President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland

Might need to run these numbers again chief. I don't think you'd only 7x your money over the course of 45 years in the market.
The DJIA in 1975 vs DJIA now is about 7x. If you go with an average of 6-7% interest per year it would be about 20x or $280 million. Either way, whether you go straight by DJIA or by a guestimated interest it is far less than $3 billion.

To be fair, I just looked up the annualized interest on an investment from Jan 1975 to Aug 2019. The annualized rate was 8.5%. So, given that, if Trump had done nothing but dump $14 million into the stock market and let it sit, he would have $500 million, still an order of magnitude less than $3 billion.

My point remains the correct, he had to have made a few good business decisions along the way.

Just saying.. I always pick Greenland when playing Risk.
I go for Australia first, only 1 spot to get attacked from and a quick/diry +2 army bonus each time.

Unfortunately my family now knows not to let me have Australia early while placing/claiming countries.

Trump doesn't owe you his taxes or financials to review. Not your business. Get over it already.

You do realize the point don't you. The man actually bragged about the size of his hands and held them up for all to see. But he wan't "show" you how much he is really worth....

I'm not saying he isn't rich, I would be to if my dad gave me a ton of money to start with.

You do realize the point don't you. The man actually bragged about the size of his hands and held them up for all to see. But he wan't "show" you how much he is really worth....

I'm not saying he isn't rich, I would be to if my dad gave me a ton of money to start with.
I do. The dems want something else to try to smear him with since they struck out on everything else.

You do realize you need more reason than you want to look around in his finances don't you?

I do. The dems want something else to try to smear him with since they struck out on everything else.

You do realize you need more reason than you want to look around in his finances don't you?

Completely....

Your surprised? When Congress was all republicans and Obama was in office the same crap happened. It's Political and this is nothing different than we have always had. Trump just whiles louder.

The DJIA in 1975 vs DJIA now is about 7x. If you go with an average of 6-7% interest per year it would be about 20x or $280 million. Either way, whether you go straight by DJIA or by a guestimated interest it is far less than $3 billion.

To be fair, I just looked up the annualized interest on an investment from Jan 1975 to Aug 2019. The annualized rate was 8.5%. So, given that, if Trump had done nothing but dump $14 million into the stock market and let it sit, he would have $500 million, still an order of magnitude less than $3 billion.

My point remains the correct, he had to have made a few good business decisions along the way.

Right, just correcting your initial "$14 million would only be $100 million" thing. That was way off.

And it also means depending on how you arrive at the initial starting # then we may be creeping closer and closer to $3 billion. For instance, Trump took over his father's real estate portfolio long before he died, then sold it off shortly after his passing. Was that factored in?

I think the better argument for Trump's savvy is his branding ability. He turned his family name into a household name, which is something only a handful of people per century accomplish. And for what it's worth is a far more transferable skill to politics. Hence why he's President and people with more traditional "business" success have never got close.

Trump tweeted that he's canceling his trip to Denmark in a few weeks due to the Danish PM indicating that she has zero interest in discussing a potential sale of Greenland.

Unbelievable.

Trump tweeted that he's canceling his trip to Denmark in a few weeks due to the Danish PM indicating that she has zero interest in discussing a potential sale of Greenland.

Unbelievable.
What else is there to talk to them about?

A 9 word reply is all that is needed from Denmark:

TO THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT

NUTS!

THE DANISH PRIME MINISTER

If this was Bush, we would invade Greenland and take all their resources

May as well just do this as opposed to insulting another country by continuously prospecting about purchasing territory that they have zero interest in selling. Denmark and Europe as a whole aren't doing chit if we just said screw it and invaded Greenland.

May as well tell Secretary Xi we're going to tariff all Chinese exports at 25% unless he's willing to discuss transferring us Hong Kong. That has about as good of a chance of happening as Denmark selling us Greenland.

We are still in Afghanistan to protect our 3 trillion dollars in natural resources. We have killed 6 million people since 9/11 for resources
Yeah because those planes flying into buildings was an accident.

Oh I get it, it was an inside job right.

May as well just do this as opposed to insulting another country by continuously prospecting about purchasing territory that they have zero interest in selling. Denmark and Europe as a whole aren't doing chit if we just said screw it and invaded Greenland.

May as well tell Secretary Xi we're going to tariff all Chinese exports at 25% unless he's willing to discuss transferring us Hong Kong. That has about as good of a chance of happening as Denmark selling us Greenland.
Everything has a price.

Overnight reaction from Danish leaders:
“An insult”
“Lacks even basic diplomatic skills”
“Please show more respect”
“An insult to the royal house”
“A spoiled child”
“Trump lives on another planet”
“Quite absurd”

He is a laughing stock around the world...but I guess destroying alliances with western democracies is the goal.

Overnight reaction from Danish leaders:
“An insult”
“Lacks even basic diplomatic skills”
“Please show more respect”
“An insult to the royal house”
“A spoiled child”
“Trump lives on another planet”
“Quite absurd”

He is a laughing stock around the world...but I guess destroying alliances with western democracies is the goal.
Destroy alliances lol

What's destroying the alliance is allies not paying their share, forcing us to subsidize those alliances.

Many people are saying the reason Trump is not going to Denmark is because Obama had huge crowds just a few months ago and he is fixated on crowd size.

Destroy alliances lol

What's destroying the alliance is allies not paying their share, forcing us to subsidize those alliances.

You do realize that he's pissed at the countries about not paying their fair share to NATO who was created due to the threat of Communism. Or the old Soviet Union, China, ect....

Trump isn't pissed at Putin.... Wrap your head around that...

Ted Cruz: “I don’t know anyone who would be comfortable with someone who behaves this way having his finger on the button. I mean, we’re liable to wake up one morning and Donald, if he were president, would have nuked Denmark. That’s not the temperament of a leader to keep this country safe.” - 2016

"What's the point of calling yourself a liberal if you don't allow anyone else to have a different view?" - Piers Morgan ( a very liberal spokesperson)

The fact that they are in violation of the NATO treaty by only spending 1.3% of GDP on defense.

But that wouldn't go over well either...

Indiandad I suspect that this has a lot more to do with Trump's real estate shopping then people realize. He has to be frustrated by our NATO "allies" continuing to miss their spending targets on defense. Soon US & NATO military interoperability will be gone. Then what good is NATO?

I bet Trump was looking for non-traditional ways for our NATO allies to actually pull their weight in the alliance. Sell us Greenland on the cheap and we let Denmark off the hook.

The fact is that when Trump offered to buy Denmark the PROPER Danish response should have been along the lines of:

Thank you for your offer Mr. President but as you know Denmark has a long history of settlement in Greenland. Our ancestors braved the unknown of the Atlantic Ocean to found the first European colony in North America and the story of our Greenland settlements is a part of our nations cultural fabric. So we decline your offer but look forward to your visit.

Instead the Danish PM was rude calling the offer "absurd". It was a strange offer but hardly absurd. The bottom line though is what gives the PM of a country we DEFEND that doesn't even meet it's minimum defense spending obligations the right to be rude? I'm glad Trump canceled the visit. Now he needs to take a long hard look at NATO.

You do realize that he's pissed at the countries about not paying their fair share to NATO who was created due to the threat of Communism. Or the old Soviet Union, China, ect....

Trump isn't pissed at Putin.... Wrap your head around that...
Russia isn't part of NATO. Why would Trump be pissed at Putin for not paying their fair share if they aren't part of NATO?

Maybe he should be pissed at Putin for other things....and maybe he is or maybe he isn't but you do realize the two aren't related, right?