2019 GCL Coed

Any D3 or D4 team that wins the GCL Coed and 2 of 3 ooc games will make the playoffs. In the playoffs, you’re not ducking anyone.

So Alter’s goals include winning 2 or 3 out of conference games and win the GCL Coed. Next, win the first playoff game. Then, win the second playoff game. Then, win the third playoff game and be regional champs. Then win the state semi game and get into the state final. Then, win the state final.

It has never been Alter’s goal to have conflicting goals. That would not teach kids about life. Playing all playoff level teams and win some/lose some or higher division teams and injuring a shallow roster and jeopardizing GCL game wins conflicts with Alter’s stated goals.

Playing the most difficult schedule and missing the playoffs may be a matter of pride, but it doesn’t make sense in the current playoff/CBP scheme.

Alter’s kids get great modeling for life choices. It has nothing to do with “ducking” anyone. It is all about focusing on acheiving goals.

One other point. Public schools, through CBP, have bumped privates up a division almost across the board. Then some public schools “duck” privates during the season, get into the playoffs and are surprised when they lose. I give a great “thumbs up” to Ponitz for scheduling tough teams. They have different goals than Alter.

I agree, Alter should schedule based on what’s best for them. Not an exact quote, but did say in the pulse journal, they did not want to play the best two teams in the Columbus Catholic league. So they want to schedule someone they feel they have a better chance to beat. That is “ducking” someone in my mind. That is how Michigan was portrayed when they quit playing Notre Dame.

Like others I don't agree with the Alter decision to only play the one game against CCL competition this year. But even though I believe that all the teams involved from both conferences benefited from the competition and experience and will only make them better. The CCL was 5-2 this year head to head with the 4 GCLC Dayton teams but look for the gap to close as this continues forward.
Even Alter learned a lot about their team in that last minute loss to DeSales that they never would have got if they had scheduled another back marker instead, and will help them during their playoff run later this fall. Just my opinion.

Like others I don't agree with the Alter decision to only play the one game against CCL competition this year. But even though I believe that all the teams involved from both conferences benefited from the competition and experience and will only make them better. The CCL was 5-2 this year head to head with the 4 GCLC Dayton teams but look for the gap to close as this continues forward.
Even Alter learned a lot about their team in that last minute loss to DeSales that they never would have got if they had scheduled another back marker instead, and will help them during their playoff run later this fall. Just my opinion.

Alter is going to need to start signing up for games soon because Week 2, Week 3, and Week 5 will need to be replaced in the next year or two. A coach on the staff told me that Reynoldsburg and Aurora are interested in playing the Knights. These would be much better matchups than playing DPS

CJ vs Carroll: ...CJ lost their #1 RB last week in a convincing "upset" beat down of a highly regarded Watterson team. Carroll gets their #1 RB, QB, and Off tackles back this week after getting blasted by a St. Charles team that was shut out by Fenwick the week before...Heard some chatter that Carroll seems to think they will have CJ's number at home with their full team back, and CJ down a starting RB...CJ has good depth at RB, so I'm not convinced it will be a problem...Carroll has got to be feeling some pressure though, they lose this game and any chance they have at going to the playoffs is probably finished...(for a while as they graduate 20 Seniors)...still, I'm going CJ by 14.

CJ vs Carroll: ...CJ lost their #1 RB last week in a convincing "upset" beat down of a highly regarded Watterson team. Carroll gets their #1 RB, QB, and Off tackles back this week after getting blasted by a St. Charles team that was shut out by Fenwick the week before...Heard some chatter that Carroll seems to think they will have CJ's number at home with their full team back, and CJ down a starting RB...CJ has good depth at RB, so I'm not convinced it will be a problem...Carroll has got to be feeling some pressure though, they lose this game and any chance they have at going to the playoffs is probably finished...(for a while as they graduate 20 Seniors)...still, I'm going CJ by 14.

How bad is the RB hurt and which one was it? The better one (and bigger of the two) is considered one of the best in Ohio. That would be a huge loss.

I think Domsitz has always selectively scheduled. When he expects to be really good he will add a challenge or two, otherwise he’s pretty careful. Certainly his prerogative. Still a great coach. They all play the game to get into the playoffs.

How bad is the RB hurt and which one was it? The better one (and bigger of the two) is considered one of the best in Ohio. That would be a huge loss.
Marquis Henry went down with a knee...not sure how serious...I Hope it’s not as he is a tremendous talent ...though Faster I’m not sure he’s bigger than Quincy who’s been splitting reps and is a beast in his own right...and Marquis’ twin Brother is a load too and very capable...Of all the positions on the field I would say RB is where CJ is deepest...

I was under the impression that Carroll's injuries including Fox's were longer than just a couple games? I was thinking this was going to be a better game than usual based on the Desales score before I heard about the injuries.

Big game for the Knights on Friday. Badin always plays physical and draws a strong crowd for this matchup.

^ Alter should win this game, but I remember the 2010 game when Alter needed a Dimario FG to beat Badin 10-7.
I would expect the Badin players to play tough especially at home.

That was the same year Alter advanced to the State Semi finals losing to Hartley 29-28.

Yeah... I think the Knights can take this one especially since this kid is Badin's quarterback.View attachment 3889

I have respect for Badin's coaching staff and their kids for always playing hard and being prepared for their games especially vs Alter. Their QB however is an arrogant punk who runs his mouth and always tries to start something. Maybe he will have a career night vs Alter, and if he does, I will tip my hat.

I have respect for Badin's coaching staff and their kids for always playing hard and being prepared for their games especially vs Alter. Their QB however is an arrogant punk who runs his mouth and always tries to start something. Maybe he will have a career night vs Alter, and if he does, I will tip my hat.
Relax Old Knight Shade. He is a 17-18 yr old KID, and I’m presuming you are an ADULT. I think it would be appropriate to keep your personnel opinion of KIDS to yourself. You wouldn’t have happened to have been at a St Susanna volleyball match this weekend? Kinda remind me of somebody I read about this week with all the vitrol

What’s the name of the Uncle in Napoleon Dynamite? Uncle Reno or Stevo? Someone help me out. That’s the nickname I’ll bestow upon Old Knight Shade from here on out

What’s the name of the Uncle in Napoleon Dynamite? Uncle Reno or Stevo? Someone help me out. That’s the nickname I’ll bestow upon Old Knight Shade from here on out

Uncle Rico lol and you're right keep the comments about personal dislikes regarding players out of the conversation. Not necessary.

I know several Badin insiders and I've been to several games in the past two years, including the playoff against Alter last year at Middletown and I've never seen or heard any of that. Everything I've heard is he's a great kid. He's a ginger so I'm sure he can get a little fired up, but a mouthy punk might be pushing it.

I know several Badin insiders and I've been to several games in the past two years, including the playoff against Alter last year at Middletown and I've never seen or heard any of that. Everything I've heard is he's a great kid. He's a ginger so I'm sure he can get a little fired up, but a mouthy punk might be pushing it.

After Badin lost in the regular season last year he mouthed off in the post game line and to Domsitz about getting back at them in the playoffs (which he didn't)...

After Badin lost in the regular season last year he mouthed off in the post game line and to Domsitz about getting back at them in the playoffs (which he didn't)...

Yes this did happen and yes 17/18 year olds are not always mature and can say things in the heat of the moment. I've seen several basketball games including the tournament last year and Switzer does get too fired up at times and it caused some technicals/momentum swings for the opposite team. He's a good athlete and plays hard, but I can understand how he rubs people the wrong way.

I get it Uncle Rico, but in my opinion that is something that should and probably was handled by coaches/parents. I think honest or opinionated assessments like America saying he can get too fired up or (just making this up, I've never seen it posted on him or anyone else) doesn't throw the deep ball well are okay. I don't think attacking the character or whatever you want to call it of a high school kid, true or not true, is appropriate in a public forum. I'll admit I'm probably too close situation with a son playing baseball at Badin, a nephew on the Fenwick football team, and another son trying to decide between X, Moeller, and Badin. I've seen each do stupid, regrettable stuff on the athletic fields and in life that I hope they have learned from, but I hope some adult would not feel the need to rip into him in a public forum. Just my opinion

^ Totally agree. Every program in the GCLC could probably admit that they have had players over the years that have pushed the boundaries, stir the pot......... Just play the game and it will get sorted out.

Let's be honest here. The winner of the GCL will be the winner of the week 10 Alter v. CJ game.

Does anyone want to talk about football?

Badin gave Alter their closest Co-ed games last year. Does that matter this year? Alter lost a huge senior class - Badin has opened up their offense.
Badin's defense held Kiner to 46 yards on 16 carries (36 came on 1 td run). Can they stop Alter's triple option attack?
Badin has more passing yards through 5 games than all of last year - can they throw on Alter? While Bazelak was certainly a star I think this years Alter QB fits more into the traditional Alter running attack.

Carroll - CJ. This was a high scoring affair last year 46-30 at end of 3 and then CJ ran away with it in the fourth in the last game that they had their transfers. If Carroll is without QB and RB I would have to think this will get ugly quickly.

Mcnick - Fenwick. Mcnick seems to have improved from the awful 1-9 team last year. Fenwick seems up and down - hung with traditional powerhouse Massie and then got absolutely blitzed by Desales last week.

Expecting the weather to break tonight and temps tomorrow only in the 70's. Should be a fantastic night weather wise.

Badin gave Alter their closest Co-ed games last year. Does that matter this year? Alter lost a huge senior class - Badin has opened up their offense.
Badin's defense held Kiner to 46 yards on 16 carries (36 came on 1 td run). Can they stop Alter's triple option attack?
Badin has more passing yards through 5 games than all of last year - can they throw on Alter? While Bazelak was certainly a star I think this years Alter QB fits more into the traditional Alter running attack.

Carroll - CJ. This was a high scoring affair last year 46-30 at end of 3 and then CJ ran away with it in the fourth in the last game that they had their transfers. If Carroll is without QB and RB I would have to think this will get ugly quickly.

Mcnick - Fenwick. Mcnick seems to have improved from the awful 1-9 team last year. Fenwick seems up and down - hung with traditional powerhouse Massie and then got absolutely blitzed by Desales last week.

Expecting the weather to break tonight and temps tomorrow only in the 70's. Should be a fantastic night weather wise.

Alter - Badin game pivotal for each team. Alter can win if they play clean ( no turnovers) however believe Badin has recovered from slow start and ready to win this game. Do not think Alter will have a tougher game till CJ. Bad feeling about this game, think Badin gets the win

A lot of terrific.put your pants on ,one leg at a time type comments regarding Badin. Don't recall the last time the Rams won one of these hard-hitting square offs..Close to 2 decades??

Your info on Carroll wrong. Their top RB is not going to play and when or if he does come back he will not be carrying the ball. He has multiple knee surgeries and another major knee injury this year. On top of that, their backup RB is probably not going to play either after getting injured last week. Not sure what your referring to with the Offensive Tackles, they have played every game. I assume your referring to their Center who has been out for the last 3 games. He will not play this week either. The QB may play, but I would not count on it. They also lost a starting linebacker with a torn ACL week 2. Carroll has been on a steady decline since a close loss to DeSales week 1. Lack of depth and inability to run the ball keeps their struggling Defense on the field. Hopefully they can get things turned around against a very good C-J team tomorrow.

Fenwick has a tough schedule this year, many guys going both ways. As for Fenwick game vs Massie, Massie let them hang around by putting the ball on the ground 3 time, penalties, missed field goals, drop TD pass in the end zone. Most don't know Massie QB was hurt in the last scrimmage game, and has not taken a snap to date. Fenwick is a very good program, but this year schedule is a gauntlet. Perspective from my side of the field

A lot of terrific.put your pants on ,one leg at a time type comments regarding Badin. Don't recall the last time the Rams won one of these hard-hitting square offs..Close to 2 decades??

It's been a while, maybe they're due. I'm not going to jump out there and say Badin will win, but I think they have a better than average chance. They didn't do well against the triple when they played Ross, but they shut one of the best backs in the city down a few weeks later. I think this is developed in to one of those kind of lopsided rivalries. Both teams get fired up for the game, but one side has been dominate. Maybe this is the year Yordy and the Rams come through.