Toledo Area Athletic Conference 2018-2019

Toledo Christian v Tiffin Calvert - I'll take Toledo Christian. They limit mistakes and keep the ball in the hands of their best players. It is easier to game plan when the other team's best player in a "big" (Ottawa Hills).

Maumee Valley v Mohawk - I have not seen Mohawk. So all I can do is compare scores/schedules and MVCD's schedule was a few games over .500 while Mohawk's was 25+ games under .500. If Coleman is back to full speed I'll take MVCD, if not Mohawk runs 2 or 3 guys at Jackson forcing him into bad shots and a loss.

District Final Friday 7:00 @ Fostoria:
Maumee Valley #2 Seed vs Toledo Christian #3 Seed

Maumee Valley going after Mohawk obviously looks like the right move now.

Prior games:
12/15/18 Maumee Valley 65 Toledo Christian 56
1/25/19 Maumee Valley 46 Toledo Christian 40

IF Maumee Valley cleans up their shot selection they should win this game. They have struggled with shot selection vs good teams all year though. The worst thing that putting up huge numbers on Mohawk does it get them thinking that every shot is a good shot. Toledo Christian is a far better team on the defensive end than Mohawk and will not give up all those open looks.

Maumee Valley by 4-6.

MV and Mohawk was a great game for 3 quarters. Mohawk's best player (Hayman) didn't start after sitting out their sectional game with a knee injury. He played but didn't look that he was at 100%. They also had a post player who was a load inside for MV. In addition to Zeb, MV had a lot of guys contribute. That's the best I've seen Lumsden play. Coleman was in foul trouble and got hurt in the 4th quarter. Watching him move after the game, I'd be surprised if he's good to go for Friday.

TC only hit one three that I recall and that came early. They had no answer for either Delvaux or Wensick. It looked like their game plan really focused on stopping McWhinnie. TC got a ton of layups and 10-15 footers.

Stritch vs Erie Mason tonight should be a good game. Erie Mason has a kid who averaged 20 ppg as a soph and a couple 6'7"-6'8" kids.

That's what I thought as well but this one got ugly early and stayed that way.

Random thoughts;

#4 Genoa 24-0/#11 Cardinal Stritch 21-3 will be a packed house for a great great game between two teams that know each other very well.

Erie Mason making a run to the D3 Final Four in Michigan and are now 22-2. I think I saw Leidel is scoring 28 PPG for them.

Collins KY D1 - District Champs, Blackman TN D1 - District Champs, Norwalk D2 Playing for District Title, Marion Local D4 Playing for district title, plus the two TAAC teams below are all teams on Stritch's schedule who are making a nice run.

TC D4/MVCDS D4 game should be a good one tonight for the district title.

Random thoughts;

#4 Genoa 24-0/#11 Cardinal Stritch 21-3 will be a packed house for a great great game between two teams that know each other very well.

Erie Mason making a run to the D3 Final Four in Michigan and are now 22-2. I think I saw Leidel is scoring 28 PPG for them.

Collins KY D1 - District Champs, Blackman TN D1 - District Champs, Norwalk D2 Playing for District Title, Marion Local D4 Playing for district title, plus the two TAAC teams below are all teams on Stritch's schedule who are making a nice run.

TC D4/MVCDS D4 game should be a good one tonight for the district title.

Most anticipated game, for me, this season. Will Stritch run? Will Genoa run with them? Will Stritch attack Bench in order to get him into foul trouble? Plantz is great, do you sacrifice Holifield to defend him? Unsure Plantz has been defended all year by someone with Holifield's capabilities. With that said, it could backfire and put Holifield into early foul trouble.

Maumee Valley beats Columbus Grove 58-48 to move to the regional final vs winner of Convoy Crestview and Ottoville.

Maumee Valley Country Day School vs Convoy Crestview Tonight 7:00 @ BGSU

For MVCDS to have a chance they can't take any plays off, have to get back in transition, send 5 guys to the defensive glass and if they take their typical number of pull up jumpers on the break they better be falling.....and Jackson needs to score 25+ with an efficient number of shots.

Cardinal Stritch vs Coldwater Sat. 7:00 @ BGSU

Coldwater's run has been the most impressive in the tournament. Beat #1 Archbold 23-1, #8 Ottawa Glandorf 21-4 and Willard 22-4. They are pretty long (several 6'3"-6-5" players), share the ball well and and can really shoot it. The game will come down to how well Stritch can defend and shot selection.

Has anybody ever watched a MVCD big game and thought they really get after it defensively? They certainly didn’t last night.

Sidebar local hoops question: how many programs have dads as assistant coaches? MVCD, St Johns, St Francis, others? You then have dads as head coaches, Toledo Christian, Rogers and Whitmer, others?

It will be interesting to see how the officials call the game tonight. District 7 officials are notorious for calling games tight and not letting things get too physical...especially in D3 and D4. If the officials tonight let Coldwater play physical, I'm not sure the at Stritch will handle it. Coldwater was the more physical team in both the Archbold and OG wins and it worked in their favor. If they are allowed to play physical tonight, I think the Cavs are on to Columbus. Either way, should be a good one

Has anybody ever watched a MVCD big game and thought they really get after it defensively? They certainly didn’t last night.

Sidebar local hoops question: how many programs have dads as assistant coaches? MVCD, St Johns, St Francis, others? You then have dads as head coaches, Toledo Christian, Rogers and Whitmer, others?

MVCDS plays like an AAU team, no discipline, no structure and that's they way it has been designed for the past 3 years on purpose. Jackson was 7-29 from the field for 25 pts! Last year vs. CC 6-20 I do believe, 5-25 vs Edgerton the year before... sense a theme. Convoy ran great offense of set and moved the ball very well and they actually could shoot!

At one point MV was 3-23 from three. Yikes! Jackson has potential does not know what to do without ball in his hands, coaching would help, also has failed to show up against the best teams everytime. Convoy, Cardinal Stritch.

Nothing wrong with fathers on the bench but atleast they should be qualified to do so, no just rando's to keep kid on team. Might help of father played atleast high school, or college, or has some type of teaching skills.

MVCDS plays like an AAU team, no discipline, no structure

CC has two DI posts. That's unheard of at this division. It's unheard of in any division. AND those posts are mobile and can shoot from outside.

After the scruffle, refs started calling it tight, making drives problematic but drive they attempted. Their players were under the basket on those 3 pt shots and even got some put-back points. They rotated and moved the ball on the perimeter well against a very good defense and on defense, made CC work the top of their game. Most (not all of course) the 3 point shots were well set. Yes MVCD has a "star" but they put five contributors on the floor who all appear to have a green light to play. It looked pretty structured to me.

Last edited:
Stritch moves on to Columbus with a 68-58 win. They did a great job defending, forcing 20 turnovers and shot a high percentage from the field.

I have to admit I was really concerned with Coldwater based on who they beat in the district and watching how well they moved the ball and shot vs Willard. I was not even comfortable when Stritch was up 24 mid way through the 3rd.

Impressive run for Coldwater.

I remember the days when Ottawa Hills dominated the TAAC not too long ago. From 2006-2016, the Green Bears went 176-42. I expect them to be back at the top soon. Heard their freshman class has a few players with DI potential.

Yep. Played 7th and his first 8th grade year at OH before the redshirt year at St. John's Academy. Brother played at OH after some time at MV but dad never appeared to be too happy with Lindsey.

Yep. Played 7th and his first 8th grade year at OH before the redshirt year at St. John's Academy. Brother played at OH after some time at MV but dad never appeared to be too happy with Lindsey.

Never met the dad, but I remember the older brother. Was on that OH team with the enormous front line(Beans, Coil, Cummings).

Guess they did about as well with CC in the Regional Final as MVCDS did this year...

Lutheran East 58 Stritch 53.

Stritch needed a couple more plays or bounces their way if they were going to pull it off vs a talented Lutheran East team. They did a good job on the glass +8, limiting turnovers 11 vs 12, but just couldn't get enough shots to fall through a lot of contact.

Great season players and coaches. Hate to see it end.

Good argument that this game was won when schedules were made out. That's not just better experience for the players but better growth for the coach calling game management. Lutheran East scheduled up, way up to where they knew their first teamers would compete. Heavy on DI schools and good ones at that.

CS knew this talent was coming in to the school and they didn't serve it with the OOC. They held a basic writing class for AP English students. If you're going to recruit the talent, recruit the schedule. East had a distinct advantage being in the LEE for basketball, I don't think TRAC would accept a basketball only member. It's the OOC that has to change.

This is an example of how IB's flexible uber conference would benefit local teams. A smaller school would be able to "play-up" in sports in which they are stronger than their enrollment would imply and likewise bigger schools with weaker teams could get more competitive seasons and better learning competition for thier players. Kind of a self-imposed competitive balance.

Last edited:
Good argument that this game was won when schedules were made out. That's not just better experience for the players but better growth for the coach calling game management. Lutheran East scheduled up, way up to where they knew their first teamers would compete. Heavy on DI schools and good ones at that.

CS knew this talent was coming in to the school and they didn't serve it with the OOC. They held a basic writing class for AP English students. If you're going to recruit the talent, recruit the schedule. East had a distinct advantage being in the LEE for basketball, I don't think TRAC would accept a basketball only member. It's the OOC that has to change.

This is an example of how IB's flexible uber conference would benefit local teams. A smaller school would be able to "play-up" in sports in which they are stronger than their enrollment would imply and likewise bigger schools with weaker teams could get more competitive seasons and better learning competition for thier players. Kind of a self-imposed competitive balance.

Stritch's OOC isn't strong if you're looking to prepare for a deep tourney run, but their TAAC schedule is what's really hurting them. 4 games vs Emmanual Christian and Northwood were laughers...and the 4 with OH and MVCD weren't really much of a game. Only the two with TC were close. Don't know anything about the talent level of the TN teams, but they seemed to at least be bigger schools who were probably better at least athletically than the rest of Stritch's schedule. The problem with scheduling up too far is if you hit a down year, you get beat badly in some of the games and that's not good for anyone. If Stritch feels like they can be one of the Top D3's in the state for awhile, then looking to upgrade the schedule is probably a good idea

Stritch's OOC isn't strong if you're looking to prepare for a deep tourney run, but their TAAC schedule is what's really hurting them. 4 games vs Emmanual Christian and Northwood were laughers...and the 4 with OH and MVCD weren't really much of a game. Only the two with TC were close. Don't know anything about the talent level of the TN teams, but they seemed to at least be bigger schools who were probably better at least athletically than the rest of Stritch's schedule. The problem with scheduling up too far is if you hit a down year, you get beat badly in some of the games and that's not good for anyone. If Stritch feels like they can be one of the Top D3's in the state for awhile, then looking to upgrade the schedule is probably a good idea

EIB acknowledged that the OOC schedule is what they could control and they did not go far enough. They have no control over league which is why some flexibility like the newly formed SBC would be nice. We all understand that Stritch beating Northwood by 60 was not good for anyone. The Tennessee tourney was legit and Stritch competed but as EIB mentioned a couple games vs. Whitmer, SF, AW would have helped as well. Lutheran East scheduled Eds, Iggy, Cleveland Heights to name a few.

Lets be honest here. While I believe Coach K to be a very good coach and think Stritch will continue to grow as an option for local players this years team was an anomaly. Aside from Burton you had a Rossford kid whose dad happens to be really good friends with the HC. Anderson was a bonus from what I understand. Went to Stritch for academics and never played organized basketball prior to freshman year. What a find!? The two bigs were a product of Oregon Clay's basketball ineptness. I think Coach K bumped the schedule but I also believe that he did not understand how good the team could be and if asked to do it all over again he'd probably reach out to the higher end locals for OOC match-ups.

Next year they will be good with Holifield and Wilson but losing Burton, Anderson, Finch, and Caryer is going to hurt. Unsure if they ever get back to this kind of talent and height.

Lutheran East should be D-I (as should Harvest Prep). Billingsley, Benson, and Farmer are all legit D-I guys and they have several others that are border line and D2. That is clear recruitment for a school of that size. As long as they can continue to recruit in that manner the rest of D-III, the schools like Coldwater and Archbold, will never have a shot outside of an act of God. It is tough enough getting by East but if you achieve that tall task go play Harvest Prep. And Stritch was the better coached team yesterday by far. With the East talent it should not have been close nor should they have lost by as much as they did to all of the Cleveland area D-I's. Running through a D-III tournament for them is picking low hanging fruit if you ask me.

And as far as the TAAC is concerned it was a great year and fun to watch. Not too many kids get to say they made it to the Final 4 or Regional Finals. As a fan it is fun to follow.