Wrestling wins GMC

SW136

Last year someone asked when would the wrestling team pull it together and win the GMC, I finally have an answer for them. Feb 13, 2010. Mason made an impressive run at the title. We ran neck and neck with Fairfield for part of the day, but pulled ahead during the quarter finals. Going into the finals, it was clear no one could catch us. We got outstanding performances from all of the boys, scoring 202 points to take the title. Second place was Princeton, with just under 160. Lakota West took 3rd. I am not positive on all the placements but will do my best. Feel free to correct me if I missed one.

103 - Rueben Victoria wrestles all the way back from a first round loss to place 3rd, beating the kid from Fairfield who beat him first round to get into the consolation finals.

112 - Brian Luria just steam rolled his way through the tournament. He beats Clemons from Lakota West in the championship finals, to become our first GMC champion of the day!

119 - Jake Artrip steps in for his older brother and wins some early round matches for us. He gave up several pounds to his opponents, but just kept battling. He wrestled very well and kept us from forfeiting his weight class.

125 - Christian Gonzalez - Gonzo was a man on a mission. He left no doubt beating Oak Hills' Tykler Weiskettel in the finals to become our second GMC champion of the day.

130 - Jesse Gorsek wrestled very well the entire day, he lost in the finals to Lakota East's Ryan Miller, and placed second. Jesse looks ready to make some noise at sectionals next weekend.

135 - Brendan Flannery had a heartbreaking loss (12 - 10, ref steals the match by calling 2 non existant back points and another 2 that were questionable) which knocked him down to the consolation bracket. He came back with a vengence, getting the opportunity to wrestle the kid he lost to again. This time he left NO DOUBT, and moved into the conso finals, ultimately taking 3rd in an exciting match.

140 - Robert Shepherd wins his fourth league title,1 FAVC, 3 GMC, with 2 tech falls and a pin.

145 - Kyle McIntyre, had a great day, loses to Craig McIntire of Lakota West, however, it took both Craig and the ref to beat him, with the ref calling stalling on Kyle twice while he was shooting. Following the match the ref walked over and shook, Craig's father's hand! The arena erupted with people from every school booing the decision. (FYI - this would also be the ref that stole the match from Flannery)

152- Eoin Walden has a very impressive day, wrestling hard to earn a spot in the finals. He falls to Lakota West's Vinnie Bradberry and takes 2nd. He beat Bradberry earlier this year and we all want to see this match up again at Districts.

160 - Aaron Walden battles back from an early round loss to wrestle for 3rd and fourth. He wrestled a tough final round match but comes up a bit short and places 4th.

171- Kyle Searer steps up and wrestles the way we all knew he could. He has a very impressive day against some very tough guys. He wrestled a great final match, coming up just a little short and places 4th. He had an outstanding day and showed great leadership.

189 - Andy Porter had a great day. He started the day by getting avenging a tough loss from last year. He wrestled tough all day, just coming up a bit short in the finals in overtime against Jeremy Stepp of Princeton. He has traded wins with Stepp this season, and it looks to be an exciting couple of weeks for AP.

215- Maison Kana (yes, Maison Kana!) comes out of "retirement":rainbow: to help his team win this title they all wanted so badly. He wrestled outstanding in a weight class with 4 of the top 20 kids in the state. He goes 2 and 2 on the day, but keeps us in the hunt. More importantly he brings the missing piece to the puzzle Shep, Porter, Searer, Gonzo, Luria, Gorsek, and Flannery have all been his teammates for 4 or more years. Shep, Porter and Kana have been together since 3rd grade. It was great to have him back on the mat!

HVY - We didn't enter anyone, McBride is still out injured hopefully back for sectionals.

Coach of the Year - Craig Murnan
Wrestler of the Year - Robert Shepherd

It was a great day for Comet Wrestling!

congrats to the comets on their first of many GMC titles... i wanna give a shout out to Jake "Mole" Artrip...wrestlers around the city could learn a thing or 2 from jake about what it means to have heart, no matter how far he makes it this year he is already a champ!!!