GMC votes to remove Holgate

Finally found the map I was looking for and yes all of Liberty is Van Wert district. Probably just a few families deciding to take kids to Parkway as I know some around Ohio City choose Lincolnview. I would have been alright with the proposed district you had. Basically not a fan of Convoy or Rockford and hate that's where the schools are. Yours would have made more sense with the school in or around Ohio City. My preference would be to leave Elgin & Venedocia out and just have a school near Glenmore or Schumm with Willshire, Wren, and Ohio City.
But....do you believe that Glenmore, Schumm, Willshire, Wren, and Ohio City have enough kids to make a modern day school and field sports and academic teams? Just thinking out loud, but where is the cutoff for Wren? I'll use an influential Wren family for instance. The Lichtensteigers. Some of them live North of 224 and bring in big farm tax money to the school district. Would they go to Crestview? How about the Owens name which has been around since the early 1900s. Where would their kids go to school? I think you would be surprised at how many athletic families would still go to Convoy to school for namesake.

You make a valid point. It wasn't long ago that the Ohio City Warriors were competing alongside Mendon Union and other small schools (1980s). But, I think while your ideas are neat in nature, they might not work. I look at Fort Jennings and Ottoville for example. Depending on the year, they don't have enough kids to field junior high teams. Its a tough prospect of small town Ohio when we still have 200-300 person communities like Wren and Ohio City.

Interesting reading this. I had often wondered just how southern Van Wert County had been split up like it was, with Crestview just looking like a huge, weird district on the map and Ohio City being in the VW district. Always seemed odd to me that they weren't together or at least in with Parkway/Lincolnview. Also didn't realize it happened so late! I'd heard of Mendon Union and knew that wasn't all that long ago. Didn't realize the Willshire/Wren/Ohio City area was like that too.

Is that why Crestview didn't have football through the 80s and 90s and then brought it back?

Edit: It kind of all reminds me of Paulding County and their consolidations. On a map, there doesn't appear to be much reason for Payne to be with Haviland, Scott, and Grover Hill. Latty and Broughton could easily gone with Paulding. And why did Oakwood/Melrose choose Paulding instead of WT or maybe even someone like Continental?

It's fascinating to see and hear how these things happen, realizing that the small village/township school days really weren't THAT long ago. There's so many different ways they could have combined that could have changed everything! For example, Payne going with Paulding or Antwerp and then leaving most of the current WT territory with Convoy.

Interesting reading this. I had often wondered just how southern Van Wert County had been split up like it was, with Crestview just looking like a huge, weird district on the map and Ohio City being in the VW district. Always seemed odd to me that they weren't together or at least in with Parkway/Lincolnview. Also didn't realize it happened so late! I'd heard of Mendon Union and knew that wasn't all that long ago. Didn't realize the Willshire/Wren/Ohio City area was like that too.

Is that why Crestview didn't have football through the 80s and 90s and then brought it back?

Edit: It kind of all reminds me of Paulding County and their consolidations. On a map, there doesn't appear to be much reason for Payne to be with Haviland, Scott, and Grover Hill. Latty and Broughton could easily gone with Paulding. And why did Oakwood/Melrose choose Paulding instead of WT or maybe even someone like Continental?

It's fascinating to see and hear how these things happen, realizing that the small village/township school days really weren't THAT long ago. There's so many different ways they could have combined that could have changed everything! For example, Payne going with Paulding or Antwerp and then leaving most of the current WT territory with Convoy.
If you ask community members about Crestview football, we all have different stories as to why it left. Some would say because of coaching, some would say funding, some would say because Crestview wanted to be an XC school and football messed with basketball season, and some would say split elementary schools. We have always been a very small school. And numbers could be part of it.

As for Ohio City, the Ohio City corporation limits actually end at Wren corporation limits, and still do to this day, which meant that kids could go to Ohio City or to Wren to school, depending on where the buses travelled and which side of the road you lived on. Thus when Ohio City schools closed down, there were kids that split and went to either Van Wert or Crestview.

Crestview used to have 2 elementary schools (formerly high schools) in the 70s and 80s which were Crestview North in Union Township which drew kids from places like Scott and then we had Crestview South in Wren. Oddly, even though we all went to high school together in Convoy, we were somewhat rivals and had different ideals. The North building caught fire around 1990, and the school district was forced to bus kids from all over the district down to Wren for elementary school. There were a few kids on the outskirts of the school district that ended up having class in churches. In 1992, the schools combined and the elementary was built onto the high school along with a new basketball gym. Seven years later, we had football again. Kind of odd that it took the schools combining to bring back a very popular sport.

Just a little background of how everything was split.

But....do you believe that Glenmore, Schumm, Willshire, Wren, and Ohio City have enough kids to make a modern day school and field sports and academic teams? Just thinking out loud, but where is the cutoff for Wren? I'll use an influential Wren family for instance. The Lichtensteigers. Some of them live North of 224 and bring in big farm tax money to the school district. Would they go to Crestview? How about the Owens name which has been around since the early 1900s. Where would their kids go to school? I think you would be surprised at how many athletic families would still go to Convoy to school for namesake.

You make a valid point. It wasn't long ago that the Ohio City Warriors were competing alongside Mendon Union and other small schools (1980s). But, I think while your ideas are neat in nature, they might not work. I look at Fort Jennings and Ottoville for example. Depending on the year, they don't have enough kids to field junior high teams. Its a tough prospect of small town Ohio when we still have 200-300 person communities like Wren and Ohio City.

More than likely they would be the Ft Jennings & Ottoville, but it if it would have happened that way earlier (my gist), who knows. I'd have it at the township lines. Maybe keep Elgin in the previous post and lose Venedocia or have them choose. Willshire, Liberty, and York townships could be one or Willshire, Liberty, and the southern half of Harrison township (anything south of 224 in Harrison township) would be another (my preference).

As for the influential names, how many would Parkway lose to this idea? I think you'd just be trading some for others in a sense. Just good food for thought and how the school district lines in Van Wert & parts of Mercer County are "unique".

If you ask community members about Crestview football, we all have different stories as to why it left. Some would say because of coaching, some would say funding, some would say because Crestview wanted to be an XC school and football messed with basketball season, and some would say split elementary schools. We have always been a very small school. And numbers could be part of it.

As for Ohio City, the Ohio City corporation limits actually end at Wren corporation limits, and still do to this day, which meant that kids could go to Ohio City or to Wren to school, depending on where the buses travelled and which side of the road you lived on. Thus when Ohio City schools closed down, there were kids that split and went to either Van Wert or Crestview.

Crestview used to have 2 elementary schools (formerly high schools) in the 70s and 80s which were Crestview North in Union Township which drew kids from places like Scott and then we had Crestview South in Wren. Oddly, even though we all went to high school together in Convoy, we were somewhat rivals and had different ideals. The North building caught fire around 1990, and the school district was forced to bus kids from all over the district down to Wren for elementary school. There were a few kids on the outskirts of the school district that ended up having class in churches. In 1992, the schools combined and the elementary was built onto the high school along with a new basketball gym. Seven years later, we had football again. Kind of odd that it took the schools combining to bring back a very popular sport.

Just a little background of how everything was split.

This is still the case, in a way. It may not be as fierce as time goes on, but you see it in summer ball. Same goes for Willshire and Rockford. I myself didn't have any partaking in either of those, but have family that has (Wren & Willshire). Guess it is in my blood though, as the other side of my family fought to the bitter end to keep Pleasant Mills from consolidating with Adams Central (mainly Monroe). My father and uncles had that type of rivalry in summer ball for Pleasant Mills vs Monroe even though they all went to school at Adams Central in Monroe. I'm sure my step kids and kids and my cousins' kids (all who are in one of the 3 districts along with South Adams: Geneva vs Berne) will have no idea about the rivalry. Funny how my great grandparents and grandparents fought it, and then my parents felt the rivalry as well, while my generation had a watered down version.

Selfishly being in the area and having family connections to Parkway and Crestview, I'd love to see Parkway go to the NWC, but they won't leave the MAC. I don't think the NWC really needs to add another member for football to be honest. Be nice to see the current NWC implode before my step kids get in Jr HS & HS. Allen East, Col Grove, Bluffton, and Ada are a bit out of the road but I guess not horrible. Same goes for Anna and Versailles in the MAC. As mentioned, Lincolnview ever getting a football team would be the best answer, but won't happen either. My biggest farfetched dream is to have a new small school come about taking away kids from Van Wert & Mercer Co areas. Mostly Crestview, Parkway, and Van Wert affected with little to Lincolnview as well. Mainly take Wren, Willshire, Ohio City, and Chatt kids into a school, but then you'd have Van Wert dropping down, Parkway, Crestview towards D7 or 8 man, and Lincolnview hampered in most sports. That is unless the Chicago move-ins keep spreading east. They've hit the neighboring areas in Indiana already and Illinois is paying them to come to this area.
I have never understood the travel argument in the NWC. Yes Ada to Paulding is a haul but other than Spencerville, all drives are an easy travel across US 30 or within 20 miles. Not bad at all. And for you to say Allen East, Col Grove, Ada & Bluffton are "a bit out of the road" is misplaced. Some schools will always be the out of the way schools in any/all conference. Not all schools can be the "center" of a conference. The NWC has been together since 1947 with 2 of the schools you mention as being "out of the road" are founding members. You will be hard pressed to find too many other conferences in Ohio with that longevity and history.

I have never understood the travel argument in the NWC. Yes Ada to Paulding is a haul but other than Spencerville, all drives are an easy travel across US 30 or within 20 miles. Not bad at all. And for you to say Allen East, Col Grove, Ada & Bluffton are "a bit out of the road" is misplaced. Some schools will always be the out of the way schools in any/all conference. Not all schools can be the "center" of a conference. The NWC has been together since 1947 with 2 of the schools you mention as being "out of the road" are founding members. You will be hard pressed to find too many other conferences in Ohio with that longevity and history.

I come from Indiana, where most of your conference members are fairly close. The MAC is like this except for Versailles and Anna and to a point St Johns. However the area I'm from, St John's isn't too far and is like the farthest conference member of Indiana schools in this area. Spencerville, Delphos Jefferson, Lincolnview, and Paulding are not bad drives. Neither is Wayne Trace or Antwerp or any of the Mercer County MAC schools. It is what it is and I don't see very many changes occurring.

Just out of Curiosity cknights, what year did Ohio City-Liberty close?

Just out of Curiosity cknights, what year did Ohio City-Liberty close?
The actual school closed in 2006. It served as an elementary school after schools started to consolidate. My best guess is late 80s. I believe I still recall them and Mendon Union having basketball battles in their little gym at that time. The Goodwins (who you are familiar with) played for Mendon in the mid 80s and I do recall that.

The actual school closed in 2006. It served as an elementary school after schools started to consolidate. My best guess is late 80s. I believe I still recall them and Mendon Union having basketball battles in their little gym at that time. The Goodwins (who you are familiar with) played for Mendon in the mid 80s and I do recall that.
Which Goodwins you refer to? Tim?

Defiance Crescent News article says that Paulding was invited to join and accepted. In reading the article further, Paulding has not yet formally accepted the offer.

If that's true, it's domino #2. It will be interesting to see where the NWC goes. I just can't imagine them wanting to deal with small schools like USV and Perry again.
With USV having numbers in the teens, I think it'd be irresponsible of them to leave their league. Perry would be a lower tier football team in the NWC but if that's what they want to be then so be it. I think it'd be dumb of Perry to leave the NWCC. So who does that leave then? Probably the teams that have been discussed to death already

With USV having numbers in the teens, I think it'd be irresponsible of them to leave their league. Perry would be a lower tier football team in the NWC but if that's what they want to be then so be it. I think it'd be dumb of Perry to leave the NWCC. So who does that leave then? Probably the teams that have been discussed to death already

Here we go again ?

In a perfect world where all of these teams would be willing to leave their current leagues, I would like to see someone out of the pool of Leipsic, Patrick Henry, Bath, Delphos St. John's, or Parkway. Who knows if any of them are actually a possibility though.

Why do people keep mentioning Patrick Henry and the NWC? Grove would be the closest school at roughly 30 min away.

This is somewhat of an interesting opening in the NWC though. I'd think a few districts will have to take an extra long look, even with long standing relationships in their current league.

One thing I will say - neither the MAC nor the WBL are leagues where struggling sports programs can easily get out of losing ways. And losing ways obviously effect many other things.

Last edited:
Why do people keep mentioning Patrick Henry and the NWC? Grove would be the closest school at roughly 30 min away.

This is somewhat of an interesting opening in the NWC though. I'd think a few districts will have to take an extra long look, even with long standing relationships in their current league.

One thing I will say - neither the MAC nor the WBL are leagues where struggling sports programs can easily get out of losing ways. And losing ways obviously effect many other things.
The only thing I think that keeps them from being an obvious pick is distance, but other than that they match the NWC very well. Competitive in every sport the NWC has, similar size, and great facilities that match the level of the conference. Maybe not likely, but I would be happy if they are added

Patrick Henry in the NWC would be Hopewell Lounden in the BVC 2.0. Wouldn't last long and would be looking to go "home".

PH would be stupid to move. The longest trip in the NWOAL is around 50 minutes to Bryan, and they and LC run the league. We're talking about a D7 who dominates the D4s and 5s. They aren't leaving that. And if they did, it would be the BVC, not the NWC.

In a perfect world where all of these teams would be willing to leave their current leagues, I would like to see someone out of the pool of Leipsic, Patrick Henry, Bath, Delphos St. John's, or Parkway. Who knows if any of them are actually a possibility though.
Leipsic- wouldn't be a bad selection but I dont think they'd necessarily want to leave the BVC

Patrick Henry- If PH leaves the NWOAL, I dont think itll be for the NWC. Just my thought. They would fit in the GMC if the GMC wanted to go to 10 (and add Montpelier)

Bath- Theyd make things interesting. They certainly fit the NWC footprint.

DSJ- I've probably said it a million times, the only way I see them leaving the MAC is the school closing. But their enrollment is quite down

Parkway- They've finished basketball wise in the upper half and had a great football season by their standards and I hope the schools athletics are on an upswing. I've said my piece on why they should take a NWC offer if presented one. But Parkway is a charter member of the MAC. That has to count for something.

It took 32 days for the GMC to "sort this out". I doubt we're looking at years here.
Ok it takes some teams a year or two to officially leave a Conference. And then all the dominos that fall after. Yes it did take them 32 days to make Paulding an offer and honestly I'm surprised it wasn't sooner.

PH would be stupid to move. The longest trip in the NWOAL is around 50 minutes to Bryan, and they and LC run the league. We're talking about a D7 who dominates the D4s and 5s. They aren't leaving that. And if they did, it would be the BVC, not the NWC.
What is so attractive about the BVC. Half of the schools facilities are crap and a bunch of the teams dont have JV teams.

What is so attractive about the BVC. Half of the schools facilities are crap and a bunch of the teams dont have JV teams.

Driving distances.

And a move by PH(or any other school) would most likely coincide with the Vanlue and Arcadia types leaving.

Last edited:
Leipsic- wouldn't be a bad selection but I dont think they'd necessarily want to leave the BVC

Patrick Henry- If PH leaves the NWOAL, I dont think itll be for the NWC. Just my thought. They would fit in the GMC if the GMC wanted to go to 10 (and add Montpelier)

Bath- Theyd make things interesting. They certainly fit the NWC footprint.

DSJ- I've probably said it a million times, the only way I see them leaving the MAC is the school closing. But their enrollment is quite down

Parkway- They've finished basketball wise in the upper half and had a great football season by their standards and I hope the schools athletics are on an upswing. I've said my piece on why they should take a NWC offer if presented one. But Parkway is a charter member of the MAC. That has to count for something.

I agree with you. They fit more of the NWC profile recently than the MAC, especially with wrestling gaining ground. Would selfishly like to see it as a fan with family members at Crestview and Parkway.