Which Seniors are playing in college next year?

abigfan

Have not read or heard a thing about any of the "superstars" from the class of 2011 playing at the next level. After all of the hype over the past four years, what turned out to be the reality?

Have not read or heard a thing about any of the "superstars" from the class of 2011 playing at the next level. After all of the hype over the past four years, what turned out to be the reality?

None of the "over hyped football superstars" are playing football (as far as I know), if thats what you're asking! :Ohno:

Here's what I have below: I might have missed a few. :shrug: Don't know why Mason can't keep this updated in one place? Oh well! Please add or make any changes that you know of.

Football

Ben Woycke (Capital University)

Tylan Rogers (Muskingum College)

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Harjit Bal (Thomas More)

Kirk Smith (University of Kentucky) (walk on) not sure?

David Fulcher (Ohio University) (walk on)

Abraham Muhlbaum (University of Central Florida) (walk on) not sure?

Baseball

Lawson Wishard (University of Northwestern Ohio)

Shane Johnson (Cedarville University)

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Basketball

Sarah Hunter (Wright State)

Lacrosse

Derek Henson (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)

Matt Bertrams (University at Albany)

Ian Hammerin (Wittenberg)

Amari Agee (Virginia Wesleyan)

Cross Country

Tate Honaker (Lipscomb)

Matt Kincaid (NKU)

Matt Mitchell (Cornell)

Zach Wills (Oklahoma State)

Chelsea Shepherd (Bucknell)

Volleyball

Lauren Ketron (Transylvania University)

Anna Carley (Wake Forest)

Torrie Whitmore (Mt. Saint Joseph)

Soccer

Mason Hoge (Ohio Wesleyan)

Andrew Askren (Heidelberg University)

Tyler Beechan (Penn State at Altoona)

Ryan Goodhew (Trine)

A.J. Vergara (Ohio Northern)

Jae Atkinson (University of Cincinnati)

Annie Beard (Ohio University)

Liz Finley (Ohio University)

Track

Olivia Bergesen (Duke)

Chelsea Vanhook (Dayton)

Golf

Evan Bryan (Cincinnati State)

Erin Michel (Penn State)

Emily Wright (Wake Forest)

Congrats to all these fine athletes and best of luck at the next level!! :clap:

Last edited:
None of the "over hyped football superstars" are playing football (as far as I know), if thats what you're asking! :Ohno:

Here's what I have below: I might have missed a few. :shrug: Don't know why Mason can't keep this updated in one place? Oh well! Please add or make any changes that you know of.

Football

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Harjit Bal (Thomas More)

Kirk Smith (University of Kentucky) (walk on)

David Fulcher (Ohio University) not sure?

Baseball

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Basketball

Lacrosse

Cross Country

Tate Honaker (Lipscomb)

Matt Kincaid (NKU)

Matt Mitchell (Cornell)

Volleyball

Soccer

Ryan Goodhew (Trine)

Track

Olivia Bergesen (Duke)

Chelsea Vanhook (Dayton)

Golf

Erin Michel (Penn State)

Thanks for the update Knock-em-out. What a shame to see all of those D1 looks and offers go to waste for the over hyped.

FYI. Think there were a couple more lacrosse players that got scholarships. I believe Ian Hammerin is going to play at Whittenburg, Lucky and possibly Alex Ingen or Hust are playing at the next level as well.

Like you, congrats to all these deserving athletes.

P.S. Also heard that Fulchers grades might be an issue at OU.

Thanks for the update Knock-em-out. What a shame to see all of those D1 looks and offers go to waste for the over hyped.

FYI. Think there were a couple more lacrosse players that got scholarships. I believe Ian Hammerin is going to play at Whittenburg, Lucky and possibly Alex Ingen or Hust are playing at the next level as well.

No knock on Wittenberg, but they don't give out athletic schollys, and most of the other schools on this list don't either. Still a nice accomplishment.

Congratulations to these kids on moving on to the next level!

The saying "realities a b*tch" comes to mind concerning the highlighted part of your post above! :laugh:
I added Ian Hammerin at Wittenberg. Are you sure about Jacob Lucky? I thought he's going to Ohio State? He got a scholly for OSU?
Are you sure about Alex Ingen and or Eric Hust? I thought Hust is going to UC? He got a scholly for UC?

Fulcher at a NAIA perhaps? :shrug:

For football:
Unless something has changed in the last 3 weeks - 3 seniors were offered full rides to play at the next level (1 decided on lacrosse). 2 seniors had multiple offers (including PWO and scholarships) to play D1 - including Big East and ACC schools. 4 players are planning to go DIII, and 2 are planning to go DI walkon. 2 seniors are still weighing their options.

For football:
Unless something has changed in the last 3 weeks - 3 seniors were offered full rides to play at the next level (1 decided on lacrosse). 2 seniors had multiple offers (including PWO and scholarships) to play D1 - including Big East and ACC schools. 4 players are planning to go DIII, and 2 are planning to go DI walkon. 2 seniors are still weighing their options.

Bet I can guess who at least one of the players wasmwho received the "offers" from the Big East and ACC schools. Did not see that kidsmname on any offer lists for any ofmthose schools nor any recruiting sites.

How come you always throw out the "several offers" for players but never name the player or the school? This is not classified information. Seems to me that the players who are "weighing their options"better hurry up and make up their mind, practice will be starting soon. Btw, my translation for "weighing their options" means still trying to find a program that is interested. Maybe for Fulcher, he is still trying to qualify academically

Bet I can guess who at least one of the players wasmwho received the "offers" from the Big East and ACC schools. Did not see that kidsmname on any offer lists for any ofmthose schools nor any recruiting sites.

How come you always throw out the "several offers" for players but never name the player or the school? This is not classified information. Seems to me that the players who are "weighing their options"better hurry up and make up their mind, practice will be starting soon. Btw, my translation for "weighing their options" means still trying to find a program that is interested. Maybe for Fulcher, he is still trying to qualify academically

Then you know. It was published and listed in several places including the graduation program. Unless something changed Fulcher has the academics. Weighing options means weighing options, the translation is that there are multiple schools interested and each has made an offer. There are multiple aspects to consider including the academics.

Then you know. It was published and listed in several places including the graduation program. Unless something changed Fulcher has the academics. Weighing options means weighing options, the translation is that there are multiple schools interested and each has made an offer. There are multiple aspects to consider including the

I've seen who has offered Fulcher. Haven't seen any offers listed on Rivals or any other listing. Wasn't at graduation, so why don't you enlighten me. Tell me who the offers are coming from.

I've seen who has offered Fulcher. Haven't seen any offers listed on Rivals or any other listing. Wasn't at graduation, so why don't you enlighten me. Tell me who the offers are coming from.

Hey bigfan your waisting your time!

The "graduation program" and "weighing options" routine/excuse is just a last ditch attempt to keep the hype machine running. Just like all the many other "truth stretching" comments we've heard, about the same players over and over for the last 4 years. Any one can claim or say whatever they want (nothing is ever truly verified).The hype machine is about to run out of gas though. It's ironic that all the players that have been "offered full rides to play at the next level" (referring to D1 scholies) are either playing another sport or are "weighing options". ::laugh:

The reality is in about another 6 months we'll see who's really actually playing football and performing and who's not. Fairy tail days are about over for the "over hyped" boys!! ::laugh:

Not one player from the 2011 class will be playing D1 football on a full ride scholly even with the "hype machine in full throttle". The real accomplishments will be for the football players that were given very little or no recognition at Mason who will be playing and performing in College the next four years without even boarding the "hype machine". :thumb:

I'm sure we can count on a very valid excuse why they're not playing and or performing at the next level. Can't wait to read about it soon! :shrug:

Hey bigfan your waisting your time!

The "graduation program" and "weighing options" routine/excuse is just a last ditch attempt to keep the hype machine running. Just like all the many other "truth stretching" comments we've heard, about the same players over and over for the last 4 years. Any one can claim or say whatever they want (nothing is ever truly verified).The hype machine is about to run out of gas though. It's ironic that all the players that have been "offered full rides to play at the next level" (referring to D1 scholies) are either playing another sport or are "weighing options". ::laugh:

The reality is in about another 6 months we'll see who's really actually playing football and performing and who's not. Fairy tail days are about over for the "over hyped" boys!! ::laugh:

Not one player from the 2011 class will be playing D1 football on a full ride scholly even with the "hype machine in full throttle". The real accomplishments will be for the football players that were given very little or no recognition at Mason who will be playing and performing in College the next four years without even boarding the "hype machine". :thumb:

I'm sure we can count on a very valid excuse why they're not playing and or performing at the next level. Can't wait to read about it soon! :shrug:

Read in the Pulse Journal last week that Fulcher is "waiting to hear" from Ohio University. I don't understand what that means, according to the Rivals web-site, they already offered him, what could they be waiting for? Grades? Can't be, according to SWMCINCI, grades were not a problem.

It also said that if OU doesn't work out, he will be going to some Community College in Kansas. That is a real shocker. If his grades are good enough to get into OU, why in the world would he go to some Community College in Kansas? Was there nothing offered between OU and Community College?:shrug:

Read in the Pulse Journal last week that Fulcher is "waiting to hear" from Ohio University. I don't understand what that means, according to the Rivals web-site, they already offered him, what could they be waiting for? Grades? Can't be, according to SWMCINCI, grades were not a problem.

It also said that if OU doesn't work out, he will be going to some Community College in Kansas. That is a real shocker. If his grades are good enough to get into OU, why in the world would he go to some Community College in Kansas? Was there nothing offered between OU and Community College?:shrug:

He didn't commit and they needed one. He waited too long. I believe he is now waiting to find out if they will offer him a PWO.

I only wish the best for all these kids; but what these parents, coaches, and recruiting sites are really doing is using deceptive (sometimes false) marketing hype in hopes that what they want might actually comes true.

Most of the information is not verified and what information that is given is over written to get the most glorified marketing effect that they can out of it.
It's more about hyping the kids they want to succeed than recognizing the kids that actually do perform.

What are they teaching these impressionable young teens by doing this? It's OK to say anything you want or "stretch the truth" to make yourself look bigger and better than you really are? This kind of stuff is why kids today don't think twice about ling, deceiving, and being unaccountable for what they do. :wallbang:

The truth about who plays where can only be verified for sure this coming fall when the rosters come out. Like I said before you will most likely see that "Not one player from the 2011 class will be playing D1 football on a full ride scholly".

These are the same people that are telling a walk on player who played offensive line in High school; that he has a shot at playing full back at a D1 college next year. He's never ever played a skilled position and on a good day can't run 5.0 in the 40. I hope the kid does actually get the chance but this is the same kind of hype (unrealistic expectation) that is spewed from the mouths of the same people over and over. :wallbang:

Again, like I said "The reality is in about another 6 months we'll see who's really actually playing football and performing and who's not. Fairy tail days are about over for the "over hyped" boys!!

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...-theme-for-mason-football-finish-1195718.html

Read this recent Pulse Journal Article dated June 28, 2011, about this years football team and in that article there was a comment about Fulcher.
I didn't quite understand it?

"Recent Mason graduate David Fulcher Jr. will continue his career at Ohio University." "Fulcher, a 5-11, 205-pound running back, will receive a scholarship for sure in January, and possibly as early as August."

Does that mean he can't play until next year or he might play this year?

What does that mean? Sounds odd to me!

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...-theme-for-mason-football-finish-1195718.html

Read this recent Pulse Journal Article dated June 28, 2011, about this years football team and in that article there was a comment about Fulcher.
I didn't quite understand it?

"Recent Mason graduate David Fulcher Jr. will continue his career at Ohio University." "Fulcher, a 5-11, 205-pound running back, will receive a scholarship for sure in January, and possibly as early as August."

Does that mean he can't play until next year or he might play this year?

What does that mean? Sounds odd to me!

He will be attending college at his own expense until January. He has the equivalent of a PWO for the fall. IF OU ends up with an extra scholarship (someone screws up admissions or doesn't qualify to play - he gets a scholarship this Fall). He could see the field but realistically he will compete for a starting position in the Spring.

He will be attending college at his own expense until January. He has the equivalent of a PWO for the fall. IF OU ends up with an extra scholarship (someone screws up admissions or doesn't qualify to play - he gets a scholarship this Fall). He could see the field but realistically he will compete for a starting position in the Spring.
And how about your son?

And how about your son?

Come on man, you know what the deal is. Obviously weighing his options on which d1 school he will play for this year.

BTW, Big congratulations to Joe Spencer who just committed to Illinois, and Josh Dooley who committed to Miami.

As far as I know, Spencer's commitment is the first Big 10 commitment for a Mason football player. Dooley is a real STUD, Miami is getting a real linebacker who loves to hit and plays the position like it should be played.

And how about your son?

Still has PWO's from Cincinnati, Bowling Green, and Duke. Has decided to attend Central Florida with another Mason alumnus and walk-on for the Knights. Met with the LB coach last month, while he will attend the Fall workouts, they want him to continue the rehab on his knee (blown ACL/Miniscus from wrestling) from his surgery in March. He will join the team next spring with the expectation of competing for a starting position.

Still has PWO's from Cincinnati, Bowling Green, and Duke. Has decided to attend Central Florida with another Mason alumnus and walk-on for the Knights. Met with the LB coach last month, while he will attend the Fall workouts, they want him to continue the rehab on his knee (blown ACL/Miniscus from wrestling) from his surgery in March. He will join the team next spring with the expectation of competing for a starting position.

I would guess the 7 linebackers UCF Signed in the class of 2011 who are all star rated by Rivals and there on full scholarships would expect to be competing for a starting position as well.

And the beat goes on!

I would guess the 7 linebackers UCF Signed in the class of 2011 who are all star rated by Rivals and there on full scholarships would expect to be competing for a starting position as well.

:laugh: For real!!
I'll just refer back to my first response to your original post bigfan: :thumb:

Not one player from the 2011 class will be playing D1 football on a full ride scholly even with the "hype machine in full throttle".

Of course there are always those "stories" you hear floating around in the hot air! You never know for real. Time will tell for sure! :wallbang:

The ship sailed on those other PWO's long ago. Don't kid yourself or anybody else here.

This season will be much more enjoyable without cheer-hype dad on duty.

Football

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Harjit Bal (Thomas More)

Kirk Smith (University of Kentucky) (walk on)

David Fulcher (Ohio University) not sure?

Baseball

Evan Denny (Thomas More)

Basketball

Lacrosse

Ian Hammerin (Wittenberg)

Cross Country

Tate Honaker (Lipscomb)

Matt Kincaid (NKU)

Matt Mitchell (Cornell)

Volleyball

Soccer

Ryan Goodhew (Trine)

Track

Olivia Bergesen (Duke)

Chelsea Vanhook (Dayton)

Golf

Erin Michel (Penn State)

Wow!!! Impressive list.

The ship sailed on those other PWO's long ago. Don't kid yourself or anybody else here.

This season will be much more enjoyable without cheer-hype dad on duty.

Sad that you try to act like you know what you are talking about.. Kerry coombs called less than a month ago to answer questions and make sure the kid was still enrolling and ready to play mid september... Guess that means it sailed long ago... At least swm knows the truth with his son....

Sad that you try to act like you know what you are talking about.. Kerry coombs called less than a month ago to answer questions and make sure the kid was still enrolling and ready to play mid september... Guess that means it sailed long ago... At least swm knows the truth with his son....

Yeah right, Kerry Coombs called to make sure the all star was enrolling at UCF and ready to play mid September. I didn't know Kerry was coaching at UCF now.

All the talk has been cheap. What do you say we just watch what transpires the next few years. We can re-visit this thread in a couple of years and see how the stud walk on performed.

Like always.. Ignoring facts because you werent privied to information... the fact that some of you get sohappy because kids make decisions that they want on their own, not bc everyone is telling them to do sonething tells me the majority of you dont have a clue why these kids do what they do.. For the record the kids we are talkin about is going into an academic program he wants that isnt offered at those other schools... He knows.. Realistically that EVERYONE needs a college degree.. And the one he wanted was at ucf and is as a matter of fact the top school for that major in the united states... Dont assume you understand things.. You truly are making yourself look like an outsider who has no idea what he is talking about...

Like always.. Ignoring facts because you werent privied to information... the fact that some of you get sohappy because kids make decisions that they want on their own, not bc everyone is telling them to do sonething tells me the majority of you don't have a clue why these kids do what they do.. For the record the kids we are talkin about is going into an academic program he wants that isn't offered at those other schools... He knows.. Realistically that EVERYONE needs a college degree.. And the one he wanted was at ucf and is as a matter of fact the top school for that major in the united states... Dont assume you understand things.. You truly are making yourself look like an outsider who has no idea what he is talking about...

Yeah we all know what we saw and heard for the last four years. It was nothing more than a select group of over-hyped, excessively marketed and underachieving handpicked "superstars" of the class of 2011. All these supposedly D1 offers for the "select" projected players by parents, coaches, and friends of these so called D1 players end up being nothing but hope and hype. It's not this kids fault he hasn't, can't and won't live up to all the hype his daddy spewed all over the place for the past four years though. :wallbang:

It's just a coincidence that none of the over-hyped boys have decided to except the sports schollies offered to them to play D1 football; Yeah RIGHT! We all know when it's all said and done all of these overrated superstars won't be playing football in College.

That's right, you'd have us all believe they all choose something else rather than start and play full time football for a D1 program. We also all know the real reason they won't be starting/playing is because the hype doesn't work anymore once you get out of High School. Now that it's time to actually perform, the truth will come out. They won't be able to live up to all the hype in College simply because they never lived up to it in High School.
Like abigfan wrote above, "We can re-visit this thread in a couple of years and see how the stud walk on performed." :Ohno:

Yeah we all know what we saw and heard for the last four years. It was nothing more than a select group of over-hyped, excessively marketed and underachieving handpicked "superstars" of the class of 2011. All these supposedly D1 offers for the "select" projected players by parents, coaches, and friends of these so called D1 players end up being nothing but hope and hype. It's not this kids fault he hasn't, can't and won't live up to all the hype his daddy spewed all over the place for the past four years though. :wallbang:

It's just a coincidence that none of the over-hyped boys have decided to except the sports schollies offered to them to play D1 football; Yeah RIGHT! We all know when it's all said and done all of these overrated superstars won't be playing football in College.

That's right, you'd have us all believe they all choose something else rather than start and play full time football for a D1 program. We also all know the real reason they won't be starting/playing is because the hype doesn't work anymore once you get out of High School. Now that it's time to actually perform, the truth will come out. They won't be able to live up to all the hype in College simply because they never lived up to it in High School.
Like abigfan wrote above, "We can re-visit this thread in a couple of years and see how the stud walk on performed." :Ohno:

It's my understanding that 4 of the 2011 seniors were offered D-1 opportunities for football.. and 1 will pursue that opportunity.. whenever his scholarship frees up, and 2 others decided to play lacrosse on scholarship..

Just because they choose a different sport, or in this kids case he chooses a school that didn't offer him a scholarship, for an academic opportunity (but sure offered him a great academic scholarship), doesn't, in the majority of the world mean the kid is a failure.. last i checked free or significantly cheaper school is the main reason many HS athletes work so hard at their sport.... not to mention their love for the game.

People take different paths to success everyday.. I don't know what you do, or what you gain from STILLLLLLLLL attempting to dog on kids who aren't around anymore, only educated guess would be they took your kids, or your spot on the varsity field.. but frankly the majority of people think all of the 2011 seniors were great kids both academically and athletically.. just let it go.. that's what adults do... please just move on...

Also to fix your list.. if you are adding Abe to the UCF walk on list you may want to add Erich Myers as both are in similar situations as far as I know..

It's my understanding that 4 of the 2011 seniors were offered D-1 opportunities for football.. and 1 will pursue that opportunity.. whenever his scholarship frees up, and 2 others decided to play lacrosse on scholarship..

Just because they choose a different sport, or in this kids case he chooses a school that didn't offer him a scholarship, for an academic opportunity (but sure offered him a great academic scholarship), doesn't, in the majority of the world mean the kid is a failure.. last i checked free or significantly cheaper school is the main reason many HS athletes work so hard at their sport.... not to mention their love for the game.

People take different paths to success everyday.. I don't know what you do, or what you gain from STILLLLLLLLL attempting to dog on kids who aren't around anymore, only educated guess would be they took your kids, or your spot on the varsity field.. but frankly the majority of people think all of the 2011 seniors were great kids both academically and athletically.. just let it go.. that's what adults do... please just move on...

Also to fix your list.. if you are adding Abe to the UCF walk on list you may want to add Erich Myers as both are in similar situations as far as I know..

The best any of the "select superstars" (you know who they were/are) got offered, was a non athletic paid walk on from a D1 college (every player that is trying to play football has received some type of academic money). Only two of the over hyped boys got that offer (preferred walk on) and in case you don't know what that means I'll tell you. It means they weren't good enough to receive an athletic scholarship but they "might" be able to help the team out on the depth chart somewhere. If they really were D1 material they would have been offered a paid spot on the team. Thats a fact!!

For the last 4 years the same names from the same sources, over hyped select players, that never lived up to the caliber players they were advertised as being. SMM was the conductor of the Hype Machine, as well as others including some coaches.

The fact is the Lacrosse players are playing Lacrosse because they never got paid offers from D1 colleges for football; again thats FACT!

The only player that was as advertised was Fulcher and he might be playing D1 or at least it sounds like he might get the chance. The two going to UCF are going there because they know that they probably won't be actually playing football so they were smart to pick a college that best meets their college degree requirements. They know it's a long shot that they will actually play but hey why not try; right?

Nothing against these kids but frankly they just aren't good enough to play D1 football and that's why they choose what they choose. I as well as others are tired of hearing the BS. That's the real truth. Like it or not you will see in the next couple of years that I'm right!

I'm not "dogging" anyone, just stating facts and not letting posters like SWM get away with his "truth stretching" and false hope hype here in hyper space. LOL!