Centerville player gets Covid-19.

This is an oddly obtuse point. Clearly you're trying to get me to downplay the 1,600 deaths, which I won't do. There is, however, a vast difference between what we can do with strep and with COVID right now. Most people know this.
No it is not. The OP compared the protocol in little league when a player has strep versus what people are talking about when a kid tests positive for Covid. Your simple answer was to blow off strep because we have antibiotics. Unless you haven’t been paying attention, 1600 deaths in children (19 and under) due to strep is one hell of a lot more than have been killed by Covid in the entire world. So please tell me again why one protocol would be vastly different than the other?

No it is not. The OP compared the protocol in little league when a player has strep versus what people are talking about when a kid tests positive for Covid. Your simple answer was to blow off strep because we have antibiotics. Unless you haven’t been paying attention, 1600 deaths in children (19 and under) due to strep is one hell of a lot more than have been killed by Covid in the entire world. So please tell me again why one protocol would be vastly different than the other?

There have been more than 120,000 COVID deaths in the US alone since February. What is wrong with you people?

Nightly news said, in the case of Bellaire, students went to Myrtle Beach, got infected, came home and mingled with players. Bingo.

Also, we don’t have all the evidence yet. While average age for hospitalizations was 50 and up, now it’s averaging 37. Serious cases who recover still have serious lung damage, scarred and inflamed. But they are now noticing a symptomatic with no symptoms are showing some scarring in the lungs. What happens to them 5 years or less out. We don’t know yet because we don’t have the experience yet. The dangers are piling up with huge outbreaks in most of the southern states who opened early and have little or no protection guidelines/requirements in place.

Negatory we are trending in a direction where we are playing we are already in phase two thats a good sign we are playing, its just expanded testing

Nah man, the logistics of playing against a team who has had a positive test are a nightmare and ripe for coaches to hide positive tests/symptoms. All it's going to take is one team to have an outbreak and its over, and i think we all know realistically that's not a possibility it's an eventuality

Isn't the covid testing free?
Nothing is free, someone is buying the tests and paying to have them ran. My guess is that “someone” will not be game for testing a few thousand HS football, players every other week because people HAD to see high school football being played.

Nah man, the logistics of playing against a team who has had a positive test are a nightmare and ripe for coaches to hide positive tests/symptoms. All it's going to take is one team to have an outbreak and its over, and i think we all know realistically that's not a possibility it's an eventuality
The OHSAA cares more about the money and the schools i am willing to bet that by august 1st they will give the all clear

Football season will be determined by how the HS administrators handle the positive COVID cases. If the response is to shut down the entire team for 2 weeks, which is what Centerville did, we will not have a full season or one at all. It is almost a certainty that a varsity player will test positive on each team or on an opposing team during the season.

There have been more than 120,000 COVID deaths in the US alone since February. What is wrong with you people?
Nothing is wrong with me. I have never once said that this wasn’t serious or critical. Spent many nights awake in March and April worried about my elderly and at risk friends and relatives. Plus, worrying about my high school and college kid’s education turn to crap.

I think we know enough about this virus to do measured steps and help those most at risk. I don’t think we should be packing stadiums and just opening things up. The initial estimates that this was up to 5x more contagious than the flu simply were wrong. The actual numbers are close to .8 - 1.2, considered controllable by the CDC. And other than one off anecdotal examples, for a huge majority of healthy people, infection turns out to be nothing more than an inconvenience.

Nothing is wrong with me. I have never once said that this wasn’t serious or critical. Spent many nights awake in March and April worried about my elderly and at risk friends and relatives. Plus, worrying about my high school and college kid’s education turn to crap.

I think we know enough about this virus to do measured steps and help those most at risk. I don’t think we should be packing stadiums and just opening things up. The initial estimates that this was up to 5x more contagious than the flu simply were wrong. The actual numbers are close to .8 - 1.2, considered controllable by the CDC. And other than one off anecdotal examples, for a huge majority of healthy people, infection turns out to be nothing more than an inconvenience.
Its the Anti-Trump media hyping this up in order to get him removed from office

I got news for everyone, there are probably a bunch of schools in this state with kids that have this virus. They are most likely asymptomatic and therefore little to no threat to anyone, as the WHO has stated repeatedly. There is no need for the inevitable overreaction that undoubtedly will come, but we as a society are found of unfounded overreactions.
asymptomatic are not a threat to anyone? can you link me to that CDC or WHO report please? Not some bs news link, show me a document supporting this claim.

Football season will be determined by how the HS administrators handle the positive COVID cases. If the response is to shut down the entire team for 2 weeks, which is what Centerville did, we will not have a full season or one at all. It is almost a certainty that a varsity player will test positive on each team or on an opposing team during the season.
I think eventually HS administrators have to go the college route and not shut down because of one case

asymptomatic are not a threat to anyone? can you link me to that CDC or WHO report please? Not some bs news link, show me a document supporting this claim.
The technical director of the entire WHO response team stated it directly in front of a room full of reporters. Not a conspiracy theory or some backwoods news source.

Preseason response could be different than in-season response. Little more cautious now when it isn't as crucial and less so during season?

I agree. People are going to get it. We are just going to have to learn to deal with it like we do other illnesses.

I think at this point we can all see the writing on the wall, there is likely not going to be a football season.... Such a shame too because it's not like other countries haven't already had it and dealt with it. Gonna take the morons to live with minor inconveniences for a couple months for us to get through this and quite frankly that is just not going to happen. Looks like it's on to waiting for a vaccine
You nailed it. And that is why I gave it a 0% chance months ago. Sad for the kids.

The technical director of the entire WHO response team stated it directly in front of a room full of reporters. Not a conspiracy theory or some backwoods news source.
).
who to believe?

).
who to believe?
That is an absolutely true statement. The response and timely information from the organizations responsible for guidance at a time like this leaves a lot to be desired.

For this particular issue, I tend to think the WHO’s guidance would be more robust. My reasoning is simply they have contact tracing data from several countries (Japan, Korea, Germany to name a few) that are far ahead of the US as far as data analysis. And that is what the Director stated initially, that through this activity amongst several countries, the data shows the asymptomatic carrier is not a big factor in the spread. CDC data is a hodgepodge among the different states.

Preseason response could be different than in-season response. Little more cautious now when it isn't as crucial and less so during season?

I agree. People are going to get it. We are just going to have to learn to deal with it like we do other illnesses.
I hope you are right. School decisions are driven by fear of litigation. There are too many parents overly-worried about their kids exposure here.

I think eventually HS administrators have to go the college route and not shut down because of one case
That will be the only way it might happen. if you contact trace during the season, won't the entire team have contact (locker room, etc)? The only solution I see is to treat like the seasonal flu bug - if you are sick (not asymptomatic) stay home. If you are not sick or showing symptoms, play.

That will be the only way it might happen. if you contact trace during the season, won't the entire team have contact (locker room, etc)? The only solution I see is to treat like the seasonal flu bug - if you are sick (not asymptomatic) stay home. If you are not sick or showing symptoms, play.

Here's were the problems really start taking off. If you're a kid are you going to report a symptom that's automatically going to keep them out for about two weeks? Are coaches going to truly report things they haven't really trained to look for? Who are going to monitor every kids temperature? Sure...leave it to the coaches. Nothing could go wrong there.

The OHSAA cares more about the money and the schools i am willing to bet that by august 1st they will give the all clear

The OHSAA doesn't have that authority. The ODE's Reset and Restart guidelines should be released by this Friday and then each school district will decide if football is even feasible.

First there is growing evidence that this number may be greatly exaggerated. If we had used similar criteria in allotting flu deaths as we do covid19 deaths the flu outbreak of 2017/2018 may have matched the number who have died from covid19.

And for the sure the 1968/69 Hong Kong flu killed more then twice as many people when you correct for population and use the covid19 criteria for assigning deaths.

The covid deaths are strikingly targeted. The at risk demographic for covid19 is very different then many strains of the flu. In fact in any given year more young people, the ones we're talking about on this thread, will die from the flu then covid19.

Finally, there is strong historical evidence that the economic dislocation, sustained stress, social isolation and interruption in routine medical diagnostic practices will lead to a massive number of deaths over the next few years. Because this is the first time in American history that we have shut down our society in response to a pandemic you have to factor in the deaths & damage caused by the shut down when considering how best to respond to covid19.

Here's were the problems really start taking off. If you're a kid are you going to report a symptom that's automatically going to keep them out for about two weeks? Are coaches going to truly report things they haven't really trained to look for? Who are going to monitor every kids temperature? Sure...leave it to the coaches. Nothing could go wrong there.

Monitoring the kids temperature would be the best way to manage this. Check the temp at the start of every practice/game. Our community pool opened and one of the things they do is check our temperature every time we visit. It's quick & easy.

Monitoring the kids temperature would be the best way to manage this. Check the temp at the start of every practice/game. Our community pool opened and one of the things they do is check our temperature every time we visit. It's quick & easy.

Hear me out...If I'm the Head Coach I want nothing to do with taking temperatures or checking symptoms. If the school has a trainer available to do it then fine. My reasoning...my staff and I have not been trained to identify or monitor for COVID-19. We have taken the Concussion courses and other health classes but nothing on this. Do we do it like wrestling on game days. Each kid lines up and the ref takes temperatures of both teams prior to games?

Hear me out...If I'm the Head Coach I want nothing to do with taking temperatures or checking symptoms. If the school has a trainer available to do it then fine. My reasoning...my staff and I have not been trained to identify or monitor for COVID-19. We have taken the Concussion courses and other health classes but nothing on this. Do we do it like wrestling on game days. Each kid lines up and the ref takes temperatures of both teams prior to games?
No. They need to be scanned in line as they enter the facility for either the home game or travel to the road game.

If they're already there an hour or two before getting temp checked it's too late. But yes, someone should be aware, trained and able to do this outside the coaching staff.

Given that it's now nearly July...and the country itself is rapidly accelerating into further chaos (and will continue to do so leading to the election) That being irrespective of the massive economic damage ongoing and likewise accelerating...
I'd say it's eminently apparent that idiotic school district leadership across the board will prevail ( as if it wouldn't otherwise ). For HS sports fans & players that = no play.
Right now, I'd lay odds at 90% or worse the football season is history...Soccer mom schools like Centerville have even poorer odds...