OHSAA Cancels Spring Sports

thePITman

As expected, but still a bummer.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association canceled its sanctioned spring sports seasons Monday night including postseason tournaments due to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine's decision to close schools for the remainder of the school year due to the coronavirus outbreak.

OHSAA executive director Jerry Snodgrass made the announcement in an emailed memo to member schools. The OHSAA does not plan to make a public statement or media release until Tuesday at the earliest.

The OHSAA sanctioned spring sports include baseball, softball, track and field, lacrosse and boys tennis.

As expected, but still a bummer.

Snodgrass is overstepping his bounds worrying about clubs or rec programs. The kids are not the risk. The vulnerable are. This is what I was talking about with regards to the goals changing. Open the facilities or close them. That is the extent of his authority. After that don't worry what the clubs or rec programs do. They may have private fields or gyms or outdoor facilities. When things start to open up, they are not going to be able to control things. Some of his orders are borderline unconstitutional as it is.

Snodgrass is overstepping his bounds worrying about clubs or rec programs.

Agreed. I don't like the sounds of this:

"While our job representing the member schools is to organize and conduct school sponsored events, I realize also that many non-school club/travel/community programs utilize school facilities," Snodgrass wrote. "Many also use other facilities. I am concerned with non-school programs putting our students at risk and filling the void left by the cancellation of spring sports as well as current shutdowns that prohibit out-of-season training/open gyms by school coaches. The State Superintendent of Schools (Paolo DeMaria), through a meeting with the governor, requested a meeting on Thursday to discuss concerns over this. I hope to be able to update you sometime soon after this meeting."

I believe that school was cancelled for the rest of the year because we are almost at the end anyway. If this had happened three months earlier, there is a good chance that school would have resumed. I really hope they don't try to pressure the schools to shutdown their facilities throughout the Summer based on the data that is available only in April. This should be a month-by-month or even a week-by-week decision. Wait and see what the experts are saying in June before pushing back against non-school teams.

It really sounds like he is saying, "if we say no baseball or softball, then that is final for everyone...even the travel teams."

Agreed. I don't like the sounds of this:

"While our job representing the member schools is to organize and conduct school sponsored events, I realize also that many non-school club/travel/community programs utilize school facilities," Snodgrass wrote. "Many also use other facilities. I am concerned with non-school programs putting our students at risk and filling the void left by the cancellation of spring sports as well as current shutdowns that prohibit out-of-season training/open gyms by school coaches. The State Superintendent of Schools (Paolo DeMaria), through a meeting with the governor, requested a meeting on Thursday to discuss concerns over this. I hope to be able to update you sometime soon after this meeting."

I believe that school was cancelled for the rest of the year because we are almost at the end anyway. If this had happened three months earlier, there is a good chance that school would have resumed. I really hope they don't try to pressure the schools to shutdown their facilities throughout the Summer based on the data that is available only in April. This should be a month-by-month or even a week-by-week decision. Wait and see what the experts are saying in June before pushing back against non-school teams.

It really sounds like he is saying, "if we say no baseball or softball, then that is final for everyone...even the travel teams."
shut the facilities or don't. practice for my kids team may start in mid may and I will, for my own health, encourage him to find a catcher now that the school season is cancelled.

Last edited:
Schools are telling their teachers to plan for all facilities to be off limit until Aug 1 and to retrieve all personal items. If they're closed to staff and students...they'll be off limit to others as well

Schools are telling their teachers to plan for all facilities to be off limit until Aug 1 and to retrieve all personal items. If they're closed to staff and students...they'll be off limit to others as well
My high school coach/friend hinted at that too. He is hoping the football coaches can exert some influence on this. The private fields will be busy.

They coaching staffs will be told they may not meet/instruct athletes in person or encourage group meetings. Failing to do so will be an immediate reason for termination. Will be an interesting summer

They coaching staffs will be told they may not meet/instruct athletes in person or encourage group meetings. Failing to do so will be an immediate reason for termination. Will be an interesting summer

What's the purpose of that? It would be nice to be able to reward our seniors in some fashion for the hard work they have put in the last 3 years and so far this year hoping to have a season. I'm not talking right now, but in June/July???

The OHSAA tweeted this morning to confirm to the public what they sent to schools yesterday.

EWIgBmsX0AU8tr7

What's the purpose of that? It would be nice to be able to reward our seniors in some fashion for the hard work they have put in the last 3 years and so far this year hoping to have a season. I'm not talking right now, but in June/July???

Part of the reasoning is to be uniform across the state. You can't have School A practicing/lifting to get an advantage while School B doesn't allow any contact. That takes it out of the schools hands and parents can't say well Johnny and his team in (fill in the blank) can practice...why can't we?

Snodgrass is overstepping his bounds worrying about clubs or rec programs. The kids are not the risk. The vulnerable are. This is what I was talking about with regards to the goals changing. Open the facilities or close them. That is the extent of his authority. After that don't worry what the clubs or rec programs do. They may have private fields or gyms or outdoor facilities. When things start to open up, they are not going to be able to control things. Some of his orders are borderline unconstitutional as it is.

You do realize neither Jerry or the OHSAA have any authority whatsoever to decide if facilities at Ohio's schools are open or closed right? His statement was just that....a statement. He can make suggestions based on his thoughts....but he isn't closing facilities. That's not his call

"You do realize neither Jerry or the OHSAA have any authority whatsoever to decide if facilities at Ohio's schools are open or closed right? His statement was just that....a statement. He can make suggestions based on his thoughts....but he isn't closing facilities. That's not his call."

It is his call if School coaches can work with teams or not....and it is the Governors call if school buildings are open or closed.

If the Governor and the Commish say NO, any coach who does should be fired.

Travel teams and players that have the means are working out and gearing up to play... TN, SC, GA and eventually FLA, all big destinations for Ohio softball and baseball teams will be open for business May 1st!

i know.they also own their own facilities and could,if they wanted collectively do what ever they wanted. ohsaa.

There's below a zero chance of this happening. They're not going to forfeit their OHSAA membership and I truly believe if a school, private or public, anyone who decides to disobey will be punished to the fullest extent possible. AD would be forever black balled as would coaches involved. I guess some may consider it worth the risk. I would not. Not to mention the liability

Last edited:
Selfishness is what is going to get us through this whole thing even slower. People need to look at the big picture.

If anyone thinks DeWine is going to totally relax the "mass gathering" order in the next 90 days, then they haven't been paying attention to him or the Doctor. DeWine was asked about kids being able to play with each other and he again said "take your kids to the state parks because they (save for one) are still open."

They speak in code. The same code was spoken yesterday as it was in mid-March.

Last edited:
Not really...They are a OHSAA member program. Doing so could/would cost them in fines and tournament play.
And if something happens like it did in Indiana after the basketball game where 4 attendees died of of the virus (along with others contracting it) you can say goodbye to that private school with all the lawsuits they'll face.

Also, the governor is no way going to open up places where people congregate in the near future. Even Trump's doctor is against it through the summer. If they defied the order again you can say goodbye to all future affiliation with high school sports.

the division 1 catholic schools in cleveland,columbus,and cincinnati;carry ohsaa.if they had a heart and a set of balls they would host their own baseball tournament this year only.due to the extreme circumstances.could even make it a senior only tournment.let ohsaa be the bad guy they already are anyway and try to stop it.and lets say they kick out the big catholic cleveland,columbus,and cincinnati schools;how is that helping the ohsaa product?

the division 1 catholic schools in cleveland,columbus,and cincinnati;carry ohsaa.if they had a heart and a set of balls they would host their own baseball tournament this year only.due to the extreme circumstances.could even make it a senior only tournment.let ohsaa be the bad guy they already are anyway and try to stop it.and lets say they kick out the big catholic cleveland,columbus,and cincinnati schools;how is that helping the ohsaa product?

Aside from the issues with the OHSAA.... (if they do kick out the schools, how is that going to help the schools?)

Where they going to play these games?
Who is going to officiate these games? (no official worth their salt is going to put their butt on the line financially for this)
Where is the money going to come from to put the games on?
Senior only?
Are you willing to underwrite the event? Insure it? Provide security? Indemnify the land/facility owners?

and finally, that pesky Archdiocese issue with most of the schools....

Your "if they had a heart and set of balls they would host their own baseball tournament"...Doubt the archdiocese really wants that type of attention while they're still paying millions over the Priest Abuse cases

There's below a zero chance of this happening. They're not going to forfeit their OHSAA membership and I truly believe if a school, private or public, anyone who decides to disobey will be punished to the fullest extent possible. AD would be forever black balled as would coaches involved. I guess some may consider it worth the risk. I would not. Not to mention the liability
Again, no liability. you play or participate at your own risk. After May 1st, you are not going to be able to tell the difference form where got infected.