Former Huddle Members

Rahiem

Just curious if any former huddle members were on here. They closed their boards 3 years and was just curious is all

Like a lot of ex-Huddlers, I left once they started instituting the modest monthly fee
I'm one of them. Took a lifetime ban on the way out for mentioning by name that I would be coming here. Good riddance to Porky Pig's Big Red and Cardinal Mooney Love Huddle.

Used the same name on the Huddle for about 10 years, right up to the end. Never got banned, but I did have some posts deleted several years ago when arguing with naysayers about my school's basketball team.

Rahiem,

Yep, Was on the Huddle for many, many years and on Yappi for several years as well.

Whether you know it or not, your son was on the same Elida baseball team as my grandson that won the
Lima City League baseball championship earlier this month under the lights at Faurot Park.

JB

Yep was on the Huddle for years, banned a few times and created some of my best Threads. Was ask to jump to the OC and I'm still there. I join Yappi a few years back but was not a regular. I'm doing more on Yappi now (haven't see my first pay check yet) but this is a good group and interesting individual.

Two things killed the Huddle. Pay and Overbearing Oversight.

THIS

I was there / Now I'm Here ~ as member #81- why did it take me so long?
~ same 'Bat Name' which is also the 'CB Handle' (remember those) that I use
on every site where I'm a member.

On the Huddle...
A little power goes to some people's heads.

Never banned; only had a thread closed once...
posted the announcement about the ending of TELEGRAPH service by
Western Union in all caps. Specifically written like a telegraph which is the way
'wires' were delivered back in the day, the message in caps on strips of 'ticker-tape'.

:>---

EGA

I was a huddle regular until they charged a fee. I did get banned once for insulting an advertiser. Remember the guy that had some sports drink as his name? I had no idea he was an actual advertiser.

Had a thread deleted when I asked how often guys wash their (golf) balls.

I too was a Huddle Member. Back in the day the amount of traffic those forums got was unbelievable. When JJ sold it off it went down hill quick.

Rahiem,

Yep, Was on the Huddle for many, many years and on Yappi for several years as well.

Whether you know it or not, your son was on the same Elida baseball team as my grandson that won the
Lima City League baseball championship earlier this month under the lights at Faurot Park.

JB
Yes sir! well aware. Your daughter told me. Funny how her and I work together. That team was so fun to watch. Love to chat sports with you anytime

The meltdowns were epic.
The overbearing nature of the Mods who took it too seriously, JJ's arrogance, favoring certain schools, restrictive nature of posting (no abbreviations) etc was their downfall.
Then they started to charge, then not, then added a lifetime membership, then sold, new people weren't going to honor and grandfather those in whom paid for lifetime,

yeah, what a crapstorm.

THEN freehuddle.com arose. THat was a fun site ran by justincredible. Apparently the huddle tried to sue them for using the HUDDLE name, he got some legal docs delivered or something like that, and he caved in and changed the name to ohiochatter. That site still exists with no HS sports discussion, some professional/college sports but mostly just the general and debate forum.

I still hop in from time to time to ruffle a few feathers that don't like me over there and then let em stew for a couple of weeks. That site has become a small group of people who will rally and gang up on a few.

I was on the Huddle back in the day but was never a big fan, came across as very cultish and those in power definitely played favorites. Interesting critical discussion was in very short supply with too much mutual masturbation between certain fan segments driving the thread discussions. This site was always considered the more intelligent and tolerant Ohio HS sports site and the fact it is still chugging along while the Huddle is but a memory says a lot about the folks that were at the top of Huddle food pyramid.

Good riddance.

...I enjoyed the old Huddle as I made a good many friends who I still have today. Thought it was insane that any post the mentioned the word Yappi got deleted immediately. I got put on the sidelines for 30 days for questioning why it got their panties in a bunch.

...I enjoyed the old Huddle as I made a good many friends who I still have today. Thought it was insane that any post the mentioned the word Yappi got deleted immediately. I got put on the sidelines for 30 days for questioning why it got their panties in a bunch.

And just think, Mooney fans were "inside the ropes" at the Huddle and got a pass on many dubious comments in posts. But the Cleveland & Cincy area fans and private backers in particular were hated on; I remember many times whole threads of comments from their fans just disappearing. Bennies'01, CatAlum & CatFan in particular had many running beefs with some of the Gestapo Mods.

And just think, Mooney fans were "inside the ropes" at the Huddle and got a pass on many dubious comments in posts. But the Cleveland & Cincy area fans and private backers in particular were hated on; I remember many times whole threads of comments from their fans just disappearing. Bennies'01, CatAlum & CatFan in particular had many running beefs with some of the Gestapo Mods.
That explains a lot. When I first got on this site, I always wondered why it seemed to have a larger following amongst private school supporters, especially from the GCL schools and St. Ignatius. The only reason I ever got a Huddle account was in hopes of being grandfathered in if the site ever went pay again. No dice. I believe it already went through its 1st stint as a pay site before I joined.

I think a lot of us started over there then bailed as it decayed. Never got banned. Edited/censored, but not banned. That site strove to be a little more civil but they really got carried away.

Yep. I joined the Huddle in '99 as Tigerz. Was given a lifetime ban from JJ himself for calling creepy posters pedophiles as they inappropriately commented on a bunch of ten year old girls that were brought out in Dallas Cowboy cheerleader uniforms for a halftime show.