Wuhan Coronavirus epidemic spreads from China to US

Great opportunity for the hand rail lickers to get out and protest for the cause.
Drink WI 3-25-2020 4-47-47 PM.jpg

Trump initially dropped the ball, started to listen to experts and quickly got with the program.

He is clearly now back to following his "gut" with the stupid mention of opening things back up. The guy cannot get out of his own way.

Trump initially dropped the ball, started to listen to experts and quickly got with the program.

He is clearly now back to following his "gut" with the stupid mention of opening things back up. The guy cannot get out of his own way.

Didn't you previously say that if the "lockdown" went beyond 2 weeks you would have a problem with it?

Really nice day today. First in a while really. If it's any indication of things to come people aren't going to sit in their homes for long. Lots of people out. Talking with neighbors. Taking walks. I went to driving range. It was crowded.

Didn't you previously say that if the "lockdown" went beyond 2 weeks you would have a problem with it?
Rough date. At some point yes, we have to get on with everything but I think it would be foolish to put all of these measures in place only to take them away prematurely. If that becomes reality there was little point for these measures in the first place (and they are working).

Seems like Imperial College of London isn't the only Brit university putting out demographic models on c-virus progression. Oxford has a much more optimistic take:

The Oxford research suggests the pandemic is in a later stage than previously thought and estimates the virus has already infected at least millions of people worldwide. In the United Kingdom, which the study focuses on, half the population would have already been infected. If accurate, that would mean transmission began around mid-January and the vast majority of cases presented mild or no symptoms.

The head of the study, professor Sunetra Gupta, an Oxford theoretical epidemiologist, said she still supports the U.K.'s decision to shut down the country to suppress the virus even if her research winds up being proven correct. But she also doesn't appear to be a big fan of the work done by the Imperial College team. "I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model," she said.

If her work is accurate, that would likely mean a large swath of the population has built up resistance to the virus. Theoretically, then, social restrictions could ease sooner than anticipated.

If this model is correct and like the alarmist models all modeling of the pandemic at this stage is suspect then Trump is right to think we could get back to work in the next couple of weeks.

I hope Dr. Acton is aware of this model.

Really nice day today. First in a while really. If it's any indication of things to come people aren't going to sit in their homes for long. Lots of people out. Talking with neighbors. Taking walks. I went to driving range. It was crowded.
And it was the most deadly day yet. Over 200 died.

The sad side of me is thinking those idiots blairing their "music" in the park will be first to go, solving a couple problems.

Really odd virus.

I hear all kinds of mild case stories and then I read where a cop from Detroit who was 38 died yesterday. How a healthy 34 year old from Italy died recently. I understand these are outliers but it is odd how some get hammered.

The virus really has not taken hold here so there is an assumption that everything will be ok. There is no doubt it is hard on older folks (much like regular flu). I just hope we have enough needed supplies for when it strikes everyone's parents/grandparents.

Seems like Imperial College of London isn't the only Brit university putting out demographic models on c-virus progression. Oxford has a much more optimistic take:

The Oxford research suggests the pandemic is in a later stage than previously thought and estimates the virus has already infected at least millions of people worldwide. In the United Kingdom, which the study focuses on, half the population would have already been infected. If accurate, that would mean transmission began around mid-January and the vast majority of cases presented mild or no symptoms.

The head of the study, professor Sunetra Gupta, an Oxford theoretical epidemiologist, said she still supports the U.K.'s decision to shut down the country to suppress the virus even if her research winds up being proven correct. But she also doesn't appear to be a big fan of the work done by the Imperial College team. "I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model," she said.

If her work is accurate, that would likely mean a large swath of the population has built up resistance to the virus. Theoretically, then, social restrictions could ease sooner than anticipated.

If this model is correct and like the alarmist models all modeling of the pandemic at this stage is suspect then Trump is right to think we could get back to work in the next couple of weeks.

I hope Dr. Acton is aware of this model.
And if she is correct, this virus really was not that deadly. I'm going to bet her model is off, but I still think we should get back to work.

The SARS Co-V outbreak from 2003 most certainly originated from a live animal market in China. For 17 years since SARS, scientists have been warning that a pandemic from these live animal markets in China was inevitable. The world, including WHO, did nothing about it and here we are. This pandemic was completely preventable.

China knew about this new virus as early as November of 2019 and no later than the first week in December of 2019. They tried to cover it and allowed millions to travel in and out of China spreading it all over the world. China also refused to allow world experts in to help assess and contain the virus, which likely would have made a significant difference. China is not our friend.
China is no ones friend. If they were an ice cream flavor they'd be pralines and dick.