St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

I feel the opposite; I hate "Iggy." It is as aggravating to me as "St. Edwards" must be to St. Edward fans. With "St. I" you know that the writer is from Cincinnati., where I think that there is a St. Ignatius parish and grade school that is referred to as "St. I." " Iggy" seems almost derogatory.

I agree. I despise the reference to St. Ignatius as "Iggy". I suppose that comes from my grade school days when my 7th and 8th grade teacher was a Sister Mary Ignatius. The kids referred to her as Sr. Iggy, and it was not meant in an endearing way. I would much rather have my high school referred to as "St. I" or "St. I's".

Since no one else was starting this one, I thought I would use my first post to do so.

Starters (key backups) anyone? My uninformed guesses (I'm not as familiar with rising seniors so please help out here)

QB - LaManna (P. Mahoney/D. Black)
RBs - McVey (Vitale)
FB - Willis, Jr. ?
WRs - Hennessy, Siragusa, Zingale ? ? (LaVelle, Hyland)
OL - Franko, Cray, Byrne ? ? (Rolf at C?)
TE - E. Black ?

DL - Kavalec, Gawlik, Katusha (pretty strong group here!)
LB - Bendokaitis, Berger ?
DB - Fanning, Baker, Hennessy, Willis, Jr. ? ?

P - ?
K - Colella
KR - Hennessy, Fabian, Montgomery

So, no KO returns for TMac next season?

Off season Discussion

So, since its the off season and there really is nothing to talk about, I figured we could have a little fun...

The following is every team Ignatius has a losing record to:
1. Akron Hoban – 0-1-0
2. Akron Saint Vincent-Saint Mary – 0-1-0
3. Baldwin-Wallace College Freshmen – 0-1-0
4. Bellevue – 0-1-0
5. Cathedral Latin – 19-26-6
6. Cincinnati Saint Xavier – 8-10-0
7. Cleveland East Tech – 3-6-0
8. Euclid Shore – 0-1-0
9. Lima Senior – 0-1-0
10. Pittsburgh (PA) Penn Hills – 0-2-0
11. Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco Prep – 0-1-0
12. Tiffen Junior Home – 0-5-0
13. Toledo Scott – 0-1-0
14. Wellington – 0-1-0
15. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney – 0-2-0
16. Youngstown Rayen – 0-1-0
17. Youngstown Ursuline – 0-1-0

(I think I got them all...)

Which one do you think is more, err, embarrassing? :shrug:

Last edited:
I was a little surprised to see that we have a winning record over Benny, but we do...something like 17-14-1. Surprisingly, we had a good run against Benny in the 30's. Then they mostly owned us in the 50's and 60's.

Jacob Bell announces his retirement. Congrats to him. Anyone from Ignatius have a better NFL career than Jacob Bell? Maybe he and Chris Hovan neck and neck?

I was a little surprised to see that we have a winning record over Benny, but we do...something like 17-14-1. Surprisingly, we had a good run against Benny in the 30's. Then they mostly owned us in the 50's and 60's.

1. 1929: St. Ignatius 32, Benedictine 0 (Nov. 29th)
2. 1931: St. Ignatius 19, Benedictine 13 (Nov. 6th)
3. 1932: St. Ignatius 32, Benedictine 0 (Oct. 8th)
4. 1934: Benedictine 7, St. Ignatius 6 (Nov. 2nd)
5. 1935: St. Ignatius 27, Benedictine 6 (Oct. 25th)
6. 1936: St. Ignatius 12, Benedictine 7 (Oct. 25th)
7. 1942: St. Ignatius 25, Benedictine 7 (Oct. 18th)
8. 1943: St. Ignatius 13, Benedictine 0 (Nov. 21st)
9. 1944: St. Ignatius 2, Benedictine 0 (Oct. 15th)
10. 1945: St. Ignatius 34, Benedictine 19 (Oct. 21st)
11. 1946: Benedictine 26, St. Ignatius 0 (Oct. 20th)
12. 1947: Benedictine 19, St. Ignatius 6 (Oct. 19th)
13. 1948: Benedictine 6, St. Ignatius 3 (Oct. 23rd)
14. 1950: TIE St. Ignatius 14, Benedictine 14 (Nov. 25th) – Charity Game.
15. 1952: Benedictine 26, St. Ignatius 18 (Nov. 14th) – Charity Game.
16. 1955: Benedictine 47, St. Ignatius 6 (Nov. 24th) – Charity Game.
17. 1956: Benedictine 19, St. Ignatius 7 (Nov. 22nd) – Charity Game.
18. 1957: Benedictine 27, St. Ignatius 3 (Nov. 28th) – Charity Game.
19. 1962: St. Ignatius 6, Benedictine 0 (Nov. 22nd) – Charity Game.
20. 1963: Benedictine 30, St. Ignatius 16 (Nov. 28th) – Charity Game.
21. 1964: St. Ignatius 48, Benedictine 6 (Nov. 26th) – Charity Game.
22. 1969: Benedictine 18, St. Ignatius 7 (Nov. 15th) – Senate Championship Game.
23. 1970: Benedictine 38, St. Ignatius 12 (Nov. 28th) – Senate Championship Game.
24. 1982: St. Ignatius 20, Benedictine 13 (Oct. 29th)
25. 1983 Benedictine 22, St. Ignatius 20 (Oct. 29th)
26. 1984: Benedictine 16, St. Ignatius 14 (Oct. 27th)
27. 1985: St. Ignatius 34, Benedictine 32 (Oct. 26th)
28. 1986: Benedictine 27, St. Ignatius 0 (Oct. 24th)
29. 1987: St. Ignatius 15, Benedictine 7 (Oct. 31st)
30. 1988: St. Ignatius 40, Benedictine 0 (Oct. 28th)
31. 1989: St. Ignatius 32, Benedictine 14 (Oct. 21st)
32. 1990: St. Ignatius 19, Benedictine 7 (Oct. 19th)
33. 2004: St. Ignatius 43, Benedictine 6 (Aug. 28th)

St. Ignatius leads series 19-14-1, all time.
Benedictine leads Charity Game/Senate Championship series 7-2-1.

St. Ignatius – 864 points.
Benedictine – 479 points.

Will never forget that last game where Robby Parris made a bundle of highlight reel catches. He would have had every receiving record had
he not had the big injury.

Didn't realize it, but Ignatius has played Benedictine at least once every decade since the 1920s. Odds of them being on the schedule in the next 8 years?

Didn't realize it, but Ignatius has played Benedictine at least once every decade since the 1920s. Odds of them being on the schedule in the next 8 years?

There's actually a very different story apparent in these scores. Ignatius and Benedictine did not play a regular season game from 1948 to 1982. My ancestors tell me that there was a fair amount of bad blood between the schools going back into the 40's. I know that they were East Senate and we were West Senate (and played frequently in the Charity Game), but Ignatius and Latin (East Senate) played a regular season game almost every year from 1945 until Latin went out of business.

Great job Ignatian AMDG on the game scores with Benedictine. That's a very interesting point that these teams have played each other for so many consecutive decades.

However, I did want to point out one mistake.

In the Bengals Roar football program, the score of the 1950 game is listed as Benedictine 14, St. Ignatius 14. You may want to make that correction. :thumb:

CatAlum,
I had heard stories from some old-timers who did not recall the exact circumstances of some bad blood between the schools and I think it had something to do with a transfer student from St. Ignatius to Benedictine and his resulting ineligilbity.

As far as the Bengals playing St. Ignatius later this decade, I have mixed feelings. One part of me says yes, because taht would mean that the Bengals program is on the upswing. But I sure don't want to endure another 43-6 loss.

Bad blood cannot begin to describe the relationship between Auggie Bossu and John Wirtz. There's a picture in the 1965 Ignatian of the handshake between those two after the 1964 Charity Game. It makes the handshake between Bellichek and Ryan look like a lovefeast.

Bad blood cannot begin to describe the relationship between Auggie Bossu and John Wirtz. There's a picture in the 1965 Ignatian of the handshake between those two after the 1964 Charity Game. It makes the handshake between Bellichek and Ryan look like a lovefeast.

Yes, there's a copy of that photo in Tim Hudak's book. Auggie Bossu wasn't quite the gentleman that John Wirtz was!

Yes, there's a copy of that photo in Tim Hudak's book. Auggie Bossu wasn't quite the gentleman that John Wirtz was!

Auggie was a gentleman, but, if I remember correctly,he thought that Wirtz piled on the score that year in response to the play of one of the Benedictine players the previous year, which Wirtz thought was less than clean.

You're absolutely correct in that. In the 63' Charity game, Bossu ordered or allowed his DL Yacknow to criminally assault QB Dowling. There were numerous roughing the passer calls, and many more should have been called, before Yacknow finally knocked Dowling out of the game. Frankly, what Yacknow did was a criminal assault, with Bossu's implied consent. All I can say about the game next year was that Ignatius scored with about two minutes to go, making the score 48-6. Wirtz ordered an onside kick which Ignatius recovered. Wirtz then sent the whole first string back into the game
and called for gadget plays, including a halfback pass and a flea-flicker, in an attempt to get another TD. So yes, Wirtz was definitely trying to run up the score on Bossu for the actions Bossu condoned in the prior year's game.

You're absolutely correct in that. In the 63' Charity game, Bossu ordered or allowed his DL Yacknow to criminally assault QB Dowling. There were numerous roughing the passer calls, and many more should have been called, before Yacknow finally knocked Dowling out of the game. Frankly, what Yacknow did was a criminal assault, with Bossu's implied consent. All I can say about the game next year was that Ignatius scored with about two minutes to go, making the score 48-6. Wirtz ordered an onside kick which Ignatius recovered. Wirtz then sent the whole first string back into the game
and called for gadget plays, including a halfback pass and a flea-flicker, in an attempt to get another TD. So yes, Wirtz was definitely trying to run up the score on Bossu for the actions Bossu condoned in the prior year's game.

The 1955 Charity game, which was Bossu's first as the Bengals head coach, was a 47-6 shellacking of the Wildcats, which I'm sure was in the back of Coach Wirtz's mind as well. While the legend of that onside kick after the final Ignatius touchdown is fact, it is also fact that junior quarterback Bob Rannigan took the reins after the onside kick, and was thrown for a loss on first down, then ran a sweep for about 10 yards on second down. The clock expired prior to the next snap, but Rannigan took the ball and ran it off the field and gave it to Brian Dowling, who then flipped it to the ref (who had been chasing Rannigan). PM me if you'd like to see the film of the fourth quarter, as Fr. Sullivan lent it to me back in 1979, and I made a VHS copy.

The 1955 Charity game, which was Bossu's first as the Bengals head coach, was a 47-6 shellacking of the Wildcats, which I'm sure was in the back of Coach Wirtz's mind as well. While the legend of that onside kick after the final Ignatius touchdown is fact, it is also fact that junior quarterback Bob Rannigan took the reins after the onside kick, and was thrown for a loss on first down, then ran a sweep for about 10 yards on second down. The clock expired prior to the next snap, but Rannigan took the ball and ran it off the field and gave it to Brian Dowling, who then flipped it to the ref (who had been chasing Rannigan). PM me if you'd like to see the film of the fourth quarter, as Fr. Sullivan lent it to me back in 1979, and I made a VHS copy.

I thought for sure that there was an attempted halfback pass from Grace (a much better receiver than passer) to Dowling long downfield. But then I'm really old and the memory is slipping. I'll have to defer to you if you have the actual film. And as an aside on Fr. Sullivan, the Ignatius AD at the time, I had him for religion the following semester. I don't know how many times we got him to send for a projector and show the film of the '64 game. It always made him smile.

I thought for sure that there was an attempted halfback pass from Grace (a much better receiver than passer) to Dowling long downfield. But then I'm really old and the memory is slipping. I'll have to defer to you if you have the actual film. And as an aside on Fr. Sullivan, the Ignatius AD at the time, I had him for religion the following semester. I don't know how many times we got him to send for a projector and show the film of the '64 game. It always made him smile.

The Grace to Dowling pass was in the first half, if I recall. Fr. Sullivan played the film for our class a few times as well......I think he also kept the trophy in his room for the entire year!!

Got me to thinking of Fr.Sullivan, sash on cassock at hip-hop level, looking down from up there on the last couple decades or so of Wildcat football and smiling ear to ear.:thumb:

Got me to thinking of Fr.Sullivan, sash on cassock at hip-hop level, looking down from up there on the last couple decades or so of Wildcat football and smiling ear to ear.:thumb:

Fr. Sullivan was one of the best! I sure miss him. He used to come down to the switchboard and visit me when I was working late.

Last edited: