Is Eli Manning a Hall of Famer at this point?

Is Eli Manning a Hall of Famer at this point?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So most of you feel that Eli has more work to do. Well here is my next few questions then. If Eli has proven to be an Elite quarterback to most of the fans and media, doesn't all elite quarterbacks go into the HOF? Then why isn't he ready now? Also, are a players stats the sole measuring factor whether or not he gets into the HOF or are there other factors that play a part in getting into the HOF?

IMO there are other factors such as: how much a player contributes to the sport. Someone like Tebow for instance; his stats are horrible but yet he has expanded the NFL fan base to people who are not normally NFL fans in essense has contributed more to the sport than someone like Matt Ryan. Its kinda like the Joe Namath effect. Joe Namath wasnt all that but he brought the NFL to mainstream with his charasmatic ways. So IMO Namath should be a Hall of Famer not for his stats, but what he did for the sport.

Depends on your definition of elite. But nonetheless, no. You really think he should get in because he had one elite year?

Depends on your definition of elite. But nonetheless, no. You really think he should get in because he had one elite year?

Look at his body of work compared to QB's who are already there, and played under basically the same rules as he has -- Elway, Marino, Aikman, Jim Kelly...

He's already got the numbers and accomplishments to make the HOF. He'll probably tack on a few more good years, just to punctuate it.

Do you guys think Kurt Warner is a HOF'er?

He'll get in, but I'm a lot more iffy on him than I am on some other QB's. He has a giant hole of nothing in the middle of his career, with two three year periods of fantastic production wrapped around the dead zone. Very strange career to evaluate. Plus, he didn't even play in the NFL until he was nearly 30 years old.

Warner is a tough call for me. I personally would have him in but I don't know if he makes it. Doesn't he have like the 3 highest yardage performances in the Super Bowl or something crazy like that?

I'm with you guys. Personally, I put him in because of his Super Bowl numbers plus he was NFL MVP once, and an MVP award is a nice thing to have on your resume. But I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get in, or if it takes him several tries.

Except Manning is GOOD. Otherwise...Not. Even. Close.

Manning's worst year of the four he had 3200+ yards passing, 21 TD's & 20 INT's with his highs being 3700+ yards, 24 TD's and an interception "low" of 10.

Even with weapons McCoy doesn't come close to 3700 yards passing and his projected TD's for this year, had he played all 16 games, was 17.

Manning's numbers were a bit better than "Colt McCoy like." Their skillsets are completely different.

Both players 1st two years
McCoy 21 g -- 58% comp % --- 4,309 yards -- 20 TD -- 20 int -- 74.6 QBR
E Manning 23 g -- 52% comp --- 4,805 yards -- 30 TD -- 26 Int --- 71.2 QBR

Looks pretty close to me ... and by the way Eli next two years QBRs were 77.0 and 73.9 . So if McCoy stunk so did Eli!

I know you hate McCoy ... But stats don't lie ... I'm not saying McCoy will ever reach Eli's level, but early in his career, Eli was not much better. That was the point I was trying to make.

I'm not sure Rodgers was the best QB in a single season. He was on pace, but he was barely better than Brees and Brady this season, and I still think Manning's 2004 and Brady's 2007 seasons were superior.

QB rating is worthless and I have no idea why you guys continue to use it.

I don't really care about his QB rating, or who had the better statistical season. Rodgers this year was the best QB I've SEEN with my eyes

So most of you feel that Eli has more work to do. Well here is my next few questions then. If Eli has proven to be an Elite quarterback to most of the fans and media, doesn't all elite quarterbacks go into the HOF? Then why isn't he ready now? Also, are a players stats the sole measuring factor whether or not he gets into the HOF or are there other factors that play a part in getting into the HOF?

IMO there are other factors such as: how much a player contributes to the sport. Someone like Tebow for instance; his stats are horrible but yet he has expanded the NFL fan base to people who are not normally NFL fans in essense has contributed more to the sport than someone like Matt Ryan. Its kinda like the Joe Namath effect. Joe Namath wasnt all that but he brought the NFL to mainstream with his charasmatic ways. So IMO Namath should be a Hall of Famer not for his stats, but what he did for the sport.

2.5/8

Fair enough. I'd rank him 3rd or 4th, but for a lot of the season he was competing for #1.

Who would you have at 1, 2, 3, if you have Rodgers at 4?

Several QB's had amazing seasons, but I don't think any of them were better than Rodgers. Brees, Brady and Stafford could be in the discussion, but Rodgers was on even a higher level IMO.

Rodgers was clearly #1 this season, but I was talking about individual seasons in NFL history for a QB, at least since I've been watching football.

Rodgers was clearly #1 this season, but I was talking about individual seasons in NFL history for a QB, at least since I've been watching football.

Ahh, okay. I'd have to think about it. QB's had it much tougher before 1978, but I wouldn't evaluate any QB before then anyway. They also have it a little easier today than even the recent past, due to tightened coverage rules and pass rush rules. The NFL wants video game numbers, though, so I'd bet they will keep looking for ways to make it even easier for QB's to put up monster numbers.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning's 2004 certainly stands out in recent seasons. Very comparable to Rodgers and Brees this season.

Dan Marino's 1984 is especially impressive, due to it being in a more difficult era to put up monster numbers, and the fact he did it in a vertical stretch offense...so he had no dink and dunks to improve his stats.

"Eli Manning is truly an inspiration. He proved that if you work really hard and your older, more talented brother breaks his neck you CAN succeed."

- Daniel Tosh

I know you hate McCoy ... But stats don't lie ... I'm not saying McCoy will ever reach Eli's level, but early in his career, Eli was not much better. That was the point I was trying to make.

Eli was absolutely horrible when he replaced Kurt Warner and didn't exactly light it up his 2nd year.

Fair enough. I'd rank him 3rd or 4th, but for a lot of the season he was competing for #1.

Dating back to the end of last season and like the first ten games of this season had to be one of the best stretches of quarterback play ever. My mind was blown

This^

IMO both his titles have been from getting hot at the right time. Having the Giants defense helps. Also, he has benefited from things that had nothing to do with him, which put him in a position to win. Welker's drop, Kyle Williams in the conference champ game come to mind. Kudos for taking advantage, but he needs more seasons where his stats are dominant and his team wins more than the wild card.

That said, I think he'll get in because he's in NY and is a Manning.

Maybe had he won the Super Bowl but #1 has to go to Drew Breeze for breaking Marino's record and doing practically what Rogers did, lose in the playoffs.

As long as the rest of his career doesn't suck, he's in. Tebow will never sniff the HOF.

I'm not sure if I would say never with Tebow. I think we're putting too much emphasis on stats and not enough on contribution.

Last I checked, the definition of Fame was; widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character; renown; public eminence:
2. common estimation or opinion generally held of a person or thing; reputation.

:rolleyes: Sounds like Tebow to me especially if he continues to start for the next 5 years.

Fame has little to do with numbers as it does reputation. IMO

Maybe had he won the Super Bowl but #1 has to go to Drew Breeze for breaking Marino's record and doing practically what Rogers did, lose in the playoffs.

Rodgers was better than Brees this year. Yards are overrated, just ask the 2010 Chargers

Furthermore if getting into the Hof was all about stats then how would an offensive lineman ever get in?

Rodgers has better targets than anyone in the league. And yes, yards are overrated, but so is QB rating, which everyone on here uses as a measuring stick, apparently.

That being said, Rodgers was the best QB in the NFL in 2011, but Brees and Brady were close behind.

Rodgers has better targets than anyone in the league. And yes, yards are overrated, but so is QB rating, which everyone on here uses as a measuring stick, apparently.

That being said, Rodgers was the best QB in the NFL in 2011, but Brees and Brady were close behind.

Agree, and you can add Stafford to the list. He had a monster year by anyone's standards.