Central Ohio Job Openings - DAVIDSON now open

Just a sad state of affairs at Grove City. In the 1990's they were probably the best Central Ohio D1 school and one of the better one's in the whole state. Now Grove City isn't even the best school in the Southwestern School District; I would say Grove City Central Crossing wins that distinction by default because of GC, Westland and Franklin Heights dysfunction and poor performance over the years. Something is wrong at the top at Grove City and has been for quite some time. Grove City will not get a quality coach like London's Coach Cutler as long as things remain the same in the Grove City hierarchy. It kind of reminds me of what's going on up in Cleveland with the Browns. It's too bad, Grove City was a great place to watch a game and I loved the toughness they played with but those days are 20 years ago.
I hate to be the one who points this out but Grove City is not a destination city for anyone. Executives who relocate to Columbus for jobs move to Dublin or Olentangy. Inner city families and/or families with high performing athletes move to Pickerington, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg or Groveport, definitely not Grove City. Like it or not, much like Lancaster, Grove City has a reputation for being anti-minority while at the same time not good enough for rich people. So they kind of get what they got which is a very good marching band. Lastly, their parents are also an issue. Flying a plane over the football field with a banner that reads "Fire Coach So and So" is not a good look for prospective coaches. Finding a legit coaching staff that is willing to play Johnny Jr. at QB because Johnny Sr. was a star back in the 80s is also going to be an issue. Evolve or Dissolve!

Read the account in the local paper and as usual he cites family reasons. Not saying this doesn't play into these types of decisions mind you. I will say that it is used and sometimes the coach gets another job before too long . Schoony " says he is taking at least a year away from the sidelines .

Davidson likely just stays with an inhouse guy. Some Davidson faithful I know probably want a new start and not go with this system into another decade or two but it is very unique and I don't think most people look long term in these type of situations and just want things to stay the same in the short term. I mean UA changed dramatically with their hire going from a multiple balanced offense to run only { Pass less than 6-7 times a game and sometimes not at all is my description of that} . I don't expect Davidson to get a guy who has run a more modern offense . Schoony was a big run guy with GPM , so I took a pause after he stepped down but the applications were closed and Schoony said he's taking a year off .
Agreed about staying in house. The Davidson district does NOT have the talent level to hire a couch to run a spread type of offense. If they do, they will be a perennial win 2 games a year program. I do not see that happening and would think those hiring a new coach realize that. The participation level has dropped. It's not an easy program to get through. The OL talent has gotten smaller and I doubt they could hold up consistently against a pass rush. Quite honestly to me it's refreshing to see a different offensive approach that gives you an edge over some more talented teams. Yeah OK, maybe throw it a little more in some situations. No biggie. Incomplete passes do not take time off the clock, allow the risk of less time consuming drives and keeps your defense well rested. There are always two sides to the equation to consider.

If Scally gets the job and very well could , it is an epic fail for UA . I mean everyone and their brother kind of knew White days may be numbered . The run had kind of run it's course and other factors made it likely he wouldn't be the coach much longer .

So I have to assume one of the questions posed to Scally during his UA interview was 'Hey say Coach White steps down in the next year or two , would you feel you would have to apply for that position ? If the answer was 'Yes" I would be very interested in that job, it should have been , 'Well Ok then thanks for coming in , 'Don't call us we'll call you .

What was Scally thinking exactly? The old 'where do you see yourself in five years question wasn't asked? lol . 'Well I really hope to have a chance for the Davidson job , but I probably won't be the choice so I''ll probably be here "? Of course Scally goes to UA who hasn't beaten Davidson since before Pebbles Flintstone was born , but turns the trick in year one? White steps down and . voila , hmm that guy we had for over a decade left to go across the river and took that team who hadn't beaten us since the Truman Administration and gets it done in his first try? 'We need to get that guy back here , we don't want them beating us on a regular basis do we?

This script would be rejected by even a cheap sitcom . Will we be hearing the proverbial, 'We thank Scally for his service and win over Davidson, it was really a King Kong sized Gorilla on our back and we wish him well in his future endeveors ? In the words of the legendary Dick Enberg , " Oh My " .

Last edited:
It makes total sense of him going back to Davidson. Do UA and Davidson play each other next season, that would be interesting.

It makes total sense of him going back to Davidson. Do UA and Davidson play each other next season, that would be interesting.

Yes they will always play each other , Kind of a weird situation to say the least , but he hasn't been named yet. We'll see what happens but if so there goes any chance that they change the system at all. Some fans and parents may like that but some will be disappointed no question .

Yes they will always play each other , Kind of a weird situation to say the least , but he hasn't been named yet. We'll see what happens but if so there goes any chance that they change the system at all. Some fans and parents may like that but some will be disappointed no question .

I'm curious if UA leaking this info will change any kind of decision from Davidson. The article says "decisions haven't been made" and so on. Maybe they wanted to get this fodder out there for Davidson to back off. Then again as any good rivalry goes, you want to piss off the opponent as much as possible and hiring away their coach surely checks that box. Fans and parents have every right to be pissed. Can't recall any situation like this going down in Central Ohio at least since the mid-70s.

I honestly don't know of many fans or parents that will be disappointed in not changing the system.It's ingrained and with much success considering the talent level.Maybe those that are disgruntled are ticked off that their kids didn't play much or quit because they couldn't stick it out due to White being a hard a**. And to those that complained that their kids talent levels were not used correctly, transfer to another school where it will be,there are plenty of programs in Central Ohio that will accept them in this day and age of transfers. I have sat with or close to those who have felt that way and heard those grumblings during and after games over the years and it's mostly sour grapes and always after losses.Anyway, I had heard chatter that White was none too pleased that Scally left and took UA job. Not sure if that's 100 percent true or not. Maybe there were some hard feelings at the time and maybe all is forgiven now. Who really knows what is going on unless you know both know White and Scally and/or are intimately involved in this. It's also possible that the other coaches on the staff simply did not want the head coaching job and Scally did. If that's the case,it's a no brainer hire IMO.

Well the AD at UA i believe is still Tony Pu ( keeps spell checking so i'll leave it as his nickname) so that brings a lot of former Stallion Coaches in play possibly.
They got him out of retirement because they gave him a offer he couldn't refuse. So money isn't a issue with them.

Well the AD at UA i believe is still Tony Pu ( keeps spell checking so i'll leave it as his nickname) so that brings a lot of former Stallion Coaches in play possibly.
They got him out of retirement because they gave him a offer he couldn't refuse. So money isn't a issue with them.

That being said, who does UA turn to? Especially at this point. They may not have a hire in place until the end of February beginning of March. That's tough going for a school like UA.

That being said, who does UA turn to? Especially at this point. They may not have a hire in place until the end of February beginning of March. That's tough going for a school like UA.
That probably takes most current "bigger school (D1-3)" head coaches out of play. I'm thinking potentially current private school HC's or rural school HC's that have had some recent success. I don't know if Tony P is going to go after another veteran assistant after being burned on this one.

To me UA is an ehhh job....they think pretty highly of themselves over there yet aren’t all that relevant. I don’t know, I wouldn’t want to deal with the extra BS.

wish I was shocked that Davidson parents are not happy with the style of offense. guess numerous playoff appearances and state titles does not make the millenial parents happy how their little superstar is being used.

Both Grove City and UA were excellent programs 20 years ago but both are more concerned with that history than taking a honest look at how their programs are being run from top to bottom.

To me UA is an ehhh job....they think pretty highly of themselves over there yet aren’t all that relevant. I don’t know, I wouldn’t want to deal with the extra BS.

Agree and I believe they are getting into a very difficult OCC division. Any word on candidates?

Any intel on Groveport or UA? It'll be March before ya know it, going to be pretty hard to field a staff this late in the game assuming there aren't a lot of hold overs from previous staffs.

Any word on who got the UA job or is it still not filled?

If still open, I wouldn't be surprised to see former Tri-Valley head coach (and current Granville HC) Justin Buttermore end up at UA.

Any update on Upper Arlington... I have heard they have reopened it multiple times because everyone keeps turning them down.

Why's everyone turning it down? Evenmore why are they applying if they'll ultimately be turning it down anyway?

Homerun for UA....not so sure for Buttermore. High expectations, brutal division, brutal region. It has to be a money thing. To me Granville was a pretty nice setup and they just redid the stadium with turf. It will be interesting to see if UA can handle a guy like Buttermore. He's not a guy that sugarcoats anything. And UA certainly isn't Dresden.

Homerun for UA....not so sure for Buttermore. High expectations, brutal division, brutal region. It has to be a money thing. To me Granville was a pretty nice setup and they just redid the stadium with turf. It will be interesting to see if UA can handle a guy like Buttermore. He's not a guy that sugarcoats anything. And UA certainly isn't Dresden.

Congrats great hire

Not at all criticizing Justin Buttermore making a choice he believes best for him and his family, but man Granville is in a tough spot now aren’t they? Uh... would they just promote an assistant already in the district? Who from the outside makes any sense? Ryan Aiello at Newark Catholic?

Not at all criticizing Justin Buttermore making a choice he believes best for him and his family, but man Granville is in a tough spot now aren’t they? Uh... would they just promote an assistant already in the district? Who from the outside makes any sense? Ryan Aiello at Newark Catholic?

my guess is they’ll be lined up for this job, even this late in the game

Granville is a tough spot with limited amount of kids and from seeing their roster and from hearing what is coming up from the younger ages there isn't much to look forward to. The sophomore group is very solid with a lot of nice players.

Granville is a tough spot with limited amount of kids and from seeing their roster and from hearing what is coming up from the younger ages there isn't much to look forward to. The sophomore group is very solid with a lot of nice players.
In addition, Buttermore likes to rebuild programs. That's part of his MO. UA needs rebuilt to compete in the OCC. Bottom line for Buttermore, UA is more Central Ohio, more money, and Division 1. Too good to pass up.