True Champ or Covid Champ?

True Champ or Covid Champ?

• True

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Covid

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

LELL

This year brought many obstacles. But this year all who wanted in the playoffs were let in. Is this the first "true Champ". Last year WW was left out. They beat the eventual Champ during regular season. I say, let's keep it this way! So far I know of only one team (Northmont) that had to forfeit.
I like that the teams that lost in the playoffs can still get their 10 regular season games in before Nov 13/14. Those teams can prepare for the future by getting those games in. And the teams that are playing each other are good matchups. They may not mean anything, but they do to the underclassmen.

There were a lot more than 1 forfeit....and no, this is not the way to do it. Losing 3 or 4 league games to play a meaningless playoff game is ridiculous for probably 80% of the schools in the state.

There were a lot more than 1 forfeit....and no, this is not the way to do it. Losing 3 or 4 league games to play a meaningless playoff game is ridiculous for probably 80% of the schools in the state.
You can paly your conf games first. What's the problem?

this years set up was fun.

Northmont wasn’t the only team to forfeit but they were probably the only state contender to forfeit.

i don’t think i would complain if they kept it this way. but i’d go back to neutral sites starting with the round of 16 and giving schools a cut of ticket sales (i understand those parts are covid things)

True Champ.

And I agree it was fun, not being able to actually go to the games aside. I like the idea of teams being able to pick up more schedule after being eliminated or if they are not in play-offs. If ADs can schedule games and the community wants them, why not? If a couple teams get to play 14-15 games, then health isn't an issue, weather isn't an issue... for all the others.

In any given year any team could have an outbreak of measles, chicken pox, etc. What would be done in those circumstances? Probably forfeit their game, so covid-19 this season is no different.
The team that wins the last game of the tournament is the champ. Period.

In any given year any team could have an outbreak of measles, chicken pox, etc. What would be done in those circumstances? Probably forfeit their game, so covid-19 this season is no different.

When was the last time a game was forfeited for those diseases?

This was fine for this year but presuming next year is back to somewhat normal the season should go back to normal too. 10 game regular season then a post season is far superior to this.

This year brought many obstacles. But this year all who wanted in the playoffs were let in. Is this the first "true Champ". Last year WW was left out. They beat the eventual Champ during regular season. I say, let's keep it this way! So far I know of only one team (Northmont) that had to forfeit.
I like that the teams that lost in the playoffs can still get their 10 regular season games in before Nov 13/14. Those teams can prepare for the future by getting those games in. And the teams that are playing each other are good matchups. They may not mean anything, but they do to the underclassmen.
Sure if your a fan of one sided blowouts.

They happened before, so what's different?
Big difference this year in the playoffs verses previous years. There will always be some blowouts in the 1st round but I'd say 95% or better were this year. That doesn't include the blowouts in round 2. Some teams have no business being in the playoffs.

An all-in post-season would likely reduce the revolving door of conferences that is presently the case, since football scheduling seems to be a significant factor in all the conference movements.

That being said, in order to complete such a post-season, you have to shrink the regular season by AT LEAST one game. That would get you done in 16 week (9 regular, 7 post), and having to use the schedule going into effect for FALL 2021 where there's one less week of preseason so the season (state tournament) ends the same week it would have in 2019 (i.e. the weekend after Thanksgiving).

So far we have been lucky that - outside of Northmont - no realistic state/regional title contending team has been removed from the post-season by COVID. Therefore, at present, I would say we are getting "true" champions - as much as any winner of a tournament can be viewed as the true champion/best team.

You know kids are vaccinated against those diseases, right? So, no, any team would not have an outbreak of Chicken Pox or measles. Most high schoolers have only heard of chicken pox but have no idea what they are since they all were vaccinated for it.

Maybe teams should be on the lookout for a Polio outbreak?

True champion because the teams that are pose to be here are looking at D2 for example Massillon perry WW La Salle Avon AL Hoban and Hudson are the top 8 teams in D2 this year and are pretty much were everybody thought they will be

The argument for keeping the system as it was this year is an interesting one. It doesn't necessarily reward teams for playing a difficult schedule, but it doesn't punish them for playing a difficult schedule. If it does stay this way, you'd have to go to a 8 or 9 game regular season schedule. It would take the risk out for a lot of teams to play games they might lose because it wouldn't eliminate them from the playoffs.

I don't think they will go straight to this format permanantly, they are going to want to try the 12 team playoff format for 1 or 2 years imo.

Put an asterisk on it.
Thats right, punish the teenagers who worked hard in unbelievably difficult circumstances to succeed. Put an asterisk next to their win to tarnish it or to make it not count as much. It's amazing to me how little some people understand about what high school football is all about. The good news is regardless of idiots who believe such things, the real fun for the kids isn't being able to say they were state champions for the rest of their lives. It's the relationships they build with each other, with their coaches, and their families. The fun times they have at practice and during games. The jokes they share and tough times they endure. No one can take that away with a stupid asterisk!

Thats right, punish the teenagers who worked hard in unbelievably difficult circumstances to succeed. Put an asterisk next to their win to tarnish it or to make it not count as much. It's amazing to me how little some people understand about what high school football is all about. The good news is regardless of idiots who believe such things, the real fun for the kids isn't being able to say they were state champions for the rest of their lives. It's the relationships they build with each other, with their coaches, and their families. The fun times they have at practice and during games. The jokes they share and tough times they endure. No one can take that away with a stupid asterisk!
BULLSEYE, GridIron God! It is a true champion.

EVERYONE played under the same circumstances. If a certain team had to pause their season due to life's circumstances (covid), that would be unfortunate. That should be filed under the category of "The last time life was completely fair was........."

At least this senior class did not have their high school careers truncated due this terrible disease. Instead of other people trying to find ways to marginalize the efforts of the kids, how about applauding the administrators who worked their tails off to keep things as normal as possible and give the kids the opportunity they do have?

True champion. Not a great idea for a thread. The players have been through so much that it's borderline idiotic to say that this win doesn't count as much as others in the past. I won't make the case but you could easily plead that this year is worth more in weight than others if you wanted.

I'm not punishing anyone. An asterisk would denote that things were done differently this year.

I wholeheartedly agree with the bold part. 709 teams played football this season. 7 will win State Championships. In no way should the desire, hard work, experience, etc. be looked down upon for the 702 teams that won't win a title. As you said, no one can take that away.

You know kids are vaccinated against those diseases, right? So, no, any team would not have an outbreak of Chicken Pox or measles. Most high schoolers have only heard of chicken pox but have no idea what they are since they all were vaccinated for it.

Maybe teams should be on the lookout for a Polio outbreak?

Some kids do not get vaccinations. Religious beliefs and such so yes, it could happen. I am just giving examples of diseases, not saying they are on they way.