Great News for a Mars Colony!

Lol... garbage.

The moon is packed with a potential energy source, but we just didn't pursue it because of fiscal reasons.

Pretty shows how stupid the rest of your speel is lol.

There's a cost to it. The cheapening of the cost of flights to the Moon would have been necessary before the mining of Helium-3, on the massive scale that it requires, could have begun. Continuing to go there, continuing to fund our space program adequately would have resulted in a more rapid improvement of our spacecraft technology. Instead, that advancement has moved at a sluggish and pitiful pace.

You slideby?

There's a cost to it. The cheapening of the cost of flights to the Moon would have been necessary before the mining of Helium-3, on the massive scale that it requires, could have begun. Continuing to go there, continuing to fund our space program adequately would have resulted in a more rapid improvement of our spacecraft technology. Instead, that advancement has moved at a sluggish and pitiful pace.

You slideby?

That's the point. The travel to and from the moon hasn't been made economically feasible... but Mars will be? Not happening.

Slideby? I'm not sure I understand.

There's water buried under Mars! We can't breath there, or take the temps, but I'm sure we can drink the water!

Again, fantasy bs so nerds can get gubment money to keep their jobs. Can't come up with a viable returning space vehicle, but we gonna go colonize Mars!

Step away from the comic books.

You are throwing up minutia in the face of progress. The issues you cite are minor when taken against the amazing technological advances humans have repeatedly shown they are capable of.

When John Kennedy committed the USA to beating the Soviet Union to the moon in 1961 there was only a hazy understanding of how the hell we would bring our astronauts back. Yet 8 years later we landed a man on the moon and brought him back.

Take a step further back in time to 1903 and watch in amazement how the Wright brothers managed to get a contraption into the air with powered flight that lasted less than a minute and traveled 851 feet! Yet only 66 years later we were landing men on the moon. The explosive nature of human innovation is extraordinary.

How about flying an American fighter over Germany in 1945 and being amazed at the new German jet fighter. It was like Buck Rogers to the American military (those damn comic books) yet 25 years later millions of people were flying all around the world on jet airliners.

Flash back to the Civil War and grab an artillery officer of the Union Army and then let him watch what the atom bomb did to Hiroshima. That's 82 years between the thousands of rounds of artillery used at the siege of Vicksburg and the leveling of an entire city with a single bomb.

My question is how could anyone doubt that the human race will not only explore the solar system but colonize it to.

One reason might be that the human race won't be around long enough to do it.

Correct.

The ONLY thing IMO that will prevent our colonizing the solar system is the occurrence of some type of catastrophe in the neat future. Either we'll collapse in a heap due to nuclear war or there's an asteroid headed straight for the earth.

Hopefully Arnold Schwarzenegger is in good enough shape for a trip to the Red Planet. He can find and activate the ancient alien machine artifact that will melt that ice block and bring about a breathable atmosphere so we can start building condos there.

It's flummoxing how unbelievably short-sighted some people are.

Ultimately, humanity's survival will depend on its ability to leave the earth

I'm not completely against it, but I just find it funny that the people who are anti-climate change and suggest it's a boondoggle and we have so much time before any real problems occur are sounding the alarm for planetary exploration and colonization because an asteroids "certain" to come and I guess there's no better way to spend a gazillion dollars. :shrug:

Btw, I'm fully expecting a 4-5 paragraph rebuttal from lotr, but I'm hoping for 6+.

Hopefully Arnold Schwarzenegger is in good enough shape for a trip to the Red Planet. He can find and activate the ancient alien machine artifact that will melt that ice block and bring about a breathable atmosphere so we can start building condos there.

This made me laugh.

I'm not completely against it, but I just find it funny that the people who are anti-climate change and suggest it's a boondoggle and we have so much time before any real problems occur are sounding the alarm for planetary exploration and colonization because an asteroids "certain" to come and I guess there's no better way to spend a gazillion dollars. :shrug:

Btw, I'm fully expecting a 4-5 paragraph rebuttal from lotr, but I'm hoping for 6+.

:clap: cause, you know, astroid don't hit Mars, the sun won't expand and destroy it, and we have the extra cash right?

I am 100% supportive of the colonization of Mars. #ManifestDestiny

I don't foresee myself moving up there, I like the floating platforms in the ocean better, but I'd absolutely throw a couple mil at the project.

Sounds good, as long as I don't have to watch him pull that thing out of his nose again..........or look at that ugly little symbiot toad that lived in that other guy's chest again.

Sure. The sun will go red giant and consume earth. Eventually.

Priorities. Mars in on the list down there, somewhere.

It's amazing how myopic some people are. This Mars thing must be some form of earthly escapism or something...... :Ohno:

You do realize it will be billions of years before the sun begins its expansion right?

Oh, good. We've got a generation or two before we get really worried, then. Whew! I was worried!!

Why don't we try to accurately quantify man's actual role in climate change ? Work on that and get that sorted out.

In less than 100 years, we will have electromagnetic wave transportation (see Michio Kaku, Micheal Bluth and Einstein). Just need to make a transport mechanism, large vacuum tube. You'll be able to move from one point to another at almost the speed of light.

So the question is, do we waste all this money on Mars Missions and Ionic energy to move the space ships, when in less than 100 years you can take the trip in 10 seconds rather than 500 earth days. Maybe the technology for the transportation apparatus needed for the electromagnetic will be developed with the Mars missions? Maybe the effect on our bodies in space can be perfected? Maybe terraforming another world can be experimented on at Mars?

Maybe this technology will be necessary when we pinpoint goldie locks planets in other solar systems/galaxies/universes/star systems that aren't perfectly inhabitable. Maybe the coming techology works hand in hand.

On the other side, we haven't even explored 70% of our own world that is the ocean. We haven't even explored some of our land mass. But we want to go to a planet and build another civilization when we haven't even learned all about this one yet? Maybe the technology gained in outer space can be applied to exploring our ocean depths?

There are so many pros and cons - timing issues, money issues, taking care of mankind here and now/ or later.

You do realize it will be billions of years before the sun begins its expansion right?

Exactly. And the rush to put a few hundred people on Mars is what? Overcrowding on earth is the only problem we have in reality to all of our "woes". Start limiting human reproduction (not death panels either you freaking nutjobs) but simply a limit on how many kids people can have. Base it on oncome, land ownership, race... really dosent matter. If they had done such measures in Africa decades ago, we wouldn't have all these late night commercials begging for money to feed kids shouldn't be having in the first place.

You are a pretty lame devil if you can't appreciate a good death panel.

The last thing I want my kids to have to do is pay your medical bills for futile life support if your assets are squirreled away in trust and your kids are in denial that you are ready to go to your final "reward". I know what a bastard you are, even if they don't. I want some sober-minded death panel shutting you down if we're paying for the care just to keep your feet out of the fire. Buh-bye.

In less than 100 years, we will have electromagnetic wave transportation (see Michio Kaku, Micheal Bluth and Einstein). Just need to make a transport mechanism, large vacuum tube. You'll be able to move from one point to another at almost the speed of light.

So the question is, do we waste all this money on Mars Missions and Ionic energy to move the space ships, when in less than 100 years you can take the trip in 10 seconds rather than 500 earth days. Maybe the technology for the transportation apparatus needed for the electromagnetic will be developed with the Mars missions? Maybe the effect on our bodies in space can be perfected? Maybe terraforming another world can be experimented on at Mars?

Maybe this technology will be necessary when we pinpoint goldie locks planets in other solar systems/galaxies/universes/star systems that aren't perfectly inhabitable. Maybe the coming techology works hand in hand.

On the other side, we haven't even explored 70% of our own world that is the ocean. We haven't even explored some of our land mass. But we want to go to a planet and build another civilization when we haven't even learned all about this one yet? Maybe the technology gained in outer space can be applied to exploring our ocean depths?

There are so many pros and cons - timing issues, money issues, taking care of mankind here and now/ or later.

WTH are you talking about?

Exactly. And the rush to put a few hundred people on Mars is what? Overcrowding on earth is the only problem we have in reality to all of our "woes". Start limiting human reproduction (not death panels either you freaking nutjobs) but simply a limit on how many kids people can have. Base it on oncome, land ownership, race... really dosent matter. If they had done such measures in Africa decades ago, we wouldn't have all these late night commercials begging for money to feed kids shouldn't be having in the first place.

You're the one who brought it up. The fact the sun will expand eventually isn't the main force behind the initiative to colonize other planets. Neither are asteroid impacts.

....Start limiting human reproduction ......If they had done such measures in Africa decades ago, we wouldn't have all these late night commercials begging for money to feed kids shouldn't be having in the first place.

When predator populations get too dense here, rabies spreads, individuals die and territories don't overlap any longer, then rabies wanes. When we don't have people in Africa dying off from exposure to cold (because it's Africa) or starvation (because we feed them), for some reason AIDS appears.......hmmmm....

Oh, good. We've got a generation or two before we get really worried, then. Whew! I was worried!!

Why don't we try to accurately quantify man's actual role in climate change ? Work on that and get that sorted out.

We already have. You just don't like the results.

You are a pretty lame devil if you can't appreciate a good death panel.

The last thing I want my kids to have to do is pay your medical bills for futile life support if your assets are squirreled away in trust and your kids are in denial that you are ready to go to your final "reward". I know what a bastard you are, even if they don't. I want some sober-minded death panel shutting you down if we're paying for the care just to keep your feet out of the fire. Buh-bye.

Ah, but that's just it! The death panels end the suffering, and allow people to not look their choices right in the eye! Kids having to live with guilt, parents knowing the kids are stuffing them in homes! So utterly delicious! The sweaty, gritty face your life long sins aspect of it all!

Not to worry Cabby! We have room for those willing to sell mom to a death panel to save money!