Would You Sign up For 2008 Ohio vs USA?

The bottom line is that MV was ranked #1 by only one poll and that ranking lasted only through their first 5 games.

I thought the announcer was exaggerating a bit. I still do. It's a very thin claim.

That's not exactly the rankings we should expect from "the #1 team in the country."

(Later, MV lost and ended the season with only two polls including them in their Top 25.)

Getting Back on the Original Purpose of the thread, the incompetence of the promoter has reared its ugly head again. Apparently the Hoover game was scheduled on Sunday and the AHSAA will not allow Hoover to play on Sunday.

I don't see how you can put that on the promoter. Sounds like the incompetence of the AHSAA has reared it's ugly head. From what I hear, there wasn't a rule on the books about playing on Sundays. If that's the case, why wouldn't they schedule the Hoover game on Sunday?

And is the announcer supposed to be faulted for saying MV was number one in week one when that only lasted for five weeks?

Some announcers said USC was number one in 2005 and then USC ended up losing to Texas. So how could they ever say USC was number one? Just a terrible job by the announcers, I guess.

I don't see how you can put that on the promoter. Sounds like the incompetence of the AHSAA has reared it's ugly head. From what I hear, there wasn't a rule on the books about playing on Sundays. If that's the case, why wouldn't they schedule the Hoover game on Sunday?

Why is the AHSAA incompetent? The promoter failed to do proper due deligence. If you are doing an event like "Ohio vs USA Challenge", you would contact the state agency to verify there are no smoking guns. Hoover as part of their negotiations should have also contacted AHSAA, so they are not innocent.

I understand how the confusion created, but it could have been avoided. This is the second example of a lack of due diligence (contact the state governing body) blowing up in the promoter's face. The third problem was making promises and reneging.

First the idea is great in concept, but not practical in reality due to the limited gate it attracts and the limited financial resources of the promoter.

Evangel Christian Academy out of Shreveport signed an agreement to play in the 2007 Herbie and assumed they had a game Labor Day weekend in Ohio. The sponsors never contacted them to let them know they would not be included in the 2007 Herbie. This means in 2007, ECA will more than likely only play 9 games.

The sad part is Mr. Johnston appears to have attempted to have avoided "manning up" to the situation. It appears that the sponsors may be further embarassed by their matching a Michigan team that may not be able to make the trip.

Would you risk your teams 2008 schedule to the financial intergrity and the profession integrity of the Herbie promoters?
YEP, because Georgia powerhouses relish the opportunity to rub Herbie's face in the dirt. I don't recall the years per se'. BUT, Buford(twice) and Camden County came to that event, and laid out the opponents that Herbie offered. And NOW, it's Massillon's time to man up, albeit, against a lesser opponent! ;)

Last edited:
For a Texas team, the Herbie is an "exhibition" game. If Texas High would have lost it would have had no impact (other than mental) on their ability to make the playoffs. I suspect the same for Lakeland. However for the Ohio teams, the games are "real" because the game impacts the Harbin point system.

So I think you are both right.
SOOOOOO, THAT'S why it's taken Massillon FOUR DECADES to invite Valdosta to their party? A POINT SYSTEM affecting the playoffs!!!!! Because I know for a FACT that Valdosta has been calling Massillon for at least two decades, to GETDONE! Lucky for YOU folks, that Valdosta still suffers from delusions of grandeur, about their previous greatness. They still think that it's 1989 and before. Even when they won the most recent State Championships. They weren't REALLY ALL THAT. Both years, 1998 and 2016, they lost to that team up NORTH, 7A COLQUITT COUNTY. And we didn't win SQUAT either of these seasons. In fact, their last championship came when they slithered down into the bush leagues of GHSA 6A! And after 7A Grayson opted out of the GEICO State Champions challenge, because of the 50-player max requirement. Valdosta, all full of piss and vinegar, accepted the invite to play Chandler, Ariz. in Frisco, Texas. And just as Colquitt had done, Chandler LAID THEM OUT, 44-21. Colquitt had won 45-24 at Death Valley.

SOOOO, Massillon gets Valdosta LITE, in 2023!