Commonly mislocated schools

How many Canton city High schools were there before it was whittled down to just McKinley? I know about Timken.

Toledo.....Ottawa Hills is their own school district so having Toledo before their name is a misnomer...Whitmer is not a TPS, but rather in the Washington Local Schools. Toledo CC, Toledo Christian, Emmanuel Baptist, St Johns, St Francis parochial......Bowsher, Woodward, Scott, Waite, Start, Rogers...TPSs.

Sandusky Perkins....not a Sandusky school, but in Perkins Twp with a Sandusky address...

Galion Northmor….not a Galion city school....But a district in Northern Morrow county with a Galion Address.

South Range K-12 campus is no longer in North Lima. They built a new school 8 years ago on route 46, west of North Lima and south of Canfield. The new address is: 11375 Columbiana-Canfield Road, Canfield, OH 44406.
Apparently South Range Schools utilizes some utilities from Canfield and as such it was annexed, as the only way they could tie into Canfield's lines was if they agreed to be annexed. It formerly was just a Canfield mailing address, but now it is actually the farthest outlying area to be annexed by Canfield. It is a really unusual situation to say the least.
One thing I do know is there are some places that have Austintown or Youngstown mailing addresses but are Canfield schools, and one area that is a Canfield mailing address but is Austintown schools. I think there are similar situations involving Boardman as well. This is mostly in the Cornersberg area as far as I know.

Bethel Local Schools located in Bethel Twp in SE Miami County often gets Tipp City thrown behind it. Because we are just four miles east of Tipp City, but they are their own school district known as Tippecanoe. To the east of us just over the Clark County line in what is also known as Bethel tWP sits the district of Tecumseh. You often see New Carlisle attached to their name because the town is about five miles to the nw of the school. However the district merged two school districts Olive Branch local whicn brought Donnelsville, Park Layne, Medway, and Crystal Lakes together with New Carlisle to form the Bethel-New Carlisle Local in the 70s. Then there began to get some confusion with the mailing addresses of the schools because of the two schools in either side of the county line being the same name. To avoid more confusion with the Miami Bethel, the Clark County Bethel became Tecumseh in 1989. Also Greenon near Enon used to be known as Mad River Local but had to change theirs because there was another school known as Mad River near Wright Patt known as Stebbins.

Not sure where you get your Tecumseh info but that district has been New Carlisle Tecumseh since it’s formation in 1952. Also, Tipp City Bethel is called that due to being served by the Tipp post office.

The city that precedes the school name is the POST OFFICE locale of the district. Springfield has one city school but many in Clark County are served by the Springfield post office. Greenon was one. In the early 80s we played Springfield Greenon. Now it’s Enon Greenon. West Milton Milton-Union. W Milton due to the postal address. If it were 2 miles to the west it would be Potsdam Milton-Union. Bethel will always be Tipp City Bethel unless Huber annexes it. Clayton Northmont is another one. Known for being Englewood, but located in Clayton Postal service area.

Apparently South Range Schools utilizes some utilities from Canfield and as such it was annexed, as the only way they could tie into Canfield's lines was if they agreed to be annexed. It formerly was just a Canfield mailing address, but now it is actually the farthest outlying area to be annexed by Canfield. It is a really unusual situation to say the least.
One thing I do know is there are some places that have Austintown or Youngstown mailing addresses but are Canfield schools, and one area that is a Canfield mailing address but is Austintown schools. I think there are similar situations involving Boardman as well. This is mostly in the Cornersberg area as far as I know.

I'm not so sure about that. Certainly not annexed into Canfield City. Here is the outline of Canfield city, per Googe Maps (not always 100% accurate, though):

https://goo.gl/maps/55VSoXxiZ1X5w9L96

Annexed into Canfield Township, maybe? That doesn't seem right, either. I don't believe townships are permitted to annex property from adjacent townships. Here's Canfield Township, according to Google maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/FSJLkHhR7VYMyAwi8

The South Range schools complex appears to be at least 2+ miles south of the southern border of Canfield Township (Western Reserve Road).

Now it's possible that the South Range schools have utilities (water and/or sewer) provided by Canfield city or township, but it seems way too far away to be considered for annexation.

Do you have a source that indicates the school complex property was annexed?

Not sure where you get your Tecumseh info but that district has been New Carlisle Tecumseh since it’s formation in 1952. Also, Tipp City Bethel is called that due to being served by the Tipp post office.

The city that precedes the school name is the POST OFFICE locale of the district. Springfield has one city school but many in Clark County are served by the Springfield post office. Greenon was one. In the early 80s we played Springfield Greenon. Now it’s Enon Greenon. West Milton Milton-Union. W Milton due to the postal address. If it were 2 miles to the west it would be Potsdam Milton-Union. Bethel will always be Tipp City Bethel unless Huber annexes it. Clayton Northmont is another one. Known for being Englewood, but located in Clayton Postal service area.

Got this information about Tecumseh from here....yes they merged in the 50s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecumseh_High_School_(New_Carlisle,_Ohio)

Yes I can see it being called Springfield Greenon, because the high school isn't too far from the Springfield City limits. Also their is an elementary school that closed near the Air Force base that was a greenon school....Hustead and another towards Springfield that closed like 30 years ago

Here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenon_Local_School_District

The district was known back then as Mad River-Greene Local Schools....to reflect things like postal, fire, emergency, police things of that nature...so yes your right the postal address dictates these things.

Rock Hill High in Lawrence County has an Ironton address but not in Ironton schools..

Clay High School...Right there on 23 on the north side of Portsmouth, Clay Local Schools with a Portsmouth address
Notre Dame..a catholic school in Portsmouth..
West Portsmouth HS...Actually in West Portsmouth known as the Washington-Nile Local School District.
Portsmouth East...closed by the city but reopened as Sciotoville Community School but still referred too as East.

I'm not so sure about that. Certainly not annexed into Canfield City. Here is the outline of Canfield city, per Googe Maps (not always 100% accurate, though):

Annexed into Canfield Township, maybe? That doesn't seem right, either. I don't believe townships are permitted to annex property from adjacent townships. Here's Canfield Township, according to Google maps:

The South Range schools complex appears to be at least 2+ miles south of the southern border of Canfield Township (Western Reserve Road).

Now it's possible that the South Range schools have utilities (water and/or sewer) provided by Canfield city or township, but it seems way too far away to be considered for annexation.

Do you have a source that indicates the school complex property was annexed?
It was annexed by the city of Canfield, because you cannot tie into Canfield city water lines unless you are officially part of the city. Whatever township the school was in had to allow Canfield city to annex the school's property as part of the agreement or else the school would have had to use well water.
Generally speaking Google Maps doesn't really show weird situations like this, it usually only shows annexation if the property bordered the existing boundary for the city. As part of tieing in the school they also tied in the businesses or residences along the way, I am fairly certain their property was annexed as part of the agreement.
I believe the agreement allowed the township to continue collecting property tax while the city would collect income tax.

For instance where my brother lived was annexed by the city of Columbus but on Google maps it is not shown but I know for a fact it was annexed. My brother lived in close proximity to Kilbourne High School FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Marion Ohio.....another fun big ohio town with Marion City Schools...
Elgin...Not a Marion City school with a Marion address, located out in the sticks and serves students in the southern and western part of the county. Elgin Local include Green Camp, Prospect, LaRue, and New Bloomington.
Pleasant..a TWP school just south of Marion with a Marion address.
River Valley...5 miles east of Marion on Route 95
Ridgedale...located out in total nothingness between Marion and Morral. has a Morral address.

Marion St Mary and Marion Catholic....two former catholic hs in town now just down to a k-8 st Marys

It was annexed by the city of Canfield, because you cannot tie into Canfield city water lines unless you are officially part of the city. Whatever township the school was in had to allow Canfield city to annex the school's property as part of the agreement or else the school would have had to use well water.

Same situation for Hamilton Local in Franklin County. Previously they were only in the township, and school employees did not pay any city income tax. After replacing all of the school buildings 2003-2008 , the new buildings were annexed into the village of Obetz (who were tied into Columbus city water lines), so the school employees began paying Obetz income tax after that.

As part of tieing in the school they also tied in the businesses or residences along the way, I am fairly certain their property was annexed as part of the agreement.

That didn't happen in our district. The high school, admin building, and the campus for elementary-thru-middle are on three separate "islands" after the annexation to Obetz.

In between those three islands are a 900-home housing development (where I live) which remains township only, and some stand-alone homes that were already part of the village of Lockbourne and currently remain there.

Kind of funny to see "entering Obetz" ... "leaving Obetz" .... "entering Obetz" as you drive along Rathmell Rd past those islands.

There's another oddity - a growing housing development started up 5 years ago (still growing) within a stone's throw of K-8 campus, but because of the "win-win" arm-twisting agreement where all new developments are annexed to Columbus, the kids living there will be bused several miles away to go to Columbus city schools ......

How many Canton city High schools were there before it was whittled down to just McKinley? I know about Timken.

Toledo.....Ottawa Hills is their own school district so having Toledo before their name is a misnomer...Whitmer is not a TPS, but rather in the Washington Local Schools. Toledo CC, Toledo Christian, Emmanuel Baptist, St Johns, St Francis parochial......Bowsher, Woodward, Scott, Waite, Start, Rogers...TPSs.

Sandusky Perkins....not a Sandusky school, but in Perkins Twp with a Sandusky address...

Galion Northmor….not a Galion city school....But a district in Northern Morrow county with a Galion Address.

From 1941 to 1976, Canton City Schools had 4 public high schools: McKinley (8th and N. Market), Timken (corner of Tuscarawas and McKinley), Lehman (corner of 15th and Oxford NW), and Lincoln (corner of 6th and Harrison SW).

In addition, St. John HS was a small coed Catholic school operating in downtown Canton (corner of 6th and McKinley NW) until 1945 when they merged with Mt. Marie College to form Canton Central Catholic HS. Until additions were completed at the Mt. Marie campus in the fall of 1950, all boys took classes in the St. John building. Central Catholic has a Canton address but is located in Perry Twp.

Lincoln and Lehman were closed as HSs at the end of the '75-'76 school year. Following that restructuring of the schools, Timken was repackaged as a Senior HS as opposed to its previous designation as a Vocational HS. McKinley moved from its former location on North Market Ave. (it's now a convalescent home) to its current location on 17th NW (near the Pro Football HoF). Lehman became a junior high, and Lincoln eventually became home to Heritage Christian School which offered HS classes up until this past school year. McKinley is now the only Senior HS in town, but all 9th graders still take classes at the Timken building. Incidentally, the original Lehman building and stadium still stand today, but a new Lehman building was constructed at the corner of 13th and Broad NW.

In addition to the schools in Canton proper, other schools in the surrounding townships have Canton mailing addresses. Canton South was the result of a merger of the much smaller Waco and North Industry schools that were located in Canton Twp. The school was originally known as Canton Twp. but assumed the name of Canton South in 1948.

To the north, Middlebranch HS served Plain Twp. until the '50s when it was replaced by Canton Glenwood (just east of the intersection of 44th and Cleveland) and North Canton Oakwood (just west of the intersection of Schneider and Middlebranch). Those 2 HSs merged in 1975 to become GlenOak which carries a Canton mailing address today.

You also have HSs in East Canton and North Canton, but those 2 communities have always been separate from Canton. They were originally known as Osnaburg and New Berlin. East Canton serves Osnaburg Twp. and is known as the Osnaburg Local SD. North Canton serves its own city as well as Greentown which merged with North Canton in 1957. At that time, North Canton HS started to become known as Hoover HS.

Other smaller schools from back in the day include Canton Trinity Christian which existed for a brief time in the '80s as part of the Trinity Gospel Temple located next to I-77 on Tuscarawas Ave. and Brunnerdale Seminary located at the NW corner of Hills and Dales and Brunnerdale, which as its name suggests, was a seminary from 1931-1981 and whose property was transformed into the Jack Nicklaus-designed Glenmoor Country Club. Brunnerdale Seminary was not in Canton proper but was an OHSAA member for a time and carried a Canton mailing address. No football, but they competed in basketball and baseball at the very least.

Gallia Academy is another interesting school name/situation.

It sounds like a private school but is, indeed, public.

It is basically Gallipolis High School but has kept the "Academy" portion of its name as a connection to it's origins as a military academy.

Poland Seminary HS has a similar thing going on with it. The land used to be home to a seminary but was deeded to the school system under the condition that "Seminary" continue to be a part of the school's name. Despite the name, it's as public as any other high school.

"Galion Northmor….not a Galion city school....But a district in Northern Morrow county with a Galion Address."
Northmor (Northern Morrow county) is composed of the old Johnsville and Iberia school districts.

Same situation for Hamilton Local in Franklin County. Previously they were only in the township, and school employees did not pay any city income tax. After replacing all of the school buildings 2003-2008 , the new buildings were annexed into the village of Obetz (who were tied into Columbus city water lines), so the school employees began paying Obetz income tax after that.

That didn't happen in our district. The high school, admin building, and the campus for elementary-thru-middle are on three separate "islands" after the annexation to Obetz.

In between those three islands are a 900-home housing development (where I live) which remains township only, and some stand-alone homes that were already part of the village of Lockbourne and currently remain there.

Kind of funny to see "entering Obetz" ... "leaving Obetz" .... "entering Obetz" as you drive along Rathmell Rd past those islands.

There's another oddity - a growing housing development started up 5 years ago (still growing) within a stone's throw of K-8 campus, but because of the "win-win" arm-twisting agreement where all new developments are annexed to Columbus, the kids living there will be bused several miles away to go to Columbus city schools ......
No housing developments were annexed by the city of Canfield. Only homes and businesses directly on State Route 46 were affected as nothing on any other streets or developments was tied into Canfield city water, only those which were directly in the path from where the water line formerly ended on State Route 46 to where the school lies a mile and a half South.

I know in Worthington near where my brother lives you see quite a few entering and exiting Columbus signs.

However you won't see this on Route 46 because it isn't a "normal annexation", as I said before the township still collects property taxes so it is kind of like "semi-annexed" if that makes sense.
Even for housing developments that have been annexed by the City of Canfield in Canfield township, I have never seen any signage to indicate entering or leaving/exiting the city limits. I have only seen signage for the "normal or standard" city limits. There are signs by the turnpike on St Rt 46, by the Fairgrounds on St Rt 46, by St Rt 11 on US 224, by St Rt 446 on US 224 and maybe a few other places. As far as I know nothing is posted on the turnpike or St Rt 11.

Generally speaking Google Maps doesn't really show weird situations like this, it usually only shows annexation if the property bordered the existing boundary for the city. As part of tieing in the school they also tied in the businesses or residences along the way, I am fairly certain their property was annexed as part of the agreement.

I believe the agreement allowed the township to continue collecting property tax while the city would collect income tax.

No housing developments were annexed by the city of Canfield. Only homes and businesses directly on State Route 46 were affected as nothing on any other streets or developments was tied into Canfield city water, only those which were directly in the path from where the water line formerly ended on State Route 46 to where the school lies a mile and a half South.

I know in Worthington near where my brother lives you see quite a few entering and exiting Columbus signs.

However you won't see this on Route 46 because it isn't a "normal annexation", as I said before the township still collects property taxes so it is kind of like "semi-annexed" if that makes sense.
Even for housing developments that have been annexed by the City of Canfield in Canfield township, I have never seen any signage to indicate entering or leaving/exiting the city limits. I have only seen signage for the "normal or standard" city limits. There are signs by the turnpike on St Rt 46, by the Fairgrounds on St Rt 46, by St Rt 11 on US 224, by St Rt 446 on US 224 and maybe a few other places. As far as I know nothing is posted on the turnpike or St Rt 11.

Sim, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on most all things here on Yappi, so despite my skepticism, I'll have to defer to you on this issue. Sorry for doubting you.

...If you're scoring at home, it's simkon 1, coldshoulder 0.

Not sure where you get your Tecumseh info but that district has been New Carlisle Tecumseh since it’s formation in 1952.

I think the confusion was how his post was phrased. The DISTRICT changed it's name in 1989 to Tecumseh Local. The district's high school had been Tecumseh since the 1952 merger of New Carlisle and Olive Branch HS.

I read that. My mistake Bethel.

Tecumseh is a weird one.

Tri County North isn’t in Cincinnati. It the old Twin Valley North SD Located in Lewisburg. Some think it’s near Tri County Mall area.

Last edited:
I read that. My mistake Bethel.

Tecumseh is a weird one.

Tri County North isn’t in Cincinnati. It the old Twin Valley North SD Located in Lewisburg. Some think it’s near Tri County Mall area.

Which Tri-County has its own level of confusion as while there are two counties in that area (Hamilton and Butler) Clermont or Warren are a decent distance away.

Tri County is technically Springdale, but is Princeton City School District LOL.

Can't remember who it was on the Huddle some years back, maybe iudogs, that asked "When will the Circleville BOE make a decision on filling the "Circleville Logan Elm" HC position?", not knowing the Logan Elm district was separate from Circleville's, although both had Circleville mailing addresses. We had some fun with that one.

SHOCKING!!! The most misinformed poster on here.

I attended grade school in Risingsun Ohio. In the Lakota High school district. Not even close to Lakota East or Lakota West. It's in NW Ohio-now called Kansas Lakota. (No idea where Kansas is actually)

Risingsun is on U.S. Route 23, a few miles north of Fostoria, and is about nine miles west of Kansas. Kansas is on State Route 635, but is a pretty rural location.

Over in Wood County I always see Bloomdale Elmwood in the sports page but the school is closer to Jerry City or Cygnet than anything. Findlay Liberty Benton is another. Yes the district comes right up to the Findlay City line and the high school is like a mile or so from the line as well. But the school was always located not far from Findlay in the twps. of Eagle and Liberty along with the village of Benton Ridge.

When I worked at The Courier in Findlay in the mid- to late-1990s, we used Benton Ridge as the dateline for Liberty-Benton. That changed when the district built a new school.
As for Elmwood, the elementary school was located in Bloomdale until the district built its new school next to the old high school, which now serves as a community center.

Until the first time I drove through Worthington (oh, now I'm in Columbus! Oh wait, back in Worthington. Oh, Columbus again! Nope, still Worthington.), Columbus Worthington Kilbourne confused me.

Now I realize it serves Worthington, but is physically located in one of the enclaves that's Columbus.

Sherwood Fairview is actually located closer to and in the same township (Washington) as Ney instead of Sherwood (Delaware Township). Granted, it's 4 miles from Ney compared to 4.5 from Sherwood.

On a side note:
Wright State's Nutter Center, where the state volleyball tournament is held, is always mistakenly said to be in Dayton. It is in Fairborn.

Until the first time I drove through Worthington (oh, now I'm in Columbus! Oh wait, back in Worthington. Oh, Columbus again! Nope, still Worthington.), Columbus Worthington Kilbourne confused me.

Now I realize it serves Worthington, but is physically located in one of the enclaves that's Columbus.

Sherwood Fairview is actually located closer to and in the same township (Washington) as Ney instead of Sherwood (Delaware Township). Granted, it's 4 miles from Ney compared to 4.5 from Sherwood.

Thomas Worthington was the main high school for years for WCS....Overcrowding near the northern part of the district forced the district to build Kilbourne in 1993

Bringing the thread back to life. Using the following questions, where is your actual school building located?

1)Is your school building actually located inside a cities' limits? If yes, what city?
2)If no, is your school building actually inside a village's limits? If yes, what village?
3)If no, what township I your school building in?

Ada Exempted Village Schools
Located in Ada, Ohio
Serves all of Liberty Township in Hardin County and Orange Township(southern Hancock County)

Bringing the thread back to life. Using the following questions, where is your actual school building located?

1)Is your school building actually located inside a cities' limits? If yes, what city?
2)If no, is your school building actually inside a village's limits? If yes, what village?
3)If no, what township I your school building in?

The school I teach in in South Carolina is the combination of two rural schools back in the 1960s. It serves 1,800 students from 7 different zip codes. To make things even better the physical campus is closer to one of the towns we serve than it is to the town whose name is on our mailing address.