Week 4: Cathedral

Agree. Those kids did get it done on both sides of the ball. If they had a little more help from the QB position who knows what could have happened. The losses to Moe were painful.

Yes, they were...esp when both games were winnable to me. I'll stop there before I work myself up for no reason lol. Point being just a fun team to watch on both sides of the ball as you said. Many fond memories from that season. That's how I want my Bomber teams to look like as far as grit and toughness goes.

Clifford QB Rating 2014 - 124.5
Team QB Rating 2014- 111.0

Clifford QB Rating 2015 -124.7
Team QB Rating 2015 - 125.9

2014 team definitely lost QB rating points when Clifford went out. So my argument about better QB play was wrong. They did have essentially equal QB play (124.5 vs. 124.7) for most of the year until Cliff went down.

Team rushing 2014 - 1929 yards - 4.9 avg
Team rushing 2015 - 1667 yards - 4.3 avg

So 2014 team did benefit from a marginally better, but significant, running game.

2014 ppg average 27.46
2015 ppg average 26.25

In other words, 2014 was a better rushing and scoring team than 2015. 2015 was a better passing team. Cliff has essentially been the same (at least from a statistical standpoint) when he has been in. 2014 QB rating went down when he got hurt. So what's the argument again?

Hey man, my only point was if the 2015 class got more production out the QB position that season maybe they could have done even better.

Safe travels to the St. Xavier football players and coaches, and also to the Bomber fans that will make the trip to Butler. Should be a great game tonight!

I'm starting to wonder if BB94 is really a St X fan at all. X has never really been know as a high-powered offensive team. Even when they won state titles they were playing tough defense and winning field position. Since Specht has been the HC I have never heard of or considered X as being/having a high-powered offense.

Rest assured, I am a fan. I believe their high power offense were the years they made it to state or the semis. Years with high power, 92, 98, 01, 05, 07, 11. This is my opinion, doesn't make it fact. Their defense was lights out, but offense has to score the majority of points to be effective. Defenses have won games, but offense has to contribute for a team to be dominant.

Mentor (1-3) lost last night to Euclid 47-37 in a rare Thursday night game.
Looks like the win over Mentor may not generate much in the way of Harbins.
Makes tonight's win even more important since Cathedral will likely run the table.

Defensively I have been surprised that a pair of 180lb seniors have grabbed the LB spots alongside fellow senior Brady Stoll. I figured the bigger younger LBs would move into those spots.
Bacevich is getting more PT on the Dline opposite Jefferson.
Stallworth looks to be over whatever kept him out of last weeks game.

Offensively Cliff has taken more snaps in this week's practice than last week.
Probably start Wolf. No changes on the OLine.....hopefully they clear the way for the RBs who only mustered 22 yards on 15 carries vs Mentor. Wolf carried the ball as much as the RBs (14 carries for 63 yards) mostly on designed plays. Mentor D must have been keying on the RBs.

Should be a great game tonight
Go Bombers!

Makes tonight's win even more important since Cathedral will likely run the table.

Defensively I have been surprised that a pair of 180lb seniors have grabbed the LB spots alongside fellow senior Brady Stoll. I figured the bigger younger LBs would move into those spots.

Probably start Wolf. No changes on the OLine.....hopefully they clear the way for the RBs who only mustered 22 yards on 15 carries vs Mentor. Wolf carried the ball as much as the RBs (14 carries for 63 yards) mostly on designed plays. Mentor D must have been keying on the RBs.

Go Bombers!

I wouldn't say Cathedral is likely to run the table. They are in 6A and are in the South brackets come tournament time. Ben Davis, Center Grove, and Warren Central are all in the South brackets. Cathedral also plays @ Center Grove (Last years State Champions) in the last week of the regular season. It's possible but I wouldn't say likely.

Go Bombers!

Very important game for the Bombers playoff hopes. I am in the right state, but not anywhere close to the game (sadly). Will be listening I hope but if anyone can provide updates on this thread, I would appreciate it.

Sounds like the Bombers are pulling a Moeller impersonation - undisciplined. And the decision to punt on the 36 is beyond stupid. It's not even close by any metric you want to use.

Hell of a game. Clifford is an animal, even while only playing at 50%. Hope he's ok after that last TD run, as well as #74. Another costly game for Cathedral as their starting safety #12 went out with a pretty gruesome lower leg injury. He's probably done for the year.

I'll say officiating was terrible, and actually in my opinion St. X get the short end of the stick. Some phantom PI's called on the Bombers and in my opinion the only PI that should have been called wasn't and that was the face guard on a Cathedral WR down near the goal line. Never seen so many offsetting penalties in my life.

Cathedral put themselves in a huge hole early, and without their two best offensive players I thought this had blowout written all over it. Cathedral responded nicely, albeit to some special team errors, but this was the first time Cathedral faced adversity all year.

Play of the game came on the high snap where the punter batted it out of the end zone for a safety. Very, very big heads up play by the punter. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Cathedral didn't kick a FG at the end of the half on the 5 yard. A 2 point deficit vs a 5 point deficit completely changed the landscape of the game.

I know X wasn't at full strength either, but really frustrating that Cathedral couldn't put their best lineup. X is always a huge measuring stick for Cathedral, and they've come up short so many times over the years. I know the series record is extremely lopsided but I hope X fans value this game as much as us Cathedral fans. Indy always gets the reputation of little brother, and rightfully so, to Ohio and especially Cincy but there are some good teams here in town.

Anyways, best of luck to the Bombers the rest the way. Despite what some of the critics say, that is a damn good football team.

Congrats to the St. X Bombers! Best of luck the rest of the year! Another hard fought game with St. X. The Irish are getting pretty banged up and need to get healthy before the playoffs. Lost one of our best tacklers tonight in Boston College commit Ben Stewart.

Hopefully we get healthy and hopefully St. X gets healthy too.

Hell of a game. Clifford is an animal, even while only playing at 50%. Hope he's ok after that last TD run, as well as #74. Another costly game for Cathedral as their starting safety #12 went out with a pretty gruesome lower leg injury. He's probably done for the year.

I'll say officiating was terrible, and actually in my opinion St. X get the short end of the stick. Some phantom PI's called on the Bombers and in my opinion the only PI that should have been called wasn't and that was the face guard on a Cathedral WR down near the goal line. Never seen so many offsetting penalties in my life.

Cathedral put themselves in a huge hole early, and without their two best offensive players I thought this had blowout written all over it. Cathedral responded nicely, albeit to some special team errors, but this was the first time Cathedral faced adversity all year.

Play of the game came on the high snap where the punter batted it out of the end zone for a safety. Very, very big heads up play by the punter. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Cathedral didn't kick a FG at the end of the half on the 5 yard. A 2 point deficit vs a 5 point deficit completely changed the landscape of the game.

I know X wasn't at full strength either, but really frustrating that Cathedral couldn't put their best lineup. X is always a huge measuring stick for Cathedral, and they've come up short so many times over the years. I know the series record is extremely lopsided but I hope X fans value this game as much as us Cathedral fans. Indy always gets the reputation of little brother, and rightfully so, to Ohio and especially Cincy but there are some good teams here in town.

Anyways, best of luck to the Bombers the rest the way. Despite what some of the critics say, that is a damn good football team.

X teams/fans definitely value this game and appreciate the Irish. This year, this game could easily be the difference between X making or not making the playoffs. I know it has to be frustrating for Cathedral fans as the record does not indicate that competiveness of the series. I'd like to think that even with all the losses, Cathedral still sees value in playing.

X teams/fans definitely value this game and appreciate the Irish. This year, this game could easily be the difference between X making or not making the playoffs. I know it has to be frustrating for Cathedral fans as the record does not indicate that competiveness of the series. I'd like to think that even with all the losses, Cathedral still sees value in playing.

Oh definitely. Cathedral has been forced up to Indiana's highest class due to our success factor, but St. X is usually always the best team on Cathedral's roster, and most of the time that includes Ben Davis or Warren Central. St. X is the program Cathedral wants/tries to emulate. Cathedral only has 600 boys but for us fans St. X is always our measuring stick. I think I can speak for any CHS fan reading this that St. X is the most respected team on the roster year in and year out.

Look forward to next year's matchup. Cathedral brings back a lot and should be a great game once again at your place.

I wouldn't say Cathedral is likely to run the table. They are in 6A and are in the South brackets come tournament time. Ben Davis, Center Grove, and Warren Central are all in the South brackets. Cathedral also plays @ Center Grove (Last years State Champions) in the last week of the regular season. It's possible but I wouldn't say likely.

Amazing that the winningest high school football program in the state of Indiana has never belonged to a league and never had a home field.

The Butler Bowl was a great atmosphere.
Probably 5,000 to 6,000 spectators who were treated to a great game between 2 great programs.

Lucas Oil Field and the Butler Bowl are fantastic venues for a high school game.

Streif and Specht's relationship have kept this series rolling.
Let's hope it continues after their gone.

Amazing that the winningest high school football program in the state of Indiana has never belonged to a league and never had a home field.

The Butler Bowl was a great atmosphere.
Probably 5,000 to 6,000 spectators who were treated to a great game between 2 great programs.

Lucas Oil Field and the Butler Bowl are fantastic venues for a high school game.

Streif and Specht's relationship have kept this series rolling.
Let's hope it continues after their gone.

Cathedral use to have a home field when it was located in Downtown Indianapolis. Their home field was the CYO Field. It was across the street from the Indianapolis Indian's old baseball field (Busch Stadium). When they moved to the North East Side and became a private school they no longer had a home field.

Sounds like the Bombers are pulling a Moeller impersonation - undisciplined. And the decision to punt on the 36 is beyond stupid. It's not even close by any metric you want to use.

Yes it was......since it was a touchback it was a net 16 yards.
Being without a reliable place kicker almost cost the Bombers a second loss (see Colerain game).

When the score was 29-28 half way through the 4th quarter the Bombers were faced with 4th and 9 and the option of kicking a 42 yard FG to take the lead.
Instead they went for it and gained 5 yards turning it over on downs.
The best place kicker on the team, Kevin Rockwood, will not be eligible for Moeller this Friday but will be available the following week vs. Elder. He is pretty accurate from 45 and in.

The punting game is usually pretty solid and Josh Glaser is a dependable punter. He mishandled one punt which resulted in a turnover deep in Bomber territory which led to a Cathedral TD and also had one snapped over his head (he's 6 foot 6 inches tall for crying out loud) and through the end zone for a safety.

X was undisciplined, jumping off sides 3 times that I can remember, which resulted in Irish 1st downs and sustained drives.

With the Bomber's brutal schedule it is key to have a couple D1 caliber QBs in Clifford and Wolf who rotated tonight as Clifford reinjured his ankle throughout the game.

X has already had to develop an offensive line without arguably their 2 best linemen (300lb'ers Bockhorst and Altimari lost in preseason to ACL tears) and now their 280lb left tackle may have a knee problem as well.

Hopefully Stewart's injury is not serious....hardnosed player and wrestler.
Werner looks to have fully recovered from his hip surgery.....guy was making plays all over the field. Will be fun to watch him play for an Irish football team at the next level.

Barrow and Davis were key in keeping the Bomber rushing attack under 100 yards.

The officiating was bad.....8 pass interference calls against the Bombers?!?!.
But the Irish passing attack is crazy good, especially the tandem of Daijon Collins (quick and elusive) and Sanders (tall and sure handed).
If and when Markese Steppe returns that offense will be difficult to prepare for and stop.

Oh definitely. Cathedral has been forced up to Indiana's highest class due to our success factor, but St. X is usually always the best team on Cathedral's roster, and most of the time that includes Ben Davis or Warren Central. St. X is the program Cathedral wants/tries to emulate. Cathedral only has 600 boys but for us fans St. X is always our measuring stick. I think I can speak for any CHS fan reading this that St. X is the most respected team on the roster year in and year out.

Look forward to next year's matchup. Cathedral brings back a lot and should be a great game once again at your place.

Cathedral will stay on StX's schedule....the Bombers are dropping Warren Central and Mentor next season to pair down on the travel. Going forward will keep 3 "long distance" team's on the schedule: St. Ignatius, Cathedral and Louisville StX

With the Bomber's brutal schedule it is key to have a couple D1 caliber QBs in Clifford and Wolf who rotated tonight as Clifford reinjured his ankle throughout the game.

X has already had to develop an offensive line without arguably their 2 best linemen (300lb'ers Bockhorst and Altimari lost in preseason to ACL tears) and now their 280lb left tackle may have a knee problem as well.

Hopefully Stewart's injury is not serious....hardnosed player and wrestler.
Werner looks to have fully recovered from his hip surgery.....guy was making plays all over the field. Will be fun to watch him play for an Irish football team at the next level.

Barrow and Davis were key in keeping the Bomber rushing attack under 100 yards.

The officiating was bad.....8 pass interference calls against the Bombers?!?!.
But the Irish passing attack is crazy good, especially the tandem of Daijon Collins (quick and elusive) and Sanders (tall and sure handed).
If and when Markese Steppe returns that offense will be difficult to prepare for and stop.

Cathedral throwing the ball 46 times is almost unheard of. That's how much they miss Stepp and Ekiyor. Thought Cathedral slung it around pretty well tonight but X didn't respect the run at all. Sanders and Collins were both dominant at times tonight and you put Stepp in the backfield Cathedral is getting 1 on 1 coverage all night, and a lot of those matchups I like.

It's amazing what X's line looked like without their two best players if that's truly the case. That is a college sized line. I know a lot of you guys give Specht a hard time on here, but he executed the perfect game plan against Cathedral's D which I honestly felt was pretty good. I'm not a fan of Cathedral's alignment at all. I get the concept, they aren't going to let anyone get outside them or behind them, but they are so vulnerable getting gashed up the middle and they give you the seam and underneath routes all night.

I've read a lot of the material on this thread throughout the week, and honestly cannot believe there's a debate about who's better between Clifford and Wolfe. Clifford at 50% was night and day better than Wolfe. Wolfe threw a nice ball on a deep post but other than that he threw behind and over the heads all night. I don't know if it's a rhythm thing, but Clifford just looked so much better even after being out for a few games.

Also, for anyone at the game, what was the call on 4th and G late in the first half? Thought it was asinine Cathedral didn't take the points on the first go around, but their was a defensive penalty on the Bombers that I could have sworn was a PI or defensive holding yet it was only marked up 5 yards and a repeat of 4th down. Cathedral had another chance to get it right by taking the points but again went for it on 4th down.

I know the series record is extremely lopsided but I hope X fans value this game as much as us Cathedral fans. Indy always gets the reputation of little brother, and rightfully so, to Ohio and especially Cincy but there are some good teams here in town.

I'm actually stunned that the record is so lop-sided. It never feels like a gimme game. I was a sophomore when the series started, and over the years, Cathedral has put up fights as good as any team in the GCL year-after-year.

Honestly, that record only makes them more impressive - they're not going to back down and always looking to get better, even if they could go elsewhere for an easy win.

I'm actually stunned that the record is so lop-sided. It never feels like a gimme game. I was a sophomore when the series started, and over the years, Cathedral has put up fights as good as any team in the GCL year-after-year.

Honestly, that record only makes them more impressive - they're not going to back down and always looking to get better, even if they could go elsewhere for an easy win.

And that's why I think it's a good fit for both teams. Indiana doesn't have a qualification system for the playoffs, everyone makes. So by playing X, Moeller, LaSalle in the regular season it's good preparation for CHS because honestly there's few teams in Indiana that are the caliber of the GCL South. We know that if we can at least hang and compete with the Cincy teams, we can compete with anyone in our state.

I also think that beating a team like Cathedral bodes well for the Cincy schools because more times than not, Cathedral is ranked at the top in the state of Indiana, and in turn is a quality win.

Also, for anyone at the game, what was the call on 4th and G late in the first half? Thought it was asinine Cathedral didn't take the points on the first go around, but their was a defensive penalty on the Bombers that I could have sworn was a PI or defensive holding yet it was only marked up 5 yards and a repeat of 4th down. Cathedral had another chance to get it right by taking the points but again went for it on 4th down.

Not at the game, but PI is not an automatic first down in high school

Am I wrong? If we lose this game, it will be because of bad special teams and poor discipline. Distinctly non-St. X football. And frankly, disappointing.

I've been very vocal about our lack of focus on special teams for years. It is 1/3 of the game. Hold people accountable and it will change. Until then, more of the same.

I've been very vocal about our lack of focus on special teams for years. It is 1/3 of the game. Hold people accountable and it will change. Until then, more of the same.

I think we have been pretty good on special teams the last few years, particularly when compared to other high school teams. Maybe not as good as 2000-2010, but good. This year appears to be a a completely differnt story, particularly with respect to the inept kicking game. Hopefully they get it fixed.

I think we have been pretty good on special teams the last few years, particularly when compared to other high school teams. Maybe not as good as 2000-2010, but good. This year appears to be a a completely differnt story, particularly with respect to the inept kicking game. Hopefully they get it fixed.

We have had putrid kicking for as long as I can remember. Not as much punting as placekicking.

St. X played a bad game. However, they won. The fought and fought and never gave up, but X has got to get the penalties under control. Many times Cathedral should have had a 3 and out, we ended up giving them a free 1st down. Wasn't it around 9 penalties for 84 yards? That was said before the game ever ended so it may have been more.