Vision Quest

Warrior152

Since my 6th grade step-son has recently taken an interest in wrestling, I told him he had to watch Vision Quest. Has anyone attempted to buy that movie lately? It's going for as much as $100-150 new and $30-50 used! Long story short, I found it (for $17 new) and it arrived yesterday. We watched it last night. It's still a pretty good movie, not quite as awesome as it seemed back in my wrestling days, but still pretty good. The sound track is still pretty cool too! For all you youngsters out there who have never seen it, but love wrestling, find it and watch it. For us old guys, it brings back great memories I'm sure. I remember listening to Lunatic Fringe before matches on a boom box in our lock room before dual meets...lol ahh, the good ol' days!!!!

I first heard about Vision Quest while channel surfing and saw a Madonna video on VH1 or MTV when Loudon was working out by himself in the gym. The song (I think it was "Crazy For You") was on the sound track from that movie. So I went out and rented it not knowing what to expect....

"Win-Win" isn't too bad either. Makes it a little better when you know that the kid in the movie was a wrestling phenom before having to give up wrestling because of a bad back after his sophomore year in HS.

Best Line in the Movie: SCHUTE? Schute's a monster! A genuine geratoid! His own father has to use a livewire to keep him from BLEEPING the fireplace! .... Had to Bleep out the true word, True Classic.

It is streaming on Netflix and I also bought it at Target about 1 year ago for $10.

Now that I've rained on your parade, that movie is blanking excellent:

-Linda Fiorentino
-Grandpa in the log cabin
-The Everywhere Spirit (although everyone, it appears, ain't Indians)
-Linda Fiorentino
-Mock crucifixion while climbing stadium steps
-80s hair
-Tannerran!!
-"I showed it to my mother!"
-106 lbr Connor Flynn
-The peg board
-Linda Fiorentino
-Kevin in 441
-Pele'...backwards and upside down,

So....my wife found the book online and it is amazing. From the 1960s and fantastic coming-of-age book. I teach HS english and it "fits" the standard for a literary piece, not just sports blah. However, major differences include...
-Louden and Schute are pleasant "wrestling friends" who run around in the off-season. Their match is much more about Swain's "quest" to make the weight and step on the mat than the conflict.
-The reason why this match is so important is that Louden's family is poor; he has a full ride to Ok State. He is graduating a semester early so he can work full time through the winter and help his dad out of debt before heading to college. The Schute match is his LAST match before winter break, when he graduates.
-Karla is his age, though she has a checkered past, and they are dating and already "getting busy" when the book opens. Louden's virginity is never in question or an issue.
-He has a mustache that he references often.
-Tanneran is young, about 25 and was a collegiate wrestler, but he is sleazy, dating students. No one seems bothered by it, though. It was the 60s, I guess....
-The book ends with a hand shake with Schute. We don't know how the match ends, because it's about the "journey".

Actually I watch the movie a few days ago, I was cracking up seeing a coach in a old-school singlet with a polo shirt underneath.

Also "win win" was a pretty good wrestling flick.

still got my original tape on vhs... watched w/ the boys this year. love hearing them saying now "He's a bleeder; can't hold his mud" in thier best schutte voice upon any blood time at tournys! lol

And I think the soundtack may be platnum if not mistaking??

I hear the coaches at Groveport Madison wear that to every practice

With a visor, don't forget.

This movie was released in Australia under the name "Crazy for You"- there's your trivia for the day. Love Elmo's speech to Louden before his match. It is still an awesome movie.

Best part in movie....When Loudon climbs the peg board...

Awesome 80's song kicks in..."People talking....."

Makes me want to run right now ha ha !

This is my favorite part. Louden sitting watching shute train. Shute looks at him and says " You gonna make the cut? " Turns around and keeps training.
something like that anyway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

6a00d8341c5d9653ef0120a78825aa970b.jpg

This is my favorite part. Louden sitting watching shute train. Shute looks at him and says " You gonna make the cut? " Turns around and keeps training.
something like that anyway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

6a00d8341c5d9653ef0120a78825aa970b.jpg

Louden: Hey Shute!!!...Shute!!!"

Shute: "Yeah...do I know you"

Louden: "Louden Swain..Thompson High"

Shute: "Think you'll make the weight"

Louden: "I don't know..I hope so"

Shute : "I hope so too!!!" as he turns and walks away with the log on his back!

Louden: Hey Shute!!!...Shute!!!"

Shute: "Yeah...do I know you"

Louden: "Louden Swain..Thompson High"

Shute: "Think you'll make the weight"

Louden: "I don't know..I hope so"

Shute : "I hope so too!!!" as he turns and walks away with the log on his back!
Thats awesome!

It is streaming on Netflix and I also bought it at Target about 1 year ago for $10.

Now that I've rained on your parade, that movie is blanking excellent:

-Linda Fiorentino
-Grandpa in the log cabin
-The Everywhere Spirit (although everyone, it appears, ain't Indians)
-Linda Fiorentino
-Mock crucifixion while climbing stadium steps
-80s hair
-Tannerran!!
-"I showed it to my mother!"
-106 lbr Connor Flynn
-The peg board
-Linda Fiorentino
-Kevin in 441
-Pele'...backwards and upside down,

So....my wife found the book online and it is amazing. From the 1960s and fantastic coming-of-age book. I teach HS english and it "fits" the standard for a literary piece, not just sports blah. However, major differences include...
-Louden and Schute are pleasant "wrestling friends" who run around in the off-season. Their match is much more about Swain's "quest" to make the weight and step on the mat than the conflict.-The reason why this match is so important is that Louden's family is poor; he has a full ride to Ok State. He is graduating a semester early so he can work full time through the winter and help his dad out of debt before heading to college. The Schute match is his LAST match before winter break, when he graduates.
-Karla is his age, though she has a checkered past, and they are dating and already "getting busy" when the book opens. Louden's virginity is never in question or an issue.
-He has a mustache that he references often.
-Tanneran is young, about 25 and was a collegiate wrestler, but he is sleazy, dating students. No one seems bothered by it, though. It was the 60s, I guess....
-The book ends with a hand shake with Schute. We don't know how the match ends, because it's about the "journey".

If they were friends, why wouldn't Shute just bump up a weight to wrestle Swain? End of story.