I find it increasingly difficult to believe there will be a spring sports season AT ALL this year.

claynation

Things have escalated very, very rapidly. DeWine was on a number of shows this morning floating the possibility that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the academic year, in which case there is no chance the OHSAA will allow spring sports to happen.

I feel awful for everyone involved, seniors especially. But there's really no other choice for the foreseeable future.

sadly, i think you’re right. as a fan and grandparent i’m devastated. grandson has been working hard since the day after football season for this and we have spent plenty of money on indoor meets and indoor practices

Things have escalated very, very rapidly. DeWine was on a number of shows this morning floating the possibility that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the academic year, in which case there is no chance the OHSAA will allow spring sports to happen.

I feel awful for everyone involved, seniors especially. But there's really no other choice for the foreseeable future.

Yes, there is a choice. However, all the lawyers like Dewine and the rest of creeps like him are just salivating at the chance of suing others, or are scared of being sued.

This is NOT the plague.

I agree but we all need to come to grips with sacrificing for the more important things in life javman83. There is alot of question marks with this new virus. AIDS was in the forefront of people's mind for over 20 years because there was no cure and AIDS could be easily prevented. This is different and doctors have no idea if this is going to mutate or be a recurring thing every flu season.

Also, as a coach, Im mad that its robbing athletes of competing but am happy that we are being proactive with this matter. Im predicitng in the next couple of weeks ALL states will be doing the same thing. We need to start thinking about containing this and stop comparing it to other pandemics (and blaming the higher ups). Run for office or take Snodgrass's job if you want to make these decisions.

sadly, i think you’re right. as a fan and grandparent i’m devastated. grandson has been working hard since the day after football season for this and we have spent plenty of money on indoor meets and indoor practices

Would you give up your life to see him compete? And the entry fees? I would rather see him have kids and be with him in the future years to come. There is more important things in life than sports. I want my mom and dad to be there during the holidays and feel your grandson feels the same way.

This is a virus...incurable...only treatable. It will recurr, just like the common cold virus.

Also, as a historian, I note without equivocation that during real pandemic Spanish flu of 1918, the State Meet also took place!

Also, as a historian, I note without equivocation that during real pandemic Spanish flu of 1918, the State Meet also took place!
And it killed over 670500 americans and over 50 million worldwide because they didnt have a plan like we do today and allowed events to take place. That mentality did not work for preventing deaths.

Last edited:
And it killed over 67500 americans and over 50 million worldwide because they didnt have a plan like we do today and allowed events to take place. That mentality did not work for preventing deaths.

Yes, but my point is that life does go on.

Also can we please stop politicizing on here. Its against yappi rules. Politics should be on another forum.

Personally I hope they postpone the season to begin in late May and have state in early August (or even earlier to not punish the seniors who already left for college.

Also can we please stop politicizing on here. Its against yappi rules. Politics should be on another forum.

Personally I hope they postpone the season to begin in late May and have state in early August (or even earlier to not punish the seniors who already left for college.
That ain't going to happen. Every senior in the state is about to get screwed. Even during WWII with thousands of 18 year old men going off to war, athletics still went on at the HS level.

This is NOT the plague, people.

History will not be kind to Dewine and co.

Nearly everything about COVID-19 stinks. Americans, who too often believe everything should be available to them at every instant, are going to have a really tough time with this. The idea of sacrificing for the greater good has been wiped clean from too many minds.

We've further developed a mindset that each person's beliefs are equally valid, regardless of whether they are based on facts and reason or not. It makes it nearly impossible to have a rational discussion on anything meaningful.

I am uncomfortable living with a "survival-of-the-fittest" approach to the problem. There is a psychopathic logic involved in saying thinning the herd helps everyone remaining in the long run.

I am completely horrified at the decisions doctors in Italy are reportedly being forced to make every day about who lives and who dies - people who should not be dying but are because of a lack of respirators. Who knows how many are dying in their homes because they're over 60 and know they won't receive treatment at hospitals. Their families get to watch them essentially suffocate and die at home. There is little reason to expect we will not see the same things happen here unless massive changes are made in how we live and interact.

There is little doubt that economic hardships related to this situation are going to result in people losing their jobs, which can result in uncertainly about basic necessities like having proper shelter and food. Hopefully government can step in and mitigate the issues related to this.

Every year there are many high school seniors who get sick or injured and end up unable to compete. Their lives move on quite comfortably. Losing things we've worked so hard to achieve is painful and disappointing. Ask any senior who finishes 5th at Regionals. However, those pains and disappointments aren't even on the same scale as the issues COVID-19 is creating.

Maintaining perspective will be healthy for ourselves and especially for the athletes into whom we've invested our lives. Telling them they've been screwed isn't helping.

Nearly everything about COVID-19 stinks. Americans, who too often believe everything should be available to them at every instant, are going to have a really tough time with this. The idea of sacrificing for the greater good has been wiped clean from too many minds.

We've further developed a mindset that each person's beliefs are equally valid, regardless of whether they are based on facts and reason or not. It makes it nearly impossible to have a rational discussion on anything meaningful.

I am uncomfortable living with a "survival-of-the-fittest" approach to the problem. There is a psychopathic logic involved in saying thinning the herd helps everyone remaining in the long run.

The very American system is set-up so that your individual rights supersede any "greater good" argument that the government can make. This exists for a reason that people soon forget because they are not taught that anymore. You can do it all you want on your own with your own money and goods.

Nature doesn't care about feelings. Nature is brutal and relentless. There is nothing psychopathic about acknowledging nature.

Last edited:
Would you give up your life to see him compete? And the entry fees? I would rather see him have kids and be with him in the future years to come. There is more important things in life than sports. I want my mom and dad to be there during the holidays and feel your grandson feels the same way.
i just wish they would postpone the season before cancelling it. let them run into June for all i care. or just have a shortened season. but don’t completely cancel it

I am completely horrified at the decisions doctors in Italy are reportedly being forced to make every day about who lives and who dies - people who should not be dying but are because of a lack of respirators. Who knows how many are dying in their homes because they're over 60 and know they won't receive treatment at hospitals. Their families get to watch them essentially suffocate and die at home. There is little reason to expect we will not see the same things happen here unless massive changes are made in how we live and interact.

There is little doubt that economic hardships related to this situation are going to result in people losing their jobs, which can result in uncertainly about basic necessities like having proper shelter and food. Hopefully government can step in and mitigate the issues related to this.

Every year there are many high school seniors who get sick or injured and end up unable to compete. Their lives move on quite comfortably. Losing things we've worked so hard to achieve is painful and disappointing. Ask any senior who finishes 5th at Regionals. However, those pains and disappointments aren't even on the same scale as the issues COVID-19 is creating.

Maintaining perspective will be healthy for ourselves and especially for the athletes into whom we've invested our lives. Telling them they've been screwed isn't helping.
Well said. Thank you for posting.

It is interesting to see cognitive dissonace at work. We call this generation the snowflakes, yet we still whine and complain when situations arise that would help them develop the traits we villify them for lacking. The "Greatest" generation are given that honorifc largely due to the sacrifices they made to create current stable system we all enjoy. Is it because some of us are unwilling to make our own sacrifices as coaches, parents and spectators?

References to 1918, when most of the world was suffering from hunger, poverty, discrimation, segregation I find laughable. C'mon in the decade before 2 Million people left Italy (and for good reason) and ended up in NYC where they treated terribly by the folks already there. So just because in a decade where antibiotics and vaccines were still not widely understood, hospitals were still learning about PPE and clean protocols (imagine limited sterilization of instruments between procedures.) they held a state track meet we should follow suit?

Are there any other things from that deade we should re-instate? Hmm? I understand that under pressure there is a tendency for people to make emotional decisions. However emotion will not help in this situation. How about enabling the young 'uns to understand and accept what has and is happening. Allow them to grieve for the loss and move forward. We want them to mature right? So stop acting like sports is the only avenue where that can occur. Help them derive some benefit from this situation, i.e. character building, the understanding of their role/place in the world, etc. How about instead of whining about what was lost, think about what can be gained. They have time that would have been spent doing athletics. They have time to improve skills that would been neglected.

All is not lost, just 'cause the classroom has changed doesn't mean we stop teaching.

And it killed over 670500 americans and over 50 million worldwide because they didnt have a plan like we do today and allowed events to take place. That mentality did not work for preventing deaths.

The Spanish Flu happened after 4 years of WWI which include gas attacks and half the world was starving. Everybody's immune system was compromised. And we were living on top of one another. I personally do not think we needed to take all of these economic steps but we have so we need to react to them and the reaction may be worse than the steps themselves. And unfortunately I am afraid we will do it again and soon because the precedent has been set. We have shut the economy down by cutting off its cash flow The damage to our economy will cause almost irreversible damage because the people and the business's cannot make this money back. People. we are talking 8 to ten weeks here of economic shut down. There is not enough paper in the world to print enough money to cover this. Pay attention to what the FED is doing with no discernable effect. If there is a bank run which may happen in a few weeks we are in deep trouble . And as far as having time my friend, we are talking seniors. They have no more time. Some are going to work in a few weeks if they can find jobs and some are joining the service. Some baseball careers are over and that is really, really sad.

Last edited:
On Thursday at Noon the Ohsaa is having a press conference which should be the final word. On another note in Baltimore the National Guard has been activated to keep the citizens indoors. That is what we have to look forward to in the coming weeks. On the bright side it seems like the warmer weather may help curtail the spread of the virus. But it may to late to save this season.

Unless you are one of the dead. Even if not one of the dead, I doubt many people on the T&F forum look forward to possible permanent lung damage.
To give everyone a perspective on mortality, here's a link to mortality rates in the world:

Roughly speaking, per year, anywhere from roughly 0.75%-1.0% of the population can be expected to die, regardless of whatever is going on in the world (like Coronavirus). Given the worst case scenarios I've seen bandied about in the news, maybe upwards of 2-3.5% of people infected with Coronavirus will die. Terrible - Yes. However, if you factor out roughly the 1% of them that would die anyway, then that leaves you with 1-2.5% of them dying SOLELY due to the virus. Of course, elderly & immune-compromised people (my oldest sister is one such person...completely immuno-suppressed) are the most vulnerable and should self-isolate as much as is possible during not only these times, but in general. Of course, with isolation, depression likely rises as human beings are created for social discourse. This is aside from the very real needs of all of us to be able to financially withstand SEVERE financial impacts that are now only starting to take place throughout not only the US, but the world. Once this ball gets rolling downhill, it is EXTREMELY difficult to reverse. Mankind CAN NOT simply shutdown economies for months on end. That kind of mentality will result in far more people dead than the Coronavirus will ever kill. Many low income people live paycheck-to-paycheck, and many of those jobs are cash under-the-table, not reported to the government, and are wholly reliant upon people with steady incomes being generous enough to hire them for work. Once you start turning off segments of society from being able to do their jobs, then those at the bottom wrung of society will be the worse off, and they CAN'T file for any unemployment. I could go on and on about the financial devastation currently taking place to the world, but all I would get is push back about how each life is precious and how cruel I am in my outlook on matters. I assure you, I am not indifferent. My parents are elderly as well, the oldest of my sisters has a very serious auto-immuno deficiency, and I myself am in my mid 50s. No spring chicken. However, I nevertheless recognize that there are always balances in life that have to be maintained for the greater good. Coronavirus is just that - a virus. It is already well established throughout not only the US, but the world. It will continue to make its way, regardless of all our best efforts. Over time, viruses weaken as a whole as it encounters individuals and their immune systems develop antibodies to the virus. That is what needs to happen with Coronavirus. The "herd" will develop antibodies if exposed. Some will be lost, unfortunately, but that is the case with all viruses each year. Coronavirus is NOT the bubonic plague or any of the other extremely acute infections that overwhelm the bodies of perfectly healthy people and thus require extreme quarantine measures of entire populations. It is virulent, but not acute in that you die within days (excepting for the aforementioned compromised people). Most people, including myself, will acquire this virus in the upcoming year. My body, and yours, will develop antibodies. This is aside from the vaccinations that are likely to come about in the coming year. The first trials already started yesterday. With God's grace and compassion, almost all will survive just fine. The "herd" will survive just fine. Some, unfortunately, will be lost. That may include me as well?

Anyway, I've spoken my piece. Some of you won't care or think I'm still callous, and that's fine. Take whatever precautions you deem appropriate for you and your families. I wish you all the best, but for the foreseeable future, likely till 2021, I'm outta here. Track and field is more than likely kaput for the rest of the year, not just at the HS / NCAA level, but most likely internationally as well, particularly the Olympics. Gone.

До свидания

I am not sure comparing Olympics to high school sports in Ohio is the same. You are bringing people from all over the world into one arena.

I am not sure comparing Olympics to high school sports in Ohio is the same. You are bringing people from all over the world into one arena.

Not only that, but another issue was going to be the Trials and whether or not they could be conducted both safely and fairly. A buddy of mine who has competed internationally was quick to point that out after Ohio's wave of restrictions began to roll out. You're bringing people together from all over the country for the various sports' Trials.

I heard that teams would have one week of practice and then would begin the the season not a lot of practice time if you ask me.

Not a lot of season. I think we could be ready to go in less time than a week. We work with strong resilient kids. Performances will be down, but it's all relevant. 5'-8" might be the new 6'-2". This might be a dream come true for a lot of distance coaches that think training is more important than racing and only want to race 2 or 3 times a season. The part of the season where the sprinters don't like the cold is all gone and it's the start of where their normal season starts anyway. I think the kids will be just fine if it's possible to have a season for them.

Last edited:
I heard that teams would have one week of practice and then would begin the the season not a lot of practice time if you ask me.
It's the same setup as what would've happened if we were going back to school on Mon. 5 days of practice before the 1st day that competition would be allowed to occur. The only difference in the new timeline would be that there isn't more of a regular season left at the end for additional practice time.

I'll take it if the alternative is no season of any kind.

The athletes who truly enjoy the sport are probably finding ways to do something to stay in shape during this time. Otherwise, we should just hand the DII boys state title to Coventry and call it a day.