SVSM Irish 2024

No worries! Dom's last game for the Irish was Coach Boarman's last game as well. STVM lost to Hoban in the regional final at Infocision. It was a great game between two great teams. At the end, Hoban had 4th and 1 and the Irish 30 yard line and went for it try to run out the clock. They handed the ball to Sibley and got hit with the loudest tackle I had ever heard in my life. Nunley or McAllister just ran head on into Sibley and stopped him in his tracks. You could hear it in the stands over the yells! This gave the Irish basically one play (which had to go 70 yards). They tried this flea flicker where the ball finally got back to Davis. He ran around a spotted Sampson, who had slipped behind the defense and was close to by himself. Well, Dom spotted him just a half second too late and the Hoban rush got enough of him that he couldn't get a clean release and the ball didn't quite get to Sampson. If you will recall, Sampson was really fast and really strong! He was faster than anyone strong enough to tackle him. And stronger than anyone who had the speed to catch him. This was one year after the punt return against Hubbard, and I sometimes think what would've happened had Dom spotted him just a second earlier. A couple of Hoban DB's might have had an angle on him, but my money would have been on Sampson!. Any way, it was a great game and Hoban went on to win the title that year.
Sure was I just hope Dom can be innovative with our run game power T singleback wing tight anything that can get our offensive runninggame going again and our passing game will pick up but it’s our running game I’m concerned about

Just because you can play bigtime doesn’t necessarily mean you can successfully coach.
Tell that to Ricky powers anyone who has an opportunity to play in the NFL is technically a coach in training the amount of hours spent watching film. Grant had the opportunity to play for one of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history.

Tell that to Ricky powers anyone who has an opportunity to play in the NFL is technically a coach in training the amount of hours spent watching film. Grant had the opportunity to play for one of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history.
Certainly, playing at a high level would help but there are countless guys who have played at the top levels who were not successful coaches. On the flip side, there are plenty of guys who never played beyond high school and were never more than average players that are top notch coaches. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can teach it or be a leader.

As for the "one of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history" I assume you mean Mike Tomlin for whom Grant played 3 games in 2015.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Grant well.

Last edited:
Outside looking in appears to be the best hire they could find. Enjoyed watching Doran as a player. I wonder how long it will take him to renew the Holy war rivalry? My guess is not long. Best of luck to the Irish in rebuilding a long time rival and state power.

Certainly, playing at a high level would help but there are countless guys who have played at the top levels who were not successful coaches. On the flip side, there are plenty of guys who never played beyond high school and were never more than average players that are top notch coaches. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can teach it or be a leader.

As for the "one of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history" I assume you mean Mike Tomlin for whom Grant played 3 games in 2015.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Grant well.
But your missing my point, do you know how much information grant probably took from him during his stint. He has play calling experience and leadership qualities that make him the right fit; he probably won’t call plays but he’ll have a big impact on the defense like coach Murphy did when he coached the cornerbacks. like I said when stvm went looking for the next head coach we didn’t need a offensive or defensive guru we needed a leader and we got that and if he went through Dan boarman and Dru Joyce then I’m confident that they were confident in him to lead our program.

But your missing my point, do you know how much information grant probably took from him during his stint. He has play calling experience and leadership qualities that make him the right fit; he probably won’t call plays but he’ll have a big impact on the defense like coach Murphy did when he coached the cornerbacks. like I said when stvm went looking for the next head coach we didn’t need a offensive or defensive guru we needed a leader and we got that and if he went through Dan boarman and Dru Joyce then I’m confident that they were confident in him to lead our program.
Not missing your point, I'm pointing out that playing experience does not necessarily equate to being a good coach. I wish him well and like the choice but a guy like Jay Brophy had an NFL career much longer than Grant and it didn't do him much good with SVSM or Manchester.

By the way, I like the hire.

Here is a major component of coaching you are misunderstanding; it’s not what YOU know as a COACH, it is what you can get the players to UNDERSTAND.

Here is a major component of coaching you are misunderstanding; it’s not what YOU know as a COACH, it is what you can get the players to UNDERSTAND.
All I’m saying is let’s allow him to get these guys on the field before anyone of us has these narratives of “that playing experience does not necessarily equate to being a good coach.” or even my statement saying or “how much information grant probably took from him during his stint. He has play calling experience and leadership” we need to see the proof in the pudding before we can make any statements like that because it’s not fair to him.

I remember when stvm hired Cistone everyone was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his last name regardless of his previous record or other achievements/accolades. Plus he was hired because he had head coaching experience and his last name. Let’s see how grant does and give him time and support to develop a culture here. Coach Wattley was a second year coach who was great and was able to get us in the playoffs two years in a row and the culture was a good one but he didn’t have support like how Nickol and Cistone got.

I remember when stvm hired Cistone everyone was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his last name regardless of his previous record or other achievements/accolades. Plus he was hired because he had head coaching experience and his last name. Let’s see how grant does and give him time and support to develop a culture here. Coach Wattley was a second year coach who was great and was able to get us in the playoffs two years in a row and the culture was a good one but he didn’t have support like how Nickol and Cistone got.
Relax there fella'. Nobody here is talking him down by any means or not giving him a chance. They're just not willing to ASSUME that his playing experience automatically translates to being a successful coach. The post by @SeeYaSometime Friday afternoon was on point.

Being a great player can also have the counter negative effect that they can really teach or explain how they did what they did, little on pass that "automatically" on to some 15-17 year old.

I suspect that decision will be as much or more the administration's call, as it was when the decision was made.
That's simple. To be the best you have to beat the best, if I'm interviewing to be the coach that's one of the first things I ask. "Am I going to be able to schedule Hoban and Massillon?" "If not, I don't want the job."

That's simple. To be the best you have to beat the best, if I'm interviewing to be the coach that's one of the first things I ask. "Am I going to be able to schedule Hoban and Massillon?" "If not, I don't want the job."

Buddy this is the first time in history your team is actually officially “the best” so maybe take it down a notch.

Oh wait crap I forgot you guys count all those newspaper polls from the 40s or whatever. Good for you.

Anyway, I’d certainly like to see The Holy War come back. I’m sure most everyone else would too.

Massillon wins one state championship (congrats) and considers themselves to be “the best”. Plenty of other teams (“the best”) for the Irish to play where they can home and homes. Massillon being unwilling to do that ends that conversation in a hurry. Kudos to Ed’s, Glenville, etc for being willing to do that.

Massillon wins one state championship (congrats) and considers themselves to be “the best”. Plenty of other teams (“the best”) for the Irish to play where they can home and homes. Massillon being unwilling to do that ends that conversation in a hurry. Kudos to Ed’s, Glenville, etc for being willing to do that.
Never really understood where they get off refusing to travel. It isn’t like Paul Brown is some amazing stadium.

Thanks Clark. It’s good to know there are people that understand that the decision was more than about football (at it relates to Hoban)
A decision to not renew a football rivalry was cancelled for reason(s) more than football? Please explain. Also of St. V was the hammer and not the nail in recent years, do you feel the same decision would would have been made? A related question, was the decision to not renew with Glenville about football or was that also about more than football?

A decision to not renew a football rivalry was cancelled for reason(s) more than football? Please explain. Also of St. V was the hammer and not the nail in recent years, do you feel the same decision would would have been made? A related question, was the decision to not renew with Glenville about football or was that also about more than football?
Not going to rehash the reason why St V has stopped playing Hoban. It’s been discussed on Yappi ad nauseam.

From what I understand the 2024 schedule is a work in process. They wanted/needed to get through the coaching search before setting the schedule. I hope the Irish renew with Glenville. Love the early season matchup.

Agreed.
I almost forgot that St V played Massillon for 8 years straight...in Massillon.
I somehow doubt that one of Doran Grant's demands to take the St V job was that the Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away series with Massillon be resumed.

Not going to rehash the reason why St V has stopped playing Hoban. It’s been discussed on Yappi ad nauseam.

From what I understand the 2024 schedule is a work in process. They wanted/needed to get through the coaching search before setting the schedule. I hope the Irish renew with Glenville. Love the early season matchup.
No need to rehash but what are the non-football reasons? If it’s Hoban successfully recruiting student athletes I’d argue that is 100% a football related reason. And it’d seem like a total contradiction considering how successful St. V is in recruiting student athletes for boys basketball.

Last edited:
Agreed.
I somehow doubt that one of Doran Grant's demands to take the St V job was that the Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away and Away series with Massillon be resumed.
The games were all well attended, especially the first 5 or so, it made sense to play them in a venue that held more than 3k

Buddy this is the first time in history your team is actually officially “the best” so maybe take it down a notch.

Oh wait crap I forgot you guys count all those newspaper polls from the 40s or whatever. Good for you.

Anyway, I’d certainly like to see The Holy War come back. I’m sure most everyone else would too.
Agreed.
There is only reason the Massillon-SVSM series will not be renewed. The Irish can’t compete. Sorry, it’s a fact.