OHSAA extending 2021 playoffs to 12 teams per region

Again, to whom? You think the players in 2021 who make the playoffs are going to feel any less proud of making it?
Nope.

Dilutes quality? Possibly and probably. BUT, i guarantee you will see some 9-12 seeds winning games. There is no doubt that will happen. So there may be some week 11 games that get out of hand (as they do now) but week 12 it may mean there are some better games because when some 9-12 teams win in week 11 that means they are a better team, and should make for a better week 12 matchup....

So when that 9 and 10 seed beat the 7 and 8 that could lead to a better week 12 game....
I hope you like blow outs, because there will be a lot more, where there were already a lot.

I'd think it would do the opposite. Teams could afford to take a loss while testing themselves if the top 12 make it instead of the top 8
I dunno, you don't want to be seeded low. So regardless of what the 9-12 seeds are doing, you likely want to compete with the top 4 seeds. So winning, and getting lots of points will be very important, particularly because of the bye.

I'd think it would do the opposite. Teams could afford to take a loss while testing themselves if the top 12 make it instead of the top 8

I think you think too highly of them. You don't suddenly change mentality. Their (or most of them) strategy is already to schedule softly in order to qualify, and qualify healthy. And they get plenty of takers. This makes that strategy even less risky, so of course it will continue. JMO but guess we'll see.

Last edited:
I dunno, you don't want to be seeded low. So regardless of what the 9-12 seeds are doing, you likely want to compete with the top 4 seeds. So winning, and getting lots of points will be very important, particularly because of the bye.
The teams avoiding power teams would be doing so more for fear of missing the playoffs period imo. Most of them aren't getting high seeds playing a bunch of cupcakes. At least in D1.

I think you think to highly of them. You don't suddenly change mentality. Their (or most of them) strategy is already to schedule softly in order to qualify, and qualify healthy. And they get plenty of takers. This makes that strategy even less risky, so of course it will continue. JMO but guess we'll see.
But if they have that mentality they are doing it under 8 or 12 systems. Doesn't matter which

I'd argue they'd be more inclined to take a test if they have more spots to fall back on.

Didnt click on it, but it may be. It was on The Fan - Lima show on a Friday when I was driving where they play a lot of the coaches interviews from the week about week 11 playoff games.
Yeah, this is from the Fan in Lima, and has roughly 10 coaches in it.

The teams avoiding power teams would be doing so more for fear of missing the playoffs period imo. Most of them aren't getting high seeds playing a bunch of cupcakes. At least in D1.
D1 is a little different animal, given that there are fewer teams there. I think none of them change their strategy at all. Only the truly bad teams are not getting in now. Getting a bye in week 11 is huge, teams will want that advantage, and they will compete to get it.

D1 is a little different animal, given that there are fewer teams there. I think none of them change their strategy at all. Only the truly bad teams are not getting in now. Getting a bye in week 11 is huge, teams will want that advantage, and they will compete to get it.
Not true. There's been years where a team like st Ignatius didn't get in and they weren't truly bad. Could probably take half the field or more

This is always my favorite dumb argument. The kids ain't giving themselves the trophies. It's old fogies making the rules.
No it’s the parents of those kids. It starts young, remember growing up when there was a champion of the league in t-ball of flag football etc ? Now there isn’t a champion but everyone wins and gets a trophy and gets to go get ice cream.

When all is said and done, there will be one champion in each division. If a team is making the field with a mediocre record chances are their experience won't last very long. Same goes for teams with 10-0 records who play cupcakes. There is nothing wrong with more football. The cream usually rises and if a #5 seed should happen to lose at home to a #12 seed then how much does the seeding matter anyway?

I don’t hate it. Really don’t have a strong opinion either way. Moving the season up a week will also benefit schools regular season attendance revenue by having more warm weather games.

This is all about the “every kid gets a participation ribbon” generation.

No it isn't. It's about money and nothing else.

The arguments above about this current generation are old. This generation didn't choose any of this, nor do they want everyone to get a ribbon. They want to compete, but we as adults, keep watering down the competition.

This has NOTHING to do with the current generation and everything to do with the adults in charge. The current generation of adults that have been in charge for the past 25 or so years have screwed this country up more than all other generations combined.

No it isn't. It's about money and nothing else.

The arguments above about this current generation are old. This generation didn't choose any of this, nor do they want everyone to get a ribbon. They want to compete, but we as adults, keep watering down the competition.

This has NOTHING to do with the current generation and everything to do with the adults in charge. The current generation of adults that have been in charge for the past 25 or so years have screwed this country up more than all other generations combined.

(y)

No it’s the parents of those kids. It starts young, remember growing up when there was a champion of the league in t-ball of flag football etc ? Now there isn’t a champion but everyone wins and gets a trophy and gets to go get ice cream.
No. We didnt and dont have Tball. No 'champion' of any league is crowned until little league. The leagues below little league play just for fun.

Flag football? No, we dont have flag football and dont have any organized football until 7th grade.

Last edited:
A lot of 7-9 win teams already made it so like I said everyone needs a participation ribbon.
and a lot of 7-9 win teams dont make it. Quite a few teams are hamstrung by their league and area where they come from.
Teams can only do so much with their schedule.

This does not diminish the finished product whatsoever.

The current generation of adults that have been in charge for the past 25 or so years have screwed this country up more than all other generations combined.

Worse than, oh, I don’t know, the generation that fought to keep slavery or the one that got us into Vietnam?

No. We didnt and dont have Tball. No 'champion' of any league is crowned until little league. The leagues below little league play just for fun.

Flag football? No, we dont have flag football and dont have any organized football until 7th grade.
Really because I know for a fact we had a t-ball league champion and they kept score and we had a w-l record.
We had flag and midget football and both had league championships and kept a w-l record. That was in the 70’s and 80’s so it’s not like I’m some 65 year old get off my lawn guy.
So I don’t know where you grew up but that was how it was done in Massillon and I know the surrounding areas had it also.

and a lot of 7-9 win teams dont make it. Quite a few teams are hamstrung by their league and area where they come from.
Teams can only do so much with their schedule.

This does not diminish the finished product whatsoever.
Then they need to schedule better outside of that league and step out from that “area”.
It will be great to hear the 4-7 or 3-8 teams argue “well hey we still made the playoffs”. ???

Worse than, oh, I don’t know, the generation that fought to keep slavery or the one that got us into Vietnam?
Yes, because those who fought to keep slavery lost and we continue the current generation in charge keeps making the same mistakes as were made in Vietnam.

What has leadership done in the past 25 years that has left the USA better for the future?

Hope the 12 seed doesn’t get in trouble for High Fives after their first TD. Those are Illegal in Baseball now so I’m sure Football will be the same. Expand Playoffs but no fun will be permitted, how exciting! Dictator DeWine Sucks!!!

It could make for some real interesting week 12 story lines.
A team like last year's Lake or Hoover sneaking into the playoffs and upsetting a 5-6 seed week 11 then walking into PBTS on a high the next Friday to a crowd of 10-11k people and a 1-2 seed Massillon team could make for some great local playoff football.