Is Eli Manning a Hall of Famer at this point?

Is Eli Manning a Hall of Famer at this point?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They didn't win squat for the first 40 years of their existence. They were a punch line.

That is true, but since the formation of the NFL as we now know it (the AFL/NFL merger), they have the best performance numbers. That's been 42 years now. Their poor decades are as ancient of history as when the Browns were one of the NFL's best franchises.

That is true, but since the formation of the NFL as we now know it (the AFL/NFL merger), they have the best performance numbers. That's been 42 years now. Their poor decades are as ancient of history as when the Browns were one of the NFL's best franchises.
I'm old enough to remember the league before the merger. So my view is a bit skewed by the entire history of the league.

I'm old enough to remember the league before the merger. So my view is a bit skewed by the entire history of the league.

They were astonishingly bad from 1934 to 1972, with only 8 winning seasons and two playoff trips in all those years. That's what makes their 1972 until now success so bizarre and remarkable. I detest the Steelers, but I admire what they finally built.

Then you are also old enough to understand that today's QB's and WR's couldn't put up today's monster stats under the pre-1978 rules. That's why it is so hard to judge say Jim Kelly against Roman Gabriel. Both great QB's in their time, but playing under an entirely different set of rules.

The helmet catch itself has nothing to do with Eli. Now the throw and the ability to not go down when hit was amazing and all Eli. But the catch itself will always be Tyree's thing.

the helmet catch is just the name of the play but I think what happen before the catch was greater than the catch itself.

Like I said before "I think the heroic fight and throw by Eli Manning was greater than David Tyree's catch itself."

Eli Manning= mouthbreather. He looks like he is missing a chromosome

eli.jpg

No, and I don't like that because your team wins a Super Bowl you should be considered a Hall of Famer. He has been an average quarterback every year up until this year. Let's see some more elite seasons first

How many elite seasons? Because Aaron Rodgers, who this forum loves like a local hero, has had maybe two elite seasons and one ring. If he retired today, would he be a HOF'er?

I don't think so recently. He's only played what, 3 seasons? No matter how good you are you can't get into the HOF with only 3 years of playing.

How many elite seasons? Because Aaron Rodgers, who this forum loves like a local hero, has had maybe two elite seasons and one ring. If he retired today, would he be a HOF'er?

Nope, never said Rodgers was a Hall of Famer today, but he will be in the future if he stays healthy. Has been elite for three consecutive years. Career QB rating over 100. He was the best I've ever seen for a single season, and I still fully expect to consider him the best QB I've ever seen by the end of his career.

Eli Manning's first 4 season were Colt McCoy like ... the next 3 where good/not great (with one really good playoff run). This year was really his only really good year ... Just because the Giants won two Super Bowls in that time does not make him an all-time great ... he still has work to do to be in the HOF. Even last year he led the NFL in turnovers.

Eli Manning's first 4 season were Colt McCoy like ...

Except Manning is GOOD. Otherwise...Not. Even. Close.

Manning's worst year of the four he had 3200+ yards passing, 21 TD's & 20 INT's with his highs being 3700+ yards, 24 TD's and an interception "low" of 10.

Even with weapons McCoy doesn't come close to 3700 yards passing and his projected TD's for this year, had he played all 16 games, was 17.

Manning's numbers were a bit better than "Colt McCoy like." Their skillsets are completely different.

One thing that must be considered is the system each QB plays within. Manning and Big Ben throw a lot of picks, and so did Marino and Elway, because they QB in a vertical stretch system, where their throws are all medium and deep. It's high risk/high reward. You're going to get some picks in exchange for those long backbreaking bombs. Rodgers and Brees are in more QB-friendly offenses, so they are going to be less prone to picks, and their completion percentages will tend to be higher due to all the short and medium passes that are a staple of their offenses. I'm not going to diminish Rodgers and Brees' accomplishments, because they've been prolific, but I'm also not going to penalize Manning and Big Ben for being in offenses that are not so stat friendly.

Eli Manning's first 4 season were Colt McCoy like ... the next 3 where good/not great (with one really good playoff run). This year was really his only really good year ... Just because the Giants won two Super Bowls in that time does not make him an all-time great ... he still has work to do to be in the HOF. Even last year he led the NFL in turnovers.

Except they weren't.

if he ended his career right now (by retiring or injury), then no. if he is as consistent as he's been the last 2-3 years for like 4-5 more years (doesn't need to win another post-season game, either), then yes.

Nope, never said Rodgers was a Hall of Famer today, but he will be in the future if he stays healthy. Has been elite for three consecutive years. Career QB rating over 100. He was the best I've ever seen for a single season, and I still fully expect to consider him the best QB I've ever seen by the end of his career.

I'm not sure Rodgers was the best QB in a single season. He was on pace, but he was barely better than Brees and Brady this season, and I still think Manning's 2004 and Brady's 2007 seasons were superior.

QB rating is worthless and I have no idea why you guys continue to use it.

So most of you feel that Eli has more work to do. Well here is my next few questions then. If Eli has proven to be an Elite quarterback to most of the fans and media, doesn't all elite quarterbacks go into the HOF? Then why isn't he ready now? Also, are a players stats the sole measuring factor whether or not he gets into the HOF or are there other factors that play a part in getting into the HOF?

IMO there are other factors such as: how much a player contributes to the sport. Someone like Tebow for instance; his stats are horrible but yet he has expanded the NFL fan base to people who are not normally NFL fans in essense has contributed more to the sport than someone like Matt Ryan. Its kinda like the Joe Namath effect. Joe Namath wasnt all that but he brought the NFL to mainstream with his charasmatic ways. So IMO Namath should be a Hall of Famer not for his stats, but what he did for the sport.

Last edited: