No sports with remote learning is Cuyahoga County Board of Health’s recommendation

If they're not safe at school, why would congregating for sports be much different?

This is not unexpected.
While this is its own separate argument in and of itself, the fact of the matter is this is precisely how more and more administrators/the public/bureaucrats will see it. I think what most on this board fail to realize is high school football/sports fandom doesn't carry the reach outside the walls of Yappi.com that we think it does. I anticipate seeing some districts getting hung up on the black-and-white thought process of "no school = no sports." I also don't think the absence of a fall football season will be as significant politically in Ohio as some may think: doubt enough Ohioans are all-of-the-sudden going to have their neutral/positive opinions on DeWine turn sour because he didn't give the green light to football by the time that it had proven to be imperative.

These people are not too bright.
Covid is less dangerous to kids than the flu and lightning yet these idiots want to close down?
Kids generally do not spread the virus and there are no cases of student to teacher transmission.

Demand a science based explanation! They are destroying lives.
Someone needs to stop this insanity, for the children!

These people are not too bright.
Covid is less dangerous to kids than the flu and lightning yet these idiots want to close down?
Kids generally do not spread the virus and there are no cases of student to teacher transmission.

Demand a science based explanation! They are destroying lives.
Someone needs to stop this insanity, for the children!
Science, common sense and reason have been left behind a long time ago. Fear driven panicked knee-jerk reactions are the name of the game now. Kids and their futures are the least of anyone's concerns and that is truly depressing.

Health Boards are really nothing but leftist fronts when it comes to this virus. There's a reason they were largely anonymous before now. Kids have been playing sports all summer but suddenly it's unsafe?

Health Boards are really nothing but leftist fronts when it comes to this virus. There's a reason they were largely anonymous before now. Kids have been playing sports all summer but suddenly it's unsafe?
Funny how all of a sudden Health Boards are Leftist! Just a month ago the reason that there was no national plan was because those on the right insisted that local Health Boards knew best. Doesn't go how you want and they are all "Leftists". Have you ever dealt with a Board of Health. Leftists has not been my experience anywhere in the country. I've dealt with a ton. People have jobs and responsibilities that I'm sure they take seriously. This is a case of be careful what you ask for.

Yesterday NY Times article that children are more likely to spread the virus than adults---maybe not get as sick as adults, but more dangerous to be around!!

"Still, experts were alarmed to learn that young children may carry significant amounts of the coronavirus."

“I’ve heard lots of people saying, ‘Well, kids aren’t susceptible, kids don’t get infected.’ And this clearly shows that’s not true,” said Stacey Schultz-Cherry, a virologist at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“I think this is an important, really important, first step in understanding the role that kids are playing in transmission.”

They're communist scumbags who are trying to make America depressed and suicidal and trying to brainwash the blame on the orange boogeyman. Its about the election and always been about the election.

They're communist scumbags who are trying to make America depressed and suicidal and trying to brainwash the blame on the orange boogeyman. Its about the election and always been about the election.

Gosh i hope this isn't the case now that Trump's talking about delaying the election until it's safe for everyone to vote in person. We'll never beat this thing until his ratings go up.

Right, two prominent right wingers dying to own the libs

This is only a recommendation - correct?

And it's a recommendation made by people who are probably unwilling to take any more than the very slightest risk. It's like the doctor who tells her own injured athlete son that he needs to be on crutches for only 3 days, but tells every other athlete with a similar injury that he must use crutches for 3 weeks. The overly cautious this-way-you-can't-blame-me-if-something-goes-wrong approach has probably contributed to this recommendation (and other recommendations like it).

Per radio report: Gilmour, Hawken, US, Laurel, HB, and Lawrence are suspending athletics.

Here is what other schools are doing class-wise:

Last edited:
I would argue that remote learning would be good for athletes. You keep them in a so-called bubble! They do there school work during day then go to practice and then go home. The only kids they are around are there team. Your don’t put them in general population so to speak. That was going to be recommendation at our school for athletes if we went back in person. The remote learning could be good for sports to survive in the fall. People need think outside the box, and try do whatever we can to fight through virus, and be safe as possible. So only contact the football team is with coaches, and there teammates! Putting 30 people in classroom is more dangerous that being outside where you can spread out break groups in 10. So countries and cities that are going remote learning should say can we still do extracurricular activity, and still be safe, and the answer yes you can.

I would argue that remote learning would be good for athletes. You keep them in a so-called bubble! They do there school work during day then go to practice and then go home. The only kids they are around are there team. Your don’t put them in general population so to speak. That was going to be recommendation at our school for athletes if we went back in person. The remote learning could be good for sports to survive in the fall. People need think outside the box, and try do whatever we can to fight through virus, and be safe as possible. So only contact the football team is with coaches, and there teammates! Putting 30 people in classroom is more dangerous that being outside where you can spread out break groups in 10. So countries and cities that are going remote learning should say can we still do extracurricular activity, and still be safe, and the answer yes you can.
It's probably true that they've already been in the general population for 5 of the 6 months that the virus has been here - they've already been exposed to it.

This is a bold suggestion, but it’s also refreshing to read something on here that is outside-the-box thinking for a change. Thank you for sharing this!

Yesterday NY Times article that children are more likely to spread the virus than adults---maybe not get as sick as adults, but more dangerous to be around!!

Huh? Where exactly did you glean that anecdote from the article? Here's what I read:

"That measurement does not necessarily prove children are passing the virus to others."

"The study is not without caveats: It was small, and did not specify the participants’ race or sex, or whether they had underlying conditions. The tests looked for viral RNA, genetic pieces of the coronavirus, rather than the live virus itself. (Its genetic material is RNA, not DNA.)"

“I suspect that it probably will translate into meaning that there is more actual virus there as well, but we can’t say that without seeing the data,” said Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside.

The only thing the article SUGGESTS is that children MAY be just as capable of adults as spreading the virus.

My only hope is that these Boards of Health are providing the schools concrete data to suggest remote learning and cancellation of sports are a necessary evil to combat the spread of the virus. Specifically:

1. Confirmed infection rates among the 0-18 age group;
2. The percentage of infected individuals in that age group that are symptomatic;
3. The percentage of the symptomatic that have required hospitalization;
4. The percentage of the infected w/ underlying conditions;
5. Death rates; and
6. What their contact tracing has revealed about the likelihood that this age group is passing the virus.

I would venture to guess none of this information is being provided, and they are instead relying on the generic national numbers which presently paint a very bleak picture.

Because they are doing it now.
Not everywhere. Which is currently an issue.

The point is districts are deciding its not safe to have in school learning. Yet are bending over backwards to try and keep sports, primarily football. Shouldn't schools care primarily about.... School?

Guys look at the MLB, no way can you have basketball or football this year. It’s not about the kids dying, almost none will, but this stuff is wiping out old people. Are we going to really risk killing off our senior citizens so Joey can have his senior year of football? This is absurd and bigger than sports.

I by no means am some bleeding heart liberal, but I’m also not a moron. Coaches are going to do whatever possible to coverup cases so they can play Friday

Guys look at the MLB, no way can you have basketball or football this year. It’s not about the kids dying, almost none will, but this stuff is wiping out old people. Are we going to really risk killing off our senior citizens so Joey can have his senior year of football? This is absurd and bigger than sports.

I by no means am some bleeding heart liberal, but I’m also not a moron. Coaches are going to do whatever possible to coverup cases so they can play Friday
You're correct about coaches (and you can include players and parents too) covering up cases.

But you're off the mark on the increased risks to the elderly. It's not as if all the teens have been living in a bubble, free of any exposure to the virus, and now suddenly they'll be among each other and the virus will spread like fire, creating a mountain of additional risk for the vulnerable.

The teens have been interacting with a lot of other teens - and with co-workers and family members - for 5 of the past 6 months! In the worst case scenario, holding hs football practices and games is going to create no more than an anthill of additional risk to the elderly. It would be wrong to take away a great opportunity for kids by cancelling fall sports - we have an obligation to them too!

You're correct about coaches (and you can include players and parents too) covering up cases.

But you're off the mark on the increased risks to the elderly. It's not as if all the teens have been living in a bubble, free of any exposure to the virus, and now suddenly they'll be among each other and the virus will spread like fire, creating a mountain of additional risk for the vulnerable.

The teens have been interacting with a lot of other teens - and with co-workers and family members - for 5 of the past 6 months! In the worst case scenario, holding hs football practices and games is going to create no more than an anthill of additional risk to the elderly. It would be wrong to take away a great opportunity for kids by cancelling fall sports - we have an obligation to them too!
We have an obligation to keep them safe. If you cannot regularly test ALL high school athletes then we cannot reasonably play contact sports. Huge different between interacting with people and tackling them