The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Sig Hansen

David Bell being reported as the favorite for manager. Should know by tomorrow or the start of the World Series.

Of course we are cheap, hire local, wont commit to winning. We never had a chance with Girardi because of ownership. Hopefully he does a good job developing players.

Definitely not an exciting hire. Can't believe Ausmus even got a second interview. Thank God they didn't hire him

I'm not too upset with this decision and it really doesn't matter who's given the job if the club doesn't give them a roster to be successful. Kinda think the Reds got to their Top 3 and then got stuck with the only one who didn't decide to remove themselves. Kinda been a theme in this coaching search which leads me to believe ownership has no actually plan to be successful...and once people saw this, they said thanks for the chat and walked..

Definitely not an exciting hire. Can't believe Ausmus even got a second interview. Thank God they didn't hire him

He got the Angels job, wonder if the Reds offered and he turned them down. I don’t understand how Farrell wasn’t an option, he won a WS.

The Bell hire is uninspiring and probably meant to make people feel warm and fuzzy hiding a local guy.

I'm not too upset with this decision and it really doesn't matter who's given the job if the club doesn't give them a roster to be successful. Kinda think the Reds got to their Top 3 and then got stuck with the only one who didn't decide to remove themselves. Kinda been a theme in this coaching search which leads me to believe ownership has no actually plan to be successful...and once people saw this, they said thanks for the chat and walked..
Yeah, this hiring feels like an all in move with analytics driven baseball.

I dont think it is that way at all. If that was the case we would have more of that in the front office IMO. Castellini's cronies dont scream analytics. I wish what you say is true, time will tell.

To me it just screams cheap and they dont want to commit to winning in the near future. Not a good sign when they have been in rebuild mode with no significant improvement

I am not upset with the hire in a sense but more so with the owners and this rebuild. No real general plan IMO

Absolutely. It speaks to a cheap organization that has no plan and simply tapped the son of an internal senior front office guy. David Bell may be a great manager, but he won’t be successful as this team simply has no plan and no clue where to start.

Screams of cheapness. If they really had a plan and commitment to winning the rebuild wouldnt be where it is and Girardi wouldnt have walked out the door.

Hopefully Bell does well and has success but with this upper management group I have a hard time finding the silver lining in anything they do.

I hope Bell does bring analytics to the forefront but most importantly is to help recognize the talent available and develop it.

Screams of cheapness. If they really had a plan and commitment to winning the rebuild wouldnt be where it is and Girardi wouldnt have walked out the door.

Hopefully Bell does well and has success but with this upper management group I have a hard time finding the silver lining in anything they do.

I hope Bell does bring analytics to the forefront but most importantly is to help recognize the talent available and develop it.

Is there any reason to believe Bell is at the forefront of baseball analytics, besides the fluff piece Indiadad posted?

Castellini just said at the press conference they're going to have record payroll next year. I'm encouraged but have my doubts

Hopefully when Baileys contract expires they use that money to keep it a record year in spending.

If that is the case Girardi must not have been really interested and wanted his name out there for future openings and/or he didnt like the rebuild, plan, or commitment from the owners.

Is there any reason to believe Bell is at the forefront of baseball analytics, besides the fluff piece Indiadad posted?

He was hired by the Giants, an esteemed organization that gets it right more often than not, because of his analytics ability to run their player development using the wealth of analytic information available to them.

He was hired by the Giants, an esteemed organization that gets it right more often than not, because of his analytics ability to run their player development using the wealth of analytic information available to them.

So what did he accomplish there in terms of antalytics and improving the farm system?

Hopefully when Baileys contract expires they use that money to keep it a record year in spending.

If that is the case Girardi must not have been really interested and wanted his name out there for future openings and/or he didnt like the rebuild, plan, or commitment from the owners.

Girardi might be waiting for the Cubs job to open up next year. Maddon will be in his last year of his contract and Maddon and Epstein are supposedly not getting along all that well. If they don't get past the WC next year Maddon will probably be gone anyway. I'm surprised Girardi wasn't interested in the Angels

It just sucks the Reds had a legit opportunity to get Girardi and they let it slip away. So Cincinnati

If they throw it all at a guy like Keuchel I'll be majorly disappointed.

Right.....

I could see them bringing in a midlevel starter on a 1 year deal. Then extend Scooter and (God forbid) Billy with heavily front loaded contracts and proclaim "Record Payroll".

It would suck for 2019 but position them with a huge amount of payroll flexibility for 2020 and beyond.

They need two top level starters and another mid level starter in order to compete again. $20M is not going to cover that

Reds had a list of 90 (ninety) names at the beginning of the search. Lmao

That's only happening in 2020 when Homer is off the books like Arrogate said

$35M in pitching is possible if they move Billy and Scooter and add $18 M to the Payroll for an opening day payroll of ~$118M.

The question then becomes is their everyday 8 good enough to win?

during the playoffs they showed the top 7-8 FA pitching signees from last year and only 1 was even close to worth it and the others were just bad.

Spending money on SP isn't necessarily the panacea we are seeking