Travel Team Tryouts Cinci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it is Better in the Long Run

I am led to believe the coaches were out there to protect there players interest more than anything else. Call it sour grapes if you like but I set through the whole tryout process and watched all 4 scrimmage games and have a hard time believing that my son couldn't make this squad. He is 6"1 and 195 lbs won all three of his face-offs and scored two goals during the scrimmages. Not saying he was even close to the best middy but find it very hard to beliveve that preformance doesn't allow him to sniff the top 20 middies????
In looking at these teams, the players are very solid players, and yes there a number of team mates and a number of well connected kids based on the last names an the programs that they come from. They will make a great team, and will benefit from knowing each other and being friends.

Another way to perhaps look at this outcome might be: (For your son), this should mean that he should continue to work harder and get stronger while also becoming a better lax player without the travel team this summer, and hope that he can make it next summer. As we all know good things are worth working for, and sometimes the best thing that can happen is for a young player to face a challenge like this one. Playing elite lax is something that is earned by many factors, and you and your son can determine what the missing pieces are and put them in place for next season. However for you to have written a few posts on the topic, you probably already have many thoughts about this, and probably are already working on what ever it takes to make your son a better player. Best of luck to him in this growth process. Good luck to the teams from Southern Ohio in the challenging venues that they have selected to play in this summer too. It will be great to hear updates, beginning with Lax on the Lake results.

In looking at these teams, the players are very solid players, and yes there a number of team mates and a number of well connected kids based on the last names an the programs that they come from. They will make a great team, and will benefit from knowing each other and being friends.

Another way to perhaps look at this outcome might be: (For your son), this should mean that he should continue to work harder and get stronger while also becoming a better lax player without the travel team this summer, and hope that he can make it next summer. As we all know good things are worth working for, and sometimes the best thing that can happen is for a young player to face a challenge like this one. Playing elite lax is something that is earned by many factors, and you and your son can determine what the missing pieces are and put them in place for next season. However for you to have written a few posts on the topic, you probably already have many thoughts about this, and probably are already working on what ever it takes to make your son a better player. Best of luck to him in this growth process. Good luck to the teams from Southern Ohio in the challenging venues that they have selected to play in this summer too. It will be great to hear updates, beginning with Lax on the Lake results.
Badger

thank you for your words of encouragement and thoughts. As I stated before I am open-minded and would welcome any suggestions you might offer. All players have room to improve but given the facts I pointed out as far as size and his preformance what else could he have done? I think you hit the nail on the head with the CONNECTED part. I am not taking anything away from any of the boys who tried out but I can assure you there weren't 22 middies that even came close to preforming at the level my son did that day.

One thing for sure. My uncle Al always told me" It doesn't matter what you do or know. It matters who you know". Which is a hard lesson for a 15 year old to learn but he now understands. So what he did recieve was a very valueable life lesson.

Badger- Well Said! Any updates with Lax on the Lake? Hope it went well!

Confused Dad- I don't think it's very considerate to discredit a program that has made it their number one priority to keep the fairness element in tact. And if you truly understood how the selection process happened- you would be embarrassed for implying it's "who you know" vs. "how you play". And without fully understanding who it worked- why lead your son to believe such an incorrect theory... ? Not a very good life lesson, especially since it's false? Again, I don't have a son in this program, but I was there, and know the all the coaches on the field. Those selection coaches were the best coaches out of Cincinnati, and they were not allowed to have any say in their players outcome. Why would Velocity waste their time on an Open FREE tryout to any player in the city, if they already knew their team?? If it is "who you know"....a tryout wouldn't have been necessary. I've been around lacrosse a long time and a former coach in the Cinci area, and I was very impressed with this event. A "confused dad" should not imply the "who you know" theory unless you have researched this. Which --you may want to take a closer look at that roster again. 22 middies?? Did you consider some of those were returning Elite players?? So there was less availability in the midfield section maybe? Time to acquire the facts my friend.

Confused Dad- I don't think it's very considerate to discredit a program that has made it their number one priority to keep the fairness element in tact. And if you truly understood how the selection process happened- you would be embarrassed for implying it's "who you know" vs. "how you play". And without fully understanding who it worked- why lead your son to believe such an incorrect theory... ? Not a very good life lesson, especially since it's false? Again, I don't have a son in this program, but I was there, and know the all the coaches on the field. Those selection coaches were the best coaches out of Cincinnati, and they were not allowed to have any say in their players outcome. Why would Velocity waste their time on an Open FREE tryout to any player in the city, if they already knew their team?? If it is "who you know"....a tryout wouldn't have been necessary. I've been around lacrosse a long time and a former coach in the Cinci area, and I was very impressed with this event. A "confused dad" should not imply the "who you know" theory unless you have researched this. Which --you may want to take a closer look at that roster again. 22 middies?? Did you consider some of those were returning Elite players?? So there was less availability in the midfield section maybe? Time to acquire the facts my friend.
I have asked and would love to know. With my limited knowledge of the facts I have only to go on what I saw. Please feel free to educate me that's all I was and am asking for. I see a 5"8 135 pound freshmen and have no idea how that young man could be chosen over a kid who is 5 inches taller and 60 pounds bigger that won his faceoffs and scored two goals. Please help me become enlightened and understand. Like I originally stated call it sour grapes but please explain. You want to attack me stating I know nothing and all I ever asked was please tell me?

Honestly I am not trying to discredit anything or anybody but please explain the evaluation process if you know.

OhioLaxP is right. I went to these tryouts as well, as I have a rising 8th grader who is interested in travel teams. I went early and could overhear the beginning coaches meeting from up in the stands. All the Coaches were given rosters- and told to rank players(?).. and then Velocity staff told them they were not allowed to rank players from their own school! It took most coaches by surprise it looked like, but then it seemed everyone was happy with it? From what I gathered they were looking for a certain # of attack, mid, Def, lsm and goalies. I assume they tallied player ranks from all coaches to determine the top- which then made the teams? I don't see a way more fair than that? You figure with 100+ kids- there will be 70 not making it, considering they had 8 or 9 returning with the Elite team. I will be sending my son to this next year, and hopefully they will have more teams at that time.

OhioLaxP is right. I went to these tryouts as well, as I have a rising 8th grader who is interested in travel teams. I went early and could overhear the beginning coaches meeting from up in the stands. All the Coaches were given rosters- and told to rank players(?).. and then Velocity staff told them they were not allowed to rank players from their own school! It took most coaches by surprise it looked like, but then it seemed everyone was happy with it? From what I gathered they were looking for a certain # of attack, mid, Def, lsm and goalies. I assume they tallied player ranks from all coaches to determine the top- which then made the teams? I don't see a way more fair than that? You figure with 100+ kids- there will be 70 not making it, considering they had 8 or 9 returning with the Elite team. I will be sending my son to this next year, and hopefully they will have more teams at that time.

Fair enough I am done here. Just looking for a reasonable answer to a reasonable question and everyone wanted to defend the process not explain it. I must have my parental blinders on but still didn't see many more middies have more of an impact on the scrimmages than 3 won face-offs , two goals and an assist. That's all I'm saying. What else is a kid to do?

Good luck to the Velocity in all there tournaments this year.

Having had 2 kids already through this process several times, the first thing most coaches look for is does the kid have both a left and right? If your kid had an off night and missed a catch left-handed (let's say) a couple of times, that is enough for some coaches, regardless of faceoff percentage or goals. To my knowledge, the person in charge will usually tell you what your kid needs to work on if you ask them.
Sounds like your son loves the sport, so if he didn't make a traveling team, send him to a good camp - that's not a bad way to spend your summer. Good luck to you both.

Having had 2 kids already through this process several times, the first thing most coaches look for is does the kid have both a left and right? If your kid had an off night and missed a catch left-handed (let's say) a couple of times, that is enough for some coaches, regardless of faceoff percentage or goals. To my knowledge, the person in charge will usually tell you what your kid needs to work on if you ask them.

Excellent post, that has been my experience as well. It's not all about # of goals or whatever. In evaluating talent coaches tend to focus on fundamentals. Physical attributes are certainly a factor, not just H&W but speed and agility as well. And then the basic skills. Pass/catch w/both hands. Play good man-to-man defense. Scoop ground balls with confidence. None of these things show up in the box score but these are what evaluating coaches are looking at.

Ground Balls, Both Hands, Lots of Assists & A Great Attitude

Having had 2 kids already through this process several times, the first thing most coaches look for is does the kid have both a left and right? If your kid had an off night and missed a catch left-handed (let's say) a "couple of times, that is enough for some coaches, regardless of faceoff percentage or goals. To my knowledge, the person in charge will usually tell you what your kid needs to work on if you ask them.
Sounds like your son loves the sport, so if he didn't make a traveling team, send him to a good camp - that's not a bad way to spend your summer. Good luck to you both.

The guys have done a good job explaining a few things about the fairness and the math of the process. Coach Reed and others from Velocity are not rookies, nor are the evaluators. Borntolax said a few things here are a few more that will help your player develop:

100 left, 100 right on the wall, then repeat it. Shoot on the run 100 left, 100 right then repeat it. Face-off rule of thumb is "low man wins" Six footers are not normally the first choice. Best to focus on speed catching over his shoulder. How about ground balls and assists? Coaches in tryouts look for gb's and assists, versus "tryout" grade goal scorers. Also humility and positive attitude should surround your son, and as a player you want to strive for that when your son steps on the field the others around him play better because of him. If your son exhibits these traits and works hard he will have success in the game. Respectful acknowledgement of the privilege that he has the opportunity to play lacrosse will resonate with coaches evaluating your son.

Lax on the Lake Results And Schedule for June 19-20

Celtic Lacrosse had a tough weekend in Rochester
Unofficial word is that the two U17 teams did not win a game.
Celtic Premier North went 0-2-1
Celtic Premier South went 0-3

Better luck in two weeks in Philly

Royals Blue and White Teams (Rising Soph/Junior/Seniors) headed for Ruttgers MVP Tourney next week
Royals Rising (Rising Frosh)- Playing in High School B at Lax-in-ati they will be playing Velocity Varsity at noon on Saturday.
Velocity Varsity and Elite Teams both playing at Lax-in-ati

The guys have done a good job explaining a few things about the fairness and the math of the process. Coach Reed and others from Velocity are not rookies, nor are the evaluators. Borntolax said a few things here are a few more that will help your player develop:

100 left, 100 right on the wall, then repeat it. Shoot on the run 100 left, 100 right then repeat it. Face-off rule of thumb is "low man wins" Six footers are not normally the first choice. Best to focus on speed catching over his shoulder. How about ground balls and assists? Coaches in tryouts look for gb's and assists, versus "tryout" grade goal scorers. Also humility and positive attitude should surround your son, and as a player you want to strive for that when your son steps on the field the others around him play better because of him. If your son exhibits these traits and works hard he will have success in the game. Respectful acknowledgement of the privilege that he has the opportunity to play lacrosse will resonate with coaches evaluating your son.

That is a great post. Honoring this game and selfless play carries a HUGE amount of weight with coaches. I am on the coaching staff of an Elite Travel program in South Florida and if a young man can't go both hands at least close to the same, he will find it hard to make our teams. When you go to the NE and there are 40 kids from West/East Islip and Farmingdale going both hands strong, it is an eye opener for many kids and parents with dreams of D1. Badger is dead on concerning the attitude. If all other factors are even and one kid acts like a punk, it makes a choice easy for us. D1 talent isn't always enough.

BTW... Any Cincy U15's coming to Disney for the RISE games? Like to see you guys if your coming.....

Celtic Lacrosse had a tough weekend in Rochester
Unofficial word is that the two U17 teams did not win a game.
Celtic Premier North went 0-2-1
Celtic Premier South went 0-3

Celtic North actually went 1-1-1 and then lost in the Semi's

The Celtic U15's did a little better than their bigger brothers!

That is a great post. Honoring this game and selfless play carries a HUGE amount of weight with coaches. I am on the coaching staff of an Elite Travel program in South Florida and if a young man can't go both hands at least close to the same, he will find it hard to make our teams. When you go to the NE and there are 40 kids from West/East Islip and Farmingdale going both hands strong, it is an eye opener for many kids and parents with dreams of D1. Badger is dead on concerning the attitude. If all other factors are even and one kid acts like a punk, it makes a choice easy for us. D1 talent isn't always enough.

BTW... Any Cincy U15's coming to Disney for the RISE games? Like to see you guys if your coming.....

I would like to thank all of you for the last few post. That's the answers I was originally looking for, something constructive to tell my son. Not the how dare you question the integrity of the judging ect....

Excellent post, that has been my experience as well. It's not all about # of goals or whatever. In evaluating talent coaches tend to focus on fundamentals. Physical attributes are certainly a factor, not just H&W but speed and agility as well. And then the basic skills. Pass/catch w/both hands. Play good man-to-man defense. Scoop ground balls with confidence. None of these things show up in the box score but these are what evaluating coaches are looking at.

Is it possible or do you have any idea who to contact about anything specific the evaluators saw as negatives so that my son would know specifically what he needs to work on for next year?

I would like to thank all of you for the last few post. That's the answers I was originally looking for, something constructive to tell my son. Not the how dare you question the integrity of the judging ect....

You have very viable questions. I think all that anyone wants (and the boys deserve) is fairness in the process. With 100 kids out (I think I read that) 70+ are going away disapointed. Feedback to the boy about what they can do to improve is essential, not only for him to improve his skills, but also to guide him. He cared enough to come out and give the effort, he deserves that feedback. Coach Reed is a great guy and would probably give you that if you ask.

Lacrosse is a "lifetime" game. It is like a fraternity. Long after players hang up the football pads and baseball spikes, you can find a pick-up Lax game. Which leads me to another? Why do those 70 kids not just schedule pick-up games or another group of coaches step up and put together another travel team? Coaches, check me if I am wrong here, but the object is to keep sticks in hand and keep playing. Even a summer rec league would help. You don't have to go play the world to get better...

Thoughts?

You have very viable questions. I think all that anyone wants (and the boys deserve) is fairness in the process. With 100 kids out (I think I read that) 70+ are going away disapointed. Feedback to the boy about what they can do to improve is essential, not only for him to improve his skills, but also to guide him. He cared enough to come out and give the effort, he deserves that feedback. Coach Reed is a great guy and would probably give you that if you ask.

Lacrosse is a "lifetime" game. It is like a fraternity. Long after players hang up the football pads and baseball spikes, you can find a pick-up Lax game. Which leads me to another? Why do those 70 kids not just schedule pick-up games or another group of coaches step up and put together another travel team? Coaches, check me if I am wrong here, but the object is to keep sticks in hand and keep playing. Even a summer rec league would help. You don't have to go play the world to get better...

Thoughts?

Great post Mason Comets as usual.
There are several Summer Rec. leagues in Cincinnati. Depending on a players age and location.
If you call Laxland- they run a Sunday League at Indian Hill HS. No practices and a lot of experienced players that like helping younger players get better.

I also believe both Celtic and Velocity run summer programs.

There is also a league that plays down at Lunken Fields in the evening during the week. Will try to find the info. Also there are several kids that just get together to take shots on a goalie and work on stick skills a couple of times a week on the Eastside. If you would like some contact info feel free to PM me.

Confused Dad
I think one thing to keep in mind is that most of these summer travel teams are designed to showcase juniors and seniors. When looking at the roster of Velocity whether it be Elite or Varsity 90% are incoming Juniors or Seniors. Just a thought. I did PM you if you would like to get your son on a team. There is a team still looking for players that may work for you.

Is it possible or do you have any idea who to contact about anything specific the evaluators saw as negatives so that my son would know specifically what he needs to work on for next year?

I would suggest e-mailing whoever the head coach was. Thank him for the opportunity to try out, and ask him -- based on his coaches' observations of your boy -- what your boy should concentrate on getting better at during the offseason.

Really though, in my experience as a coach, this is most effective when the player in question approaches me directly.

There have been a couple kids I like to use as (anonymous) examples... kids who have approached me and -- with a spirit of humility -- asked me what they need to work on getting better at so they can earn more playing time. I will absolutely go to any lengths to help that kid. Put in extra time, throw him feeds after practice, and so on. I've seen some dramatic results. It's the kind of stuff that drives us all to be coaches.

Here is a fact for you. I just watched the Velocity Varsity team lose 9 of 10 face-offs in the laxi-nati championship game. That's more face-offs lost than my son who couldn't make this team lost all year.

Dad, you really need to stop talking. Your giving you and your kid a bad name trying say your son should be on this team or that team. The judges were fair, your son wasn't good enough and probably won't get that D1 scholarship. You sound like a player and his dad on my high school team and no one liked them so move on.

Here is a fact for you. I just watched the Velocity Varsity team lose 9 of 10 face-offs in the laxi-nati championship game. That's more face-offs lost than my son who couldn't make this team lost all year.

Enough already!

You are once again unfairly questioning the integrety of the coaches that selected the teams. Everyone is trying to be nice to you about this but now it it is time to move on.

Enough already!

You are once again unfairly questioning the integrety of the coaches that selected the teams. Everyone is trying to be nice to you about this but now it it is time to move on.

I'm gone. the gentleman wanted me to get facts and I made an observation that in a one goal loss
they unfortunately didn't win any face-offs when someone was stating that face-off percentages don't matter I think that they might. No worries. The Velocity obviously has a very good team to get to where they got but they may be missing a face-off guy is all.

You seriously need to cut it, It a travel team in Cincinnati. This isn't a travel team in upstate New York or Baltimore where its a big deal. Ok your son didn't make the team, and he won 3 whole faceoffs! You don't need to complain about it and blame the coaches, who were from the top programs in Cincinnati and even some from Columbus. If anyone should be complaining its your son not you.

I'm gone. the gentleman wanted me to get facts and I made an observation that in a one goal loss
they unfortunately didn't win any face-offs when someone was stating that face-off percentages don't matter I think that they might. No worries. The Velocity obviously has a very good team to get to where they got but they may be missing a face-off guy is all.

What a shame!!! If only the Velocity team could have had your son doing face offs, they would have won. Those mean old stupid coaches just don't recognize REAL talent when they see it.

Don't pay any attention to Confused Dad. He is obviously not a real judge of talent. He suggested in an earlier post that a certain player from Turpin, yes Turpin, was one of the best midfielders in Ohio. Not just Southwest Ohio (still not true by the way) the whole State of Ohio. LOL.

What a shame!!! If only the Velocity team could have had your son doing face offs, they would have won. Those mean old stupid coaches just don't recognize REAL talent when they see it.

Don't pay any attention to Confused Dad. He is obviously not a real judge of talent. He suggested in an earlier post that a certain player from Turpin, yes Turpin, was one of the best midfielders in Ohio. Not just Southwest Ohio (still not true by the way) the whole State of Ohio. LOL.

For my last post ever on this site I would just like to apologize to those I offended. Whether I agreed or disagreed with the turn-out of the try-out I should have kept my mouth shut and moved on. Instead I offered up a few things that I should have been mature enough to keep to myself and didn't.

So I am sorry and good luck to all the young laxers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.