State ACME Tournament

ramdog22

July 16th through the 18th in St. Henry.
20220712_071624.jpg

https://dailystandard.com/archive/2022-07-13/stories/45673/enjoying-the-ride.

And this is why we coach and support ACME baseball.

Tom Brunswick, part kf the first family of HS baseball in Ohio, joins his dad Lou and brother Mark into the ACME Hall of Fame.

It is a tremendous honor to have been coached by Lou, Mark and Tom, and coach with Tom, in my career. They, along with their bother Scoop, have been a staple on HS diamonds for decades and I am proud to call them friends, mentors. What they collectively have done for HS baseball and the kids for over 60 years is unprecedented.

Congrats Strike, you deserve it, and I hope to be there Saturday to see ya get inducted into the HoF.

Proud of you my friend.

Great day of games.

Van wert 4
India. Lake 2.
IL had tying runners on in the 7th.

Coldwater 1
Napoleon 0.
CW throws out tying run at the plate with two outs in the 6th.

Defiance steamrolls Russia 11-1

St Henry shocks the world with a walk off 2-1 win over Perrysburg.

Sunday can wert/CW.
Def/SH.

Tremendous atmosphere and noticed a half dozen scouts checking out the action and I know a few kids got some good attention.

Coldwater VS Defiance tonight in the State ACME Championship. This will be the 60th ACME Champion that will be crowned.

A big deal, indeed:

Defiance and Coldwater, whom also boast upstanding spring season totals throughout the years, have faced of in the ACME Finals 4 previous seasons ('87, 89, '06 and 13) with the Bulldogs coming out victorous each time. Coldwater has beaten Defiance in the finals before but that was when the State Tournament was double elimination (that ended about a decade or so ago).

Defiance has 11 ACME titles and 5 runners up. They have 4 OHSAA Spring titles (1992, 2013, 2015, 2016). ACME titles preceeded/directly followed 3 of those titles.

Legacy.

Coldwater has 8 ACME titles and 12 runners up. They have 7 spring titles (83, 84, 87, 90, 92, 14, 19). ACME titles/runners up preceeded/directly followed 6 of those titles).

Legacy.

Coldwater appeared in the first ACME Title game way back in 1961 against Bettsville. Coldwater's coach at the time, HoF Coach Lou Brunswick (with over 1500 career wins in spring, acme and legion, along with 5 others (Gene Steiner, Henry Steiner, Andrew White, Harold Faller and Harold Sidell) created ACME baseball to give the kids something to play in the summer.

And the rest is history.

Both programs have been a staple of ACME baseball throughout the decades.

I expect Defiance to throw a Jiminez tonite. I want to say his dad was an ACME Champion in the late 80s as a standout pitcher. Coldwater postponed their traditional PeeWee and Minor League All Star games under the lights tonite. My takeway from that is maybe Coldwater is looking to bring up one of those youngsters to pitch tonite.

Coldwater and Tom Brunswick and the spring Coach Brian Harlamert have done a fantastic job over the years but I would like to throw some extra special kudos to Defiance and their spring coach Tom Held.

As we all know, they have pumped tremendous talent through that system over the years with multiple D1 players and some big leaguers as well and I expect that a few of those on this summer's squad will soon follow suit.

Legacy.

To start a legacy you need talent. The future of a legacy are those kids outside the fence watching their older brothers, neighbors, friends, competing at the highest level and say to themselves 'i wanna do that when I grow up'. That desire to compete comes at a young age.

Legacy.

ACME baseball is your team. Your town. Your school. Your community. Your lifelong friends. Your family.
Over time, families disperse around the area and you may not see them as much as you would like, but for big events they always come back together.

Family.

I have seen Defiance kids fly back from all over the country to be available to pitch for the ACME State Tournament. Ive seen greats such as Billingsly, Niese amongst others who respect the program and the legacy of Defiance baseball and ensure they are there for their town, their team, their friends.

Defiance has three bonafide aces right now. I imagine all three could have been off to some other teams, be unavailable because they have or will pitch in yet another weekend tournament like they do every other weekend and play in front of 30-40 disinterested family members but instead Defiance players over the years continually respect the program, the town, their coaches and teammates, and come home.

Legacy and Family.

You do not see that sort of loyalty everywhere. Even when a program is trying to start their own legacy some prefer only to see the name on the back of their uniform. That falls on the kid and parents.

I have been on my soapbox for years now about ACME baseball as it runs deep in this area and in my lifetime. I see and have traveled all over the region for something else and yeah, ya face some good talent and play on cool venues (that dont ever care to turn on their damned scoreboard) but that will never replace the legacy that ACME baseball can create for a program.

HS coaches, especially in ACME areas, and parents need to own up and realize it isnt always about that name on the back. You can go spend your thousands of dollars to be on some 'elite' squad but you should not forget about the legacy of your own town and school.

Ive literally seen 300-400 fans at district and state ACME games over the years. It brings a program together. It brings your community together. It helps build your program for the future so take advantage of it. Football and hoops coaches ensure their kids are under the roof for instruction each summer, so why dont more spring coaches place more emphasis on it? Those kids arent getting coached up on those travel teams. Many arent playing their natural positions or going through practices and learning the game of baseball. Throw out the bats, gloves and balls and go play.

I say it each year that this is my last stand on the importance of ACME baseball, but when one feels in their bones it is tough to give up on and I will never give up on the importance of ACME baseball for our kids, our towns, our communites, and our programs.

Goodluck to Defiance and Coldwater tonight. I expect a large crowd in St Henry at the Wally Post Athletic Complex.

Family.

Legacy.

No doubt about it, you are/have been a steady and outstanding advocate for ACME Baseball.
Thank you.
Just like everything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Programs like Springfield Shawnee, Central Catholic, West Liberty Salem (country concert) New Madison PLains and such who forfeit district ACME tournament games get nothing out of it because they put nothing into it.

Garbage leadership. Garbage programs. 30-64 spring records for those above who spit in the face of the game this summer by forfeiting games.

JImenez"s dad is not the pitcher you are thinking of in the 80"s. That was Chris Jimenez.
Thank you.
My apologies, i was told by two people that I believe would have known that it was him.

Great turnout last evening at the Wally Post Athletic Complex in wonder St Henry Ohio. Truly God's Country.

Well over 300 turned out, with quite a few in the Romer's Suites in right field, to watch this.....titanic struggle.

Jimenez was fantastic and as advertised and the Bulldogs brought their bats with over a dozen hits.
Something happened that I dont think i hever seen at the HS level. Coldwater's catcher threw out two trying to steal, and picked off one, in the same inning (by my candid eye, I did seem like he threw out all three trying to steal second but the 3rd was called safe a pitch or two prior pickoff and rundown for the third out).

A fantastic site to see such a large crowd supporting their team. Their town. Their program. Their school. From old crusties who have zero relatives on the team to well over 50 kids, the future of the programs, in attendance.

Legacy.

A 60th ACME Champion was crowned. Coach Gast of St Henry did a fantastic job with the state tournament and whomever hosts next year will have large shoes to fill. There are quite a few people that go into hosting a tournament and St Hank hit it out of the park. This isnt like your fleecing weekend tournaments you see where there is maybe one person there to maybe work on the field between games and dont bother turning the scoreboards on in most cases. Dozens of folks volunteered their time for these ACME tournaments (Sectional, District and State) from concessions, PA, scoreboard and grounds crew, to those setting up the tents down the lines for fans to use to ensure everyone has a positive experience.

Job.
Well.
Done.

Now to 2023!