Big Moe vs. Gilman

Back to the game- what do you guys think about the changes made to the D? I thought it was odd that the front four seemed to bow out in the middle. The two DTs were 4-5 yards off the ball and a couple yards beyond the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it was a blocking nightmare for the OL and allowed them to move to different gaps easier, but the middle run would've been more open. I didn't pay attention if we went back to a more traditional front in short yardage situations. We ran the 4-4 when I was there back in the day, but don't remember doing that with the DL. Then again I was a DB. Any thoughts?

It was pretty standard to have the tackles about 3 yards off the ball which allowed them to read and get lateral movement if necessary. The ends played a little tighter but upright to allow them to crash in or cover the outsides depending on the called play. It is very important therefore that the two inside backers can get up to the line to make the plays or scrape off. The tackles job is to keep the blocks off the backers.

[/B]

That would be correct.

But moe loses this one big. One returning starter on defense worth mentioning, no team speed and no legit qb. Icav. is nothing more than a glorified running back, who never shows up for big games, and watkins clocks in at about a 4.7 40.

This will be a laugher.

Icav, that glorified running back, threw two very pretty td passes. And I guess Watkins used all of his "4.7 40" speed, 'cause he made Gilmans too fast and too big defense look like jv (no offense to jv.) I do think we need to stop the middle run, as that was the only part of the game that Moe struggled with. Gilmans best runs by the qb were set up almost like a draw play, but when they tried their wedge we all heard about Moe shut it down pretty effectively. Lol the wedge... I was waiting for the old "student body right" next.

Hey moejoe83,

Nice game by your boy. I know you were most likely grinning from ear to ear Sunday night. :thumb:

Icav, that glorified running back, threw two very pretty td passes. And I guess Watkins used all of his "4.7 40" speed, 'cause he made Gilmans too fast and too big defense look like jv (no offense to jv.) I do think we need to stop the middle run, as that was the only part of the game that Moe struggled with. Gilmans best runs by the qb were set up almost like a draw play, but when they tried their wedge we all heard about Moe shut it down pretty effectively. Lol the wedge... I was waiting for the old "student body right" next.

according to the hound, Watkins is a confirmed 4.4 40 and Moe now has 4 offensive inemen over 300 pounds.

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=320443&page=8

priceless
:laugh:

Lol you couuldnt make this stuff up! I was reading some of the junk The Hound was saying over on their "Yappi". What he failed to tell the Gilman faithful was that Moe football teams are usually packed with State calliber wrestlers, rugby players, basketball, baseball, ect... Yeah, "Moe doesnt have the athletes to compete with Gilman." Speaking of athletes... I didnt get his name, but the Moe reciever that laid out for that td catch in the corner gets my vote for play of the game. Laid out, drug one foot then two... TD! The Moe boys played solid smart football and IMO looked very promising. Another good yr at the least. Congrats on good game young men.

ahhh schucks....

I missed the game =(

Any chance of a replay?

ESPN3 has it on demand...you gotta have a username and password from your sat or cable provider...but can be done easily. I watched it last night...and I hate to tell greyhoundalum...but, Moe won again. What really amazed me, that against the best front seven in the country, we had 21 first downs. GBM!

ESPN3 has it on demand...you gotta have a username and password from your sat or cable provider...but can be done easily. I watched it last night...and I hate to tell greyhoundalum...but, Moe won again. What really amazed me, that against the best front seven in the country, we had 21 first downs. GBM!

Thanks JF,

Yeah, Greyhoundsalums got a good ole dose of reality... reminds me of the Brynes game in 06'. Moe started the season 7# in the city and Moe went up 21 to zip in a hurry and hearing the Brynes color commentator...'Moellers only 7th in the city? WOW...and we though SC HS FB was good...we have no clue' one of those 'oh gee...i guess we don't know.'moments

I'm watching it right now at work....don't tell my boss

Good to see we're still poundin' the rock

Those DT alignments on the defense look soo.....alien LOL

GBM

Thanks JF,

Yeah, Greyhoundsalums got a good ole dose of reality... reminds me of the Brynes game in 06'. Moe started the season 7# in the city and Moe went up 21 to zip in a hurry and hearing the Brynes color commentator...'Moellers only 7th in the city? WOW...and we though SC HS FB was good...we have no clue' one of those 'oh gee...i guess we don't know.'moments

I'm watching it right now at work....don't tell my boss

Good to see we're still poundin' the rock

Those DT alignments on the defense look soo.....alien LOL

GBM

I think we need to come up with a name for that Defense...it is not your Daddy's 4-4. GBM!

First, let me preface this by saying I'm a huge X fan and alumnus...BUT I'm proud of the way Moeller played and repped Ohio and Cinci. I know its the first game but they looked like Moeller of old. Gilman has a TON of talent and resources so it was impressive to see big Moe beat them up with some good old fashioned Ohio power football:thumb:

I talked to two Gilman coaches after the game and they were blown away with the size and physicality of Moeller. I was too! Former DeMatha coach Bill McGregor said he had a flashback from when Moe walloped his team at Nippert about two decades ago. It's neat to see the respect and admiration they have for Ohio football ... Very classy, and congratulatory group of guys. I also thought Rodenberg was quite classy and humble after the game.

Moe's line is massive and no slobs. Alex Gall had a great game. I can see why all the Florida schools were after him, 6'5 295 ( Miami, FL commit), he plays with some fire under him and finishes blocks. Big, solid kid that should project at right tackle or guard for Miami. He put Gilman's Five star DT, Henry Poggi, on his butt a couple times and was blowing d-lineman out and getting to the next level all night. Very impressive. No way is he a 3 star, he's a 4 star prospect all the way. Also, I thought, 72, Chambliss? is a very good lookin line prospect along with just about everyone else on their line! Moeller has two tight ends about 6'5 and 6'6. I know ones commited to Indiana and I thought the rangy kid, #89?, had him self a great game. Also, Northwestern got a steal with RB Keith Watkins. He is another guy that is rated too low and he might have been the best athlete on a field filled with a ton of them. He is tough, sees lanes, has great cutting ability and some speed. Great player. I can't believe anybody have anything bad to say about Iacovone. The kid is a gutsy player and team leader. Moeller is very talented on offense. Defensively i thought they played pretty well, but they need some help in the middle. I realize its a new scheme they are running, but I thought they played very physical and sound most the night despite that. Shane jones is very nice, is he Greg Jones brother Moe fans? Moeller has a giant Safety #9?, he looks good and I thought he played. Heck, Moeller kicker might be their MVP. I've never seen a high school kicker that cut, and he has a leg on him. They look to have a complete team and coaching staff.

Moeller is going to be very hard to contend with if this game was a preview of coming attractions. If they can nail down their defense then they are going to be one of the best teams in the country. Congrats to Big Moe ( I might be softening myself up since I may be a Moeller parent in the future lol)!!;)

Moe looked as good as I think they could have in week one against a team that is going to win a lot of games.

Love the way the back for Moe ran.

What I took from watching film on Gillman, that of last years films, and this years two scrimmages (one of them, all passing).
1. With the 6 players that play both ways, i believe that this will be Gillman's biggest downfall as a team. It is very, very hard to keep up with Moeller's hurry up offense, because it never slows down, unless timeouts or injuries occur. I'm very positive the fellow GCL members will agree that it's one of the better traits on our offense.
2. After watching film on Cochrille, i think that he is a good body, but don't think he makes the right decisions a lot and really struggled at hitting wide open WR multiple times through watching film. Also i realize he was featured on the Elite11, but that is not a game. That was the difference between Ricky Davis and Spencer Iacovone last year. Ricky would beat Spencer in those type of competitions every time, but Spencer was a gamer, and he showed his true color when he stepped foot on the field. All respect towards both of them. Ricky is one of my good friends and so is Spencer, and Ricky played lights out in the OT win last night against Wyoming so congrats to him on that.
3. Greyhoundalum; you mention the speed of Gillman's defense and it overwhelming us, but i just don't see it. Their speed is just the same as X's, Elders, and 95% of the other teams that the GCLS teams play week to week.
4.Pogi is very big and i'm sure will give us fits at some times, but it seems to me as he wears out rather quickly and is always walking around after the play. When Moeller sees that, we will take advantage and turn up the tempo tremendously.
5. It also seems to me as the Linebackers and D Line do not make reads, and just go by the wayside and fly upfield no matter what, and with the read option we run, that will also give Gillman trouble.
6. Keith Watkins will never run for his life, and niether will Iacovone. They are a couple of the most competitive kids on the field, and will never shy away from a hit. Watch film on them, watch their hudl, you will see what i mean.
7. My final point, the GCLS is the best football in the country.
Go Big Moe!

Well done bro...dogalum ain't around to give you props???

Iacavone is one of those kids that is going to be a great HS player but will be ignored by the "Big" schools because he's an inch short, ten pounds light, or a tenth of a second slow. All he knows how to do is to lead his team to a win when the game is on the line.

That 3d and 4 play in the 3d qtr where he was stopped for a loss- broke the tackle and dove for the first down was the play of the game. Gilman's spirit was broken and their rally was over.

Just think of:

Elder-Bolger
Colerain- Sean Jones
St. X- the QB in 07 (sorry name escapes me).

Iacavone is one of those kids that is going to be a great HS player but will be ignored by the "Big" schools because he's an inch short, ten pounds light, or a tenth of a second slow. All he knows how to do is to lead his team to a win when the game is on the line.

That 3d and 4 play in the 3d qtr where he was stopped for a loss- broke the tackle and dove for the first down was the play of the game. Gilman's spirit was broken and their rally was over.

Just think of:

Elder-Bolger
Colerain- Sean Jones
St. X- the QB in 07 (sorry name escapes me).

He is a baseball player. Committed to Marshall...you are right and it happens way too often...but what is really strange, as Greyhoundalum pointed out and according to him, they had 20 D1 football players on that team...20! So, how do you nicely point out to him that 4 of our 5 touchdowns were scored by future college baseball players? Of course, he is no where to be found to defend himself...possibly the best hit and run in the history of Yappi. GBM!

He is a baseball player. Committed to Marshall...you are right and it happens way too often...but what is really strange, as Greyhoundalum pointed out and according to him, they had 20 D1 football players on that team...20! So, how do you nicely point out to him that 4 of our 5 touchdowns were scored by future college baseball players? Of course, he is no where to be found to defend himself...possibly the best hit and run in the history of Yappi. GBM!

Now that is funny. great post. The Hound is AWOL for sure. I do wish Gilman luck, we need the points from their wins. Unreal the first 3 games they play, what were they thinking? I guess 20 D1's will carry you thru that gauntlet?

Now that is funny. great post. The Hound is AWOL for sure. I do wish Gilman luck, we need the points from their wins. Unreal the first 3 games they play, what were they thinking? I guess 20 D1's will carry you thru that gauntlet?

He's back on the Baltimore site, and has been reduced to crying about the refs.

:laugh:
I'm not at all. You were saying that Gilman's performances have no merit. Moeller will be a super tough team. I have seen last years tape. But from that, I don't think they have enough speed to contain Gilman. I think it will be a tough game that Gilman wins. I know Moeller has a really good offense but Gulman's defense is lights out and very very big and fast. I would a lot more confident of they didn't have 2 players hurt but still think they have enough to contain Moeller.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :hello: :thumb: :banana: :party: Nice call.

Dude was the biggest "crash and burn" poster in Yappi History. :laugh:

I hear he was rescued, brought to a halfway house and was adopted Monday by a nice family in the D.C. area, not far from where his litter was born. His dreams of catching the elusive rabbit are over. Just like those of winning last Sunday were snuffed in the 2nd quarter.

What are you smoking?
Mighty Moe is 3-4 in its last 7 games.
So ever since Rodey's National Championship proclamation old Spence knows how to lead his team to defeat more often than victory.
I sense another comical Moe season is in store for us on Yappi. :laugh:

What are you smoking?
So ever since Rodey's National Championship proclamation old Spence knows how to lead his team to defeat more often than victory.

35,000 post in the past 6 months. don't you have anything else to do in your life but troll these threads? Honestly, go to class , get a job or maybe even get a date :rolleyes:

What are you smoking?

And 10-4 going back to the start of last season. Nice selective math that you are using there. Using your logic, Aaron Rodgers must not be very much of a leader. He lost 2 of his last 4.

Considering that the 4 teams that they lost to were Trinity, Lakewood St. Ed, St. X, and Indy Cathedral, I'd say they did all right.

Last edited:
35,000 post in the past 6 months. don't you have anything else to do in your life but troll these threads? Honestly, go to class , get a job or maybe even get a date :rolleyes:

Yeah ReJected, get a date. I will even supply the banjo music and squealing pig for your pleasure.

And 10-4 going back to the start of last season. Nice selective math that you are using there. Using your logic, Aaron Rodgers must not be very much of a leader. He lost 2 of his last 4.

Considering that the 4 teams that they lost to were Trinity, Lakewood St. Ed, St. X, and Indy Cathedral, I'd say they did all right.

You're right it was selective math.

I selected the time point when Rodey proclaimed the Mighty Crusaders best high school team in the nation and the QB who "all he does is lead his team to victory when the game is on the line" has led his team to a 3-4 record since.

Facts are stubborn things boys, but by all means please continue the masquerade like you did following last years season opening win over Hamiltucky.

With the Moe delusion starting early again it promises to be another amusing year on Yappi :laugh:

Yeah ReJected, get a date. I will even supply the banjo music and squealing pig for your pleasure.

Don't disrespect a pig like that. It would be an intellectual mismatch, and you'd end up having to tell the pig "I really thought you guys would hit it off..." and it would be all awkward between you and the pig.