UPDATE - Regional @ Port Clinton HS - Mateo Medina (Elyria) 46.05 (#3 All-Time) !!!

JAVMAN83

Just catching up on league action from the weekend, I notice that Elyria's Mateo Medina dropped a bombshell of a PB by almost 0.9 seconds in running 46.42 at his conference meet...good for #5 all-time performer on the Ohio 400m list. He also came back to win the 200m in 21.22 (-0.1 wind), only 0.35 off his 20.87 PB.

Should be fun at Dayton in a few weeks!

Top 5 400m boys all-time
45.36 - Chris Nelloms (Dayton Dunbar) - 1990
45.65 - Justin Braun (Westerville Central) - 2022
46.19 - Tyler Johnson (Dayton Stivers Arts) - 2016
46.41 - Robert Smith (Euclid) - 1990
46.42 - Mateo Medina (Elyria) - 2024

Including Jeff Walker's (Akron North) 46.2 MT over 440yd from 1976 (converts to a 46.0 MT for 400m), Medina would be #6 on the combined list. Outstanding.

I was going to post this when I saw the results last weekend and ask if you knew where it ranked all time. I figured it had to be top 5.

It looks like he'll be pushed all the way through state since Weatherspoon (who also went sub 48 at the SWC meet) is in the same district. Then at regionals, he should be joined by a couple other guys who are also sub 48. At state, barring th "chalk" holds, the finals field may be entirely made up of sub 48 guys three more who either already have gone sub 47 in their career (Ellerbee) or if not are certainly capable of doing so (Dietz/Jackson).

The question is can this fast field push Mateo to 45.58 or lower? Too bad Braun wasn't able to compete at state in 2022 because he probably would have broke Nellom's record, but maybe this is the year it actually happens.

It doesn't seem like the 200 record will fall, but considering he has a 20.87 under his belt last summer, he at least hss an outside shot of that.

One other thing that crossed my mind is this. If he wins the 1/2/4 triple, it could put Elyria in the "team" title mix. The funny thing is he is almost certain to be the only person (individual or relay) from Elyria to advance out of district. In fact, he may be the only one from Elyria to get out of the district prelims (I haven't looked closely enough at the prelim results in Amherst yet).

I know teams have won the title before with only one person scoring, but has a team ever won a title that didn't have any other individual/relay even advancing to regionals?

I'm doubting they can reach Nelloms' 45.59 or 20.47 from the '90 state meet (I saw those performances), but this could be the best 400m match-up since the '88-'90 duals of Nelloms vs. Robert Smith (Euclid) during those years. Should be interesting, and I hope they stay healthy.

Medina went 46.20 tonight and 21.21 (-1.2) at district.

It's definitely looking like he has a chance at sub 46 and sub 21 either next week or at state.
I just updated my all-time list. Now #4 A-T 400m, 0.01 behind Tyler Johnson. I think your predictions are very reasonable.

Medina went 46.20 tonight and 21.21 (-1.2) at district.

It's definitely looking like he has a chance at sub 46 and sub 21 either next week or at state.
And don't forget the national meets in which it may take times considerably faster than that to be in the hunt to win.

Top 5 400m boys all-time
45.36 - Chris Nelloms (Dayton Dunbar) - 1990
45.65 - Justin Braun (Westerville Central) - 2022
46.19 - Tyler Johnson (Dayton Stivers Arts) - 2016
46.20 - Mateo Medina (Elyria) - 2024
46.41 - Robert Smith (Euclid) - 1990

Including Jeff Walker's (Akron North) 46.2 MT over 440yd from 1976 (converts to a 46.0 MT for 400m), Medina would be #5 on the combined list. Outstanding.

Medina went 46.05 to win the 400 at Port Clinton (won the 100 in 10.43).

Didn't quite crack the 46 second mark but moved up to no. 3 all time.

Edit: He also won the 200 in 20.96

Last edited:
Medina went 46.05 to win the 400 at Port Clinton (won the 100 in 10.43).

Didn't quite crack the 46 second mark but moved up to no. 3 all time.

Edit: He also won the 200 in 20.96
Anyone know if there was a wind gauge working at Port Clinton, or just that that data hasn't been loaded yet. I mean, wind gauges have only been around since the early 80s for major meets...including some regionals back then. Good grief, this is not the Neanderthal Age.

Anyone know if there was a wind gauge working at Port Clinton, or just that that data hasn't been loaded yet. I mean, wind gauges have only been around since the early 80s for major meets...including some regionals back then. Good grief, this is not the Neanderthal Age.
If OHSAA wouldn't have pulled the meet from Findlay this year they had wind gauges for district meet. No field series to go along with wind reading from Wednesday posted so seems will not get either.

If OHSAA wouldn't have pulled the meet from Findlay this year they had wind gauges for district meet. No field series to go along with wind reading from Wednesday posted so seems will not get either.
Thanks for the info. I hope that's not the case, but if it is, it is UNBELIEVABLE and completely IRRESPONSIBLE for any meet in the state tournanment to host a meet and not be able to meet all neccessary requirements for setting scholastic records. That means wind gauges for both the sprints/hurdles and for the long jump, properly configured VAULT BOXES, matts that are appropriate sizes, vault/high jump STANDARDS that allow for vaults/jumps beyond state records, etc., etc. This is getting not only ridiculous, but scandalous, IMHO. OHSAA needs to crack a whip on making sure that ALL facilities are up-to-snuff prior to conducting the meets.

Thanks for the info. I hope that's not the case, but if it is, it is UNBELIEVABLE and completely IRRESPONSIBLE for any meet in the state tournanment to host a meet and not be able to meet all neccessary requirements for setting scholastic records. That means wind gauges for both the sprints/hurdles and for the long jump, properly configured VAULT BOXES, matts that are appropriate sizes, vault/high jump STANDARDS that allow for vaults/jumps beyond state records, etc., etc. This is getting not only ridiculous, but scandalous, IMHO. OHSAA needs to crack a whip on making sure that ALL facilities are up-to-snuff prior to conducting the meets.
Just one more confirmation that track & field is a low priority sport for the bureuacrats.

Just one more confirmation that track & field is a low priority sport for the bureuacrats.
I'm not sure I would classify it that way. It may be a matter of just plain ignorance or oversight by whomever is responsible at individual schools as to whether their facilities meet what is required. It is clear from this week that better oversight is needed by OHSAA to ensure that facilties meet spec AND can host record performances. Being part of the state tournament, both should be s.o.p.

I'm not sure I would classify it that way. It may be a matter of just plain ignorance or oversight by whomever is responsible at individual schools as to whether their facilities meet what is required. It is clear from this week that better oversight is needed by OHSAA to ensure that facilties meet spec AND can host record performances. Being part of the state tournament, both should be s.o.p.
The lack of oversight is exactly what I’m talking about. I can’t imagine OHSAA allowing similar issues in football or basketball going unaddressed. I seriously doubt anyone in Columbus will even hear about the things we are discussing or taking any action if they did. It just isn’t important to them.

Interviewed Karl Dietz of Chardon today, who went 46.62 last Friday, breaking a 36-year record by Robert Smith at the Austintown Fitch Regional. High energy kid. Going to Princeton. Excited and hoping to give Mateo a race. Should be fun.

Interviewed Karl Dietz of Chardon today, who went 46.62 last Friday, breaking a 36-year record by Robert Smith at the Austintown Fitch Regional. High energy kid. Going to Princeton. Excited and hoping to give Mateo a race. Should be fun.
Nice. I just updated my all-time lists last night and noted Dietz has moved into a tie for #7 all-time in the 400m. Should be a great final on Saturday.