When will Teams be able to Workout? (opinions)

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
I haven't seen very many straight forward answers for this. When do you think teams will be able to workout again, with coaches, on school property? Interested to hear more takes on this.

It's a fascinating question because it seems like schools are open to working out coming June, however, I have a hard time imagining schools being comfortable with allowing Fall Sports training without announcing what the plan is for this coming Fall.

For example, great, you are having non-mandatory workouts for sports, but will they even have a season? It's nothing like we have ever seen before. You have states like Iowa going full swing on June 1st with "moderate sports" like baseball and softball, with heavy stipulations, but it's Iowa, things aren't great there, and they don't care. We WERE strict, but in the past few weeks lobbyists have indicated the need for money and all of a sudden, we have opened back up.

As dramatic as this sounds, this summer could very well be one of the most, if not the most chaotic summers of everyone who is currently living's life. It's hard to imagine locking back down again, but what's indicating we won't have to do it? It's tough.

Better question
Dewine says its a go at schools.
Ohsaa dictates the opening of school fields/facilities.
Schools Ad department determines when it is safe.
Who runs the show because no one is on the same page!

It's a fascinating question because it seems like schools are open to working out coming June, however, I have a hard time imagining schools being comfortable with allowing Fall Sports training without announcing what the plan is for this coming Fall.

For example, great, you are having non-mandatory workouts for sports, but will they even have a season? It's nothing like we have ever seen before. You have states like Iowa going full swing on June 1st with "moderate sports" like baseball and softball, with heavy stipulations, but it's Iowa, things aren't great there, and they don't care. We WERE strict, but in the past few weeks lobbyists have indicated the need for money and all of a sudden, we have opened back up.

As dramatic as this sounds, this summer could very well be one of the most, if not the most chaotic summers of everyone who is currently living's life. It's hard to imagine locking back down again, but what's indicating we won't have to do it? It's tough.
it seems like such a simple question but it’s really so complicated! i agree, will be chaotic. for the record- i think we see team workouts around the start of July

Better question

OHSAA has nothing to do with school fields/facilities.

If DeWine allows the schools to open facilities, then it's up to each school to decide on their facilities.

Better question

I agree with this completely and as stated earlier, it is probably the worst our country has looked. It is absolute dysfunction with people looking for answers and leadership and it's not there. I am not blaming the president or anything to that degree, I am not interested in the politics of this, but everyone is just hoping someone else steps up, and no one is. It is a complete mess. I would argue right now, ADs and Coaches are really being left in a very, very bad situation.

Lt Gov Husted said it was up to the local health departments to open the outdoor school facilities.

This is completely accurate. I have heard County Health Boards are making a lot of these choices with the OHSAA.

I have to be honest here, the OHSAA isn't doing anything, nor should, not like when these people took the job they planned on making guidelines for a pandemic, so who do we listen to? I feel bad for Snodgrass, guy seems nice but completely out of his paygrade for these decisions.

The schools are shut down by the board of health...Not DeWine or OHSAA, High Schools, or Athletic Directors.

I thought everyone new this?

Which means that it will be up to Acton as to when things open for the schools. I would assume local health departments aren’t going to against her orders.

Yep, and I hear Ginther might have some say in it also. I wish that a reporter would ask her about this topic when they have the question and answer discussion.

It is, people just want to blame OHSAA and DeWine and whoever they can.

Most do get it. The anger is at DeWine because of the way he handed the power to the health departments and the his Lt. Gov. confuses the situation with out consulting many that had a stake in it. Way easier to just cuss Mikey than go through the actual list that takes you back to Mikey eventually.

Hopefully we are able to follow NCAA and contact is allowed June 1 and is incrementally brought up from there.

I haven't seen very many straight forward answers for this. When do you think teams will be able to workout again, with coaches, on school property? Interested to hear more takes on this.
As a corollary to this question, what would be the "drop dead" date to get the kids back into the weight rooms and onto the field that would allow them to start the season on time? I heard Urban Meyer talking several weeks ago about this and it was his opinion that his team would need to be back at it no later than July 15th to start the season on time. Now, he was talking about Power 5 collegiate football, but since training and safety issues are basically the same, I can't imagine the time frame for even high schools would be much different. Does this sound like a reasonable time frame? Would it be somewhat later for high schools?

I'm surprised that no one on here has emailed or contacted DeWine and his crew to address this topic. Geeezzzz, those tattoo parlors did and they addressed that quick.

As a corollary to this question, what would be the "drop dead" date to get the kids back into the weight rooms and onto the field that would allow them to start the season on time? I heard Urban Meyer talking several weeks ago about this and it was his opinion that his team would need to be back at it no later than July 15th to start the season on time. Now, he was talking about Power 5 collegiate football, but since training and safety issues are basically the same, I can't imagine the time frame for even high schools would be much different. Does this sound like a reasonable time frame? Would it be somewhat later for high schools?
it’s absolutely reasonable. 6 weeks is just fine in my opinion. somewhere in the start to mid july window would be ideal.

I think your take (many of you) on the start mid-July for safety measures seems about right. I think a rush to get things going in June would be a lot of local schools to be prepared for.

Personally, OHSAA needs a plan on how they can protect coaches and districts from liability issues. In addition, if a family member tests positive for Covid at any point, what exactly is going to happen to that team? Then of course the hardest question, are we going with meaningless temperature checks to protect our butts? It's a hard call.

I think your take (many of you) on the start mid-July for safety measures seems about right. I think a rush to get things going in June would be a lot of local schools to be prepared for.

Personally, OHSAA needs a plan on how they can protect coaches and districts from liability issues. In addition, if a family member tests positive for Covid at any point, what exactly is going to happen to that team? Then of course the hardest question, are we going with meaningless temperature checks to protect our butts? It's a hard call.
What liability issues?

The schools are shut down by the board of health...Not DeWine or OHSAA, High Schools, or Athletic Directors.

I thought everyone new this?
The legal authority rests with the Ohio Department of Health, but it is DeWine making the final decisions not Dr. Acton.

So just read a good article in regards to Snodgrass being "Optomistic about Fall Sports" including, "we will be using the NFHS Guidelines"

So, DeWine and Husted are saying we are using those hilariously vague Coronavirus Ohio rules posted, nationally and Snodgrass says we are using NFHS Guidelines.

Point being, no one knows what the hell is going on, no one is in charge, I can't tell if we are starting next week, or if this all just a bunch of hot air to make everyone feel better. That being said, can we please have someone step up in our state to take control of this? What a disaster, they have to be embarrassed by all of this.

So just read a good article in regards to Snodgrass being "Optomistic about Fall Sports" including, "we will be using the NFHS Guidelines"

So, DeWine and Husted are saying we are using those hilariously vague Coronavirus Ohio rules posted, nationally and Snodgrass says we are using NFHS Guidelines.

Point being, no one knows what the hell is going on, no one is in charge, I can't tell if we are starting next week, or if this all just a bunch of hot air to make everyone feel better. That being said, can we please have someone step up in our state to take control of this? What a disaster, they have to be embarrassed by all of this.
according to this they will be following the governors guidance

Attachments

• Screenshot (212).png
    Screenshot (212).png
    628.6 KB · Views: 20
Why is it that your local Planet Fitness can open up but a school weight room cannot? I would seem easier to me for coaches to manage the traffic in their weight room than it would be for a public gym. Seems silly to me that one can be open but the other cannot. Just goes to show that even the leaders we are counting on to make these decisions, really have no idea what they are doing.

Aurora and Mogadore will be starting summer workouts on June 8th, from what I saw from each team's Twitter page.

Mogadore's gonna have linemen in on Mondays/Thursdays and skill players on Tuesdays/Fridays.