Cincinnati D-1 Sectional

Refs were awfully generous to the Lancers tonight but the Bombers can look in the mirror and place some blame there too. They had infinite chances to put it away.
Refs were terrible both ways but the last shot to go to OT was late. I feel for those seniors at X. I’d be livid. I’ll take the W nonetheless.

Refs were terrible both ways but the last shot to go to OT was late. I feel for those seniors at X. I’d be livid. I’ll take the W nonetheless.
Veryclose in live action. Certainly wrong, but not an egregious or blatant missed call. Fractions of a second are very hard to judge for any official without the luxury of replay.

Attachments

• 20200308_220354.jpg
    20200308_220354.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 60
I did not make the game but did hear from friends that the final shot in regulation by LaSalle was after the red light was on and should not have counted. However I agree with the others, that if X had made more free throws during the game instead of missing several of them the last second three pointer by LaSalle would not have mattered.

Thank you for posting that photo, Gclfan. Yes, a bad call by the refs on the last shot but X needs to make free throws.

The video with the buzzer makes it look way closer than that photo does. Would’ve been hard for a ref to make that call either way. But yeah. A tad late.

No dog in this fight, but since this isn't the first "did he get it off" controversy recently (Upper Sandusky-Mansfield), I'll give my take, fwiw.

The Video above shows it wasn't an easy call, though that is a horrible camera angle to show it one way or the other.

That picture that was posted, definitely proves it was a blown call. Unlike the Upper Sandusky-Mansfield game where there was a lag between when the buzzer sounded and clock reached 0.0, this one was definitive. The backboard lights are clearly on and the clock clearly says 0.0. There is a ref that is looking right at the play (though to be fair he may have been blocked a bit by his angle). But it's clear that the ball is still at head level of the kid shooting when the buzzer would have rang. He wasn't even near his release, which even though it's still bang-bang, you would hope the refs at this level of the tournament would have their ears/eyes synched, especially when they knew a last-second shot was coming.

And actually, watching the video again. The one ref who was racing toward the baseline isn't "to blame." There was another ref behind the play that should have been able to hear the buzzer and see the shot... and looks like that one is who made the good call. ... don't get me wrong, it was blown, but it wasn't anything egregious.

Last edited:
The ref was tracking him down the court But with the player spinning it did block his view of the release a bit. The Immediate reaction of all the players and coaches on both teams seem to be that it counted. Also, how many games do these high school refs work that actually have the light on the backboards?

The ref was tracking him down the court But with the player spinning it did block his view of the release a bit. The Immediate reaction of all the players and coaches on both teams seem to be that it counted. Also, how many games do these high school refs work that actually have the light on the backboards?

Good points. I'm not trying to kill these refs, just Monday morning quarterbacking, I guess. It shouldn't have counted, but (like the Upper Sandusky-Mansfield play), overall, I don't see any huge controversy. Sucks for St. X, but like others have said, made some free throws and it's moot.

The story behind "the shot" as reported by Shelby Dermer in the Enquirer

La Salle sophomore Devin Taylor and senior Michael Wergers compete in half-court shot competitions every day after practice.

Taylor never believed those "goofy" sessions would come in handy until Sunday night.

The play is called "UC," and is modeled after a play Bob Huggins' squad ran to beat No. 1 Duke in the Great Alaska Shootout in 1998.

La Salle broke out the play when it trailed St. Xavier, 44-41, with 2.1 seconds left and no timeouts. Needing to go the full length of the court, Ayden Schneider in-bounded the ball to Kevin Crigler, who passed ahead to Taylor, who turned and banked in a 30-footer as time expired to send the game into overtime.

"I just thought that, this is exactly like those practices with Mike (Wergers), so why don't you just be calm and shoot it like you always do when you're playing around with your friends? It's just another shot, but it's a big shot," Taylor said.

La Salle head coach Pat Goedde added: "We do work on that play almost every other day. Devin (Taylor) is just one of those types of dudes. He's so athletic and it was a great shot.

"It's better to be lucky than good sometimes."

Last edited:
Remember all the grumbling on here for years about the low scoring GCL (Moeller in particular) and how it wasn’t “real” basketball?
People grumble about deliberate basketball and 33-32 scores. I love them. How many at the Moeller vs Boro game are wishing for a deliberate low scoring affair right now vs the running clock with absolutely no drama?

We need a shot clock alright, it should be a clock that requires a superior team to run a minimum of 1 minute off the clock before they can take a shot. I dont like total beatdowns but man is this Moeller program on an impressive streak of games (again).

Based on everything that transpired yesterday I think it’s definitely clear to everyone now it’s Moeller and everyone else in this area. None of the other three winners really did anything to stand out.

in the early game Wednesday after having already beaten Centerville once this year Moeller should be favored again by 20-25 easy. If Moeller plays the way they have been even Centerville might be in danger of a running clock.

In the late game I’d think it would be a pick em between East and Lasalle with the edge maybe a little in East’s favor. It will definitely be the closest game of the night.

As for the regional final Moeller handles either of those teams by 20+ to get to their 4th straight final four.

Based on everything that transpired yesterday I think it’s definitely clear to everyone now it’s Moeller and everyone else in this area. None of the other three winners really did anything to stand out.

in the early game Wednesday after having already beaten Centerville once this year Moeller should be favored again by 20-25 easy. If Moeller plays the way they have been even Centerville might be in danger of a running clock.

In the late game I’d think it would be a pick em between East and Lasalle with the edge maybe a little in East’s favor. It will definitely be the closest game of the night.

As for the regional final Moeller handles either of those teams by 20+ to get to their 4th straight final four.
Lol it took them beating a bad Springboro team for you to see they are way better them everyone else?

Lol it took them beating a bad Springboro team for you to see they are way better them everyone else?

no I’m just basing the newest assumption off of yesterday. Everyone already knew they are the best but yesterday made it pretty clear just how much better they are compared to the best left. I sat next to some centerville and west fans yesterday and both sets agreed their teams stood no chance if they were to meet Moeller next. The Centerville fans didn’t even show a little optimism literally saying as they left “Well at least we got a district trophy!” Crazier things have happened but I can’t imagine any of these 3 teams keeping it close.

The one thing that surprised me in the LE vs. Creek game was the inability of the LE big man to get off a clean shot in the paint. He was rejected at least three times by the Creek defensive post player and really othe than the last second shot with 1.6 seconds remaining, he didn't even draw a foul. He is very good at blocking out and rebounding but his offensive skills in and around the rim are less than impressive. Still, he is mostly responsible for the win and that can nor be minimized. I would expect the Lasalle coaches in attendance took note of this as well as the Moe coaches. GBM

I’ll admit I didn’t believe they had the team to go all the way until the last month or so. They were sloppy and easily forced to turn the ball over at the beginning of the season, I wasn’t optimistic for them having a deep run. But they have figured it out and I give credit to the coaching staff and also their gauntlet of a GCL schedule for pushing this team to find a way.

I’ll admit I didn’t believe they had the team to go all the way until the last month or so. They were sloppy and easily forced to turn the ball over at the beginning of the season, I wasn’t optimistic for them having a deep run. But they have figured it out and I give credit to the coaching staff and also their gauntlet of a GCL schedule for pushing this team to find a way.

When you have 5 D1 players on your team, you always have a team that can go all the way... let's not make it sound like Moeller has no talent and they are putting a surprising run together. They have, by far, the most talent in SW Ohio. I don't know if they can beat St. Ed's or win state, but they were always the heavy favorite to get to Columbus again.

Good seasons for East, LaSalle, and Centerville! Unless the Coronavirus hits Moeller HS they will be representing SW Ohio, then winning State again.
I look for it to be East vs Moeller in Regional Finals, East will compete but not quite have enough offense.

When you have 5 D1 players on your team, you always have a team that can go all the way... let's not make it sound like Moeller has no talent and they are putting a surprising run together. They have, by far, the most talent in SW Ohio. I don't know if they can beat St. Ed's or win state, but they were always the heavy favorite to get to Columbus again.
Do not count out the Columbus team.

I don't know where any of the Moeller kids are from. I only know from Yappi they have a transfer named Mahaffey from Northwest (?) who has to sit out.

Max Land is from Mason.
The kid that is sitting out, wow, looks crazy athletic.
They won the second quarter against springboro 29-0. You better make your first shot against them because you aren't getting a rebound.