Week 5: Evil Empire

ReLoad

The Bombers (4-0) travel to Nippert Stadium this Friday to play the Dumpster Fire on Montgomery Road (1-3) to open GCL play.

Second half running clock.

This is an opportunity to.......
Avenge last seasons 19-14 debacle at Ballaban Field
Continue to rest Vrsansky and Maier if necessary.
Allow limping Lang to get closer to 100%
Get the backups some minutes specifically Klare at QB
Rest and prepare for the second half of the season

Slow day at the office and thought I'd log in to see the banter between St. X and MOE peeps. OMG, nothing like back in the day. I guess since Moe is following the Xavier University's 'Basketball first' model in promoting sports, football just isn't that big anymore. I might just run out tomorrow and traverse through Moe-town to see if it's as lethargic as their team.

Slow day at the office and thought I'd log in to see the banter between St. X and MOE peeps. OMG, nothing like back in the day. I guess since Moe is following the Xavier University's 'Basketball first' model in promoting sports, football just isn't that big anymore. I might just run out tomorrow and traverse through Moe-town to see if it's as lethargic as their team.

Since you asked:

Two things must happen for Big Moe to win

1. Players and dads reverse roles for the evening.

Players take to the parking lot pregame tailgate to crack open the Jim Beam while dads host a vaping party on the soccer field.

2. Student body and moms reverse roles for the evening

Moms go shirtless during the game while student body attends a Nordstrom couture fashion show in the parking lot at halftime. GBM

Waiting for FTB to provide expert analysis of the Freshmen game against Big Moe.

Since you asked:

Two things must happen for Big Moe to win

1. Players and dads reverse roles for the evening.

Players take to the parking lot pregame tailgate to crack open the Jim Beam while dads host a vaping party on the soccer field.

2. Student body and moms reverse roles for the evening

Moms go shirtless during the game while student body attends a Nordstrom couture fashion show in the parking lot at halftime. GBM

Waiting for FTB to provide expert analysis of the Freshmen game against Big Moe.

I can make this happen.

Moe by 10

Just made an ill advised trip to the Moeller forum and into the football thread.
11 pages of excitement for the upcoming season by multiple posters the majority new members.
About a page since the opener.
The curse of Fuzzy/Klonne continues

Since things are surprisingly slow during Evil Empire week lets ponder some mid season musings

Transfers
1. DE Garren Carter leads the GMC in sacks at Lakota West who after losing the opener to LaSalle has won their past 3 games heading into tonights titanic struggle agains the undefeated Injuns of Fairfield.
2. Princeton OL Paris Johnson was determined to be eligible for the entire season by meeting one of the 11 exceptions. The Vikings (2-2) are on a 2 game losing skid since beginning league play in the always tough GMC

Team
Thus far the Coverdale offense has been a welcome change from the past.
Rueve is hitting 65% of his passes thus far and a TD/INT ratio of 10/0 with no fumbles and minimal sacks.
The receiver corps is banged up (Maier and Vrsansky are doubtful for tonight) while Lang has removed the brace
Specht as D-Coordinator is beginning to mold a formidable defense using 15 different players.
Injury (Dolle), youth (2 sophomores0 and inexperience (QB transfer) at the CB position nearly cost the Bombers a win last week but with Dolle back full time and Nolan with 4 games of experience at the new position is much improved.
Overall depth has improved since camp as players have stepped up.

Schedule
The first 5 opponents had a collective record around 0.500
The final 5 opponents currently have a winning percentage of 0.760
After tonight the Bombers are at home for 3 games (Elder, Canada and LaSalle) and then on long distance (Cleveland, Louisville) to finish the season

Good to see Garden doing well, seemed like a decent kid. I know he really preferred playing one of the end sits and not the nose.

Final, X 27, Moe 24. Did not like how conservative X got in the second half, some really vanilla play calling. Hope Hundley’s injury was minor and he will make it back for next week. Defense can’t come out against Elder like it has the past 2 weeks.

Nice game by the Bombers. The lead was totally unexpected, the comeback was not. That blocked (muffed punt attempt) by Big Moe and the score right before half time was a dagger. Moeller is just not built to come from behind. The Bombers are one of my favorite GCL-S teams next to Moe, Elder and LaSalle, but credit must be given where credit is due. You guys will have to clean up a few things though. GBM

I thought that the play calling was fine in the second half, we just didn't execute quite well enough. No excuses but we were playing with 3 sophs on the o-line including the normal LG moving to C. We would be going along keeping ahead of the chains and each series there was a play or two that got us off schedule. I am sure we will get a little better this week and be ready for game day. Should be a fun night celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Elder vs. St X series.

Final, X 27, Moe 24. Did not like how conservative X got in the second half, some really vanilla play calling. Hope Hundley’s injury was minor and he will make it back for next week. Defense can’t come out against Elder like it has the past 2 weeks.

Hundley injury: watched game video. The last play Hundley was in he tackled the punter to set up the Bomber TD just before halftime. After the tackle he jumped up and ran off the field, so either he played the first half injured or was injured off the field prior to the second half.

Second Half: nearly the entire half was played in Moe territory except when X fielded a punt in their own territory and Moeller reached the X 45 only to have a penalty take them back to the other side of the 50. X had the ball 6 times in the second half.
3 times they went for it on 4th and came up short, twice Rueve was sacked and they punted and the 6th possession Clifford fumbled inside the 10.

I thought that the play calling was fine in the second half, we just didn't execute quite well enough. No excuses but we were playing with 3 sophs on the o-line including the normal LG moving to C. We would be going along keeping ahead of the chains and each series there was a play or two that got us off schedule. I am sure we will get a little better this week and be ready for game day. Should be a fun night celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Elder vs. St X series.

So is Uhl injured or did the staff decide to go with Parker at center (where he played last year) and put Renneker at left guard?

I think this is the 97th year that Elder and StX have played beginning in 1923.
It will be the 100th meeting between the 2 teams since they have played 4 times in the post-season.
2001 X won 24-21 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium
2002 X lost 20-16 1st Round at Nippert Stadium
2007 X won 45-14 1st Round at Ballaban Field
2009 X lost 17-14 2nd Round at Nippert Stadium

:unsure:
Hundley injury: watched game video. The last play Hundley was in he tackled the punter to set up the Bomber TD just before halftime. After the tackle he jumped up and ran off the field, so either he played the first half injured or was injured off the field prior to the second half.

Second Half: nearly the entire half was played in Moe territory except when X fielded a punt in their own territory and Moeller reached the X 45 only to have a penalty take them back to the other side of the 50. X had the ball 6 times in the second half.
3 times they went for it on 4th and came up short, twice Rueve was sacked and they punted and the 6th possession Clifford fumbled inside the 10.
I am almost embarrassed to say this but hundley got kicked in the ankle by a back up kicker who was warming up on the sideline. This happened after he sacked the punter
:mad:

I am almost embarrassed to say this but hundley got kicked in the ankle by a back up kicker who was warming up on the sideline. This happened after he sacked the punter

Lol that is embarrassing! WTH was the Back Up Kicker warming up for? Pboy allowed to attend games at St X?

FREE Pboy/B!itchboy!!!

Reminiscent of the 2006 season and the infamous towel snapping incident that injured Fred Craig's eye and likely cost X a state championship.
He missed several weeks mid to late season and wasn't the same when he returned during playoffs (lost in 3rd round to Colerain)

The injury list is beginning to approach the 2008 season when the offense was decimated by multiple injuries, several season ending.
The big difference is none of the injuries this season are season ending.

2019 Injury List: TE Maier, RB/WR Vrsansky, CB Dolle, TE Lang, SS Hundley, C Uhl, CB Anderson.
Lang and Dolle are both back seemingly at full strength after missing a few games.
Maier may be back this week as well as Hundley since the described incident sounds like a deep bruise.
He was on crutches with no wraps appeared he just couldn't put any pressure on one side
Uhl with broken bones in snapping hand will be out a few weeks at least
Vrsansky and Anderson on the sidelines with no visible physical ailment so possibly concussion protocols which usually are a few weeks so both may be due back this week as well.

In response to the injuries to the 2 cornerbacks, DuBois has been moved from safety to CB opposite Dolle and the Kirk's (Danny and Eli), Eric Thompson and Jack Kemper have gotten more playing time in various schemes.
Uhl's injury necessitated Parker's move to center from left guard and Renneker took over that spot (left to right: sophomore-sophomore-sophomore-senior-junior). Doubt that X has ever had 3 sophomores in the starting varsity OLine
In Hundley's absence junior Overbeck was a solid replacement but not the impact player Hundley is in so far as blocking punts, tackles for losses etc

Last edited:
Thanks for the injury insights, I was wondering if he hurt it somehow celebrating that crunching of the punter. Hopefully he can bounce back quickly, he adds a lot in special teams and run support.

The three sophs seem to be holding their own for the most part, Elder will be a big test