The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Which is why I am fine with them standing pat until the trade deadline. Never know what the holes of this team may be bc of injury or bad play.

If you had to choose one player who the Reds need to be good/great in order for them to compete in/for the playoffs, who would that be?

I would say Trevor Bauer. I think he is the key to this staff being great. Especially come playoff time where they can potentially wheel out three top end starters
I would agree, Bauer's season will largely tell how good this team can be this year. BTW, he starts today for the Reds.

Just a heads up, for any of you Reds fans that rely on YouTube TV for your streaming TV service, like I do...

Just got an email that YouTube TV and Sinclair negotiations fell through, and as of Feb 29 YouTube TV will no longer carry Fox Sport Regional channels. I live on Fox Sports Ohio for my Blue Jackets and Reds! So pi$$ed right now, that they give us 2 days notice.

FWIW, cutting the cable over a year ago has been mostly great, and we save a ton of money each month. You get unlimited DVR and lots of great stuff with YouTube TV, but I've had to switch services twice now to accommodate the favorite channels for my wife and I. Hopefully at some point all the change settles down. But I need to figure this out for hockey and baseball season!

Just a heads up, for any of you Reds fans that rely on YouTube TV for your streaming TV service, like I do...

Just got an email that YouTube TV and Sinclair negotiations fell through, and as of Feb 29 YouTube TV will no longer carry Fox Sport Regional channels. I live on Fox Sports Ohio for my Blue Jackets and Reds! So pi$$ed right now, that they give us 2 days notice.

FWIW, cutting the cable over a year ago has been mostly great, and we save a ton of money each month. You get unlimited DVR and lots of great stuff with YouTube TV, but I've had to switch services twice now to accommodate the favorite channels for my wife and I. Hopefully at some point all the change settles down. But I need to figure this out for hockey and baseball season!

MLBstreams thread on Reddit will get you every MLB game both home and away broadcasts. Lived out of Ohio for two years now and can get every Reds game. No blackouts either. You can either watch on a computer or a TV with internet if you have one.

I'm interested to see what Sinclair is going to do with FSO and their other regional sports networks. Sinclair is legally required to change the Fox branding within a few weeks I think. Would make sense to do that by the start of baseball season but that's probably not going to happen by then. I hope that's all that changes because overall FSO does a great job with Reds and Jackets coverage imo.

So far negotiations between Sinclair and cable/streaming providers have been disastrous. In addition to a bunch of providers dropping the Fox RSNs the Cubs new network still isn't on comcast in Chicago. That alone would be about $100M/year in lost revenue for the Cubs/Sinclair ?

MLBstreams thread on Reddit will get you every MLB game both home and away broadcasts. Lived out of Ohio for two years now and can get every Reds game. No blackouts either. You can either watch on a computer or a TV with internet if you have one.
Thank you for that! I guess for now YouTube and Sinclair have an extension in place while they renegotitate.

I'm interested to see what Sinclair is going to do with FSO and their other regional sports networks. Sinclair is legally required to change the Fox branding within a few weeks I think. Would make sense to do that by the start of baseball season but that's probably not going to happen by then. I hope that's all that changes because overall FSO does a great job with Reds and Jackets coverage imo.

So far negotiations between Sinclair and cable/streaming providers have been disastrous. In addition to a bunch of providers dropping the Fox RSNs the Cubs new network still isn't on comcast in Chicago. That alone would be about $100M/year in lost revenue for the Cubs/Sinclair ?
I'm all for Sinclair losing lots of money, they are the problem in this. And they are basically terrible. The own a bunch of local affiliate channels, and while the news is supposed to be politics-neutral, they shove a bunch of Sinclair-mandated propaganda pieces down the affiliates throats, and make them air it. You can see it on the anchors faces "they are making me read this crap." Sinclair is the worst.

So let's talk roster construction for the 2020 season, who do you think will be on the roster to start the season. Let's just assume things will go better than expected and Senzel and Suarez are available for opening day.

Givens:
Votto
Suarez
Galvis
Farmer
Barnhart
Casali
Moustakas

Castellaneos
Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Jankowski

Miley
Gray
Castillo
DeScalafani
Bauer

Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Stroup
Stephenson

that's 21 spots, up to 3 more pitchers, and up to1 position player. This likely would be... Ervin, Blandino, Dietrich, Colon, Acquino, VanMeter and Schebler.

I'm all for guys who go to the plate and not make outs. Keep the line moving.
We agree on that! It's all about OBP. Right now Joey's spring batting average is .000 and his OBP is .500. Obviously that won't continue, but if he walked 250 times in 500 plate appearances, I'd be totally OK with a .000 batting average.

So let's talk roster construction for the 2020 season, who do you think will be on the roster to start the season. Let's just assume things will go better than expected and Senzel and Suarez are available for opening day.

Givens:
Votto
Suarez
Galvis
Farmer
Barnhart
Casali
Moustakas

Castellaneos
Winker
Akiyama
Senzel
Jankowski

Miley
Gray
Castillo
DeScalafani
Bauer

Lorenzen
Iglesias
Garrett
Stroup
Stephenson

that's 21 spots, up to 3 more pitchers, and up to1 position player. This likely would be... Ervin, Blandino, Dietrich, Colon, Acquino, VanMeter and Schebler.
You listed 22 names, not 21. But as of this season the roster is 26.

I would guess the Reds will have 13 pitchers. I agree with your 10 guys, but 3 more will be chosen. I'd say Mahle and De Leon are almost givens. Not sure about #13. 12 pitchers may be enough for April, given all the off days.

I also think your 12 position players are probably correct, assuming Senzel and Suarez are ready. I would like to see Tyler Stephenson push out Casali - he is off to a good start this spring. I hope Aquino is on the roster and starting, but he is off to a bad start this spring, and it is hard to justify 6 OF guys. If Senzel can play infield that is ideal, and Aquino is my last spot, otherwise it is Dietrich for me.

You listed 22 names, not 21. But as of this season the roster is 26.

I would guess the Reds will have 13 pitchers. I agree with your 10 guys, but 3 more will be chosen. I'd say Mahle and De Leon are almost givens. Not sure about #13. 12 pitchers may be enough for April, given all the off days.

I also think your 12 position players are probably correct, assuming Senzel and Suarez are ready. I would like to see Tyler Stephenson push out Casali - he is off to a good start this spring. I hope Aquino is on the roster and starting, but he is off to a bad start this spring, and it is hard to justify 6 OF guys. If Senzel can play infield that is ideal, and Aquino is my last spot, otherwise it is Dietrich for me.
I left the end open as there are going to be some decisions that have to be made. I'm afraid Acquino will be an odd man out. A guy like VanMeter is a better fit. Do you think Mahle is a bullpen guy then? I think Mahle starts in Louisville as an insurance policy if MIley craps out early. If Stephenson isn't going to be your everyday catcher, he needs to be in Louisville, at least to start the season. I think as good as our starting rotation is, Tucker is the best catcher for us, even with his light bat. Calsali is a good backup. I do feel Stephenson will be our starting catcher in 2021. You'll see him some this season likely late season.
Also, don't be shocked if one of the young SS's make the roster and Galvis is the utility guy.

They can designate a two way player as well that I assume will be Lorenzen. That potentially gives them an extra pitching arm as long as they get him at-bats and playing time in the outfield to meet the requirements. 20 games played in the outfield with at least 3 plate appearances in each game. I think it retroactively applies to last season as well.

I love Lorenzen, but IMO the only way he plays 20 games in the OF with 3 ABs per game is if we have a problem, like injuries, guys being unproductive, etc. If all is going as expected having Lorenzen play OF just for roster flexibility is not worth it.

He is a key bullpen guy. His usage and appearances are not known in advance, and he may be needed 3 days in a row sometimes. I would only exercise the 2-way player if that player is one of my 4 best OF guys, and he is a starting pitcher. Then you could plan his OF days around the rotation. Doesn;t work with a key bullpen guy.

Last edited:
Speaking of 2 way players.... Anyone else see where Jose Bautista is trying to make a comeback as a pitcher? Reportedly hitting 96mph in Dominican league. He is 39.

Speaking of 2 way players.... Anyone else see where Jose Bautista is trying to make a comeback as a pitcher? Reportedly hitting 96mph in Dominican league. He is 39.
Had not heard that. But I hope he makes it to the MLB, and someone hits a dinger off him and does the mother of all bat-flips on him. I would enjoy the irony.

Do you feel there is any difference in HOW the rotation is set up? If so, how would you like to see the rotation set? I'm assuming that Castillo is the opening day starter. After that, who do you go with 2-3-4-5? Is Miley the dead set 5th starter or is there a chance he passed Desclafani?

I'd go as follows
Castillo
Gray
Bauer
Miley
DeSclafani

I love Lorenzen, but IMO the only way he plays 20 games in the OF with 3 ABs per game is if we have a problem, like injuries, guys being unproductive, etc. If all is going as expected having Lorenzen play OF just for roster flexibility is not worth it.

He is a key bullpen guy. His usage and appearances are not known in advance, and he may be needed 3 days in a row sometimes. I would only exercise the 2-way player if that player is one of my 4 best OF guys, and he is a starting pitcher. Then you could plan his OF days around the rotation. Doesn;t work with a key bullpen guy.

Sounds like the can't designate him at the start of the season, you have to earn the designation by playing the games in a position and getting the at bats, then a player can be changed from a pitcher to a two way player. So no way the Reds could carry 14 "pitchers" to start the season.

Sounds like the can't designate him at the start of the season, you have to earn the designation by playing the games in a position and getting the at bats, then a player can be changed from a pitcher to a two way player. So no way the Reds could carry 14 "pitchers" to start the season.
They don't need to. There are plenty of off days in April.

They don't need to. There are plenty of off days in April.

I know they don't need to. I was simply pointing out it's not something you can designate and then have to get the player the correct number of at-bats and playing days to comply with the rule. You have to earn the at-bats and playing time before hand. They would only be able to designate him to start the season if he had gotten the at-bats and playing days last season, which he probably didn't.

I wasn't clear on the rule until now, so thanks for that. All I was saying is if Lorenzen plays 20 games in the OF with 3ABs, we have a serious problem. Needed him last year because Winker and Senzel were hurt, and Schebler stunk. This year's OF is seriously upgraded and full, so I want my top bullpen guys focused only on that job.

Hate to be a pessamist but IMO a .500 team this year. Geno, Moose and Castellanos are the only ones I see having decent years. Votto is washed up, Barnhardt and Galvis are never were's and Senzel is a question mark. The pitching is solid but I don't like the make up of this team. They are weak up the middle with Barnhardt, Galvis and Senzel which does not bode well. They also are in a division with a lot of good teams. They should have went all in for Lindor or Seager

Galvis is hurt again (quad). I hope they give Garcia a ton of AB against known big league pitching late in camp. It's a big jump from A to the bigs.... Got to find out if he can make it now.

If not.... call Cleveland and pay up.

Hate to be a pessamist but IMO a .500 team this year. Geno, Moose and Castellanos are the only ones I see having decent years. Votto is washed up, Barnhardt and Galvis are never were's and Senzel is a question mark. The pitching is solid but I don't like the make up of this team. They are weak up the middle with Barnhardt, Galvis and Senzel which does not bode well. They also are in a division with a lot of good teams. They should have went all in for Lindor or Seager
You know the difference between a .500 team and a playoff team? About 10 games. So that's anywhere from 76-86, and 86-76, the outcome of 10 games could make the difference in a season. I think we should be pretty darn good this year. I was a "strong up the middle guy" but baseball has changed. Analytics allow you to shift players enough that having players with great defensive range isn't necessary anymore. I think our pitching staff, with a full season with Derek Johnson, we'll be elite. If Casetellanos, Geno and Moose have good years, others will as well. I like our depth, Van Meter, Jankowski will be able to be flexible pieces for us.

Well, let's clarify a few things.

Votto is washed up, Barnhardt and Galvis are never were's and Senzel is a question mark. The pitching is solid but I don't like the make up of this team. They are weak up the middle with Barnhardt, Galvis and Senzel which does not bode well.
A) "Votto is washed up" is nothing more than an opinion, and is only remotely true if you care only about power numbers. As I've pointed out repeatedly, in 2018 he was #2 in the MLB in OBP. He definitely had a bad year in 2019, and dropped off to 2nd on the Reds in OBP. But he seems far from washed up, unless you do not believe in OBP and real baseball metrics.

B) In what scenario do you see the Reds having Barnhart, Galvis and Senzel up the middle? Akiyama is the everyday CF, and Moose is the everyday 2B if Geno is healthy. I would like to see Senzel supplant Galvis at SS when he is healthy, or the new kid Garcia just steals the job. And by the way, the old guy "strong up the middle" argument is all about defense. Barny, Senzel and Galvis are great at defense, so your argument makes no sense.

You know the difference between a .500 team and a playoff team? About 10 games. So that's anywhere from 76-86, and 86-76, the outcome of 10 games could make the difference in a season.

For people like you that struggle with math, .500 is 81-81. A 10 game swing would be 91-71, not 86-76. Glad I could clear that up.

I think the Reds go 88-74 with decent health and no big deadline additions. Let's hear those predictions.

For people like you that struggle with math, .500 is 81-81. A 10 game swing would be 91-71, not 86-76. Glad I could clear that up.

I think the Reds go 88-74 with decent health and no big deadline additions. Let's hear those predictions.
My point is .500 is good in baseball. In fact, most teams are not that much above or below .500. The difference many times is how you do in one run games and/ or extra inning games.

Well, let's clarify a few things.

A) "Votto is washed up" is nothing more than an opinion, and is only remotely true if you care only about power numbers. As I've pointed out repeatedly, in 2018 he was #2 in the MLB in OBP. He definitely had a bad year in 2019, and dropped off to 2nd on the Reds in OBP. But he seems far from washed up, unless you do not believe in OBP and real baseball metrics.

B) In what scenario do you see the Reds having Barnhart, Galvis and Senzel up the middle? Akiyama is the everyday CF, and Moose is the everyday 2B if Geno is healthy. I would like to see Senzel supplant Galvis at SS when he is healthy, or the new kid Garcia just steals the job. And by the way, the old guy "strong up the middle" argument is all about defense. Barny, Senzel and Galvis are great at defense, so your argument makes no sense.

Number one you are confusing me with 14 red, read my post, I never said they would be 86-76. Number two, "up the middle" refers to C, SS, CF, not 2B. Number three Shogo will play LF and Senzel will be in CF until he inevitably get's hurt. Number four, Votto is in decline, if you cant see the trend I cant help you. .500 is more realistic for this team, sorry