Bob Goldring, OHSAA, Speaks to Media first time on Fall sports

roberto21

‘School’s decision whether they have sports or not:’ Interim executive director of OHSAA gives update on fall sports
SPORTS
Bob Goldring spoke with the media for the first time Tuesday since being named the interim executive director of OHSAA on July 6
by: Josh Frketic
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 / 03:07 PM EDT / Updated: Jul 14, 2020 / 03:07 PM EDT
ohsaa-logo.png.jpg

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Interim Executive Director of the OHSAA Bob Goldring said Tuesday that it will be up to the individual schools whether to play the regular seasons for fall sports.
Goldring said OHSAA controls the postseason tournaments, not the regular season.
He also said the organization will continue to take guidance from the governor’s office for recommendations on fall sports.
The governor’s office could also rule on postponing the season, canceling the season, or having just non-contact sports.

Goldring also said he and the Board of Directors have discussed several options for the fall, including pushing back tournaments and possibly moving them to the spring.
“Our main objective on July 14 is to move forward with fall sports as scheduled,” Goldring said
“Would we consider options?” Goldring said. “Naive to say no.”
Goldring also discussed a hypothetical situation in which just non-contact sports are allowed in the fall, potentially moving some non-contact spring sports to the fall.
When asked if the OHSAA needed football to be fiscally stable, Goldring said losing the season from a fiscal standpoint is something that has been discussed frequently since he has taken over.
He said that staff and potentially sports could be cut.
“It is a scary situation that we are facing,” Goldring said.
Source: WKBN-TV, Youngstown

A complete disaster of a conference, getting absolutely torn apart on Social Media, and should.

If they aren't or do not have the ability to make calls about the season, then they shouldn't even be commenting about anything other than playoffs. However, I believe the rules of our season is established via the OHSAA, so I'm not sure what to believe here. In mostly all other states, for public sports (private is separate in some), their governing sports body has been calling all shots. Really a bad look for OHSAA.

As a coach, and for ADs, I would just put my hands up in the air and say,"thanks for nothing".

As for them to say, "we just do the playoffs" that is correct, but not like there is another viable option. Should there be? Unbelievable.

A complete disaster of a conference, getting absolutely torn apart on Social Media, and should.

If they aren't or do not have the ability to make calls about the season, then they shouldn't even be commenting about anything other than playoffs. However, I believe the rules of our season is established via the OHSAA, so I'm not sure what to believe here. In mostly all other states, for public sports (private is separate in some), their governing sports body has been calling all shots. Really a bad look for OHSAA.

As a coach, and for ADs, I would just put my hands up in the air and say,"thanks for nothing".

As for them to say, "we just do the playoffs" that is correct, but not like there is another viable option. Should there be? Unbelievable.
OHSAA just wiped their hands clean of the mess and put it on the schools and districts.

I'm pretty sure the FINAL decision will be up to Governor DeWine and his team as to whether sports will be practiced/played beginning August 1st in Ohio---OHSAA can advise DeWine and express their thoughts, but ultimately it's up to DeWine. OHSAA is at the mercy of the 600+ schools who are members and who will follow, maybe sadly, what Gov. DeWine decides in the next 2 weeks. If colleges decide not to play sports this Fall don't look for high schools to play either.

Again for all the people just realizing this, the OHSAA makes no decisions on this stuff. They run tournaments, that's it. The only person you need to worry about is Mike DeWine. You can put this in stone too, the state of Ohio will not come out and say football is cancelled, they will put things in place that will make it impossible for schools to comply and it will force them to have to cancel. Zero chance anyone anywhere in this state wants to have their hands tied to canceling a high school football season.

I'm pretty sure the FINAL decision will be up to Governor DeWine and his team as to whether sports will be practiced/played beginning August 1st in Ohio---OHSAA can advise DeWine and express their thoughts, but ultimately it's up to DeWine. OHSAA is at the mercy of the 600+ schools who are members and who will follow, maybe sadly, what Gov. DeWine decides in the next 2 weeks. If colleges decide not to play sports this Fall don't look for high schools to play either.
All sports at Ohio State reported back to practice today. Colleges will play. High schools will play. And all indications from the OHSAA in the teleconference said they would be having a full season with full postseason....up to the districts to decide. Those left out....tough luck, I guess. But, at some point, people need to realize that SOMEONE has to make a decision. Why is is bad for local health departments along with the school districts to do so? Who should make the decision? Trump, Dewine, the OHSAA, or your school board?

We are playing ladies and gentlemen.

Again for all the people just realizing this, the OHSAA makes no decisions on this stuff. They run tournaments, that's it. The only person you need to worry about is Mike DeWine. You can put this in stone too, the state of Ohio will not come out and say football is cancelled, they will put things in place that will make it impossible for schools to comply and it will force them to have to cancel. Zero chance anyone anywhere in this state wants to have their hands tied to canceling a high school football season.
Goldring fumbled around saying there was a season without fully announcing it. He is 100% privy to what is going on in the governor's decision making process. They are seated at the decision making table. Dewine will announce moving forward with a season either on Thursday or early next week. I am assuming Thursday.

Requiring something like weekly testing for contact sports would be sufficient to cancel the season without mandating that the season be cancelled.

Conference? What are you talking about? Do you not understand that they have no authority to cancel the season like you want them to?

I seriously don't understand the regular gloom and doom posters. It's like they get pissed every time the news isn't totally dismal.

One last time, the OHSAA has zero authority to prevent high schools from playing fall sports. Even if they did (THEY DON'T), what sense would it make for them to make a proclamation right now? I swear, I will never understand some of the high school football "fans" on this site.

Local control... I like it (y) Not sure why people want the OHSAA delegating stuff they don’t need to.

Goldring fumbled around saying there was a season without fully announcing it. He is 100% privy to what is going on in the governor's decision making process. They are seated at the decision making table. Dewine will announce moving forward with a season either on Thursday or early next week. I am assuming Thursday.
They haven't been, I'm not sure why you think they are now.

right right good call

Actually, a fair question really has to be, Why does anyone care if the OHSAA is planning for a season starting. On August 1, if they have absolutely nothing to do with that happening. Over and over again these guys on here keep using quotes from the OHSAA, But that now Really means zero to if we’re playing or not. That is not doom and gloom, that’s an actual fact. Please show me any school that has confirmed they are for sure starting as planned, nobody has,lreally means zero to if we’re playing or not. That is not doom and gloom, that’s an actual fact. Please show me any school that has confirmed they are for sure starting as planned, nobody has.

By Goldring's words....any punishment handed down by the OHSAA during regular season should now be overturned as they had no authority to make the decisions. I look for schools and individuals to recoup their mental and physical losses in the civil courts

By Goldring's words....any punishment handed down by the OHSAA during regular season should now be overturned as they had no authority to make the decisions. I look for schools and individuals to recoup their mental and physical losses in the civil courts

No authority to cancel the regular season =/= no authority over anything in the regular season

Right? THE OHSAA SAID MY LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT GETS TO DECIDE IF THEY WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL, HOW DARE THEY!

what a strange mindset.
It would be nice if the state (be it DeWine/Husted or OHSAA) would decide for everyone since this is a matter rooted in public health concern OR... at the very least, explain what the benchmarks or thresholds concerning COVID-19 spread are pertaining to whether fall sports will be played to completion. It's fine if the state doesn't want to decide for all ~714 football playing schools whether they'll play in the fall (even though they just did it for spring sports) as that's not their interest, but what's not acceptable is the idea that it's up to all of these schools to decide for themselves how badly they want to play fast and loose with COVID-19 concerns if it means playing football when they aren't sure of the protocols meant to keep the students as well as their communities safe. That's the state's job: to pursue actions in the best interest of public health.

It would be nice if the state (be it DeWine/Husted or OHSAA) would decide for everyone since this is a matter rooted in public health concern OR... at the very least, explain what the benchmarks or thresholds concerning COVID-19 spread are pertaining to whether fall sports will be played to completion. It's fine if the state doesn't want to decide for all ~714 football playing schools whether they'll play in the fall (even though they just did it for spring sports) as that's not their interest, but what's not acceptable is the idea that it's up to all of these schools to decide for themselves how badly they want to play fast and loose with COVID-19 concerns if it means playing football when they aren't sure of the protocols meant to keep the students as well as their communities safe. That's the state's job: to pursue actions in the best interest of public health.

Right. The state's job. OHSAA is a private non-profit, not "the state." they aren't a government entity.

No authority to cancel the regular season =/= no authority over anything in the regular season
This is where you are wrong..in theory you don’t have to go by any rules set by the OHSAA, but if you want to play in their post season tournaments you do. So if a school doesn’t like what the OHSAA is doing, that’s fine, but don’t expect them to let you play in their tournaments.

Right. The state's job. OHSAA is a private non-profit, not "the state." they aren't a government entity.
Yes, I understand that. Another day goes by with OHSAA and the state yet to give any indication as to what's really going on, other than the tentative "a school choosing to play football or not is a 'You' problem - not a 'Me' problem." Here's a question for OHSAA: when are we going to know if the requirement to play 8 sanctioned opponents for playoff qualification purposes will be modified, dropped or upheld for this coming season? There are coaches in many parts of the state who have no clue if all ten opponents on their schedule will be playing football this fall, what with COVID-19 concerns but also the impact of blended/no in-person learning.

I saw that Bob Goldring noted there is no current plan or recommendation for limiting fan attendance, let alone any suggestion to schools on how to police and control it. "A nightmare."

Yes, I understand that. Another day goes by with OHSAA and the state yet to give any indication as to what's really going on, other than the tentative "a school choosing to play football or not is a 'You' problem - not a 'Me' problem." Here's a question for OHSAA: when are we going to know if the requirement to play 8 sanctioned opponents for playoff qualification purposes will be modified, dropped or upheld for this coming season? There are coaches in many parts of the state who have no clue if all ten opponents on their schedule will be playing football this fall, what with COVID-19 concerns but also the impact of blended/no in-person learning.

I saw that Bob Goldring noted there is no current plan or recommendation for limiting fan attendance, let alone any suggestion to schools on how to police and control it. "A nightmare."

That's a great question. I would think they'd have that out after the board of director's meeting July 16th. And the OHSAA can't make any rules regarding attendance, and yeah, their staff of 17 or so people definitely couldn't police any such policy.

That's a great question. I would think they'd have that out after the board of director's meeting July 16th. And the OHSAA can't make any rules regarding attendance, and yeah, their staff of 17 or so people definitely couldn't police any such policy.
They sure were quick to fire Jerry S before the Board of Director's meeting July 16th.

OHSAA can make recommendations, though. They're just lazying it up on that one.

Along that same line, it might be good to know whether or not the OHSAA has considered relaxing the regulation that a contract must be signed before October 1 in order for a game to count in the computer rankings.

Here's a question for OHSAA: when are we going to know if the requirement to play 8 sanctioned opponents for playoff qualification purposes will be modified, dropped or upheld for this coming season? There are coaches in many parts of the state who have no clue if all ten opponents on their schedule will be playing football this fall, what with COVID-19 concerns but also the impact of blended/no in-person learning.

Here's my question for you - why do you need to know now? More specifically, why is to so important for YOU to know NOW? The gloom and doomers are always saying this, that, or the other needs to be cancelled NOW! Why? What does it matter to you? What is so wrong with trying to do what we can now, based upon what we know now, and then doing what we have to do when the time comes?

Here's my question for you - why do you need to know now? More specifically, why is to so important for YOU to know NOW? The gloom and doomers are always saying this, that, or the other needs to be cancelled NOW! Why? What does it matter to you? What is so wrong with trying to do what we can now, based upon what we know now, and then doing what we have to do when the time comes?
You okay, brother?

Along that same line, it might be good to know whether or not the OHSAA has considered relaxing the regulation that a contract must be signed before October 1 in order for a game to count in the computer rankings.

I think you would have to be completely naive, stupid, or both, not to understand that rules and other things that happen this year are going to have to be decided on the fly. Guess what - I would rather have that than no football.

It's the people that don't want football that are always "but whatabout this" and "whatabout that"? I've got an idea for you, you want the season cancelled so bad - just pretend that it is already. You can ignore what the rest of us are doing from here on out ....

I think you would have to be completely naive, stupid, or both, not to understand that rules and other things that happen this year are going to have to be decided on the fly. Guess what - I would rather have that than no football.
Do you even hear yourself talk? "Yeah, OHSAA might need to change the rules for postseason qualification in week 7 - the fact it could possibly advantage certain teams over others or be seen as unprofessional/disorganized/unfair be damned."

It's the people that don't want football that are always "but whatabout this" and "whatabout that"? I've got an idea for you, you want the season cancelled so bad - just pretend that it is already. You can ignore what the rest of us are doing from here on out ....

And you have to be completely naive, stupid, or both to interpret my previous post as me not wanting there to be a season.