Division I - Region 1 Championship: Mentor (12-0) vs. St. Edward (11-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-14

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • St. Edward by 15+

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Congratulations Mentor and Triv.
Well designed play for the 2 points and the win.
Now go get that state championship
That was the exact same play Triv ran to beat St. Ignatius in 3 overtimes to win 57-56 in 2012. Except Trubisky rolled to his left and found Fritts wide open in the left corner. Knew he would try the same with Kipp and Floreia except he rolled right.

St. Edward did not do themselves any favors by going for the first down on fourth down at the 50-yard line in the first half. St. Edward was in control and that was a costly mistake when they were in control and could have pinned Mentor deep. The risk was simply too big because even if they convert, there is no guarantee that they score.

Question is, did Mentor really cross the goal line on the TD? Discuss. :unsure:?;)

It was very close. I thought he did live, but on replay, I don’t know. Needed a down the line angle. Either way it was a matter of inches.

2003 Mentor vs Ed’s I did have a down the goal line view and Mentor was in by over a yard.

I can’t believe Mentor won that game. Seemed dead in the water. I thought Mentor would run the ball a lot better and I didn’t think Ed’s would have as much success passing. I knew they’d run it well.

Triv should have applied the same logic to the state championship game in 2007 and Mentor probably wins that on a 2 point conversion. If it went 2OT, we likely see Ed’s win on a 2 point conversion.

That was an amazing play design on the 2 point conversion. I don’t know how you defend that. Ed’s did as well as you could...you just can’t defend all that action. Crazy second half.

St. Edward did not do themselves any favors by going for the first down on fourth down at the 50-yard line in the first half. St. Edward was in control and that was a costly mistake when they were in control and could have pinned Mentor deep. The risk was simply too big because even if they convert, there is no guarantee that they score.

I felt that was a huge turning point as well. Completely unnecessary at that point. Lombo will be thinking about that for a while. Credit to Mentor for battling back in a game that felt like Ed's was in control the whole time....until they weren't. Formani fumble on the one, drop by Wainright on the deep ball that could have iced the game in regulation,...ugh. Floriea was incredible. Could not cover the kid. Excellent play call on the 2-point conversion. Another classic for the books. Good luck rest of the way guys.

That was the exact same play Triv ran to beat St. Ignatius in 3 overtimes to win 57-56 in 2012. Except Trubisky rolled to his left and found Fritts wide open in the left corner. Knew he would try the same with Kipp and Floreia except he rolled right.
I was expecting it too, and 2012 still hurts. Damn you Trubisky!

There was no doubt Triv wasn't going out with a wimper. When Mentor had the ball 2nd in OT, he was going for 2...win or lose. After the 2006 2OT finals vs Hilliard Davidson, Triv learned that when you have a shot to end it, take the shot. What a 2nd half battle to fight back from down 21-7. Ed's has a great team...they were running the ball at will, Mentor couldn't stop them on 3rd down in the first half. Ed's dominated the line of scrimmage early. Luke Floriea was a one man gang among the WRs, the kid is incredible. Was so tired of so-called Mentor fans not giving them a chance in this game. Some "fans" can't wait to place blame. Nice to see Ed's fans gracious in defeat and not making excuses...total class. Time to avenge the 2017 Pick Central loss...GO CARDS!

As a former recruiter for the Navy in the late 80’s I did stints in Mentor and Chardon. I’ve followed both teams ever since. Was hoping the Toppers could’ve also pulled it out tonight.
Huge win tonight for the Cards. Would love to see them finish it out as state champs!
Best of luck Mentor ???

It really looked like the officials blew that 4th down call. I don't see how the Mentor QB got in. It really looked like the official assumed the guy was going in and called it too early. I watched it 5x and I don't see when the ball ever would have broken.

#2 for Eds won't get the credit for the stop, but that was an amazing defensive play. Too bad.

From the stands (and through the video board replay), I'm well aware of some of the calls that were not liked by the St Edward faithful. Maybe there were even a couple of calls that are downright wrong when viewed by unbiased people. Either way, I'm not going to expend too much energy on that. Instead, I'm just super excited for this amazing victory. Mentor took advantage of their opportunities when it mattered most. St Eds was the better team tonight, but the better team doesn't always win. I can't believe Mentor came back from the dead to snatch away a victory. Great finish and this will go down as one of, if not THE best, wins in Triv's career. Maybe I'm recency biased. But I would rank this right up there with the McKinley state semifinal win (2006) and Ignatius regional final (2012).

It really looked like the officials blew that 4th down call. I don't see how the Mentor QB got in. It really looked like the official assumed the guy was going in and called it too early. I watched it 5x and I don't see when the ball ever would have broken.

#2 for Eds won't get the credit for the stop, but that was an amazing defensive play. Too bad.
I just posted my comments on the same thing, and totally agree. The ball never crossed. It was clearly short! I also mentioned the 4th down stop which went back and forth and was reversed even after the measurement. Was totally confused, as they did a measurement showed it was short, Triv gets upset pointed something out which made the refs reverse the call. There also was many holding plays which were not being called on St. Eds until towards the end of the game. Not a very well ref'ed game considering what was at stake for this game.

Last edited:
From the stands (and through the video board replay), I'm well aware of some of the calls that were not liked by the St Edward faithful. Maybe there were even a couple of calls that are downright wrong when viewed by unbiased people. Either way, I'm not going to expend too much energy on that. Instead, I'm just super excited for this amazing victory. Mentor took advantage of their opportunities when it mattered most. St Eds was the better team tonight, but the better team doesn't always win. I can't believe Mentor came back from the dead to snatch away a victory. Great finish and this will go down as one of, if not THE best, wins in Triv's career. Maybe I'm recency biased. But I would rank this right up there with the McKinley state semifinal win (2006) and Ignatius regional final (2012).
Totally agree, St. Eds CLEARLY was the better team tonight without a doubt. Mentor was outplayed pretty much for 3/4 of this game. It's sad that referees did not convene on some of the plays which had some issues to make the correct ruling, including a lot of holding which I saw by St. Eds that was not being called, but I'll take it as a Mentor fan that it went are way and we move on with another win.

That final score is some sneaky irony for EagleFan (36-35 OT / 34-33 3OT). Maybe he’ll stop doing it now...or, better yet, maybe he’ll change it to 36-35 OT when making a prediction going forward. :D

Regardless, the team I wanted got the win. Keep it going Cardinals. Bring that trophy home for your coach. What a legendary finish that would make.

I disagree. I saw it a couple of times on the news, and he looked like he broke the plain from the angles I saw. It looked like half his body got in.

Yeah, I wanted Mentor to win but that was an amazing defensive stand by Eds that they just didn't get credit for. It really looked like the official assumed the TD and then it was too late for him to just take it back.

Will the semifinal game be played at Arlin? I ask because Mansfield is still alive and will be playing next Friday (reportedly at Nordonia). If not Mansfield, is it a forgone conclusion that the game remains somewhere on the 71 corridor, or does it get shifted to the 77 corridor to take advantage of the fact that PC can hop on 70 and travel up 77 relatively easily?

I disagree. I saw it a couple of times on the news, and he looked like he broke the plain from the angles I saw. It looked like half his body got in.

Half the body did get in...just not the part with the football. I slowed it down and paused it over and over and I just don't see a single moment when it was even possible for the ball to have crossed. #2 from Eds made a fantastic defensive play.

I thought he broke it as well. Even if he didn't eds fans have no right to complain after Mentor was hosed in 03 after obviously getting in. Most if not all have been gracious with the defeat

Going for 2 corrected Triv's past mistake against Davidson. Eds definitely goes for 2 in the second OT if needed and we weren't going to stop Formani

Now it's on to try to avenge the ,2017 title game and then hopefully finally win the title. Gonna need 2 complete games to win and I'm gonna try to enjoy the ride without getting too nervous. Go Cards!!

I found a good view on youtube and paused it every part of the play, and when he broke the plain, I had it stopped and he was well in the end zone by half of his body. I had him paused right over the goal line with the ball. It was the video from WKYC that clearly showed the he got it. Plus, the ref that called the TD was on the line. No controversy here. The play happened so quickly that of you don't pause it the whole way you will miss it.

I found a good view on youtube and paused it every part of the play, and when he broke the plain, I had it stopped and he was well in the end zone by half of his body. I had him paused right over the goal line with the ball. It was the video from WKYC that clearly showed the he got it. Plus, the ref that called the TD was on the line. No controversy here. The play happened so quickly that of you don't pause it the whole way you will miss it.

People saying he didn't get in are looking at the replay from the end zone, which is a terrible angle to tell whether or not the ball crossed the goal line. I don't know what the refs were looking at on the 4th down measurement at midfield, the camera looking down the line of scrimmage clearly showed that Eds was a good foot short.

What did happen on that 4th down stop by Mentor? I thought Eds had it, but the spot was not great for the good guys so Mentor got the stop. No biggie, but then they change it and then change it back???

Wow! What an ending! Triv's gutsy call and it's execution is the stuff of legends! I thought St. Edward was going to win for most of the game, and that maybe Mentor didn't get in, but you have to to be good and you often times have to be lucky, too, to win the D1 title. Great heart and determination by his kids with a little rub of the green and now I think it is destiny that Triv will go on to get his ring in his final year. Good luck Mentor!

Always, always keep the faith!

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Body definitely didn't finish in the endzone, but I thought he broke the plane on the initial jump and then was knocked sideways. The "game of inches" adage certainly rang true throughout this ballgame.

What did happen on that 4th down stop by Mentor? I thought Eds had it, but the spot was not great for the good guys so Mentor got the stop. No biggie, but then they change it and then change it back???

Side judge closest to the action seemed to run in right at the marker. Far judge ran in short. They signal Mentor ball without even measuring. Then Lombo demanded a measurement from where they had it spotted at that point and it was a first. Then they reverse it. Would love to hear the explanation from the ref to Lombo. Whatever the correct call was, they really bungled the whole thing.

For those watching at home, I'd like to know if that Mentor receiver fumbled down near the goal line. Ref called him down, but the replay on the jumbotron looked like that ball popped loose.

This is a good take. There were some very unconvincing calls and very few people outside of the St. Ed's community will feel bad for the Eagles. Mentor hung in there and made plays when they had to. I do hope they win states, them as a program and Triv certainly have paid their dues. HS refereeing is difficult and it did not help that at Byers you could see replays in the moment almost every play. I do hope OHSAA looks at how some of these plays were called. As a football player and fan, I haven't seen them measure and then re-measure to overturn their original call without the benefit of a replay booth or something. It always stings to lose, but tonight it felt like there were a number of 50/50 calls that all went against St. Ed's which hurts a bit more. We played well, Mentor made their good play count when they had to.

I have no dog in this fight, but watched the game on spectrum. In real-time the camera angle was behind the QB and he looked as if he scored. However on replay which was right on the line, I don’t see how he got in. He leaped and got hit at 1/2 yard line and body immediately reversed course and never made it in.