Dewine to Announce Football Decision Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teachers complaining about their hours is somewhat amusing. I respect the heck out of teachers.....the good ones at least but every weekend off, every holiday off, summers off, Christmas break off, yeah. My job, many guys are scheduled 12-16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week AND we have worked throughout this whole pandemic. 700 of us, many of whom would be considered to be in the high risk category of getting the virus, are able to go to work everyday. We have had exactly 1 person test positive and he got it from his elderly grandparents very early on in March. I chuckle when I read some of these posts on here from the teachers and their fears about going back to work.
Read an article yesterday that I thought put this in great perspective. Here is a great excerpt that goes with what you are saying.

“Do you want to end up losing your life savings so that the old person you don’t know can live?”
I asked if he intended to say that Americans were going to have to die to save the economy. Public health and private profit were at odds, he answered, and one was going to win out. “By focusing on the economy, a lot of people are going to get sick. And if we focus on public health, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs,” he said. “I know which way it’s going to end, but you can’t say it. You sound insensitive. In today’s world, everybody’s going to attack you.”

-This is the reality of this situation I think.

Where are you coming up with this formula for retirement pension. Prior to 2016 ...it was your average of your 3 highest Salaries and then you would take a percentage for your pension amount . At 30 years you received like 67% of that salary number . Then for the next 4 years one would add about 2.5 percent for each year. So if you retired after 34 years the percentage would be around 77. So if you averaged $100,000 in 3 highest years , the pension started at $77,000 a year. Then when you went 35 years one would receive an 11% additional bump. So I teach 35 years and my pension is 88% of that salary number . So of course most teachers would try for 35 years as that increase is large . Think about it $88,000 a year to start with for life before including through the years cost of living raises. Great pension. That has changed . I dont have all the facts but 35 years is minimum now for 67% and some age requirement. I don’t believe there is anywhere where this 80% number exists anymore. I could be wrong. Most teachers that teach in metropolitan city areas are finishing up with salaries between $90,000 and $105,000.
Anyone interested may go to buckeyeinstitute.org and look up their favorite teacher or public employee. I am married to a teacher, who loves her job and compensation, but encourages any other teacher who doesn’t to try something else.
The reality in some states the pensions for public employees are in a different stratosphere than Social Security.

The reality in some states the pensions for public employees are in a different stratosphere than Social Security.
They should be since they can't get social security and the teachers put in much more than others who put into social security.

Something all too many fail to understand is social security is not meant to be your sole income at retirement. Regardless of any profession, the overwhelming majority don't save nearly enough for retirement. Too much of "keeping up with the Joneses" and people trying to achieve status symbols.

web1_EdEZ0GMXkAELPlL.jpg

As best as I can tell off-hand, the following counties were added "Level 3": Allen, Athens, Delaware, Licking, Richland and Union.

Not good.

(Always interesting to notice which counties recently added to the list are the counties of COVID-truthing posters. I see that Richland made it.)

One the positive note, which you shockingly failed to mention, Butler and Hamilton counties while remaining red were taken off of the "watch list" as things have improved in those places in the last week.

One the positive note, which you shockingly failed to mention, Butler and Hamilton counties while remaining red were taken off of the "watch list" as things have improved in those places in the last week.
They're still on the "watch list", so to speak. They just don't have a star on them.

They should be since they can't get social security and the teachers put in much more than others who put into social security.

Something all too many fail to understand is social security is not meant to be your sole income at retirement. Regardless of any profession, the overwhelming majority don't save nearly enough for retirement. Too much of "keeping up with the Joneses" and people trying to achieve status symbols.
Agree. That's why I don't buy that teachers are underpaid or are not"valued". They get paid well enough to put a lot of money into their pension and still make a descent living while working half the year. Not to mention the double dipping.

Agree. That's why I don't buy that teachers are underpaid or are not"valued". They get paid well enough to put a lot of money into their pension and still make a descent living while working half the year. Not to mention the double dipping.
You do realize that almost half of teachers never work the 5 years to get vested in their pension (10 years in 16 states) and an only 20% of all teachers get full pension across the country.

Must be all those huge perks people keep talking about .

I'm a public school teacher and strongly support the regular school experience and school sports. I haven't accurately tallied the position taken by yappi posters who are teachers (or spouses of one), but I think the media is exaggerating the number of teachers who are afraid and fighting against regular school.

The media doesn't care to hear what a teacher like me thinks because my let's-just-be-same-as-usual position on the matter draws a yawn from readers, so the numerous teachers like me are underrepresented in the reporting.

At least I hope so!!
Thanks for your support for Joe Biden as President.

Actually, you're right. They're not on what the state is pronouncing as the "Watch List", which is an absolutely ridiculous designation for the state to even make if the only difference is a "star" put on the county with absolutely no difference in mandate or policy. As if the COVID-19 situation in Athens County should be any more concerning than any other county on level 3, let alone the ones with higher population density.

For all intents and purposes, Level 3 may as well be the unofficial watch list as it's considered "high risk exposure and spread." But, the state doesn't call it that. SMH

Dewine calls a special press conference today. Speculation is that he will not reopen schools in the fall and cancel fall sports. No official word yet, just speculation.
Yes, with all of the things going on in Ohio and this country....covid....racial tensions....unemployment....etc....Dewine is focused on HS football. ?

You do realize that almost half of teachers never work the 5 years to get vested in their pension (10 years in 16 states) and an only 20% of all teachers get full pension across the country.

Must be all those huge perks people keep talking about .
Sounds like some decided that being a teacher was not what they wanted. The others I guess wanted to retire early and didn't get their full pension. Having options is a great thing.

DeWine on reopening. Looks like his decision will rest on whether or not Ohioans can take personal responsibility and bring down the cases. Otherwise.......

DeWine also referenced K-12 schools, a contentious topic nationally. President Donald Trump’s administration is pushing to reopen schools in the fall, with the president recently threatening to reconsider federal funding for public schools depending on how states approach the subject.

“What we do today, tomorrow, the next day is going to determine what’s going to happen,” DeWine said on Thursday.

Read an article yesterday that I thought put this in great perspective. Here is a great excerpt that goes with what you are saying.

“Do you want to end up losing your life savings so that the old person you don’t know can live?”
I asked if he intended to say that Americans were going to have to die to save the economy. Public health and private profit were at odds, he answered, and one was going to win out. “By focusing on the economy, a lot of people are going to get sick. And if we focus on public health, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs,” he said. “I know which way it’s going to end, but you can’t say it. You sound insensitive. In today’s world, everybody’s going to attack you.”

-This is the reality of this situation I think.

Man that rich guy in the story is a complete ahole--unfortunately the 1%'ers feel that way today in America--"it's OK if an old person you don't know dies from COVID" ---it's return to the Great Gatsby days in case posters have read that novel in their HS career.

Teachers pay 14% of their salary into their retirement system. Private employees pay 6.2% into Social Security. When someone is contributing more than twice as much into their retirement, should they not also receive a lot more in return?

Ok, so bad teachers work few hours. The good ones, even the most organized are pouring in ungodly hours to do everything as best they can.
Some of my best teachers and friends can tell you they show up at 7am and go home at 3:30. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you have to work long hours. It just means you are good at what you do.

Have you taught before? Wondering when you lesson planned? Ever teach, then coach, then go home and spend time with spouse and kids, then lesson plan... which may keep you up until 10 if kids go bed between 8-9 pm.

But go ahead, tell me how you would organize as a teacher... you seem like an expert...
You seem like a whiner and I am no expert. I never said I was never up until 10. But I've never had a year working until 10 every night. In fact I've never had a week working until 10 every night.

Heard CKnights in Allen County has Covid? Looks like he won’t be watching football this Fall in a RED COUNTY where nothing is happening at all. Hope he is okay in all honesty.

Teachers pay 14% of their salary into their retirement system. Private employees pay 6.2% into Social Security. When someone is contributing more than twice as much into their retirement, should they not also receive a lot more in return?
Bingo parent--Pension envy!! I think all of the criticizers of teachers "retirement" should start paying into their retirement 14% of each paycheck at age 21 until age 60 and see what they have when they finish working--teachers don't have a choice as it's automatically deducted just like taxes--probably be a nice little nest egg at the end--as well as buying insurance when young to get the best rates!!

Bingo parent--Pension envy!! I think all of the criticizers of teachers "retirement" should start paying into their retirement 14% of each paycheck at age 21 until age 60 and see what they have when they finish working--teachers don't have a choice as it's automatically deducted just like taxes--probably be a nice little nest egg at the end--as well as buying insurance when young to get the best rates!!
Yeah, I think I said that. The dispute is if teachers are underpaid.

And then there is this story from Florida Sun Sentinel saying "That scenario is nonsense,” he said. “It is not consistent with the operations at the site.”
"As Florida reported the largest single-day increase in positive coronavirus cases anywhere in the United States since the beginning of the pandemic, social media began buzzing with people who claim they left a coronavirus test site because of a long line, but they still received a positive test result.
While this scenario sounds scary, there is no proof to back it up.
The Florida Department of Health, which is responsible for releasing information about testing said contact information for individuals at drive-thru testing sites is collected once they are about to be tested. If an individual provided their information, it is likely that they were also tested, “At this time, we have not had any reports of individuals receiving results from the site without being tested. Results are distributed via labs and questions about false results should be directed to the appropriate testing lab,” the Department of Health said.
At least four companies who each operate multiple test sites in South Florida say this scenario is highly unlikely."

Hard to believe conflicting stories from Florida about accurate testing although their Gov DeSantis was gleefully dancing with Pence 6 weeks ago about low numbers so I'm sure he isn't for high positive testing results--why would labs want #'s to be wrong as they get same amount per test performed whether it's positive or negative result--very curious, but we know Florida is a pretty screwed up place!!
This actually happened to my brothers friend in Cincinnati. Left a COVID testing line for long wait times and received a positive test in the mail.

Yeah, I think I said that. The dispute is if teachers are underpaid.
That answer would be "YES" figuring most Ohio teachers start at $33,000-$37,000 with a bachelors degree--

"An early look at salary offers for 2019 college graduates, released by pay consultancy Korn Ferry in May, showed that Class of 2019 graduates with bachelor's degrees will earn on average $51,347 annually". That's why many educators go back and spend another $15,000 + to get a Masters Degree to increase their yearly wages and expertise or be able to go into Counseling or Administration.

That answer would be "YES" figuring most Ohio teachers start at $33,000-$37,000 with a bachelors degree--

"An early look at salary offers for 2019 college graduates, released by pay consultancy Korn Ferry in May, showed that Class of 2019 graduates with bachelor's degrees will earn on average $51,347 annually". That's why many educators go back and spend another $15,000 + to get a Masters Degree to increase their yearly wages and expertise or be able to go into Counseling or Administration.

Sounds about right considering that the school year is 180 days. Literally less than 1/2 the days in the year. I'm willing to bet the non teachers work a heck of a lot more than that.

Teachers complaining about their hours is somewhat amusing. I respect the heck out of teachers.....the good ones at least but every weekend off, every holiday off, summers off, Christmas break off, yeah. My job, many guys are scheduled 12-16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week AND we have worked throughout this whole pandemic. 700 of us, many of whom would be considered to be in the high risk category of getting the virus, are able to go to work everyday. We have had exactly 1 person test positive and he got it from his elderly grandparents very early on in March. I chuckle when I read some of these posts on here from the teachers and their fears about going back to work.
But sometimes they have to lesson plan and grade papers at home......oh the humanity. I concur, I respext the heck out of them and it should ave been the path I took. The three in my family, if need be, would go in an hour early and along with that and their planning, free period were free every evening by 4-430. Bro in law works construction a few days week in the summer, not because he has to, but because all the time off he wanta something to do.

I am not, but what I am saying is if you are going to say if someone is lesson planning until 10, how do you know they are unorganized.
Bringing work home as a teacher comes with the territory, I would say most know that is the case.
You took it a totally different way.

I do not complain teachers are over or under worked, but I grew up with with a parent as a teacher who coached, and they lesson planned after we went to bed and graded papers then as well, when it was quiet. They were not unorganized because of it, that was the point I was making.

I think most people work while on vacation in some capacity, I know I do
The three in my family are very candid about the hours, and realize they are very, very fortunate.

Heard CKnights in Allen County has Covid? Looks like he won’t be watching football this Fall in a RED COUNTY where nothing is happening at all. Hope he is okay in all honesty.
But they are going back 5 days a week he said! Coaches have told him so. No masks with all kids in school and fall sports being played. He talks to nurses and doctors! Blasphemy lol that dude needs to get out of his basement. ??‍♂️

Sounds about right considering that the school year is 180 days. Literally less than 1/2 the days in the year. I'm willing to bet the non teachers work a heck of a lot more than that.
Yeah, about 70 more.

Not my son though. He works fewer days a year than a teacher does. And yes he has a full time job.

Not about days, it is about hours. If a teacher is only working 7-330 there is no way they are doing their job. I work from 5:30am-3:00pm and when I'm done, I am done unless crap really hits the fan.

Teachers take a lot home, and yes so do other jobs. But I am also not on my feet all day, talking, walking and barely, if lucky, finding time to use the bathroom. Compared to other professional jobs there is no down time. Teachers are having to fill in during their plan bell due to lack of subs.

There is a reason many people are backseat teachers and not actually in the classroom running their mouths

Status
Not open for further replies.