Commonly mislocated schools

Washington High School is the name of the school. Massillon is the city. WHS is the only public high school in the MCSD and is located in the city of Massillon. Massillon Christian is a private high school in the city of Massillon.
The eastern portions of the city of Massillon are located in the Perry Local School District and the far western portions of the city are in the Tuslaw Local School District. In addition, the city consists of other areas that are in the Fairless Local School District and the Jackson Local District.

In addition, the non-MCSD areas of the City of Massillon represents 37% of the entire land area within the city.

Last edited:
Manchester High School is commonly refered as being in a city called Manchester instead of New Franklin.
And it is listed as Akron Manchester by OHSAA. OHSAA uses post office mailing as reference. Lots in Portage County. Mogadore Field, Atwater Waterloo, Ravenna Southeast, Garrettsville Garfield, Mantua Crestwood.

In addition, the non-MCSD areas of the City of Massillon represents 37% of the entire land area within the city.
But, to set the record straight, that's because of the city's aggressive annexation push which doubled the land area of Massillon between 1980 and 2010. They were annexing property which belonged to other school districts and annexation doesn't change a property's school district.

But, to set the record straight, that's because of the city's aggressive annexation push which doubled the land area of Massillon between 1980 and 2010. They were annexing property which belonged to other school districts and annexation doesn't change a property's school district.

Thanks for the info! LOL!

Bringing the thread back to life. Using the following questions, where is your actual school building located?

1)Is your school building actually located inside a cities' limits? If yes, what city?
2)If no, is your school building actually inside a village's limits? If yes, what village?
3)If no, what township I your school building in?

For Defiance County.

Defiance
1 Yes. Defiance. School serves the city of Defiance, all of Defiance Township, and a tiny portion of Auglaize Township in Paulding County.

Tinora (Northeastern Local)
1 No.
2 No.
3 Adams Township, serving all of rural Tiffin, Noble, and Adams Townships, the northern half of Richland Township, plus part of northern Defiance.

Ayersville
1 No.
2 No, at least not an incorporated village.
3 Highland, serving South Richland and Highland Townships along with part of eastern Defiance.

Fairview (Central Local)
1 No.
2 No.
3 Washington, serving Washington, Delaware, Farmer, and Mark Townships, including the villages of Sherwood and Ney, along with parts of Milford Township and Center and Pulaski Townships in Williams County.

Hicksville
1 No.
2 Yes, Hicksville. Serves Hicksville, Hicksville Township, and part of Milford Township.

Didn't Lima have two other high schools and another catholic hs within the city. That had to be an incredible population loss to close those schools. Shawnee School campues are actually on Zurmehly Road which is close by to Breese on Limas southwest side. You can include the Lima parochial schools Temple Christian and Central Catholic within Limas city limits.

From Delphos, not Lima, but I think I can answer this. Lima had two public schools: Central and South. Three Catholic schools: St. Rose, St. John and St. Gerard. The public schools combined to form Lima Senior in the 1950's and the Catholic schools combined to form Lima Central Catholic, also in the 1950's. Other schools with Lima in their name: Lima Perry, Lima Shawnee, Lima Bath and Lima Temple Christian.

interesting tidbit to add: currently Greenon goes by Springfield Greenon, but with the new school being finished in 2021, it will become Enon Greenon. the new school is being built about 4 miles down the road, but inside the village of Enon limits.

Over in Wood County I always see Bloomdale Elmwood in the sports page but the school is closer to Jerry City or Cygnet than anything. Findlay Liberty Benton is another. Yes the district comes right up to the Findlay City line and the high school is like a mile or so from the line as well. But the school was always located not far from Findlay in the twps. of Eagle and Liberty along with the village of Benton Ridge.

Wow. I knew it was called Liberty Benton because of Liberty and Benton-Ridge, but i didnt realize their mascot was named after a township also!

From Delphos, not Lima, but I think I can answer this. Lima had two public schools: Central and South. Three Catholic schools: St. Rose, St. John and St. Gerard. The public schools combined to form Lima Senior in the 1950's and the Catholic schools combined to form Lima Central Catholic, also in the 1950's. Other schools with Lima in their name: Lima Perry, Lima Shawnee, Lima Bath and Lima Temple Christian.
The OHSAA has created much of this confusion. For instance, Shawnee's true name is Shawnee High School and it's part of Shawnee Local School District. However, OHSAA has decided to add an additional name (Lima) to the school's name. The Ohio Department of Education DOES NOT add a city name for their use. This is true for many if not most schools.

So what? The bottom line , whether you like it or not, is there are multiple school districts in the city of Massillon.

The OHSAA has created much of this confusion. For instance, Shawnee's true name is Shawnee High School and it's part of Shawnee Local School District. However, OHSAA has decided to add an additional name (Lima) to the school's name. The Ohio Department of Education DOES NOT add a city name for their use. This is true for many if not most schools.

And if they didn't there would be no way to know if it's the Allen or Clark County school.

And if they didn't there would be no way to know if it's the Allen or Clark County school.
I understand, but it makes people think that a school is somewhere that it is not. The Ohio Department of Education is able to get by without doing it.

1)Is your school building actually located inside a cities' limits? If yes, what city?
2)If no, is your school building actually inside a village's limits? If yes, what village?

Springfield Shawnee
1. No
2. No
3. HS is located in Springfield Township.

Lower Sandusky changed it name to Fremont in 1849.

THAT leads me to another interesting (to me) topic.

Towns with the same name as a county, but aren't in that county.

Sandusky is in Erie
Ottawa is in Putnam
Shelby is in Richland
There's a village named Portage in Wood County. There's also a Wayne in Wood County.
Lucas is also in Richland
Hamilton is in Butler
Huron is in Erie
Fayette is in Fulton

THAT leads me to another interesting (to me) topic.

Towns with the same name as a county, but aren't in that county.

Sandusky is in Erie
Ottawa is in Putnam
Shelby is in Richland
There's a village named Portage in Wood County. There's also a Wayne in Wood County.
Lucas is also in Richland
Hamilton is in Butler
Huron is in Erie
Fayette is in Fulton

Franklin is in Warren County.
Warren is in Trumbull County.
The Clinton I'm most familiar with is in Summit County, and Port Clinton is in Ottawa County. Is there a Clinton in Clinton County?
Ashtabula is in Ashtabula County, but it is not the county seat.

Last edited:
Bringing the thread back to life. Using the following questions, where is your actual school building located?

Canton Central Catholic
1. No.
2. No.
3. Perry Township (The Stark County version as there are many Perry Twps. in Ohio). The school is located about 1 mile west of Whipple Ave. If heading east from the school, cross Whipple Ave, and you've entered the City of Canton.

I believe that they actually played each other a few years ago.
I thought they scheduled a Manchester HS from PA, it fell through, and they picked up Sharpsville, PA instead which ended up being worth a lot of points.

The other Manchester HS in Ohio is a DVII program that played 4 club teams last year.

I understand, but it makes people think that a school is somewhere that it is not. The Ohio Department of Education is able to get by without doing it.

How does calling the school Lima Shawnee make people think it’s somewhere it’s not? It’s damn near in Lima, which sure helps to differentiate it from the one in Clark County.