The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Doolittle is a nice signing if he can stay healthy. Had a rough season last yr, but he was an absolute workhorse the prior season when the Nats won the WS.

I'll certainly give the new guy a chance, I'm sure the Reds hired a good one. I was and still am sad Thom is gone. He was enthusiastic, he was honest about the team and how they played, many home paid announcers are not that way, and he had a great repour with the Reds broadcast team.

We live in a cancel culture today where I feel we are way too quick to fire people from jobs they worked long and hard to achieve. Let's face it Thom probably rose through the ranks faster than the typical person because of his HOF father, but he still put in the work and even went into national TV. And we're talking about a 35+ year career here, not a short operation. To our knowledge he's had a good track record. One off handed comment off mic and you lose all that?? I just feel it was too much.

I'll certainly give the new guy a chance, I'm sure the Reds hired a good one. I was and still am sad Thom is gone. He was enthusiastic, he was honest about the team and how they played, many home paid announcers are not that way, and he had a great repour with the Reds broadcast team.

We live in a cancel culture today where I feel we are way too quick to fire people from jobs they worked long and hard to achieve. Let's face it Thom probably rose through the ranks faster than the typical person because of his HOF father, but he still put in the work and even went into national TV. And we're talking about a 35+ year career here, not a short operation. To our knowledge he's had a good track record. One off handed comment off mic and you lose all that?? I just feel it was too much.

One comment that we heard. The fact that he said it so casually means that he felt comfortable saying it, and he knew the audience of his co-workers wouldn't mind hearing it. Guaranteed it was not the only comment. he clearly fostered these opinions and it wasn't the first time he said things like that in his workplace. And the to try to use the "I'm a man of faith" line during the apology, please. Lots of horrible people claim to be men of faith. Good riddance Thom. You were an annoying announcer anyway, trying to be like Daddy and be tough on the home team.

Bauer to the Dodgers. This feels like Durant going to the Warriors. Kershaw is past his prime, but still really good, Buehler is a potential Ace and now you throw Bauer in there, just unbelievable.

Bauer to the Dodgers. This feels like Durant going to the Warriors. Kershaw is past his prime, but still really good, Buehler is a potential Ace and now you throw Bauer in there, just unbelievable.

Predictable, but yeah, it stinks. Rich get richer in baseball.

Dodgers are a well-ran Organization. Good for them.
Define well ran. It’s easy when you can outspend everyone. IMO, there’s no better run organization in the MLB than the Rays. Oakland is up there but with Billy Beane leaving, they could crumble. And I know Reds fans don’t want to admit it, but the Cards are also very well run.

So Bauer is now the highest paid guy in baseball. $40M to pitch 5 or 6 games a month. Salary is higher than 3 or 4 total team salaries, including the Indians.

Baseball is a great game but the MLB is mismanaging it into oblivion. They need to have a hard salary cap to curb teams like the Dodgers and Yankees. They also need to have a hard salary floor so that cheap owners (like the Dolans in Cleveland) are forced to try to be competitive, instead of just pocketing a lot of TV revenue every year. Sell the team if you do not want to compete.

So Bauer is now the highest paid guy in baseball. $40M to pitch 5 or 6 games a month. Salary is higher than 3 or 4 total team salaries, including the Indians.

Baseball is a great game but the MLB is mismanaging it into oblivion. They need to have a hard salary cap to curb teams like the Dodgers and Yankees. They also need to have a hard salary floor so that cheap owners (like the Dolans in Cleveland) are forced to try to be competitive, instead of just pocketing a lot of TV revenue every year. Sell the team if you do not want to compete.

Think the owners and MLB agree with you for the most part. The players union won't allow it. Heck, they're going to strike next year and that issues not even on the table.

I have to say, that’s one of most pro player contracts I’ve ever seen. 40 mm in yr 1 and 45 mm in yr 2, with the option to opt out after yrs 1 & 2. Insane. His agent is a hot piece of a**, but she’s also getting it done.

What are the Reds options at SS?
If we assume that the Reds could have afforded 13M for a SS this year (not sure if they could) then they should still have that in the budget. What players are out there at any position that would improve this team?

Think the owners and MLB agree with you for the most part. The players union won't allow it. Heck, they're going to strike next year and that issues not even on the table.
Yes, the owners want a hard cap and the players union objects, naturally. But if a hard floor would also be on the table, the union might see how that benefits their rank and file players. But of course most of the owners don't want a floor. I think the salary floor is as important as the cap to force some level of parity in the rosters.

Just like in politics, both sides need to compromise to accomplish the best result for all. But both sides are too stupid / stubborn to compromise, both in this MLB salary discussion and in politics. So we have grid lock in politics and a looming strike in baseball. Awesome.

If we assume that the Reds could have afforded 13M for a SS this year (not sure if they could) then they should still have that in the budget. What players are out there at any position that would improve this team?
I'll keep banging the drum for Senzel at SS. With Shogo / Castellanos / Winker the OF is fine. Spend on the bullpen if we have money to spend.

I agree. Defense only needs to be average. Get the best bats you can into the lineup.
I agree in general about Defense, but SS is the most important position in the Infield. I’m not comfortable putting someone there who hasn’t played the position in years.

Could you give some examples of being a WS caliber team with players they drafted and developed.
Buehler and Kershaw, which are 1 and 1a for Aces. Jansen, who was a stud closer for awhile. Bellinger, a recent ROY and NL MVP. Will Smith, now the Fresh Prince of Chavez Ravine. Seager, your reigning World Series MVP. Pederson as well.

Justin Turner, Chris Taylor, and Max Mincy certainly weren't studs via Free Agency. Dodgers did a great job molding them. We made key trades and always had an outstanding Farm System. Saber metrics is in play with this Organization and also they were innovative with launch angle which increases chances for home runs.

Speaking of Pederson, he and Kike' Hernandez were lost to Free Agency. Dodgers weren't willing to spend a lot of $$$ to players who don't play every day. Turner's negotiations in limbo because he wants a 4th year, and LA thinks that's risky because he'll be 40 when hypothetical Contract is up. Interesting, with all that money to throw around, they just didn't freely pay these 3. Why?

Because it's a well-ran Organization as I stated.

One comment that we heard. The fact that he said it so casually means that he felt comfortable saying it, and he knew the audience of his co-workers wouldn't mind hearing it. Guaranteed it was not the only comment. he clearly fostered these opinions and it wasn't the first time he said things like that in his workplace. And the to try to use the "I'm a man of faith" line during the apology, please. Lots of horrible people claim to be men of faith. Good riddance Thom. You were an annoying announcer anyway, trying to be like Daddy and be tough on the home team.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and Thom said it and yes, you're probably correct, this is language he probably uses...but privately. Look, each of us have a personal and private life and we seems to like to hold other more accountable than ourselves. I like Thom Brennaman, the baseball announcer. He gets paid for the way he announces games. I've never met Thom personally and don't know him personally. But is that even relevant?? Again we live in this crazy cancel culture where we take one incident and blow it out of proportion. BTW, the word Thom used was a normal part of many people's language just a few years ago.

I completely agree. Baseball is not looking out for the overall good of the game. You simply can't allow a few teams to have a giant advantage in the ability to pay players. Now, fortunately in baseball, the teams that spend the most don't always win, in fact, many times they don't win. As the Rays have shown, and the Indians actually too, you can be successful with drafting and developing.

The Reds are in communications with journeyman Jonathan Villar. Also being reported the Reds signed Dee Gordon, although he's been at 2nd base more recently.

The Reds are in communications with journeyman Jonathan Villar. Also being reported the Reds signed Dee Gordon, although he's been at 2nd base more recently.
Villar of 2019 would be a welcome addition. The 2020 version... not so much.

Maybe buy a baseball team and hire him. Nobody cares if your sad Thom was held accountable. I’m sure he’ll get a second chance down the road if he’s contrite.

Confirmed, Reds sign Dee Gordon to a minor league deal, expected to be viying for a utility role. This team could use some speed.