"Voluntary" Work Outs

14Red

So the NFL is in the news this week - big shock - about the off season workouts. There seems to be an issue with the health and safety protochols and what not.

Anyway, what's the big deal? Aren't they "voluntary" workouts anyway? If a guy doesn't want to show up, he doesn't have to.

Now the understanding is if you're a star player, you likely have a spot on the team. If you're fighting for a spot on the team, you'd probably better not give the team a reason to cut you.

Rona is just an excuse players are using as to why they don't want to show up.

Plain and simple.

Many will point to last season in saying it does not matter. I think over the long haul if teams do not do off season workouts that the product will decline.

This is what the NFL gets for that additional game; they negotiated away an important tool for the coaches to make more $s. I am sure the players would show up for mandatory off season training if they can give back that 17th game but that would be a no-go for the owners at this point. Get use to it, its a 10 year deal so both sides will take advantage of what they wanted most in this collective bargaining agreement.

By the way I don't think off season practices change the quality of the product on the field, what does are the key injuries due to dangerous plays and some of the tweaks to rules that overly favor the offense during passing plays.

The NFLPA also now had a strong smart leader. He'll figure out ways within the confines of the CBA to toy with the owners until the CBA expires.

In the players defense...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring guys in from all over the country, go through the COVID testing and protocols, go through a couple practices which are still restricted and then everyone goes home. It was always my opinion that "Voluntary Workouts" were used more as a way teams kinda tried to make sure guys were in shape. That's why there's always incentives in contracts for going. Most guys now put themselves through pretty serious offseason workouts while rehabbing their bodies. Plus the offenses will meet up somewhere out work on the playbook. And they can do that without having to go through all the red tape. The days of just showing up and going are far gone.

This is what the NFL gets for that additional game; they negotiated away an important tool for the coaches to make more $s. I am sure the players would show up for mandatory off season training if they can give back that 17th game but that would be a no-go for the owners at this point. Get use to it, its a 10 year deal so both sides will take advantage of what they wanted most in this collective bargaining agreement.

By the way I don't think off season practices change the quality of the product on the field, what does are the key injuries due to dangerous plays and some of the tweaks to rules that overly favor the offense during passing plays.
I agree, the off season stuff and OTA's and all the other stuff is just they NFL's way of marketing year around. The NFL isn't dumb. They have something going on about every month of the year to keep fans attention. The days after the draft crack me up, everyone thinks they are going 10-6 and making the playoffs this fall.

In the players defense...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring guys in from all over the country, go through the COVID testing and protocols, go through a couple practices which are still restricted and then everyone goes home. It was always my opinion that "Voluntary Workouts" were used more as a way teams kinda tried to make sure guys were in shape. That's why there's always incentives in contracts for going. Most guys now put themselves through pretty serious offseason workouts while rehabbing their bodies. Plus the offenses will meet up somewhere out work on the playbook. And they can do that without having to go through all the red tape. The days of just showing up and going are far gone.

Good heavens, I'd hope they are going to do away with the covid testing and the protochols. What a sham. Did any NFL, or college player become sick enough the past 12 months to be hospitalized? In a normal year in the past a few would have had some other physical ailments. Time to kick the covid crap to the curb.

Good heavens, I'd hope they are going to do away with the covid testing and the protochols. What a sham. Did any NFL, or college player become sick enough the past 12 months to be hospitalized? In a normal year in the past a few would have had some other physical ailments. Time to kick the covid crap to the curb.

Yes there's been several players at all levels who've ended up in the hospital. And I'm sure they'll look to ease the protocols based on the amount of players who've been vaccinated. Remember these leagues are listening to what their medical experts tell them. Not politicians...and if you haven't noticed we're still having games cancelled in some leagues. We just don't notice because the major NCAA sports aren't playing.

Yes there's been several players at all levels who've ended up in the hospital. And I'm sure they'll look to ease the protocols based on the amount of players who've been vaccinated. Remember these leagues are listening to what their medical experts tell them. Not politicians...and if you haven't noticed we're still having games cancelled in some leagues. We just don't notice because the major NCAA sports aren't playing.
I think you're going to see a major shift in how this is handled moving forward. First of you have STADIUMS in some states open for 100% capacity. In another few months you'll see most states fully open. To think in the fall the NFL will still being doing covid testing and all the other stuff is a little far fetched, in my opinion.
I think the general public vaccination rate will struggle to get to 50% and yet things are opening up. We'll never hear a mia culpa from the left, it will just continue to open up and we'll never hear that this was slightly overblown.

I think you're going to see a major shift in how this is handled moving forward. First of you have STADIUMS in some states open for 100% capacity. In another few months you'll see most states fully open. To think in the fall the NFL will still being doing covid testing and all the other stuff is a little far fetched, in my opinion.
I think the general public vaccination rate will struggle to get to 50% and yet things are opening up. We'll never hear a mia culpa from the left, it will just continue to open up and we'll never hear that this was slightly overblown.

We were talking about Voluntary Workouts which are a couple weeks away. And teams will continue to test their players and staffs for the foreseeable future. Outbreaks on teams must still be handled by basically a two week quarantine. Just because you personally think it's been overblown we're approaching 600K deaths as a country.

Sad worthless 45 made it about politics. Wonder how many lives he cost?

We were talking about Voluntary Workouts which are a couple weeks away. And teams will continue to test their players and staffs for the foreseeable future. Outbreaks on teams must still be handled by basically a two week quarantine. Just because you personally think it's been overblown we're approaching 600K deaths as a country.

Sad worthless 45 made it about politics. Wonder how many lives he cost?
Let's do a little projecting...there is NO games being played. these workouts are voluntary, have been voluntary and now the teams don't even care if the players come. So for right now, I could care less about what they do. But I'll tell you this, when it's late summer and the games start coming, there will be no two week quarantine. I'd actually bet that there was no one in the super bowl or the NCAA championship that tested positive because maybe they didn't test??

FYI, there are 2.8 million deaths in America annually. That's 2,800,000,000. We already know that a huge percentage of the 600,000 had at least one or multiple co-morbidities.

Let's do a little projecting...there is NO games being played. these workouts are voluntary, have been voluntary and now the teams don't even care if the players come. So for right now, I could care less about what they do. But I'll tell you this, when it's late summer and the games start coming, there will be no two week quarantine. I'd actually bet that there was no one in the super bowl or the NCAA championship that tested positive because maybe they didn't test??

FYI, there are 2.8 million deaths in America annually. That's 2,800,000,000. We already know that a huge percentage of the 600,000 had at least one or multiple co-morbidities.

I'm just glad that you're consistent in being an idiot across all sports on here. NCAA players were in a literal bubble the entire tournament. They didn't go to the mall, they didn't do anything but basically practice and held hostage at the hotels. It was covered by every single media outlet. Even more so when the woman dealt with their issues. Then caches even said they didn't want testing and were met by very stern "Everyone will continue to be tested and it's not up for debate. We don't care if you're in a bubble".

The NFL had issues all season including not knowing if some guys would be eligible to play...even up to the Super Bowl. Again, these were covered at great length by the media. Everyone trying to predict when a guy might be cleared and teams keeping it as hush as possible.

And you don't even understand what "Voluntary" Workouts are. Sure they're optional except for that signing bonus that you'll lose if you don't go. Or whatever large bonus the team links to a player showing up. They run around for a couple days basically so the teams can check on injuries and make sure guys are in shape. New guys used to get their playbooks. All of that is pointless now in that it can be done from anywhere in the world.

And yes, the teams will continue to quarantine until the guidelines state there's no need to. There's this thing called liability and to simply ignore them would put schools/organizations in a heck of a pickle in the case that something goes wrong.

I'm just glad that you're consistent in being an idiot across all sports on here. NCAA players were in a literal bubble the entire tournament. They didn't go to the mall, they didn't do anything but basically practice and held hostage at the hotels. It was covered by every single media outlet. Even more so when the woman dealt with their issues. Then caches even said they didn't want testing and were met by very stern "Everyone will continue to be tested and it's not up for debate. We don't care if you're in a bubble".

The NFL had issues all season including not knowing if some guys would be eligible to play...even up to the Super Bowl. Again, these were covered at great length by the media. Everyone trying to predict when a guy might be cleared and teams keeping it as hush as possible.

And you don't even understand what "Voluntary" Workouts are. Sure they're optional except for that signing bonus that you'll lose if you don't go. Or whatever large bonus the team links to a player showing up. They run around for a couple days basically so the teams can check on injuries and make sure guys are in shape. New guys used to get their playbooks. All of that is pointless now in that it can be done from anywhere in the world.

And yes, the teams will continue to quarantine until the guidelines state there's no need to. There's this thing called liability and to simply ignore them would put schools/organizations in a heck of a pickle in the case that something goes wrong.
So let me get this straight...NCAA athletes were put into bubbles, tested daily and some still tested positive somehow. But the general public were ok with continuing to work, got to stores, shop, go to high school games, etc.???
This is where the lunacy of all this comes into play. For professional and collegiate athletes, they were put into guidelines and protochols that, IN MY OPINION, were not necessary. Were never necessary. Administrators got high on the hog last summer, decided to cook up these ideas to be able to progress with their seasons. Absolutely...good for them. They had to do that to keep the crazy left from going bonkers on them, and many of them lean left anyway, although they live in a capitalistic society that affords many to make millions playing a sport...oh well, do what you have to do.

My point is this...for many of us...our lives didn't change. We continued to get up, go to work daily, go to the store, never missed. Didn't test daily, and most got along just fine. Speaking of being consistent, how about being consistent for all people. Why do pro athletes and college athletes deserve to get tested? It simply was no necessary. that's my main point.

I'm certainly grateful that most of the sports leagues plowed ahead and completed seasons. I will contend however that due to these silly protochols, many teams were left without many key players in key games. Heck, maybe Ohio State beats Alabama if they have their full compliment of players? But the rules were set back at the start of the season and we can't change them, or could we?

The NFL is a multi billion dollar business. The players are paid generational wealth to play a game. Part of the NFL's branding is having activities spaced out year around. So part of their pay is based on being able to fulfill their contracts. Now is it too much to ask for guys to show up for workouts so you can keep an eye on the investment these franchises have made? All I ask for is just a little gratitude from these athletes from time to time.

No, kids weren't testing positive inside the bubble so coaches wanted the NCAA to do away with testing. The NCAA said No.

Your comments about about the NFL are 100% false. In fact they only get paid during the regular season.

Like many private businesses, there were protocols put in place. These weren't just put in because some politician wanted them. It was because medical advisors, legal teams and insurance companies advised on how they should proceed. If said private company or NFL don't follow their own protocols they are asking for a large lawsuit. This doesn't just apply to COVID, kinda the same as concussions.

And a statement from today....The Buffalo Bills GM said he'd cut players who refused to get vaccinated if it kept them from getting back to normal in terms of practices and meetings.

2.8 million equals 2,800,000.

Agree with many of your points regarding Covid, however.

So where's all the pushback about the OTA's?? I see teams working out normal, pre Covid??? Did they finally come to their senses?

So where's all the pushback about the OTA's?? I see teams working out normal, pre Covid??? Did they finally come to their senses?
No, the CDC and pretty much the whole country opened up if you haven't been paying attention. In other leagues currently in play...teams can only relax their guidelines if a certain % of players get vaccinated.

Dude you typed in 2.8 Billion. Don't expect anyone to take your opinions about the effects of the virus seriously until you prove you can pass 3rd grade math.

All you need to do is talk to hospital doctors or nurses. (I'm married to a nurse). They will tell you that they saw things during the peak of this virus that they have never seen before, and hope to never see again. Overflowing intensive care units, no available ventilators in the entire hospital, etc. The virus was really serious - end of discussion. Leave your political BS rhetoric at the door.

Dude you typed in 2.8 Billion. Don't expect anyone to take your opinions about the effects of the virus seriously until you prove you can pass 3rd grade math.

All you need to do is talk to hospital doctors or nurses. (I'm married to a nurse). They will tell you that they saw things during the peak of this virus that they have never seen before, and hope to never see again. Overflowing intensive care units, no available ventilators in the entire hospital, etc. The virus was really serious - end of discussion. Leave your political BS rhetoric at the door.
No doubt it was serious.

Not serious enough to print about 8 trillion dollars, though.