Wrestling Team #2 in the Country

Edge86

The Eagles wrestling team moved up in the polls after Saturday's 42-19 win over #7 ranked Great Bridge. The Eagles are currently # 2 in the country behind #1 Blair Academy.

Now it's time for the Eagles to get ready to defend it's state title.

Go Eagles!

Not bad for a team that was supposed to be down this year. They could have anywhere from 2-5 state champs. I'm hoping for 4.

I think the big suprise this year has been the incredible depth of the Senior class. It's not unusual for an Ed's kid to come out of nowhere and suprise, but this year there were a bunch of them. Pat Phelan, Robbie Hatszegi, Tony Spooner, Vince Didona, Russ Koz, and John Coyne really solidified the lineup as full time starters for the first time in their carreer. This isn't the most star studded Ed's team, but it may be the deepest. Clay Stark, Matt McDiarmid, Thomasone, Mercelino, Nate Smith, and Brian Koz could have stepped in for some regular starters without missing a beat.

I don't think I've ever been more proud of a St. Ed's wrestling team in all the years I've been following them. From top to bottom, I think this team really exemplifies what Ed's wrestling is about. If you put in the work and wait your turn, the coaches and the system will turn you into a tremendous wrestler.

Congratulations Eagles on winning your 20th Ohio State Wrestling title with 165.5 points.

Individual Champions: 103 freshman-Shaun Harris, 112 sophomore- Lance Palmer, 125 Senior-Albert Madsen.

State Runner-Ups: 130 freshman Sean Nemec, 145 Senior-Kevin Ward and 160 Senior Chuck Koz.

Great Job by the entire Eagle wrestling team as they once again out worked the entire state of Ohio.