Northwest Ohio Realignment

Rossford will dominate boys' basketball for the next couple of years. After that, the cupboard is pretty bare. They're middle of the pack in the rest of the sports. Facilities are great. Not sure why the rest of the league has such a hang-up about two classes. The other schools have all had similar runs in football over the years.
Probably has to do with how the basketball team was assembled, size of the school, possible growing enrollment. They’re football team has the potential to be the best in the league as well.

Probably has to do with how the basketball team was assembled, size of the school, possible growing enrollment. They’re football team has the potential to be the best in the league as well.

Not until they match Eastwood in the weight room...

Demographics might change long-term with the growth starting to happen in the Crossroads area, but I don't think open enrollment is going to help the athletic programs all that much in the future. Basketball is a unique situation with kids/families who've been friends for years. Not sure it continues after they graduate.

But for football, Lima Senior might have 4 games in place automatically if this all pans out. The likelihood that they end up scheduling LCC every year in football goes up if they're both independent and need to fill games. If Toledo St. John's, Toledo Central Catholic, and Toledo St. Francis are all independent, I'd say it's likely those teams stay on the schedule during "inconvenient" weeks. So, there's a decent change Lima Senior is able to find games in weeks 1-3, then play those 4 teams throughout the rest of their schedule...that's 7 weeks of games. So you've gotta find 3 games through 7 weeks? Not awful. Not ideal, but not awful either.

And if it all pans out just right, those 3 if scheduled well could be WBL teams looking for a late season non league game.

I heard that Central would be willing to leave the TRAC for football if it solves anything. All of this really boils down to Central in football, St. John's in boys basketball, and Notre Dame in girls basketball. Those are the only 3 Catholic schools that have shown consistent high level success. I hope that the AD's and school boards look at this as a whole and not focus on just football.

For example, Whitmer and Fremont Ross in girls soccer gets smoked by SUA and NDA each year, among others. Do you think they will fare any better against Perrysburg, Northview, and Anthony Wayne?

And if it all pans out just right, those 3 if scheduled well could be WBL teams looking for a late season non league game.
I said in another thread, and I'll say it here, if Defiance leaves the WBL (I don't think they will), the WBL is more likely to cut Kenton loose, and go down to 8 teams, than invite one of Lima Senior/Liberty-Benton/Bellefontaine, or stay at 9 teams. The majority would rather just go to 8 teams than bring in someone else.

But for football, Lima Senior might have 4 games in place automatically if this all pans out. The likelihood that they end up scheduling LCC every year in football goes up if they're both independent and need to fill games. If Toledo St. John's, Toledo Central Catholic, and Toledo St. Francis are all independent, I'd say it's likely those teams stay on the schedule during "inconvenient" weeks. So, there's a decent chance Lima Senior is able to find games in weeks 1-3, then play those 4 teams throughout the rest of their schedule...that's 7 weeks of games. So you've gotta find 3 games through 7 weeks? Not awful. Not ideal, but not awful either.
Lima Senior and Trotwood would have have some nice battles down the stretch if this happens.

I said in another thread, and I'll say it here, if Defiance leaves the WBL (I don't think they will), the WBL is more likely to cut Kenton loose, and go down to 8 teams, than invite one of Lima Senior/Liberty-Benton/Bellefontaine, or stay at 9 teams. The majority would rather just go to 8 teams than bring in someone else.

I just don't buy that they would ask someone to leave. That's a difficult thing to do to a longtime member, who you have lots of established personal relationships with.

Its not a good look for sure. The same thing about not getting city league teams in.

let’s face it - the city league can be a wild card with sports both in whether they have them or how competitive they may be. And right now the Toledo City Schools - I can’t remember the last time one of them did anything in the post season. Years ago that wasn’t the case. They used to thrive in boys basketball

Umm, you typically just can't ask someone to leave.

let’s face it - the city league can be a wild card with sports both in whether they have them or how competitive they may be. And right now the Toledo City Schools - I can’t remember the last time one of them did anything in the post season. Years ago that wasn’t the case. They used to thrive in boys basketball
Rogers was state runner-up some time in the last 10 years. I can't remember when. I think they also made it to another Final Four. Rogers girls won the state title two years ago.

Why in the world would Bryan want in this and why in the world would these schools want to drive to Bryan.

Defiance, Napoleon, and Wauseon would, and those 3 are why Bryan would want in.

Plus it's not like Bryan is a BAD trip. It's an hour from west Toledo and BG, yes. But it's right on 2 and 6 is about a mile south of town (with that mile on 127). If 20 or the turnpike were preferable, it's not that far out of the way to take 15 from there.

If the dominoes fall, I think it will start in the NBC, not the TRAC.
Can you see maumee going to the nbc if woodmore and Elmwood leave? Maumee is hardly a powerhouse and plays the nbc schools in a lot of sports. If maumee is too big, who does the nbc invite? Northwood?

A
Why in the world would Bryan want in this and why in the world would these schools want to drive to Bryan.
Agreed. It is lunacy. The nll is a good, compact league. Why should the nll “save” the trac public schools?
While maumee is a small school, that doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t compete. Napoleon is smaller and competes just fine.

But for football, Lima Senior might have 4 games in place automatically if this all pans out. The likelihood that they end up scheduling LCC every year in football goes up if they're both independent and need to fill games. If Toledo St. John's, Toledo Central Catholic, and Toledo St. Francis are all independent, I'd say it's likely those teams stay on the schedule during "inconvenient" weeks. So, there's a decent chance Lima Senior is able to find games in weeks 1-3, then play those 4 teams throughout the rest of their schedule...that's 7 weeks of games. So you've gotta find 3 games through 7 weeks? Not awful. Not ideal, but not awful either.

For Lima Senior the independent route has been done. Recent scheduling ideas I've seen are encouraging. Grant it they didn't happen this year BUT Senior High was suppose to play Toledo Bowsher and Cincy Aiken this season. The last few years I've been a huge advocate of them scheduling TPS, Dayton Public and Cincy public. But yes for better or worse Lima may be in a position to have 3 or 4 auto games, grant it against some really good competition. On the plus side they're all programs Lima Senior is familiar with.

Since there are now two similar discussions going on in regards to the same topic and I can't keep either straight I'm just gonna let it be known for everyone from a Lima Senior alum that the WBL ain't seeking Lima's admission into the league and Lima ain't fighting to get in because they know they would not be welcome.

End of story for those who want to speculate on this issue.

Umm, you typically just can't ask someone to leave.

Tell that to Lima Senior in the late 90s when the GMC told us we were gonzo. Middletown tried to stand up for us but were told they'd be gone too if they didn't fall in line with the rest.

Archbold is at a decline in student enrollment in the last few years. Swanton, if anything leaves before archbold, especially cause of location and they have more student than archbold.

i don’t see the NWOAL becoming a league that we will only remember. 2 teams left the league (bryan & wauseon) so i assume two more would replace them. maybe OH or stricth???
Otsego needs to leave the garbage NBC and join the NWOAL when Wauseon and Bryan depart.

Rogers was state runner-up some time in the last 10 years. I can't remember when. I think they also made it to another Final Four. Rogers girls won the state title two years ago.
Rogers girls just won back to back state titles the boys went to the state final ‘11 and ‘13
Bowsher and Start have recent district championships. Just curious what would be wrong with Clay +1 joining the CL bringing them to 8?

Come on, Otsego finally wins the NBC in football and know the league is garbage. Thats your first football championship since Cocke, right.
From what I understand, the league has been on the verge of falling apart for years. All I hear about is what team is going to be leaving for another conference. This has gone on for some time. I don’t know who Cooke is or what Otsego’s history is. Geographically it makes sense for them. The nwoal is a better league in every sport

Can you see maumee going to the nbc if woodmore and Elmwood leave? Maumee is hardly a powerhouse and plays the nbc schools in a lot of sports. If maumee is too big, who does the nbc invite? Northwood?
If Elmwood & Woodmore both leave?

Maumee is a lot bigger than the NBC schools and has the potential to dominate. Maumee has a history of success.

Napoleon is only a little smaller than Maumee and right now is a lot better than Maumee.

Bryan is only slightly smaller than Napoleon, is a long way away, and I don't now why any NWOAL school would have any interest.

Oak Harbor is slightly smaller than Rossford and was in the SLL for 15 years. They might get asked,

Liberty-Benton is smaller than the six remaining schools and why would they leave the BVC?

Northwood was in the SLL for 15 years and left for the TAAC. They're as small as Woodmore. How unhappy they are in the TAAC I have no idea, and Northwood would have a much more difficult time winning games in the NBC.

Personally I would like to see it be Maumee & Napoleon, but adding them to replace the two smallest schools fundamentally changes the league. So without asking anyone I know at any of the schools, I'm guessing the NBC would prefer;

1. Northwood

2. Oak Harbor

3. Maumee

4. Napoleon.

Maumee is a lot bigger than the NBC schools and has the potential to dominate. Maumee has a history of success.

Napoleon is only a little smaller than Maumee and right now is a lot better than Maumee.

Bryan is only slightly smaller than Napoleon, is a long way away, and I don't now why any NWOAL school would have any interest.

Oak Harbor is slightly smaller than Rossford and was in the SLL for 15 years. They might get asked,

Liberty-Benton is smaller than the six remaining schools and why would they leave the BVC?

Northwood was in the SLL for 15 years and left for the TAAC. They're as small as Woodmore. How unhappy they are in the TAAC I have no idea, and Northwood would have a much more difficult time winning games in the NBC.

Personally I would like to see it be Maumee & Napoleon, but adding them to replace the two smallest schools fundamentally changes the league. So without asking anyone I know at any of the schools, I'm guessing the NBC would prefer;

1. Northwood

2. Oak Harbor

3. Maumee

4. Napoleon.
That is a thought out answer and I appreciate it. I agree as well. It would solve a lot of problems if Maumee and Napoleon left and would ensure the long term viability of the NLL. Clay to the NLL would be a no brainer. The debate would be between Fremont, Findlay, and Whitmer.

I would vote Findlay #1 and probably pick Fremont as they are closer in size to the rest of the NLL.

That is a thought out answer and I appreciate it. I agree as well. It would solve a lot of problems if Maumee and Napoleon left and would ensure the long term viability of the NLL. Clay to the NLL would be a no brainer. The debate would be between Fremont, Findlay, and Whitmer.

I would vote Findlay #1 and probably pick Fremont as they are closer in size to the rest of the NLL.
Findlay is a little farther and a few hundred students bigger than Ross.

I can't see it being Whitmer.

1. Northwood

2. Oak Harbor

3. Maumee

4. Napoleon.

At least Northwood has a football stadium with more than 5 rows of bleachers - since Otsego apparently needs to get out of such a "garbage" league.