2019 OHSAA State Championship Games Attendance X-Factors

Since PA titles are a topic on this thread...

Southern Columbia led 55-7 at the half over Avonworth. Leads 68-7 near the end of the third.

Since PA titles are a topic on this thread...

Southern Columbia led 55-7 at the half over Avonworth. Leads 68-7 near the end of the third.
Final score : 74-7.

Southern Columbia wins their tenth title in dominating fashion. Most points in a state title game. Most points in a season.

9 turnovers by Avonworth. 6 interceptions. 3 returned for touchdowns. 1 fumble returned for a TD. Two kickoff returns called back for penalties. Unbelievable domination.

5050 listed as attendance for the 2A game. Beautiful weather and a new team helped.

Why we no longer attend:

1. Weather. It could be 60 degrees or it could be 10 degrees and snowing. As a couple in their early 60s who used to attend championship weekend religiously--this a major factor.
2. Location. Being from the Toledo/Fremont area, nothing about Canton excites me. Been to the HOF, ate at their restaurants, etc. I don't know where to have it. Ideally if Ohio had some place with a dome in the Marion area, you would sell many more tickets. Not happening so let the location discussion continue.
3. This year especially, unfamiliar teams--we used to go and love the watch the Moellers, Coldwaters, Iggys,, and others. It is good for HS football to see new names, but it does NOT help with attendance from fans from other districts.
4. THIS:

Tickets

Fans are encouraged to buy their playoff tickets in advance online at www.ProFootballHOF.com/tickets, as the participating schools keep a portion of presale ticket revenue. For state championship games, tickets are $11 online in advance through a participating school, or $15 if not associated with a school, or $17 at the gate.
I am not going to pay for advance tickets to a HS football game in December (again, the weather) so forced to pay $17 at the gate.

We are going to the BGSU/Oakland men's basketball game tomorrow. Paid $30 for 2 tickets for a Div.I basketball game and the OHSAA wants me to pay $17 to possibly sit in the rain for a game in which I don't know the team's nicknames

Just my thoughts. Let all the haters chime in.
BGSU vs. Oakland just screams Division 1 Basketball.

D III title game (Mansfield Sr vs Trotwood-Madison) 5,700 attendance - lowest in past four seasons
PA had their 2A game listed as 5050 for attendance.

1A 950
2A 5050
3A tomorrow afternoon
4A 3463
5A 2690
6A tomorrow night

Most of that 2A crowd were Southern Columbia fans there to see their team win their tenth state title. Avonworth had a small crowd. 225 mile trip for them. Southern Columbia had a 68mi trip.

Edit : added the 5A crowd. Archbishop Wood basically brought a student section and nobody else. Cheltenham surprised me with a much bigger crowd for an inner ring suburban Philadelphia school. Ohio equivalent would be like a Maple Heights making it. Both schools are only 14 miles apart but each had to drive over 90 miles.

For the game itself, Archbishop Wood led 12-0 and then trailed 15-12 in the 4th. Archbishop Wood went for a 3 yard pass with 6 seconds left to win it 19-15.

Last edited:
For just NEO people. NWO, SWO, SEO, and Central Ohio people want it in Columbus
If your former team is in the title game or it is your sons or grandsons team why would you even think about how far it is to go ?? Who cares. Change it every 5 years.

For attendance to be down from last year on Thursday to this year on Thursday was purely based on last year was Hoban vs. Massillon and this year was LaSalle vs. Massillon. Common sense says 1 team being from Cincy this year compared to last year and 2 teams both with in minutes from Canton would make a huge difference.

Final score : 74-7.

Southern Columbia wins their tenth title in dominating fashion. Most points in a state title game. Most points in a season.

9 turnovers by Avonworth. 6 interceptions. 3 returned for touchdowns. 1 fumble returned for a TD. Two kickoff returns called back for penalties. Unbelievable domination.

5050 listed as attendance for the 2A game. Beautiful weather and a new team helped.
Southern Columbia also has a 4 or 5 star WR committed to Ohio State. All the Puke Eyes should love that.

Fleming. And yes. Ohio State fans would be happy.

Did you see that St. Joes' Prep won in OT last week vs. Pitts. Cent. Catholic? That was a stunning score. I thought for sure SJP would roll PCC.

Last edited:
Did you see that St. Joes' Prep won on OT last week vs. Pitts. Cent. Catholic? That was a stunning score. I thought for sure SJP would roll PCC.
Yeah. I didn't expect overtime out of that one. But SJP should crush Central Dauphin.

Yeah. I didn't expect overtime out of that one. But SJP should crush Central Dauphin.

I agree. But aren't they scoring like 60 points a game? Actually I just looked them up. I did see they only beat Harrisburg by 7. Hoban rolled Harrisburg and SJP is every bit Hoban.

Division 1 title game, crowd is terrible. Guess t.v. and another tuition paying school are factors. Looks like lots of people are staying away. I think in percentage, D. 7 and 6 tomorrow may bring more fans.

Division 1 title game, crowd is terrible. Guess t.v. and another tuition paying school are factors. Looks like lots of people are staying away. I think in percentage, D. 7 and 6 tomorrow may bring more fans.

Pickerington fans not used to leaving Columbus?

I can't imagine anyone saying they are not associated with one of the schools and paying $15 online.

NEO just whine's so loud. Everyone I've met in person thinks it's stupid to have in Canton

First of all it sounds like you're doing the whining. And maybe you should actually talk to different people, like some decision makers.

This all is irrelevant. It shouldnt be news to anyone that attendance has declined overall, not just playoffs and championships, in the last few years. Many factors, declining participation unfortunately, and a population that is becoming too soft to sit in some ohio weather.

This was very noticeable in past years when we played Mentor in regular season far from capacity crowds, and especially in playoffs when seats still available are Bedford.

I absolutely love college and high school sports compared to pro sports, just more exciting. Just a large portion of the populace is moving away from the same.

Marion Local has been to 14 state championship games been to 11 of them, did not go today. Why ? 3.5 drive with out stopping but at 60 years old, I would be stopping on the way their and on the way home so 4 hr. drive their and back, 8 hrs. all together. Do believe Snodgrass does care about the fans and would like the games in Cbus ( would have went 1.5 hr. drive ) but Cbus apparently does not want the games. Wish the games were centrally located but it is what is.

Alright so here is my opinion as a long time supporter of Elder who has one of the largest fan bases in the state. While I think the nostalgic part of having the games in Canton and kids getting to tour the hall of fame is very cool, in today’s world with the Ohsaa streaming options and people’s lives being so hectic you just are not going to get many fans outside of parents and students to drive 3 and a half hours plus get a hotel room for these games. I could not make it due to a prior commitment last night but let me tell you thousands of Elder fans were at viewing parties at about half a dozen sports bars on the west side. They got to enjoy the game, not take a day off from work and at the end of the night sleep in their own beds.

With Northeast Ohio proclaiming to have the best fans and the games in their backyard, the low, low attendance numbers are a shock. Since they seem to have zero problems with the way the OHSAA does things.