SVSM Irish 2024

I sure hope. Their recent history indicates otherwise.

As much as some would like them to go with an outside guy, the history of the program indicates that the best head coaches have had a connection to the program. Wentz, Cistone, Boardman, all inside SVSM guys. Guys like Nickol, Wakefield and Brophy, nope. As an outside guy, I thought Wiggins had some potential.
This

I sure hope. Their recent history indicates otherwise.

As much as some would like them to go with an outside guy, the history of the program indicates that the best head coaches have had a connection to the program. Wentz, Cistone, Boardman, all inside SVSM guys. Guys like Nickol, Wakefield and Brophy, nope. As an outside guy, I thought Wiggins had some potential.

Given the private school dynamic, which you would know far better than me, is it more important to have the right Admin. or the right coach? Hoban for instance seems to have made athletic success a part of their strategic business model, with buy-in from top to bottom. Are the religious, academic, and athletic missions ever in conflict internally?

Its kinda how I look at the Ed vs. Iggy situation too. Like they could turn it back on basically overnight if they truly prioritized it. But I'm probably way oversimplifying.

Given the private school dynamic, which you would know far better than me, is it more important to have the right Admin. or the right coach? Hoban for instance seems to have made athletic success a part of their strategic business model, with buy-in from top to bottom. Are the religious, academic, and athletic missions ever in conflict internally?

Its kinda how I look at the Ed vs. Iggy situation too. Like they could turn it back on basically overnight if they truly prioritized it. But I'm probably way oversimplifying.
It's kind of a chicken or the egg argument. You need a strong administration to make the commitment, financial and otherwise, and to stay the course when criticism comes early. On the other hand you need to right guy at the helm who's both a football guy and a salesman that can sell the program to teenage boys as well as to the alumni.

As for the conflict of interests, these days I think you may have conflicting academic and athletic interests as you would at any school, especially when there's an emphasis on athletics but I don't see a religion based conflict. Years ago, you'd hear mumblings when the privates started having the non-CYO type athletes, however, that's changed. I think that people realize that if you really believe the Catholic religious based education makes a true difference in the lives of its students then just providing that education to the members of your faith is just "preaching to the choir."

As for priorities, it's a big financial commitment to be a Hoban. From everything from the new weight room to travel to equipment, it's more expensive to be a power in football than it is in basketball.

Call me old school but Akron area football SORELY needs a strong St. V and Buchtel. To slow down the Hoban train obviously (I admit self-interest), and it is just better to have more good teams in the area. I miss playing both.
Buchtel is trying to get better every year hopefully st v get a good coach they be really good strong team I just wish state champ would come to Akron

Last edited:
well with that third straight state championship loss a lot of players are starting to go else where like massilllon Walsh or Toledo. There is a really great young mobile qb and is making his decision to either play for stvm or Hoban and we need a 4 year Qb and they kind of need to pick up the pace before Hoban snatches him.

Also I do indeed have another source of coach Tim Tyrell. There is a good chance he might be leaving in a season or two. This is from inside scoop cannot give you any information on who it is but in my opinion this would take the Hoban program back a tad

Tyrell was very close to being named the YSU coach before a big donor alum jumped in late and forced the decision in another direction.

The rumor was Akron too couple years ago. If he had or has college ambitions I wonder if the last 3 losses took some bloom off the rose.

I think Larlham. School obviously likes his leadership to have him as an admin. Already in the building, has HC experience.
I think hiring Larlham might be a big mistake in my opinion I’m hearing nothing but positive things about the man. But in the words of Janet Jackson what has he done for us lately our offense regressed along with our defense how can he possibly bring us back to relevancy with everything needing to be fixed.

I think hiring Larlham might be a big mistake in my opinion I’m hearing nothing but positive things about the man. But in the words of Janet Jackson what has he done for us lately our offense regressed along with our defense how can he possibly bring us back to relevancy with everything needing to be fixed.
Because he has done it before at CVCA. As you say he is well respected.

I think we need to be careful not to make him guilty by association from being on a previous staff. I have seen this happen many times in business. A new employee, hired as a subordinate, comes into a mature established business, and suggests changes/improvements based on his work experience. Those ideas get vetoed or disregarded. So the company proceeds down the same path it always has. At the very least, an opportunity was missed to evaluate and try out a new method of doing things - that may just be better than the old standard.

I certainly wasn't privy to the recent inner workings of the program. I won't hold any on the field result against Larlham because he may have been given guidelines of what to do by Coach Cistone.

Having Dan Boarman on the search committee is an excellent step. He should be able to help match up program requirements versus candidates' experience from a "boots on the ground" level.

We will all know soon enough.

I think we need to be careful not to make him guilty by association from being on a previous staff. I have seen this happen many times in business. A new employee, hired as a subordinate, comes into a mature established business, and suggests changes/improvements based on his work experience. Those ideas get vetoed or disregarded. So the company proceeds down the same path it always has. At the very least, an opportunity was missed to evaluate and try out a new method of doing things - that may just be better than the old standard.

I certainly wasn't privy to the recent inner workings of the program. I won't hold any on the field result against Larlham because he may have been given guidelines of what to do by Coach Cistone.

Having Dan Boarman on the search committee is an excellent step. He should be able to help match up program requirements versus candidates' experience from a "boots on the ground" level.

Larlham isn't the guy anyway.

Dan boarman has been on the committee for last 3 hires from Wattley to Nickol to cistone he’s always been there.

Doran Grant is confirmed. Will be announced tomorrow. This just goes to show that this job is not attractive anymore that we resorted to a gimmick hire. I loved Doran when he was here and he represented us very well at OSU and beyond. However, in order to get back on an even playing field with Hoban, this was not the move to do it. I hope he proves me wrong but recruiting and raising money will be tough enough and add on to that, a coach with, what?? just one year of asst coaching experience???

Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong...

Doran Grant is confirmed. Will be announced tomorrow. This just goes to show that this job is not attractive anymore that we resorted to a gimmick hire. I loved Doran when he was here and he represented us very well at OSU and beyond. However, in order to get back on an even playing field with Hoban, this was not the move to do it. I hope he proves me wrong but recruiting and raising money will be tough enough and add on to that, a coach with, what?? just one year of asst coaching experience???

Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong...
Doran grant has been under quality coaches such as Dan boarman Marcus wattley and Urban Myer and just because he has only been an assistant for a year means nothing…. And cause a couple of y’all in here wanted him to get the job when the job was posted I have full confidence in him he more than likely will bring in his own staff. So be prepared

If Grant is the hire I don't have a problem with it. It's a little gimmicky as frs1930 suggests, but at the same time his experience at OSU and in the NFL will give him some gravitas in getting kids to come there and his lack of coaching experience can be offset with a good experienced staff.

Remember back to 2001 when there was a national search going on for a head football coach needed in the 614? When a young, energetic - yet unproven coach at the major D1 level was announced - everyone's reaction was "Wow, we have really fallen far that we can't even get an experienced D1 coach here at Ohio State...."

How'd that work out? The Senator is one of the most beloved coaches in Buckeye lore now.

I feel the same way about this hire. Teenagers buy with their eyes. They can see Doran's success at the high school, college and NFL level. He is far from a dad helping out the coaching staff. I can see him being highly successful developing relationships with the kids.

The key to his success will be getting a quality staff that all shares one vision. Everyone on staff needs to be working for the same goal, no time for outside agendas.

Time to take a breath and turn the page. It will be nice looking forward to the next chapter of Irish football.

Let’s not bring up lack of experience because we had a former coach from our staff named Bryan Williams who never called plays was hired by buchtel and in his first year he took the griffins deep in the playoffs like 2 rounds away from the state championship game and now buchtel is back. So let’s give Doran a chance he has NFL AND Collegiate experience and he probably won’t be the only former player who will return but things are going to change count on it…

Remember back to 2001 when there was a national search going on for a head football coach needed in the 614? When a young, energetic - yet unproven coach at the major D1 level was announced - everyone's reaction was "Wow, we have really fallen far that we can't even get an experienced D1 coach here at Ohio State...."

How'd that work out? The Senator is one of the most beloved coaches in Buckeye lore now.

I feel the same way about this hire. Teenagers buy with their eyes. They can see Doran's success at the high school, college and NFL level. He is far from a dad helping out the coaching staff. I can see him being highly successful developing relationships with the kids.

The key to his success will be getting a quality staff that all shares one vision. Everyone on staff needs to be working for the same goal, no time for outside agendas.

Time to take a breath and turn the page. It will be nice looking forward to the next chapter of Irish football.
I don’t remember anyone saying that about the Tressel hire
Let’s not bring up lack of experience because we had a former coach from our staff named Bryan Williams who never called plays was hired by buchtel and in his first year he took the griffins deep in the playoffs like 2 rounds away from the state championship game and now buchtel is back. So let’s give Doran a chance he has NFL AND Collegiate experience and he probably won’t be the only former player who will return but things are going to change count on it…
Coach Williams’s first year was a losing record. Second year Buchtel improved immensely, and won two playoff games, but I don’t think they got to the regional championship.

Regardless, best of luck to Coach Grant and the Irish.

I don’t remember anyone saying that about the Tressel hire

Coach Williams’s first year was a losing record. Second year Buchtel improved immensely, and won two playoff games, but I don’t think they got to the regional championship.

Regardless, best of luck to Coach Grant and the Irish.
Coach Williams had a losing record in the regular season but his team did make the playoffs still and continued to win games when it mattered.

Coach Williams had a losing record in the regular season but his team did make the playoffs still and continued to win games when it mattered.
No, Buchtel did not make the playoffs his first year. Been on the upswing ever since, though! He’s done a very good job, there.