Division 1 State Semi: St. Xavier versus Springfield

They were wondering how they lost to a Wayne team that lost to St. Ignatius, a team X beat 50-33 that year.

Scott Sollman was awesome in St. X's win over Ignatius - 6 TDs!

Ignatius's coach Kyle has said that Wayne's athleticism was a big reason the Warriors won over X and that their defensive tackles won the game as they forced Sollman to run outside where the Wayne athletes contained him.

Ignatius beat Wayne 24-10 in that state championship game with a back-up QB, a sophomore who had played that season in only the late stages of a couple varsity games, but mostly on the JV squad. It was more a team effort - defense, 2nd half adjustments and an offense that scored when it had to. Kyle has said his '99 team improved the most from game-to-game.

But now what do you think with the Cats surging? Liberty and Coffman are supposed to be better than Northmont.
They should give X some problems. Their qb is tough to handle and they have d1 talent all over the defense. I could see a low scoring game and whoever wins it won’t be by much. I would say something like 17-10 something like that

Scott Sollman was awesome in St. X's win over Ignatius - 6 TDs!

Ignatius's coach Kyle has said that Wayne's athleticism was a big reason the Warriors won over X and that their defensive tackles won the game as they forced Sollman to run outside where the Wayne athletes contained him.

Ignatius beat Wayne 24-10 in that state championship game with a back-up QB, a sophomore who had played that season in only the late stages of a couple varsity games, but mostly on the JV squad. It was more a team effort - defense, 2nd half adjustments and an offense that scored when it had to. Kyle has said his '99 team improved the most from game-to-game.

‘99 was Steve Sollmann. Scott, his brother, also a great back,played in the early 90’s.

They should give X some problems. Their qb is tough to handle and they have d1 talent all over the defense. I could see a low scoring game and whoever wins it won’t be by much. I would say something like 17-10 something like that
I think SHS will win 21-17, in a late 4th Qtr drive being down 17-14.

Yes, they always play a meat grinder schedule. But as we saw in 1999, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. SHS reminds me of Lima in 1996 who was the big underdog in the state tournament. After they beat Elder, they dethroned Ignatius who everyone said they had no chance against. I really think SHS is having that type of year, especially with the statement the defense made against Liberty.
Two questions
Have you seen X play this year? Last year?

What possible bearing could a 1999 game have in 2020?

Coach Douglass has done a really good job guiding the Wildcats back to this point given how much talent graduated last year and how many key players on this year's team are sophomores and juniors. Though not overly impressive at times on the scoreboard, they've found ways to consistently compete and win.

Anything extra at this point is icing on the cake IMO. Springfield is going to be really, really good next year with what they have coming back, and at this point probably on a yearly basis with what they have coming up as long as Coach Douglass is around.

Coach Douglass has done a really good job guiding the Wildcats back to this point given how much talent graduated last year and how many key players on this year's team are sophomores and juniors. Though not overly impressive at times on the scoreboard, they've found ways to consistently compete and win.

Anything extra at this point is icing on the cake IMO. Springfield is going to be really, really good next year with what they have coming back, and at this point probably on a yearly basis with what they have coming up as long as Coach Douglass is around.
When it was North and South, this is what we all dreamed it could be like.

Nope. Spect became head coach in 2003. No relevance. You’ve only seen highlights but make predictions. Very interesting
I can make predictions based on my knowledge of my team. I did that in our last game against Liberty and my predictions were spot on. I can also read news reports about X, watch video highlights of them and talk to X fans to learn more about them.. So, I don't have to be an X insider or watch their games in person. And last year, I predicted the SHS-Elder game would be back n forth and decided by 7 points or less. So, who says you make the rules or decide the criteria is necessary for someone to make predictions about their own team?

Last edited:
Well you were wrong about the coach and relevance. Just find it interesting that you only have one side of the facts. Incomplete info at best So.......you go man After all its a sports forum. Everyone has an opinion. No matter what

Well you were wrong about the coach and relevance. Just find it interesting that you only have one side of the facts. Incomplete info at best So.......you go man After all its a sports forum. Everyone has an opinion. No matter what

Oops I just read this. Lol lol

Based on your logic, no one can make any predictions. How many SHS games have you been to? And, Specht played for X in the 1980s. It is the same system and program. Plus, X is the first 5-5 team to win a state championship.

Based on your logic, no one can make any predictions. How many SHS games have you been to? And, Specht played for X in the 1980s. It is the same system and program. Plus, X is the first 5-5 team to win a state championship.
Sorry no. There are plenty of opportunities to find film. And I have not made a prediction
Same system. Hardly. Watch film. Educate yourself. Do you drive with your eyes closed. I mean you can. Just not advisable
..... but you go guy

It's definitely not the same system X brought in a new OC last year and he installed a completely new offense. The defensive scheme is the same.

As long as the regional alignment stays the same, they are going to be a final four threat every year for the foreseeable future.
That's very true. R4 is too much of a meat grinder if they moved Dayton and Spfld back into it. It definitely takes some luck to advance there. And, repeating as regional champion there is extremely rare.

It's definitely not the same system X brought in a new OC last year and he installed a completely new offense. The defensive scheme is the same.
Ya. Anyone who’s seen anything other than highlights the last two years could surmise that

Now, let's say SHS demolishes X. What do you think their odds are against PC?
In my humble opinion, from just reading news and posts and watching their seemingly dominating scoring, I would say that PC is the best team in the state and their coaches know how to get them ready for the big game. Hopefully, the Cats have a chance to be that team next year,

Sorry no. There are plenty of opportunities to find film. And I have not made a prediction
Same system. Hardly. Watch film. Educate yourself. Do you drive with your eyes closed. I mean you can. Just not advisable
..... but you go guy
Again see above. I don't have to be some big expert on X. I can go by their news reports, video highlights and interviews from this year. Who made you the governing authoritative body about this?

Calm down. You are entitled to your opinion. I’m sure you’ll be right. Hopefully Springfield concentrates on those highlights and 1999 game films. Good luck.

question how does state finals work this year? Will d1 still go next week seeing as how d1 is in state semis and other divisions are in regional finals

In my humble opinion, from just reading news and posts and watching their seemingly dominating scoring, I would say that PC is the best team in the state and their coaches know how to get them ready for the big game. Hopefully, the Cats have a chance to be that team next year,
I agree from news reports on PC, they've been pretty dominant all year long. SHS hasn't but they've definitely grown, evolved and gelled into a much more dominant team, especially on defense. Alot of people were pretty surprised that Liberty never scored.

Calm down. You are entitled to your opinion. I’m sure you’ll be right. Hopefully Springfield concentrates on those highlights and 1999 game films. Good luck.
But I do know that based on this entire season as a whole, X has been pretty dominant and they've only lost to powerhouse teams from Indiana. That with their history and tradition makes them the favorite in this game. But, I sense an upset special coming!