Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

Absolute blowout. X by 25 or more.....Northmont would of beat Springfield and Springfield defense will get torched by X. Sorry but Springfiled dont have Lakota West defense so lets talk about the next matchup.
Give me Springfield and the 35 points. How much you wanna bet?

Is that what you say during the OSU-Michigan game?
Yeah, except the ages are different. I love HS football more than the average person, but it's HS football. It's football. Even at the NFL level, the importance level in life in the big picture is pretty miniscule. I really hope it doesn't mean much more than that to most people.

I'll put it this way: if the results of Friday night are still bothering anyone to the point it affects their life any more than a few weeks after the game, either they have such a great life that they have nothing else to fret about, or they have a pretty warped sense of what's important. There's a town up near Canton like that, sad place to be.

St. Bernard is 6 miles from the south side of Wyoming..
True, but in the old Catholic district system, Bacon had a very odd geography that was given to them, which included bits and pieces around Springfield Twp, College Hill, Mt. Healthy, Winton Woods, etc. Wyoming is a neighbor to some of these somewhat geographically- it's just down the hill from Winton Woods and St X

Reactions: 4GX
St. Bernard is 6 miles from the south side of Wyoming..
It’s a straight shot down Vine Street— there’s even a city bus (Route #78) that runs that route— right by this DQ, Wyoming HS, and Roger Bacon. It’s all “Bacon” territory... when Wyoming was winning the state title back in the 1970’s, there were TONS of brown & white Bacon school jackets in the Wyoming Catholic Church (St. James of the Valley)

True, but in the old Catholic district system, Bacon had a very odd geography that was given to them, which included bits and pieces around Springfield Twp, College Hill, Mt. Healthy, Winton Woods, etc. Wyoming is a neighbor to some of these somewhat geographically- it's just down the hill from Winton Woods and St X
Basically, Roger Bacon had pretty much the entire north-central region of Cincinnati inside the I-275 beltway— from Colerain Township on the west, over to Blue Ash/Sharonville on the east... including the Greenhills-Forest Park School District (now Winton Woods SD), the Wyoming SD, the Princeton SD, Reading SD, Lockland SD, St. Bernard SD, Finneytown SD, Mt, Healthy SD, NCH SD, parts of Northwest SD, CIncinnati SD, and probably a lot more. I don’t really think it was odd— it was just the central core of Cincinnati— Purcell had the east, Elder had the west, X was overall (three states, in those days)...when Moeller and LaSalle were built in 1960, they each carved off pieces of what had “belonged“ to Purcell, Bacon, and Elder— and, in Moeller‘s case, they got the growing, expanding areas, while Purcell’s areas (Avondale, Walnut Hills, Hyde Park) rapidly began to shrink and/or die... same for Bacon, except it took longer for the (somewhat newer) growing areas in Bacon’s remaining footprint (e.g.- Forest Park, Greenhills, Springdale) to begin to shrink and die.

Is there anywhere we can see highlights or full games of Springfield?

Thanks!
-CardinalsFan
Here you go CF

Here you go CF

youtube has a highlight video of SHS v Liberty and also the Northmont game

Yeah, except the ages are different. I love HS football more than the average person, but it's HS football. It's football. Even at the NFL level, the importance level in life in the big picture is pretty miniscule. I really hope it doesn't mean much more than that to most people.

I'll put it this way: if the results of Friday night are still bothering anyone to the point it affects their life any more than a few weeks after the game, either they have such a great life that they have nothing else to fret about, or they have a pretty warped sense of what's important. There's a town up near Canton like that, sad place to be.
The ages between college and HS are not that much different. You should try attending an OSU-Michigan game sometime

How is Piqua minimizing travel time for X as it's 30 miles north of Springfield? They should have used Welcome, Centerville or Middletown?
If Piqua was the only available option, then all travel has been minimized. You can only minimize according to the parameters, i.e. 1, that exist.

The ages between college and HS are not that much different. You should try attending an OSU-Michigan game sometime
I'm sure it's great and intense. But it's a game. Putting much faith or importance in what 16-22 year old kids do is a pretty dubious thing.

From a size perspective, Piqua is certainly not the only option, and from a location perspective, the craphole that is Welcome stadium would have been ideal. However, OHSAA just can't tell a school that they have to host, the school/ district has to put their name in the ring, and it seems like a lot of schools are pretty leery of that this year. The PC/ Mentor game is being played at New Philadelphia, when there were 5-6 better options size and location wise.

youtube has a highlight video of SHS v Liberty and also the Northmont game
Thanks, will have to check them out. I'm about 3/4 into the Whitmer game, a few questions:

Does #36 strictly play safety?
#72 has some bigtime size, what are his offers? How big is the Springfield O-line across the front?
Have they played a pass first offense this year? If so, any highlights or game tape?
How representative was that of the way the Springfield D usually plays? I understand that Whitmer slooooooowed down their offense to keep the SHS defense off the field, has anyone gone up tempo?

Looks like a fast and hard hitting defense, should be a good challenge.

I'm sure it's great and intense. But it's a game. Putting much faith or importance in what 16-22 year old kids do is a pretty dubious thing.

From a size perspective, Piqua is certainly not the only option, and from a location perspective, the craphole that is Welcome stadium would have been ideal. However, OHSAA just can't tell a school that they have to host, the school/ district has to put their name in the ring, and it seems like a lot of schools are pretty leery of that this year. The PC/ Mentor game is being played at New Philadelphia, when there were 5-6 better options size and location wise.
I like Welcome Stadium, and UD Arena

Thanks, will have to check them out. I'm about 3/4 into the Whitmer game, a few questions:

Does #36 strictly play safety?
#72 has some bigtime size, what are his offers? How big is the Springfield O-line across the front?
Have they played a pass first offense this year? If so, any highlights or game tape?
How representative was that of the way the Springfield D usually plays? I understand that Whitmer slooooooowed down their offense to keep the SHS defense off the field, has anyone gone up tempo?

Looks like a fast and hard hitting defense, should be a good challenge.
Nobody has gone uptempo that I've seen but this was a shortened season. Trotwood was on the schedule and they probably would have.The 1st qtr of the Northmont game really shows off the passing game. I'll have to find out answers to the rest of your questions. But generally, Smoot gets pretty good protection. Whitmer and Fairmont both used ball control that limited the offense. SHS only had 10 minutes of possession the entire game against Whitmer but they scored 4 TDs. That, plus the 1st qtr of the NM game, will give you an idea of how quickly they can score. But, Smoot can run and they can eat clock on slow drives as well. So, they're basically what you would expect from any team at this level. But, I will point out that since the NM loss, the defense has come on very strong, especially in the 2d halves. Liberty's coach said their problem was they couldnt stop SHS's defenders. SHS shutout Liberty and Springboro,, who scored over 30 points on both Coffman and Northmont. Also, they're really passionate about getting redemption from last year and winning this game. I get the most inspiration about this from X because of how they won State with a 5-5 regular season record. That right there shows you throw out the paper and record books if you have passion and heart.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Its considered one of the best college bball venues in the country. Their attendance is up there with Duke and UNC. I do wish it wasn't so dark inside though.
I think Welcome would have been a better venue for this game though. Springfield will have to play all 4 quarters to have a chance in this one. Go Wildcats!

I think Welcome would have been a better venue for this game though. Springfield will have to play all 4 quarters to have a chance in this one. Go Wildcats!
I just think it should as close to in the middle as possible. Both teams are very good and capable of winning it all really. If SHS loses, it won't be for lack of effort or heart. They're gonna play their very best game, win or lose. I'm going on vacation to Miami Beach on Friday. So, ill be relying on Twitter updates mostly

Welcome Stadium hasn’t hosted a playoff game for a few years now after they were put on probation for the whole Dunbar throwing a game incident. DPS is not on good terms with the OHSAA.

I just think it should as close to in the middle as possible. Both teams are very good and capable of winning it all really. If SHS loses, it won't be for lack of effort or heart. They're gonna play their very best game, win or lose. I'm going on vacation to Miami Beach on Friday. So, ill be relying on Twitter updates mostly
I already took mine. :(

The
What do you mean? Its considered one of the best college bball venues in the country. Their attendance is up there with Duke and UNC. I do wish it wasn't so dark inside though.
The remodel job. I appreciated being able to see the game as I walked around the arena.

The fundraising and marketing are amazing.

After giving up 45+ yds in field position on special teams(soft yds), committing 3 personal fouls(odd for X), having 6-7 drops & not playing with their usual swagger vs the best D in Ohio (LW has been preparing for this game for 6 weeks) nor did X get any calls their way; did anyone see the blatant rouging the passer hit to helmet then a pile dive from the top rope but X gets called for grounding (which took them out of field range)?
The Bombers kept battling & the better team gutted out a win...X had 20 first downs, had 80 plays on offense & moved the ball 5x in the red zone...LW had 170 total yds w/only 9 first downs all game.
This group showed a lot this week...The Bombers have proven they can win in a shoot out or a dog fight....ring the bell... Woof!!

After giving up 45+ yds in field position on special teams(soft yds), committing 3 personal fouls(odd for X), having 6-7 drops & not playing with their usual swagger vs the best D in Ohio (LW has been preparing for this game for 6 weeks) nor did X get any calls their way; did anyone see the blatant rouging the passer hit to helmet then a pile dive from the top rope but X gets called for grounding (which took them out of field range)?
The Bombers kept battling & the better team gutted out a win...X had 20 first downs, had 80 plays on offense & moved the ball 5x in the red zone...LW had 170 total yds w/only 9 first downs all game.
This group showed a lot this week...The Bombers have proven they can win in a shoot out or a dog fight....ring the bell... Woof!!
Didn't you get the holding call at the end that nullified a game ending INT? I'll say this about SHS, the refs are never on their side.