OHSAA Cancels Spring Sports

BASESWIMPARENT

Your "if they had a heart and set of balls they would host their own baseball tournament"...Doubt the archdiocese really wants that type of attention while they're still paying millions over the Priest Abuse cases
No relationship to these two situations at all. Bad form on you.

BASESWIMPARENT

And if something happens like it did in Indiana after the basketball game where 4 attendees died of of the virus (along with others contracting it) you can say goodbye to that private school with all the lawsuits they'll face.

Also, the governor is no way going to open up places where people congregate in the near future. Even Trump's doctor is against it through the summer. If they defied the order again you can say goodbye to all future affiliation with high school sports.
Should start their own anyway. it is after all what most publics want... Right?

brianwr112

Again, no liability. you play or participate at your own risk. After May 1st, you are not going to be able to tell the difference form where got infected.
Again, huge liability. Assuming they reach out for legal advice...they'll be advised not to host such events. Doubtful any insurance company would insure them.

BASESWIMPARENT

Again, huge liability. Assuming they reach out for legal advice...they'll be advised not to host such events. Doubtful any insurance company would insure them.
No liability at all. Infection will not be able to be proven. people participate and attend at their own risk.

brianwr112

You ever go to a Major League Baseball game? Every single ticket says you're attending at your own risk. Balls, bats and other things could end up in the stands. Even with the warning on every ticket....teams are settling for millions with those struck.

SMARTY22

No liability at all. Infection will not be able to be proven. people participate and attend at their own risk.
I’m not smart enough to know how a certain business insurance works. I have heard that some private ball fields insurance companies are telling them to be very cautious about opening back up or not to open back up this yr at all. No idea how any more f that stuff works. What I do know is not many Private Parks in Cincinnati (if any) will survive if they have to remain closed for an entire season.

Saw yesterday that USSSA released a Tenative Revised Schedule of events for Men’s and Women’s Slow Pitch Softball. Not sure if this has anything to do with Youth Baseball or Fast Pitch though.

HSFB Fan

Honestly its sad for the seniors but this high school season is done. I could see if the Ohio group of 10 ban is lifted in June maybe expanding the senior all star games to include all seniors for their final farewell but that is a long shot. Now the players can get with their travel team to work towards May tournaments down south. Tennessee and SC canceled April events but are planning to get back to playing in May for baseball and softball.

thavoice

What happens now if someone breaks a leg or gets injured? Do the schools get busted down or is it on the tournament?

HSFB Fan

Carriers like bollinger above have been insuring athletes, teams, coaches and schools for years. Policies can differ but this provider has been recognized by almost all sanctioning bodies (EXCEPT) bodies like PGF that require teams,players coaches to purchase their specific insurance..

brianwr112

What happens now if someone breaks a leg or gets injured? Do the schools get busted down or is it on the tournament?
If you want the honest answer...most families go about their business and pay the medical bills from their own pocket. A small portion sue though and most of these cases are ultimately settled if there's any doubt at all that an organization may be liable. This is why you'll see youth organizations take photos right after an incident occurs if it involves any equipment. There would be a HUGE doubt right now. Legal and insurers are all saying no.

BASESWIMPARENT

If you want the honest answer...most families go about their business and pay the medical bills from their own pocket. A small portion sue though and most of these cases are ultimately settled if there's any doubt at all that an organization may be liable. This is why you'll see youth organizations take photos right after an incident occurs if it involves any equipment. There would be a HUGE doubt right now. Legal and insurers are all saying no.
unproveable after may 1st

thavoice

They boy's youth coach said last night they are hopeful and expecting to be playing no later than the tournament on 15 May in Columbus some scrimmages/games a week prior to that.......

AllSports12

There are inherent risks associated with activities. Broken bones that occur during athletic contests is one of those risks. Engaging in activities that are outside the scope of specific orders placed on a population during a pandemic are not inherent.

Anyone hosting such an event in violation of the restrictions is out of their minds purely from a financial standpoint.

AllSports12

They boy's youth coach said last night they are hopeful and expecting to be playing no later than the tournament on 15 May in Columbus some scrimmages/games a week prior to that.......
I'd be surprised if the governor allows activities such as these to occur.

AllSports12

I wonder when they will start notifying teams then...
Berliner website just states they are all cancelled through 1 May, that is just a week out.........
It's April 24 and they don't even know what the criteria will be for "phase 1" of the reopening of the state. People heard "we are going to start to re-open on May 1 and will look at expanding that every couple of weeks" and are making lots of assumptions.

Somehow, people have taken that in a literal sense, hence the May 15 date..... Acton and DeWine both said that children won't be able to play with each other "for months".....

While it might happen, the odds are stacked heavily against it. I hope I'm dead wrong on this.

Philly_Cat

It's April 24 and they don't even know what the criteria will be for "phase 1" of the reopening of the state. People heard "we are going to start to re-open on May 1 and will look at expanding that every couple of weeks" and are making lots of assumptions.

Somehow, people have taken that in a literal sense, hence the May 15 date..... Acton and DeWine both said that children won't be able to play with each other "for months".....

While it might happen, the odds are stacked heavily against it. I hope I'm dead wrong on this.
This!

I had a schedule complete for my youth team from March to July. We were able to get one outdoor practice in before the lock down began. Since then, due to the ever changing nature of this beast, you really can't say for certain what's going to be happening more than a week or so out. Because of that I stopped trying to cancel and reschedule games. Because there's no way of knowing when we will be playing again, why reschedule? I don't even worry about tournaments anymore. I don't worry about whether a future tournament is going to happen or not. If it hasn't already passed and is more than 2 weeks away I assume it's still on, expect it will be canceled, and hope for the best. Outside of that I've been in cruise control and stopped worrying about all of it. The future is way too foggy to be getting all crazy over things that may or may not happen. Just chill, take care of you and yours, and roll with the punches.

thavoice

just got word the 15-17 May tournament at Berliner has been cancelled.

I have a question for everyone in Ohio. As of Friday afternoon, there are around 15,000 people who have tested positive for Covid-19 in Ohio. About 4,000 of those are in prison. That leaves 11,000 people in a state of 11,000,000 who are sick. Yes, I know more people would test positive if they were tested. Don't tell me there are more sick people. People who are sick are getting tested. Over 100,000 have been tested in Ohio. 11,000 is .1% of 11,000,000. That's right, .1%, one-tenth of one percent. That means 99.9% of Ohio residents are not sick from Covid-19. Is it worth shutting down the whole state when 99.9% of its residents are fine? Is it worth destroying every small business in the state when 99.9% of its residents are fine?

thePITman

^^ It's pretty clear that this person has not seen, in-person, how overflowing and overworked and overburdened some of our hospitals are. My sister-in-law had to get tested for COVID-19 and spend 2 days in a hospital. The stories she had to tell were frightening. And that was several weeks ago before this was even close to what it is now. From the beginning, part of the reason for the restrictions were to "slow (or lower) the curve" not just to limit the number of people who contract the virus, but to limit the overwhelming surge to our hospitals like they were having in Italy where they literally had to choose which people died so they could give a ventilator to somebody else.

Philly_Cat

I have a question for everyone in Ohio. As of Friday afternoon, there are around 15,000 people who have tested positive for Covid-19 in Ohio. About 4,000 of those are in prison. That leaves 11,000 people in a state of 11,000,000 who are sick. Yes, I know more people would test positive if they were tested. Don't tell me there are more sick people. People who are sick are getting tested. Over 100,000 have been tested in Ohio. 11,000 is .1% of 11,000,000. That's right, .1%, one-tenth of one percent. That means 99.9% of Ohio residents are not sick from Covid-19. Is it worth shutting down the whole state when 99.9% of its residents are fine? Is it worth destroying every small business in the state when 99.9% of its residents are fine?
I've been just fine with how our state has handled things. Wish it was being handled way better on a national level so I could say the same about every state, but thankfully, I feel Ohio has done a great job.

BASESWIMPARENT

^^ It's pretty clear that this person has not seen, in-person, how overflowing and overworked and overburdened some of our hospitals are. My sister-in-law had to get tested for COVID-19 and spend 2 days in a hospital. The stories she had to tell were frightening. And that was several weeks ago before this was even close to what it is now. From the beginning, part of the reason for the restrictions were to "slow (or lower) the curve" not just to limit the number of people who contract the virus, but to limit the overwhelming surge to our hospitals like they were having in Italy where they literally had to choose which people died so they could give a ventilator to somebody else.
This is not true. Most of our hospitals are closed or a large portion of the hospital facilities are closed. If 800 hospitalized over the course of the last 2 months in the whole state is overwhelming our system then I am very concerned. Most medical professionals including nurses are out of work right now. We are not Italy in any way shape or form (Italy is way, way, way, older than the United Sates) also, they live in much more denser areas and they greet each other differently. Finally, Chinese tourists and business were all over Italy. We have none of those issues. We have been on lock down for almost 8 weeks and the numbers of confirmed daily cases are larger than ever. I am ready to call the lockdown a failure. I will say one thing, if I had loved one in one of these retirement homes and I could take care of them, I would get them out of there tomorrow. On a couple of other issues, I have some friends that have not paid their lease (they are stores) payment for March and April and the rainy day fund will run out of money at our current burn rate sometime in late may early June.

thePITman

Those 800 hospitalized do not include all those, like my sister-in-law, who had been tested and had to be quarantined at a hospital until results came back. And also, it IS true - it was straight out of Dr. Acton's mouth in some of the very early press conferences; much of the benefit of the measures was to keep the hospitals from being overrun. We are succeeding (thankfully), and thus all our hospitals are NOT overrun. They were precautionary measures, not reactions. Remember that.

BASESWIMPARENT

Look the numbers are a lot smaller than expected with and without the mitigation. Dr. Acton said 100K were infected with a 4% mortality rate. That is 4K dead with mitigation. Screw it, I will come out and say it, the shut down that continued after first three weeks has done more harm than good. The model that was used to make these decisions was flawed. The revised model was flawed and the revised model afterwards is flawed. Worse, we did not have the accurate data to confirm or adjust the models. The death count is current being overstated vis a vis the Covid virus . Just look at the deaths currently not attributed to the Covid virus. Very small versus previous years. I will grant you that earlier deaths in December and January may have been Covid related so maybe it will all come out it in the wash but the bottom line is that without context none of these data points are valid. And yet, we have over 1,000,000 unemployed drawing at most $370.00 a week. Now the Governor is talking about vector analysis and we are going to continue restrictions without accurate meaningful data. The car manufacturers are telling their employees to get ready for work by May14. The Churches will demand to have their services back by mid May. If these large group activities happen, regardless of the data points, the populace is going to have large scale social activities. If we think we can wait for a vaccine, we are sadly, sadly mistaken.