GMC votes to remove Holgate

The most likely scenario is if a team like Paulding got roped into joining the GMC, then the NWC would go back after Perry or USV and possibly Elida to bring them back to the NWC. However, this is a complete crap shoot of a guess. LCC is still somewhat desperate to get back into a conference. They would be a fourth option. But, I think its still way too early to even have conjecture as to having multiple teams jump into multiple conferences. 2020-2021 schedules are set as of right now. For all sports (for the most part). There won't be too many major changes in conferences if their hand isn't forced.

Lima Perry- dont see it. I think lack of depth would eat them alive.

Upper Scioto Valley- should be playing 8 man along with the rest of the NWCC including Perry.

Elida wont happen.

LCC- Fits geographically but they were voted out before, not sure why they'd rejoin.

The only 2 schools I can see joining should Paulding leave for the GMC are Parkway or Lima Bath. I'm not so sure a school like Patrick Henry would leave the NWOAL. Again this is all hypothetical in thinking. For all we know Paulding could end up staying and Montpelier ends up joining.

Upper Scioto Valley- should be playing 8 man along with the rest of the NWCC including Perry.

Elida wont happen.

LCC- Fits geographically but they were voted out before, not sure why they'd rejoin.

The only 2 schools I can see joining should Paulding leave for the GMC are Parkway or Lima Bath. I'm not so sure a school like Patrick Henry would leave the NWOAL. Again this is all hypothetical in thinking. For all we know Paulding could end up staying and Montpelier ends up joining.
Parkway is not going to join any other conference unless they are voted out of the MAC. Period. If they were offered membership in both the GMC or the NWC, they'd probably actually prefer to join the GMC. Not saying that either of those things would happen, but Parkway is more likely to join the GMC than the NWC.

Perry is the most likely school to join the NWC to replace Paulding.

Bath and Elida are not options. LCC is not an option. USV is not an option.

Parkway is not going to join any other conference unless they are voted out of the MAC. Period. If they were offered membership in both the GMC or the NWC, they'd probably actually prefer to join the GMC. Not saying that either of those things would happen, but Parkway is more likely to join the GMC than the NWC.

Perry is the most likely school to join the NWC to replace Paulding.

Bath and Elida are not options. LCC is not an option. USV is not an option.

I realize Parkway has a tad of success, but it’s been a long while...and the MAC isn’t exactly a league you can rebound quickly in. They should consider taking a look at either option should it become available.

Potentially half the BVC could be 8 man in few years. There will be lots of movement and plenty of options for the NWC

Potentially half the BVC could be 8 man in few years. There will be lots of movement and plenty of options for the NWC
Arcadia, Cory and Vanlue should. Pandora seems to get it done in 11 man with a small number of boys.

No. I'm thinking Elida. They are a former NWC member. I think its a long stretch as well, and with sports such as men's and women's soccer being their strong suit, I highly doubt it as well. However, they are not competing well as of late in the WBL in most sports (similar to Paulding in the NWC) and give a good proximity to the other NWC schools if they don't like the drive to Kenton or OG, etc. If we are basing Paulding going back to the GMC only on proximity of the conference, I was/am basing Elida on the same metric. But you are correct. Likely no way this one would happen.

There's still a big difference in size though. Paulding would simply be a small D5 jumping from one D6/7 league to another. There's a BIG chance Paulding IS a D6 in the next few years. They fit.

A D3 in a D6/7 would be crazy, IMO.

I do know Elida was an NWC member though. Just couldn't see that one happening at all again. Bath on the other hand, if they keep shrinking......

Elida wont happen.

I always see PH brought up in these things and I never understand why. I could MAYBE see then in the BVC with their proximity to NB, McComb, Leipsic, etc., but why would they jump to the NWC where schools like Crestview and Spencerville are over an hour away when EVERYONE in the NWOAL is within 50 minutes AND they're a D7 who regularly beats the D4/5s in the league. I could see if Bryan and Wauseon regularly dominated, but that's been a PH and LC run league for 25 years with the ocassional uprising by Archbold. I can't see them leaving that.

why wouldn’t Parkway want in the NWC? plenty of rivals for them.
Who? Crestview, Spencerville, and Lincolnview? You mean three schools they already play in almost every other sport?

Parkway's longest trip in the MAC is 45 minutes.

In the NWC, it's an hour to Ada, an hour to Allen East, an hour to Bluffton, and almost an hour to Columbus Grove.

If they didn't have to go north or east of Lima, sure Parkway would fit in the NWC. But there's more to the conference than Crestview, Lincolnview, Spencerville, Delphos Jefferson, and Paulding (for now).

Elida wont happen.

Lima Bath would be intriguing, but I don't see any reason they would join. We have little to no relationship with them. Perry, USV, Elida, and LCC have all been members at one time. When LCC was voted out, there were alot of problems and speculation as to where kids were coming from to go to their school to compete in sports, etc. A few members were extremely upset and LCC was kicked.

As for Paulding, I want to SQUASH this rumor for now. Their brass has come out and said no one from the GMC has been in contact with them and they are a devout NWC member. Could this change? Sure. But it would take a couple of years if they decided to exit. They have no plans to exit ASAP as people try to elude to.

As for the Parkway to the NWC conversation.....I hear this constantly. Again, I will go back to the Mendon Union days. The consolidation days. The days when Parkway was more than one school participating in the MAC. Their history is as deep or deeper than most MAC schools. I find it really hard to believe that they would ever care to leave conferences.

Right now, I don't think the GMC is in trouble. Yes. They jumped the gun on kicking Holgate. However, a seven team football conference can survive (ask the NWC). I don't know that anyone is going to be quick to join and not sure the GMC will be quick to add unless its a perfect fit.

Lima Bath would be intriguing, but I don't see any reason they would join. We have little to no relationship with them. Perry, USV, Elida, and LCC have all been members at one time. When LCC was voted out, there were alot of problems and speculation as to where kids were coming from to go to their school to compete in sports, etc. A few members were extremely upset and LCC was kicked.

CKnights I agree with everything except this part. Of these 3 schools Perry is the only one that could possibly have a chance of rejoining the NWC, and that is a VERY slight chance. Elida is massively larger than every other school in the conference. Other than location that would not make sense for them or for the rest of the league whatsoever. USV on the other hand is massively smaller, and I'd put money on it that they'll be looking at 8 man football in the near future. As for LCC, they were kicked out of the league once for a reason, and odds are the admin at LCC are still so upset about it that they wouldn't even want back into the NWC.

CKnights I agree with everything except this part. Of these 3 schools Perry is the only one that could possibly have a chance of rejoining the NWC, and that is a VERY slight chance. Elida is massively larger than every other school in the conference. Other than location that would not make sense for them or for the rest of the league whatsoever. USV on the other hand is massively smaller, and I'd put money on it that they'll be looking at 8 man football in the near future. As for LCC, they were kicked out of the league once for a reason, and odds are the admin at LCC are still so upset about it that they wouldn't even want back into the NWC.
Certainly alot of long shots. Perry has done well as of recent in conference in football and they have fared okay in basketball from time to time over the past few years. Not sure there is even a need to think about bringing someone in, but with Holgate leaving and the speculation of Paulding going elsewhere, its an interesting discussion as to what makes sense. The NWC could look into PCL schools (Grove is one that goes both ways) and a couple of those make sense as well. Obviously only the ones with football. Outside of that, if Lincolnview ever came around and voted football in, then this would be a non-discussion. Leipsic and Patrick Henry make sense to some because of their proximity to Grove and the Allen County schools. It wouldn't be as easy for Van Wert County area schools. And they don't stretch their sports schedules to Van Wert County Schools.

As for LCC, let's just say this. There was quite a bit of turnover in their sports coaching structure and administration when booted from the NWC. I'm unsure if their new AD or outgoing AD (Kill) have any animosity towards the NWC as they schedule the NWC in multiple boys and girls sports every year. I personally don't want them back, but if needs be, I wouldn't care. The NWC has competed well with their teams in recent years.

As for Paulding, I want to SQUASH this rumor for now. Their brass has come out and said no one from the GMC has been in contact with them and they are a devout NWC member. Could this change? Sure. But it would take a couple of years if they decided to exit. They have no plans to exit ASAP as people try to elude to.

As for the Parkway to the NWC conversation.....I hear this constantly. Again, I will go back to the Mendon Union days. The consolidation days. The days when Parkway was more than one school participating in the MAC. Their history is as deep or deeper than most MAC schools. I find it really hard to believe that they would ever care to leave conferences.

Right now, I don't think the GMC is in trouble. Yes. They jumped the gun on kicking Holgate. However, a seven team football conference can survive (ask the NWC). I don't know that anyone is going to be quick to join and not sure the GMC will be quick to add unless its a perfect fit.
Bath was a member of NWC in '64/65 and with theere lower numbers student wise, would be a better fit than Elida

Bath was a member of NWC in '64/65 and with theere lower numbers student wise, would be a better fit than Elida
Bath was a member for 3 years in the 60s. This is true but they don't have much of a relationship with the NWC as a whole anymore. I agree with numbers wise and sports wise (especially female sports with softball, soccer, and used to be a dominant basketball school), they would be a good addition to the current trends in the NWC.

I too think Elida is a long shot, and frankly, I don't know how competitive they could be in the NWC in alot of sports, but they were a 24 year member. USV was a 35 year member and Perry was a 44 year member. They dropped out when numbers got sparse, but in recent years, all of the Lima schools have made a comeback with numbers and competitive teams. As for LCC, they were a 7 year member, and I still think they are a good fit in multiple conferences. They may be the Notre Dame of the area....happy to be independent as long as we all schedule them, but they seem to be on the radar of multiple conferences, year in and year out.

It's going to be a rocky road for the next 10 years or so for leagues, especially around NW Ohio until the 8-man picture gets clearer. There's just too many schools that could potentially make the move. We are already seeing it in the SBC River...Danbury has already committed and two more, St. Mary and St. Joe, won't commit but should and it's making for tense times in the league and possibly keeping them from adding new members.

The amount of people suggesting Elida to the NWC in this thread makes me really wonder if they have ever even heard of Elida's high school... Elida had 290 boys in their enrollment figures for '17-'18, the largest school in the NWC is Paulding with 162 boys for the same year... not even remotely a possibility based on size

Regardless of who gets added, with the possibility of 8 man splitting some conferences (BVC, NWCC) the NWC has a massive opportunity to add a few schools long term. Just hope they take advantage of it!

The amount of people suggesting Elida to the NWC in this thread makes me really wonder if they have ever even heard of Elida's high school... Elida had 290 boys in their enrollment figures for '17-'18, the largest school in the NWC is Paulding with 162 boys for the same year... not even remotely a possibility based on size

There's only one talking Elida to the NWC, with the rest of us telling him exactly that.

Bath was a member for 3 years in the 60s. This is true but they don't have much of a relationship with the NWC as a whole anymore. I agree with numbers wise and sports wise (especially female sports with softball, soccer, and used to be a dominant basketball school), they would be a good addition to the current trends in the NWC.

I too think Elida is a long shot, and frankly, I don't know how competitive they could be in the NWC in alot of sports, but they were a 24 year member. USV was a 35 year member and Perry was a 44 year member. They dropped out when numbers got sparse, but in recent years, all of the Lima schools have made a comeback with numbers and competitive teams. As for LCC, they were a 7 year member, and I still think they are a good fit in multiple conferences. They may be the Notre Dame of the area....happy to be independent as long as we all schedule them, but they seem to be on the radar of multiple conferences, year in and year out.

Lol. Elida would tear through the NWC almost every year in most sports. Every WBL school would.

Size matters.

For your insistence that a 24 year bond that ended almost 50 years ago matters, you have to ask: why did they leave in the first place? This isn't a Paulding/GMC thing where they had FAR outgrown the rest of the league AND the league didn't even have football at the time. Both of THOSE problems are no longer issues, exactly why most of us think Paulding would go back.

Elida had far outgrown the NWC, and if anything that gap has widened. There's absolutely zero chance either side would ever bring it up.

Lol. Elida would tear through the NWC almost every year in most sports. Every WBL school would.

Size matters.
Crestview plays Elida, Kenton, Van Wert, Celina, and Shawnee across many of their sports.......typically we win those games or more than a majority of them across all sports in both Jr. High and High School. I can't speak for all of the NWC, I suppose because I haven't seen their records across sports. But, while we are speaking of it.....look up Kalen Etzler's dunk on the poor Celina kid this past weekend. Lol. It happened after the Celina student section was mocking Kalen and telling him he has no hops.

Anyway, I would say that this statement is extremely untrue from my school's standpoint. We tend to win in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and are competitive/win in track and XC.

Just the number of sports and number of athletes that they have compared to the NWC would make it a bad decision for Elida. On top of every sport that the NWC has (and some NWC schools are not at all competitive in those sports if they even have a team) Elida also has girls and boys tennis, girls and boys bowling, and girls and boys swimming and diving, plus girls and boys soccer (not all NWC schools have both or either for soccer) with much greater numbers in all of those sports than what some NWC teams can field in cross country, golf, wrestling, and softball. Yes, Bath has all of the same, but much smaller numbers and far less success in each than Elida, especially in the last 10 years.

Regardless, unless it's Bath (and that may be a long shot as well) I don't see the possibility of any WBL team joining the NWC being very likely.

Just the number of sports and number of athletes that they have compared to the NWC would make it a bad decision for Elida. On top of every sport that the NWC has (and some NWC schools are not at all competitive in those sports if they even have a team) Elida also has girls and boys tennis, girls and boys bowling, and girls and boys swimming and diving, plus girls and boys soccer (not all NWC schools have both or either for soccer) with much greater numbers in all of those sports than what some NWC teams can field in cross country, golf, wrestling, and softball. Yes, Bath has all of the same, but much smaller numbers and far less success in each than Elida, especially in the last 10 years.
Agreed. This has turned into an Elida to the NWC discussion and that was a remote possible name that I threw out from history and track record in sports vs NWC opponents (in particular Crestview which I am familiar with). I personally don't want anything to do with Elida, but we tend to schedule them in multiple spring sports and go to their 7v7s in the fall as well as put them on our Jr. High schedules in nearly everything we have in common. Proximity makes sense and they rarely overpower us.

The Lima area schools are easy picking to scrutinize over because they are in the center of multiple conferences and multiple conferences have their teams in one or all sports (WBL, NWC, NWCC, etc). Bath has taken a back seat to scheduling for Crestview in recent years, while nearly every other Lima area school (outside of Perry) is on our schedule multiple times a year. It would be interesting if anyone of these schools was willing to leave the WBL. As you eluded to, the WBL has started to become a soccer powerhouse (especially boys). The other area conferences cannot help in this capacity.

Selfishly being in the area and having family connections to Parkway and Crestview, I'd love to see Parkway go to the NWC, but they won't leave the MAC. I don't think the NWC really needs to add another member for football to be honest. Be nice to see the current NWC implode before my step kids get in Jr HS & HS. Allen East, Col Grove, Bluffton, and Ada are a bit out of the road but I guess not horrible. Same goes for Anna and Versailles in the MAC. As mentioned, Lincolnview ever getting a football team would be the best answer, but won't happen either. My biggest farfetched dream is to have a new small school come about taking away kids from Van Wert & Mercer Co areas. Mostly Crestview, Parkway, and Van Wert affected with little to Lincolnview as well. Mainly take Wren, Willshire, Ohio City, and Chatt kids into a school, but then you'd have Van Wert dropping down, Parkway, Crestview towards D7 or 8 man, and Lincolnview hampered in most sports. That is unless the Chicago move-ins keep spreading east. They've hit the neighboring areas in Indiana already and Illinois is paying them to come to this area.

Selfishly being in the area and having family connections to Parkway and Crestview, I'd love to see Parkway go to the NWC, but they won't leave the MAC. I don't think the NWC really needs to add another member for football to be honest. Be nice to see the current NWC implode before my step kids get in Jr HS & HS. Allen East, Col Grove, Bluffton, and Ada are a bit out of the road but I guess not horrible. Same goes for Anna and Versailles in the MAC. As mentioned, Lincolnview ever getting a football team would be the best answer, but won't happen either. My biggest farfetched dream is to have a new small school come about taking away kids from Van Wert & Mercer Co areas. Mostly Crestview, Parkway, and Van Wert affected with little to Lincolnview as well. Mainly take Wren, Willshire, Ohio City, and Chatt kids into a school, but then you'd have Van Wert dropping down, Parkway, Crestview towards D7 or 8 man, and Lincolnview hampered in most sports. That is unless the Chicago move-ins keep spreading east. They've hit the neighboring areas in Indiana already and Illinois is paying them to come to this area.
Hadn't heard of the Chicago move-ins coming into Indiana.

As for the NWC, you are correct about travel time. Travelling to Ada or Allen East on a weeknight is a burden. That said, Crestview is also closer to many WBL and MAC schools than we are in our own conference. We are a long time staple of the conference so I don't see it ever disbanding or us leaving but you bring up some intriguing "dreams" of what could be good for the districts. However, being a lifer in the Crestview district, I can tell you this. Our history (Crestview North and South) is very very long. Take some time to stop in the hallways outside the Superintendents office the next time you are in the school. You will see pictures of the familiar area names from way back in the early 1900s at each school. It wasn't until the 90s when we were consolidated into one school.

The best thing about the NWC is definitely not the travel, but when you compare it to the distances that some other leagues have to travel for conference games, I'd say we're about average compared to most leagues. The NWC isn't going anywhere. The conference as a whole is stable year in and year out, the schools in it have built up several good rivalries, and as far as small school NW/Western Ohio leagues go, the NWC's schools and facilities are nearly unbeatable. Visit a few BVC or NWCC schools and you'll see how good the NWC has it and see why no team is in any hurry to leave.

Even if Paulding does leave, it's not like they haven't been competitive in sports other than football in recent history. Even their football team has been right in the middle the past 2 years. I personally hope they don't leave, but i can't do anything about that. What I do know is that with other leagues constantly shifting and breaking up, especially when it comes to the possibility of 8 man football, the best thing that the NWC could do is look to add a few new members that are outsiders in their current conferences and make sure that the league doesn't run into some of those same struggles.

As for the NWC, you are correct about travel time. Travelling to Ada or Allen East on a weeknight is a burden. That said, Crestview is also closer to many WBL and MAC schools than we are in our own conference. We are a long time staple of the conference so I don't see it ever disbanding or us leaving but you bring up some intriguing "dreams" of what could be good for the districts. However, being a lifer in the Crestview district, I can tell you this. Our history (Crestview North and South) is very very long. Take some time to stop in the hallways outside the Superintendents office the next time you are in the school. You will see pictures of the familiar area names from way back in the early 1900s at each school. It wasn't until the 90s when we were consolidated into one school.

Hell, not that I'm insinuating anything, but travel wise Crestview is almost closer to the GMC schools than some of the NWC. Lol.

I mean, Edgerton and Tinora are similar to Ada and Bluffton.

It hasn't been positive except for the business man who made the deal. They aren't sending top of the line. Basically the low income apartments near Bellmont HS in Decatur has been the main refuge. The owner of that complex and other real estate is the only one seeing positive results ($$ only). This has caused some of the rural folks north of Decatur in the Bellmont district to send their kids to AC, SA, possibly Heritage, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Crestview if they live near the line anywhere north of 600 N in Adams County. I was told that these new residents are paid by the state of Illinois or the city of Chicago to move as it is cheaper than trying to keep them.

As for the consolidation part, how it was accomplished is mind boggling in a geographical since, especially for Willshire Township. Those in Wren and down to Ohio City-Willshire Rd are in Crestview (those on that road are given a 1x choice I believe to choose between Parkway or Crestview). Meanwhile in the same township, Willshire in Van Wert County is Parkway and send their kids to Rockford in Mercer County (I know you know this but stating for others). Yes 118 connects Van Wert to Ohio City, but Ohio City has more in common with Wren and Willshire. In fact, I believe part of Liberty township south of Ohio City in Van Wert County is considered Parkway as well instead of Van Wert's district.

As for the consolidation part, how it was accomplished is mind boggling in a geographical since, especially for Willshire Township. Those in Wren and down to Ohio City-Willshire Rd are in Crestview (those on that road are given a 1x choice I believe to choose between Parkway or Crestview). Meanwhile in the same township, Willshire in Van Wert County is Parkway and send their kids to Rockford in Mercer County (I know you know this but stating for others). Yes 118 connects Van Wert to Ohio City, but Ohio City has more in common with Wren and Willshire. In fact, I believe part of Liberty township south of Ohio City in Van Wert County is considered Parkway as well instead of Van Wert's district.
I wonder what would've happened if Willshire, Wren, Ohio City, Elgin, and Venedocia all consolidated into one district. Would that district still be around? I like to think so. According to this district map, it looks like All of liberty twp is Van Wert district.

I wonder what would've happened if Willshire, Wren, Ohio City, Elgin, and Venedocia all consolidated into one district. Would that district still be around? I like to think so. According to this district map, it looks like All of liberty twp is Van Wert district.

View attachment 5685

Finally found the map I was looking for and yes all of Liberty is Van Wert district. Probably just a few families deciding to take kids to Parkway as I know some around Ohio City choose Lincolnview. I would have been alright with the proposed district you had. Basically not a fan of Convoy or Rockford and hate that's where the schools are. Yours would have made more sense with the school in or around Ohio City. My preference would be to leave Elgin & Venedocia out and just have a school near Glenmore or Schumm with Willshire, Wren, and Ohio City.