Week 4: Cathedral

Anybody have time of possession?
With the successful fake punt, successful squib kickoff and our sputtering offense our defense had to be out there 75% of the time.
And Ibelieve the starting 11 never got a breather

Anybody have time of possession?
With the successful fake punt, successful squib kickoff and our sputtering offense our defense had to be out there 75% of the time.
And Ibelieve the starting 11 never got a breather

31:47 Irish

16:13 X

31:47 Irish

16:13 X

Wow

Except for a couple of missed assignments that left receivers wide open the defense played great considering how long they were on the field.

The special teams fell for a fake punt, couldn't recover a 25 yard kickoff squib, had an extra point blocked and missed a 22 yard FG in overtime. Need to improve

Kreimer is an exciting wide receiver and kick returner.
Would prefer seeing him at those positions rather than QB

Last edited:
Final TD for the Irish was a shovel pass to their WR Bo Sanders and not the QB.
St. X had the ball unofficially for 4:38 in the 3rd and 4th qtr. Credit to the Irish Offensive line for doing a very good job on 2 crucial drives and a pooch kick recovered by the Irish.
Cathedral coming into this game at 1-3 had the lead going into the 4th quarter in all 4 games prior and were 5 or 6 plays from being 4-0. They are not a bad football team, just have some players that are inexperienced and learning during a difficult schedule. This game was played 1 day after the 100th birthday of Cathedral High School. Still plenty of room for the Irish to improve prior to the State Tournament.

I wish the St. Xavier Bombers the best on the rest of their season, and look forward to making the trip to St. X next year.

Last edited:
Painful loss. Reload, I think I'm with you on Hudy but for different reasons. I also am really down on the play calling, it seemed like every pass play call with Kreimer in was all sideline. there is nothing in the middle of the field to keep the defense honest.
My hunch is that Hudy was pulled due to judgement issues. He has to be a game manager and not turn the ball over. 1st series pick on bad read, 2nd series a near fumble on bad toss. But if we aren't going to run the ball the pass game can't be dynamic without Kreimer at WR so my default is Wyatt at QB.
I owe 4GX an apology, I downplayed his kicking game and run comments a few weeks ago and he was right on both.
run game: Superior size and talent on our OL, but unable to run. Doesn't seem like we have any straight power mano a mano run plays in the play book. Kids said several run plays worked on all week but not called.

Reload need an injury update:
Newman: looked like ankle but not severe? need him next week with Payne situation.

Payne: looked bad and maybe internal? Looked like rib and lots of discussion with the med staff. Great kid and hope he is ok, gotta think he is out for a few weeks.

Last comment: X must blame itself but needed ref help. 4th down play in OT was clearly PI, ref right there but afraid to make the call. X put the game in refs hands which is its own fault, but terrible no call at that time. DB never turned head and hit Kreimer well before ball arrival.

Painful loss. Reload, I think I'm with you on Hudy but for different reasons. I also am really down on the play calling, it seemed like every pass play call with Kreimer in was all sideline. there is nothing in the middle of the field to keep the defense honest.
My hunch is that Hudy was pulled due to judgement issues. He has to be a game manager and not turn the ball over. 1st series pick on bad read, 2nd series a near fumble on bad toss. But if we aren't going to run the ball the pass game can't be dynamic without Kreimer at WR so my default is Wyatt at QB.
I owe 4GX an apology, I downplayed his kicking game and run comments a few weeks ago and he was right on both.
run game: Superior size and talent on our OL, but unable to run. Doesn't seem like we have any straight power mano a mano run plays in the play book. Kids said several run plays worked on all week but not called.

When Kreimer, Clifford, Stockman and Lang go out for a pass, the opportunities for completions, yardage and scores are unlimited.
The field gets stretched, lanes are created, defenses panic and guys are wide open.
Maybe Hudepohl is not the guy to get him the ball
Maybe it's Rueve or Britt or Klare or somebody else.
I prefer Kreimer as a WR instead of QB
This is just coming from an over zealous fan who knows very little about football.
I know the coaches and players will figure it out like they always do.
I edited and/or deleted my posts from during/right after the game that were negative toward the players and coaches.
All of them have always and are doing a great job!
We are lucky to have the classiest players and coaching staff year in and year out.
I love StX football and my deepest apologies to anyone that may have been offended by my inconsiderate remarks.

GO X!!

Last edited:
Last comment: X must blame itself but needed ref help. 4th down play in OT was clearly PI, ref right there but afraid to make the call. X put the game in refs hands which is its own fault, but terrible no call at that time. DB never turned head and hit Kreimer well before ball arrival.

Not to be too technical but there was no 4th down pass play in OT by St. Xavier. In OT the 4th down play was a missed FG by St. Xavier. In my personal opinion there was no PI called because there was no PI but I'm sure we will disagree on that.

The game wasn't lost or won on that one play. The biggest differences in the game in my personal opinion was St. Xavier had 2 turnovers (fumble and Int) and Cathedral had 0, Cathedral had 118 yards rushing to St. Xavier's 27 yards rushing, and Cathedral ran 67 plays to St. Xavier's 47 only allowing St. X to have the ball for 4:38 in the 2nd half. Those were the main differences between winning and losing.

Again I wish the St. Xavier Bombers the best on the rest of their season.

yes, you are correct, it was 3rd down in OT on the PI, issue, and yes we'll agree to disagree, was standing right there and thought it PI. You are mostly certainly correct, that play didn't win/lose the game. Cathedral certainly outplayed X, doubling up on time of possession and only 27 yds rushing is a stellar effort by Cathedral D. No disrespect intended. Enjoy your discussion and look forward to chatting next year. BTW, Irish sweep, won JV and Frosh games too. Good luck rest of the way.

IMO, the worst thing you can do to a QB at any level is have them looking over their shoulder. Wyatt is a really talented kid.

I'm sorry that was an offensive crap show against Cathedral. Nobody is disputing talent. However, I am disputing what is going on between the ears of some of these kids.