Would Coombs come back to UC???

With the recent Butch Jones departure, do any of you Colerain fans believe that Coombs would take the head coaching job at UC???

I doubt he 's getting paid more at OSU as a coach than he would as being the head coach at UC, perhaps if he were an offensive or defensive co-ordinator. I hear this question brought up on the radio, the dj said that while it would be a great idea for Coombs to take the job at UC, right now he's not ready yet. He'll need to be a coordinator first, and during those years he can learn from one of the best, Urban Meyer. Then when the timing is right, the UC job will open again, as it always does, and Coach Coombs can step in and be ready to do a great job. Don't know if that's waht will happen, but it does make sense.

Shouldn't the real question be, does Coach Coombs "want" the UC job? His name will forever pop-up now when the UC job becomes vacant, which seems to be every 3 or 4 years. I know Coach loved what he did while at Colerain but does he really love The 'Nati enough to want to be the head coach of UC?

UC is a springboard for a reason. The fans of this city are very finicky which makes being a coach in this city quite challenging. Heck look at Coach Jones, he's had success at UC and yet when reading some of the posts about him leaving you see a handful of people saying good riddance. I know you can never please everyone, but I thought Jones did a pretty good job taking over from Kelly. Not many coaches at UC were treated like a god the way Huggins was.

So when the job opens up again in a handful of years or less will Coombs really want it?

Right, unless he enjoys being an assistant for the rest of his coaching career. I really did not understand his post at all.

My point is people just assume that Coach Coombs would leap at the chance to be head coach at UC. I'm just saying, would he really be all that enthusiastic to to take the UC job. Sure, the coaches at UC have been successful making the jump to bigger programs. But if Coombs continues to develop under Urban Meyer and does indeed seek to be a college head coach some day, why is it everyone thinks he would be a lock for the UC head coaching position if it were presented to him?

There are a lot of programs out there with a lot better fan support. UC has some dedicated fans but they aren't selling out Nippert Stadium for every home game like some other programs do. I'm just asking does Coombs really feel a tie to UC and Cincinnati or would he by pass UC for another program?

I would think he'd want to be head coach somewhere. Why not Cincy? He's from here, has plenty of ties to the local high schools for recruiting, and you can't tell me fans wouldn't be excited to have a home town guy. And if UC is still a springboard then, that's all the more reason to take it when it's open. Either way, he's sitting in a pretty good seat.

Last edited: