Week 1: Lasalle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elder has the ability to be good as the season moves on. However, this is about the worst matchup possible given the circumstances. I think LS wins easily, something like 35-14. Too many question marks on the lines, inexperienced QB going up vs the best secondary in the state.

Elder is usually good at having a fast start. If they can get the running game going and if the defense (with all the returning starters) can keep them in the game, I can see Elder pulling off the win.

I agree that Elder is a big underdog in week one.

Elder 24
Lasalle 21

Lasalle will send the house against an inexperienced oline, but Ramsey will have a good game plan to counter that. Elder has the advantage that Lasalle has no tape yet on a new Elder offense. It will be tough for them to prepare for Elder with 2 different but good QBs. Elder knows what Lasalle has.

Elder is usually good at having a fast start. If they can get the running game going and if the defense (with all the returning starters) can keep them in the game, I can see Elder pulling off the win.

I agree that Elder is a big underdog in week one.
The Defense is solid in the back half, but the DL is a giant ?.

Elder has the ability to be good as the season moves on. However, this is about the worst matchup possible given the circumstances. I think LS wins easily, something like 35-14. Too many question marks on the lines, inexperienced QB going up vs the best secondary in the state.

As it always seems, LS have question marks in my eyes on the DL. Although, I've heard there is a kid who is quite impressive.

You're absolutely right, however, in the advantages you list for the Lancers on paper. But it's a GCL tilt at The Pit, so 35-14 is a bit much for my taste.

I think 35-14 is a fairly reasonable prediction. Elder loses A LOT. I know LaSalle lost some of their key pieces, but they bring back more than Elder.

Key for the Panthers will be:
-limit big plays defensively
-keep Lancer offense off the field by controlling pace and converting 3rd downs
-win turnover battle

Some of those are very cliche' things but in a GCL game those are very important.

I think 35-14 is a fairly reasonable prediction. Elder loses A LOT. I know LaSalle lost some of their key pieces, but they bring back more than Elder.

Key for the Panthers will be:
-limit big plays defensively
-keep Lancer offense off the field by controlling pace and converting 3rd downs
-win turnover battle

Some of those are very cliche' things but in a GCL game those are very important.

That’s where I think the game is going to turn. If Hambleton avoids throwing multiple picks, maybe they can keep it close by bleeding clock and running the ball.

Also, no idea what to expect from STs. However, Elder is better suited squibbing the Kickoff than giving LS a chance to return.

This is a pretty thorough preview on Lasalle this year. It's a little old though, and Jaylen Norwood transferred out of Lasalle. I'm also not sure if the transfer from Maryland and the transfer from Centerville actually enrolled in school or not.

This is a pretty thorough preview on Lasalle this year. It's a little old though, and Jaylen Norwood transferred out of Lasalle. I'm also not sure if the transfer from Maryland and the transfer from Centerville actually enrolled in school or not.

They are there.

Do you think 4 football related transfers in 2 years is suspicious?

tball 2019 Ben Blevins Little Miami to Lasalle
2019 Paul Heywood Centerville to Lasalle
2020 Ben Schleiff Maryland to Lasalle
2020 Will Heffner Centerville to Lasalle

Not really. I have no idea the circumstances surrounding these kids, but families are going to do what they're going to do. I'm sure athletics had a lot to do with Blevins, Heywood and Heffner. Probably not all of it. I do think it's pretty absurd to think the Maryland kid moved 600 miles across the country just to play football at La Salle. The family probably just moved and made their choice of schools. I'm not even sure what kind of factor he'll be on the field.

I do think it's pretty absurd to think the Maryland kid moved 600 miles across the country just to play football at La Salle. The family probably just moved and made their choice of schools. I'm not even sure what kind of factor he'll be on the field.

I would think he will have a role on the offense at WR/Slot. He's supposed to be pretty fast and athletic kid. I think most people moving to the Cincinnati area from out of state would typically move to the east side and attend Moeller, Lakota West, Mason, or St. Xavier.

I heard STs struggled in the scrimmage. One caveat being the Kicker is a kid on the Soccer team who wasn’t able to attend the scrimmage. Still, worried about the Punting situation. Kicking usually works itself out, but if they have issues Punting, it really hurts the Defense by shortening the field.

Elder 24
Lasalle 21

Lasalle will send the house against an inexperienced oline, but Ramsey will have a good game plan to counter that. Elder has the advantage that Lasalle has no tape yet on a new Elder offense. It will be tough for them to prepare for Elder with 2 different but good QBs. Elder knows what Lasalle has.

Elder/Ramsey have a new offense? Care to elaborate a little?

Do you think 4 football related transfers in 2 years is suspicious?

2019 Ben Blevins Little Miami to Lasalle
2019 Paul Heywood Centerville to Lasalle
2020 Ben Schleiff Maryland to Lasalle
2020 Will Heffner Centerville to Lasalle

I can tell you right now if my kid was playing for a not so good football program and he had significant talent I would strongly consider moving or having him transfer to play for a coach like Pat Mclaughlin. There just aren't enough good things to say about him. He is one of the best high school coaches in the state and an even better person. His leadership qualities are things you read about. It will not surprise me if he is coaching in the major college ranks some day like Kerry Combs.

I can tell you right now if my kid was playing for a not so good football program and he had significant talent I would strongly consider moving or having him transfer to play for a coach like Pat Mclaughlin. There just aren't enough good things to say about him. He is one of the best high school coaches in the state and an even better person. His leadership qualities are things you read about. It will not surprise me if he is coaching in the major college ranks some day like Kerry Combs.
Cool your jets down. He is a very good coach, but he’s miles from Kerry Coombs. I believe Coombs had already won his title when he was McLaughlin’s age. Remember when you told everyone David Afari would single handily carry whatever team he played for to a state title? He was a really good player, but not even close to someone like Kiner.

Ohio is full of good high school coaches. Ramsey and Specht both could have jumped to the college ranks if they wanted to, and I think they both could have moved up to be coordinators at the college level. My point is your explanation doesn't apply. 4 transfers in 2 years is fishy. Lasalle doesn't win state last year or GCL without Blevins and Haywood. Now they get another Centerville player that just happens to fill a need spot.

Ohio is full of good high school coaches. Ramsey and Specht both could have jumped to the college ranks if they wanted to, and I think they both could have moved up to be coordinators at the college level. My point is your explanation doesn't apply. 4 transfers in 2 years is fishy. Lasalle doesn't win state last year or GCL without Blevins and Haywood. Now they get another Centerville player that just happens to fill a need spot.
Who cares .... do you know all the information about the families that transferred ? Maybe they had a fall out with a coach at the public school. Maybe their financial situation changed . Maybe they wanted to be apart of something special and didn’t decide in time . People and their opinions can change however they choose. Recruiting goes on everywhere or promotion of ones school choice for that matter. Remember kids can’t pick their parents or their parents actions.

Cool your jets down. He is a very good coach, but he’s miles from Kerry Coombs. I believe Coombs had already won his title when he was McLaughlin’s age. Remember when you told everyone David Afari would single handily carry whatever team he played for to a state title? He was a really good player, but not even close to someone like Kiner.

Mclaughlin has won 3 state titles in the last 10 years. His first two were with Moeller as the offensive coordinator and everyone knows when Pat left Moeller that program tanked. Talk to any parent on those Moeller back to back state title teams and they will tell you Pat was the key component. Ramsey and Specht are phenomenal coaches as well. Pat has already coached in the college ranks and those around him know it is something that still interest him. Mclaughlin and Combs are very similar in so many ways.

The kid I talked about was Hunter Anderson, so not sure where you are getting the David Afari information. Hunter got injured and was never 100 percent after that. Before his injury his explosiveness was major D1 legit and the previous Lakota West Coach lost his mojo.

Mclaughlin has won 3 state titles in the last 10 years. His first two were with Moeller as the offensive coordinator and everyone knows when Pat left Moeller that program tanked. Talk to any parent on those Moeller back to back state title teams and they will tell you Pat was the key component. Ramsey and Specht are phenomenal coaches as well. Pat has already coached in the college ranks and those around him know it is something that still interest him. Mclaughlin and Combs are very similar in so many ways.

The kid I talked about was Hunter Anderson, so not sure where you are getting the David Afari information. Hunter got injured and was never 100 percent after that. Before his injury his explosiveness was major D1 legit and the previous Lakota West Coach lost his mojo.

Coombs built Colerain up from nothing, McClaughlin is walking into an established powerhouse. He’s a good coach, but you’re underselling Coombs by a ton. This is clearly based more on your personal feelings of him than logic.

Last edited:
Who cares .... do you know all the information about the families that transferred ? Maybe they had a fall out with a coach at the public school. Maybe their financial situation changed . Maybe they wanted to be apart of something special and didn’t decide in time . People and their opinions can change however they choose. Recruiting goes on everywhere or promotion of ones school choice for that matter. Remember kids can’t pick their parents or their parents actions.

There are many reasons why a student might transfer schools. There's nothing wrong with that. There are very specific rules from the OHSAA on recruiting though. 7 pages worth of rules and information.

Here is one that may be occurring.
Q15. We have heard that some schools encourage (subtly or not-so-subtly) or otherwise benefit from their current students or former players visiting students, watching them play sports and making contact with them or their parents to suggest that the student join his/her team. Is this OK? A15. In short, no. While we recognize that this type of activity may be occurring, it is no more acceptable than recruiting which is done by adults. The bylaw specifically references that recruiting is defined as the “use of influence by any person connected or not connected with the school to secure the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.”

Last edited:
I’m still pissed off they made Mitchell sit out the 2nd half of the yr but Horton could somehow play 3 full seasons for 3 difft schools.

I still think this game will be closer than everyone is predicting. Lasalle is the heavy favorite. Elder's depth should help neutralize Lasalle's talent. Payne will be trying to play both RB and LB without the benefit of a player like Porter sharing the load. Smith is also trying to play DB and WR on a hot, humid night. If I'm Elder, I'm running a WR at Smith on a streak every play just to get him tired so he cannot go in on offense. They should also send running plays at Payne with their biggest lineman leading the way to wear him down.

Elder is better than people think. It will not surprise me if Elder wins. Elder needs to control the clock in make this into a smash mouth football game. Lasalle is going to want to play fast pace and up tempo on offense. I see Elder running a ton of counters and throwing a lot of short passes. Watch out for the Elder Tight End, he could have a huge game.

Elder is better than people think. It will not surprise me if Elder wins. Elder needs to control the clock in make this into a smash mouth football game. Lasalle is going to want to play fast pace and up tempo on offense. I see Elder running a ton of counters and throwing a lot of short passes. Watch out for the Elder Tight End, he could have a huge game.

Elder does have some targets that are tall and can go up high and get it. This should be a fun game to watch. Ramsey should have some things up his sleeve for the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.